Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 06:04:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Appreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Mrs. Kim / Emily Kuroda Appreciation  (Read 41033 times)
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 01:31:56 pm »

I don't know about her being happy about it, and I don't think that would be a bad thing.  I'm not happy about this engagement.  It's too soon, considering everything that's happened.  It's not even the fact that Lane and Zach are so young.  I know of someone who got married at 19, and was happily married for years and years.  So, it does happen.  But, I don't believe in these spontaneous proposals and acceptances where you're just so swept off your feet that you just can't help saying yes.  I mean, I think it appears that way in the moment, but that's because everything about the relationship has been building to that point.  The proposee may be surprised that he/she was being proposed to at that moment, but the fact that someday they would be proposed to probably wouldn't have come out of the blue. 

I would think that Mrs. Kim would at least ask Lane if she's sure.  If I was Mrs. Kim, I would have a lot of questions.  Are you saying yes because you love him and want to spend the rest of your life with him, and do you think he feels the same way -and more importantly, do you think you both actually understand what that entails?  Have you discussed the problems that broke you up in the first place?  A proposal isn't a magic eraser to get rid of problems.  I think she would support Lane, but I don't think she necessarily has to be happy, not unless they show that this marriage is more than an elaborate way for Zach to say he's sorry for being a jerk, and Lane to accept the apology.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
Alice
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 07:20:19 pm »

I don't think Mrs. Kim will be happy about it, either, and I don't think anyones entailed such. I think Mrs. Kim will be more accepting because the character seems to have grown. She's accepted that her daughter is not going to live life the way she was hoping and I think that that will make this blow a little softer.

I know she'll probably have a lot of questions. She'll make sure Lane and Zach are sure and that they aren't using marriage as a bandage for past troubles, and she'll question whether the two have discussed and resolved some of those problems.

And I'm convinced that Ms. Kuroda will portray it beautifully, however it happens.

P.S. - Which episode is it where Mrs. Kim chews out Zach at the magazine stand, saying something about devil dogs... or hell hounds? Darn, too much Buffy and Marines crap.
Darkkie
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »

Hmm... Can't think of it off the top of my head but it's hell hounds and it's in the 5th season, The Party's Over.

Zach: And while Hellhounds is a really cool band name, the positive imagery stops there!

and later...

"I have to go walk by a church or something..."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 08:30:17 am by Darkkie » Logged

I support the Lorelai-Luke relationship.

I suport the Rory-Logan relationship 100x more because after all, in my world God IS a woman and Logan and Rory will have to get back together.

gilmore_guy
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 55

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 12:23:40 pm »

Does anyone know what Mrs. Kim's first name is? Wink
Lindsay
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 05:44:17 pm »

Nope, Mrs. Kims first name has not been said on the show.

Forever FFF #5

Lorelai: Its like falling 600 feet to your death. You know, its fun the first 599 feet, but its just that last foot--total sucko
nikki
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 05:36:47 pm »

Any of you who know me from the Episode Forum will know that I, like many others, am very dissatisfied with the quality of the show lately.  It seems like so many characters are acting out of character in order to create contrived drama or to show wild caricatures for comic relief.

But there are two characters who I feel are always written well and in character.  Those are Lane and Mrs. Kim.  Mrs. Kim in this recent episode "In and Out or whatever it's called" was fantastic so I decided to post here to say so.

When Lane and Zack were talking about talking to Mrs. Kim I really didn't know what to expect.  I mean, she's been a strict conservative for quite some time, so it's not like she was going to squeal with joy at the announcement or simply roll over and say "you have my permission."  But at the same time she told Zack she wouldn't stand in his way, and she has generally been accepting of Lane's choices in life now (though in her own eccentric way), so it's not like she would forbid the marriage or disown Lane.

So this was perfect.  She didn't forbid it, but she made him work for it.  Awesome!

I think on the surface we are supposed to see Mrs. Kim as a woman of strict and high morals who is working hard to accept Lane's choices and somehow comes to terms with them.  But I think more deeply, Mrs. Kim is secretly proud of how Lane has broken out of the expectations of her family and followed her passion, but has to maintain her cover of being a woman of strict and high morals so she does goofy things (like the hit song, or the Christian tour, or fixing up the apartment) to make it look like she's compromising and doesn't fully approve.

I really wish Mrs. Kim would get more screen time!

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
nikki
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 02:53:19 pm »

Yes yes, this is technically a "double post."  But please notice my last post here was two weeks ago and this thread is about to go onto page 3, so a modify/edit didn't make sense.

ha HA!  (Triumphant haha, not laughing haha)  I feel like I have some verification of my theories about Mrs. Kim!

This is in reference to the latest episode (I Get a Sidekick out of You) where Mrs. Kimís mom comes and we see her in Laneís daughter role.  GranmamaKim is a Buddhist and apparently MamaKim is also supposed to be Buddhist because she hides all her 7th Day Adventist stuff when she arrives.

See?  Mrs. Kim knows what itís like to have your own beliefs that are different from the traditional ones you were brought up with.  And she knows what itís like to be hiding your true self from your parents.  So I think I was on to something when I said that sometimes it looked like MamaKim admired Lane for standing up for herself and who she wanted to be, because apparently MamaKim still hasnít done that.

And again, MamaKim respects and secretly approves of Laneís choices and lifestyle, but canít bring herself to openly approve it because that would go against her strict morals.  So she has to do subtle things like say sheís going to bed with earplugs to let Lane know she can party to her heartís content without actually saying so.

MamaKim reminds me of a teacher I had in HS.  He was our 9th grade Physics teacher, and he yelled, and was strict about rules, made extreme statements like ďif you ever say that heat rises instead of hot air rises, I will fail you!Ē and if you ever got close to saying one of the forbidden statements he would get this dangerous look in his eye, get an almost pounce-like posture and start shouting ďwhat?  WHAT?Ē to stop you from saying the unthinkable.  He made some people cry and one girl decided to drop the class and take it in 10th grade because she couldnít handle it.  But later, you find out heís just a big softie and the mean teacher ruse he pulls is just to maintain discipline.  Because if we knew he was a softie from the start all heck would break loose because we would know we could get away with anything.  But the way he did things, we never even tried to get away with anything cuz we were so scared, but we would have gotten away with it if we had tried.  Heís actually one of my top three favorite teachers and I still keep in touch with him and even invited him to the wedding (though he couldnít make it, though Iím sure you care Smiley)

I think mainly, MamaKim was a majorly strict hardass while Lane was growing up because that was how she knew to ensure Lane grew up into being a good and decent person.  But now that Lane is finished being raised, now that MamaKim really has no official say so in Lanes life, and now that she sees Lane has succeeded in becoming a good and decent person, she can ease off the reigns a bit and she accepts seeing her daughter become a different kind of good person than she is.

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
Phoenix
Town Resident

Community Points: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 09:22:02 pm »

I love the Mrs. Kim character. It was nice to see her accept Zach even though he wasn't a Korean doctor. She's always been interesting, especially when she isn't just stopping Lane from doing stuff.

Get Firefox 1.5
Happily a spree.
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

Community Points: 349

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 01:45:46 am »

I've always liked Mrs. Kim and the last episode was a really great one for her. We've learned many new things about her. It was interesting to see that she has a similar relationship with her mother as she has with Lane.

~ Foodie ~ Teacher's Pet ~
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
Kazu
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 06:39:09 pm »

I think what she said was "Prince made 57,000,000 take home last year. He didnít swear, and he mentioned God."

That was my favorite moment, it's the last thing one could expect from someone who's apparently living in her own close world and suddenly she says that and makes sense because is Ms. Kim. One of the best characters ever.
dancer1012
Town Elder

Community Points: 528

I'm in LOVE with Edward Cullen <3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 09:02:25 pm »

It seems to me like Mrs.  Kim has changed just ever so slightly over the past few years. But that may just be me. It's seems like she went from being so over protective and a little deranged at some times but then somewhere in the middle or start of the sixth season something happened that changed Mrs. Kim. Is that just me?

*~*Mary*~*
Darling & I + ebay=dying of laughter
<3 In love..
JusTcaLLmeRedhEad
Diner Owner

Community Points: 15

KeeP iT cOminG. (:

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 04:34:52 pm »

I absolutly loved the episode where Zack and Lane got married and Ms.Kim had to hid her stuff under the floor board from her mother just like Lane hid stuff from Ms.Kim. LOL.

just wondering..have we ever seen Mr.Kim?? Lane has often mentioned "her parents"..but I really dont think we've ever seen him.

roRy:: yOu LooK nIce kiRk. KirK:: thAnKs..thIs iS the sUit theY buRRieD my Dad in.

kIrk:: i'm sO daMn LonELy tHat noT evEn aNimaL pLanEt doEs it fOr mE anYmoRe.

kiRK faN fOr LiFe [:
addy_86
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 08:46:23 pm »

I've always wondered what happened to Lane's father.† Mrs. Kim is so strict about Lorelai never having married, but we have never seen Mr. Kim.† Does anyone know if he was ever mentioned?
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 08:54:34 pm »

Yes, he has been mentioned.  In Sadie, Sadie, Lane mentions her parents were discussing her trip to Korea.  Mr. Kim is like those characters on tv shows that get mentioned but are never seen.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 05:09:29 pm »

I was really hoping he'd show up for the wedding, but it sounds like we can assume from that episode that Mr.Kim and Mrs.Kim conceived Lane the 1st time they 'tried'!  I guess I've always imagined that he's out of country on business. 

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: