Books mentioned in the show
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 11:37:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Books mentioned in the show
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Books mentioned in the show  (Read 29506 times)
bwayfan08
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

totally boss

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:50 pm »

This is a hard question!
Is there anyone who can make a complete list of either books mentioned or books that Rory read in the show?
If you can...kudos!
 Grin
kaylarox
Diner Regular

Community Points: 7

Rory is one of my favorite characters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:00:40 am »

wow, that is hard, no I can't unless I watch every episode of Gilmore Girls again.

nld101307
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

I'm never late, I'm just a perfectionist!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »

I was actually just searching all over the place for a thread for this! Too bad we haven't found anything yet though. I'm going to look around somewhere on the net and see if I can find anything  Wink

ok....right after i posted this i did a little google looking and i found this website: http://gilmoregirlsfanatic.com/rorys-book-club/ . The site said that the WB had a running list of the books mentioned on the show. I was impressed with this site though so I wanted to share! Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:11:01 pm by nld101307 » Logged

~SUPER HUGE thanks to Amber for this beautiful sig!!~
nld101307
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 04:29:38 pm »

Oh!! I found another one that might be a little better. http://www.listsofbests.com/list/21950 . Check them out!!

*note: this website also includes movies that are mentioned during the show if anyone's interested! Hope I helped!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:33:33 pm by nld101307 » Logged

ftworthgirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »

Thanks so much for the websites listing the books.  They are both great.  I'm always asking my daughter to rewind and pause the DVD so I can hear or see what book and movie the GGs are reading and watching.  We've even found some of the old movies, i.e. Room with a View, played when Rory and Emily go to Europe.
Thanks again.
nld101307
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »

Thanks so much for the websites listing the books.  They are both great.  I'm always asking my daughter to rewind and pause the DVD so I can hear or see what book and movie the GGs are reading and watching.  We've even found some of the old movies, i.e. Room with a View, played when Rory and Emily go to Europe.
Thanks again.

Sure! No problem! Its hard to keep up sometimes so having a list definitely helps! I've started on some of the books on the list (although I already had them, I just hadn't the chance to get to them just yet...i read a lot  Tongue). I've gotten through a chunk of "Great Expectations" but its definitely a harder read. I can usually get through a book in days but this one...its different. Dickens is definitely a wordy man but I'm enjoying it!

ftworthgirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:14:43 pm »

Yeh, I wish that I had kept a list of everything that I've read since college.  Somehow, I get the feeling that Rory did.  I think I read Great Expectations in college, but maybe not.  After reading a Tale of Two Cities in high school, I decided that Dickens was too depressing.  Now that my daughter is reading some of these for high school, I'm reliving those memories.  I'm going to look at the list again, and see which ones appeal to me.  It's fun to read the classics, which is what makes watching GG so fun.  I always loved the references to movies, books, etc.  We still watch and re-watch the DVDs of GG.   
t.j.s babe
Stars Hollow Tourist

edward cullen=love and perfection

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:51 pm »

ive tryed to keep up w/ rg's reading nearly impossible

ftworthgirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:39 pm »

Smiley Since first reading the post about the list of books mentioned on GG, the idea has really grabbed my interest.  As we rewatch all of the episodes, I've started compiling a list of books mentioned or even viewed (as in The Howl) on the show.  It may take a while, but once it's put together, I'll find a place to post it.   
drain
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:34:26 am »

Hunter Thompson  Cheesy

kaygal
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:29:41 am »

GG incorporates books/ themes & chars really well into the show, particularly liked the Melville knocking ppl.'s hats off (lol) & daisy miller references. I actually got into daisy miller thanks to the show!  Smiley
James
Town Troubadour

Community Points: -12

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:29 pm »

GG incorporates books/ themes & chars really well into the show, particularly liked the Melville knocking ppl.'s hats off (lol) & daisy miller references. I actually got into daisy miller thanks to the show!  Smiley

I agree with you!!

Rock gives children, on a silver platter, with all the public authority of the entertainment industry, everything their parents always used to tell them they had to wait for until they grew up and would understand later.
-Allan Bloom
ftworthgirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:18:44 pm »

Smiley I continue to be amazed at how many books, paintings, movies and popular culture are referenced in the GG shows.  Today while showing my theater class an old Marcel Marceau TV show, I recognized the famous panotmime skit that was the inspiration for Kirk's "birth to death" performance at Miss Patty's dance studio recital.  Amazin'. 
Nigella
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »

Does anyone have a list of movies mentioned in the show???!
Ange
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/21950  this one might have it i think...

and i just finished lovley bones emily sadi she read it for a book club or something and lorelia catches her on really never even reading i think in not sure i remember the scene quite that well
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: