Fans over 30
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:42:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Fans over 30
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 77 Print
Author Topic: Fans over 30  (Read 153192 times)
MikeinLA
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 20

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 09:42:32 am »

As Merovia's first post was mature and well thought out, I vote we make her an honorary "over-30er" and let her in. The larger distinction seems to be between the teenagers and those of us past college age.

Cool

Shameless plug for my book:  http://www.lulu.com/undeadlyspring
mmcd1967
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:46:51 am »

I second the motion!! Welcome to the thread Merovia!! 
Merovia
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

supercalifragilistic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 03:03:26 pm »

Well thank you...

I've just finished my cand scient. degree at University so I guess thats past college, though I donøt know exactly how you translate the US educational system into "danish"

"Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable"
MikeinLA

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 03:25:29 pm »

My son-in-law is a Danish immigrant and is now a police officer in a medium-sized California city. When his family comes to visit, or when he returns to Denmark to visit them, they kid him that he now has an American accent. Here, he speaks English with very little accent.

The American educational system beyond high school (12th grade) typically consists of:

An associate's degree, which usually takes two years of college level courses beyond high school.
A bachelor's degree, which usually takes two more, or a total of four years beyond high school.
A master's degree, which typically takes about two more years beyond the bachelors degree.
A doctorate, which typically takes two to four years beyond a masters degree.

It is common for students to take longer than the minimum number of years to reach each degree. It took me five years to get my bachelors degree, and many years later, less than two to get the masters degree.

Rory is shown progressing towards her bachelor's degree at Yale University, a very prestigious school. Chilton was the private equivalent of high school, and she received a high school diploma upon graduation from that institution.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:29:06 pm by MikeinLA » Logged

Merovia
Town Resident

supercalifragilistic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 03:31:51 pm »

He he... I guess that both Danish spoken with an american accent and English spoken with a danish accent are quite funny... I enjoy "moking" both... especially people from copenhagen speaking english can be quite funny to listen to... I guess that the Danish accent just seem to be well ahem rather pronounced in a very obvious sort of way.

Me, since I've spend some time in the UK are more inklined towards the British accent...

I guess that my Cand Scient is about the same as a master degree...

Well I'm looking forward to all the "mature" debates we are going to have Wink

MikeinLA

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 04:25:01 pm »

If you were to travel around the United States, you'd hear dozens of different accents. This is partly due to the sheer size of the place and partly due to the fact that pretty much everyone here either came from somewhere else or is descended from someone who did.

In a cosmopolitan setting, you can listen to people speak and guess pretty well where they are from. Boston, for instance, has a very peculiar accent, as does Chicago or the states of the southeast, such as Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Some midwesterners have a flat twang which contains Swedish or Norwegian overtones. Some texans and Californians have accents with touches of Mexican in them. Some people in New Orleans have a very pronounced Cajun accent, which is kind of mangled french and a little Spanish. There are many more.

It's all very fascinating.

Don't know if this is a proper subject for this thread, but I guess as we are the senior citizens here, we can discuss whatever we want. Besides, the reason I know all these accents is because I've traveled all over the country before and after I was 30.

Cool
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:26:17 pm by MikeinLA » Logged

Tel
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 08:17:15 pm »

Hi all fans over 30, i am 32 and love GG - its my fav show! Cool
Merovia
Town Resident

supercalifragilistic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »

Yes, accent are very fascinating, even in a small country susch as Denmark (5 million inhabitants) we have a wide selection. Sadly the accents are dying out, still you can easily tell if a person comes from Copenhagen, southern sealand, Fyn, Bornholm or some part of Jutland.

I for instance grew up in sealand, but I've been studying in Aarhus which is the 2nd biggest city in DK, which I guess has caused a mingling of to different accent

I've never been travelling around your country, but I would like to one day (along with all the other places I would love to see)

MikeinLA

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 10:55:16 pm »

I was in Denmark for a few days several years ago. We had taken the train from Stockholm, and they put the train on a ferry boat to come into Copenhagen. My son-in-law more recently gave me a t-shirt from Viborg.

My mom is a Swede, and I recall the Swedes and Danes make jokes about each other. They are the same jokes; the punch line just depends on who is telling it.

Grin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:57:19 pm by MikeinLA » Logged

mmcd1967
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:46 pm »

Welcome Tel!!!
Merovia
Town Resident

supercalifragilistic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 02:41:56 am »

He he that is true (about the Swede/Danes jokes) Though I think that there are quite a few more about drunken Swedes than Danes... since drinks are a lot cheaper in DK than S.

Lucky that the only banter we have with the Swedes now are of the peaceful kind... That is not how it used to be Wink

Actually there are quite a few along the same line just about people from Aarhus.

How funny that you have are so "well versed" in Scandinavia... By the way, the ferry boat has been put out of business after they bulid "Øresunds Broen" which is the bridge connecting Denmark to Sweden. If you want to go by boat now a days you have to go to Helsingør and take the 20 minute ferry ride to Helsingborg

Well that's it for the inter scnadinavian lesson Wink Roll Eyes

MikeinLA

Lauren as VAMPIRE?!?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 09:51:52 am »

A Norwegian, a Dane, and a Swede are traveling and come to a farm where they decide to spend the night. The farmer says, "Two of you may sleep in the house, but one will have to sleep out in the shed with the pigs."

The Norwegian says, "You two sleep in the house and I'll go sleep with the pigs." All go to bed, but five minutes later, the Norwegian comes out and says, "I can't do it. It's too awful. One of you will have to sleep with the pigs."

So, the Dane says, "I'll go. You two sleep in the house." All go to bed, but five minutes later, the Dane comes out. "I can't do it, either," he says.

"Oh, all right," says the Swede. "I'll go sleep with the pigs. You two sleep in the house." The Swede then goes out and goes into the shed.

Five minutes later, all the pigs come out.

Grin

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 10:32:28 am »

I'm glad you guys are here, too. I'm kind of not interested in Jess's hair, and some of the kids on the Lauren Graham thread think it would be neet for her to be their mom and make them breakfast. I'd like for her to make me breakfast, too.

Ooops. Sorry. Bad MikeinLA!

Roll Eyes

Sigh. How would they feel if their parents started comparing them to Rory?

Merovia
Town Resident

supercalifragilistic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 10:44:12 am »

Since when has Lorelai started making anyone breakfast Cheesy  Grin

So I guess that would spoil the scenario a little...

JenJenZ
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 10:19:52 am »

Cheesy Hello, I'm new here, I will be 31 in October and my best friend who introduced me to the show will be 32 in two weeks.  I love the sense of humor on this show, I laugh sooo hard sometimes Cheesy Now I feel like I know these people and cry with them.  I know that sounds weird but just imagine if you could move to Stars Hollow.  How cool would that be?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 77 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: