6.11 - The Perfect Dress
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 06:53:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 118442 Members
Latest Member: HStevenso

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 6
| | |-+  6.11 - The Perfect Dress
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: 6.11 - The Perfect Dress  (Read 48450 times)
Gilmore_Lover
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 77

*Jenny*

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 05:10:14 pm »

Tonight! Only 3 hours!

<333 WATCH THIS--It'll change your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 .ONE LOVE.
mela489
Town Elder

Community Points: 307

<3 Tuesday nights are my day of the week <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 06:24:05 pm »

I'm not going to spoil this for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it is just fantastic! (well until you see the preview for next week's)  This is an episode which reminds you why you love Gilmore Girls so much.  Oh, and Rory is finally back to normal! yeah!

Melanie ~JavaJunkie~ *Noodie* ~Dodger~ *Headliner* Angela! Hearts Always PTS's at heart Hearts Just say,"Yes M.A.M.M"
PootWigglester
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 06:25:27 pm »

Is anyone else bothered that they are recylcing an actress to play Anna Nardini?  In case you don't remember, Sherilyn Fenn played Sasha in season 3, Jess' father's girlfriend.  I also heard that Amy Sherman-Palladino wanted to write a new part for Wayne Wilcox who played Marty... but if she just writes a completely new character like she did for Sherilyn Fenn, I'll be heartbroken.
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

Community Points: 57

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 06:37:40 pm »

I've heard nothing of the sort about Wayne Wilcox, but rather that she wants to find a way to reintegrate Marty into the show. Either way, though, this belongs in the 6.11 thread.

Erin
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

The poster formerly known as lovingg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:48 pm »

Yeah, I know, I came here thinking there'd already be a few pages, and yet there's nothing!  I don't know why we couldn't post, since it's already aired, but I don't know. 

I didn't like the dress either.  Or the fact that she showed it to Luke.  Or the fact that once again the promo shows a scene that happens in the last minute of the episode.  Grr, Evil Promo Man!

I did however think this episode felt like the old Gilmore Girls.  I absolultely loved it, and I laughed out loud on several occasions, something that hasn't happened as much recently. 

Let's hear it for continuity!  I'm so glad that Rory and Lorelai made a belated birthday trip to Atlantic City.  That was a great opener for the episode. 

Did anyone else think Logan's appearing and declaring his love was a lot like Jess appearing and declaring his love? 

Favorite quotes:

Lorelai:  Make sure you start with, "My mom is very hot."

Paris: I'm not your mother, or a hugger.  If you want love, get a hooker.

Zach (is his name with a ch or ck?):  Yeah, I can tell there's a major rush on ancient crap.

Rory:  I have roommates who are learning to kill people. 

Lorelai:  Blame everything on your grandmother.

Great episode! 

mela489
Town Elder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 07:25:17 pm »

i agree it was a great episode, and people in CA are 3 hours different from people on the East Coast, but you know, i guess if they don't want to ruin it then just don't read this thread until after they see the episode, and they only have an hour to go.

I agree with Luke about white dresses, especally Lorelai's.  It is pretty in some ways, but i don't like the front top, and i think it would be even cuter if it had the sleves that go below the sholder.

Melanie ~JavaJunkie~ *Noodie* ~Dodger~ *Headliner* Angela! Hearts Always PTS's at heart Hearts Just say,"Yes M.A.M.M"
nikki

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 07:29:12 pm »

The dress looked fine on the dummy... I didn't flip over it, but it was nice.  But on her?  Maybe it was just the frumpy face on her, or the frumpy way she was standing, but it made a pooch in her tummy stand out in my opinion.

I feel like i have to rewatch the episode before I assess it.  Initially, though...

So many things seems layed back and casual.  Rory and Lorelai's banter at the beginning and then casually referring to the fight.  Luke and Anna, pretty casual considering the length of time, history, and current situation.  Lorelai about the wedding.  Luke about Lorelai making all the wedding plans.  It just seemed all "whatever."

I found Rory's psych eval odd.  First of all, the way she expected to breeze through it.  Like they just wanted to see that she wasn't about to commit suicide, and then give her the stamp of approval.  Second, the psychologist wasn't very good.  Asking all those questions like that sounded judgemental.  I know she was late, but he still should have taken time to establish some rapport, and then asked open ended questions.  I know he tried to at first ("So why did you leave?"), but then he went nutty (pun sort of intended).  I mean, he can't see "defensive" when it's flailing in front of him?

Though I didn't have the same interest in the dress that Lorelai had, I did understand the feeling.  I actually ordered one dress that I felt good about (but honestly was a little pressured into by my helpers), and then since they told me who the designer was, I looked online and saw she had tons of other dresses.  I saw another one that made me call off my other order until I tried that one on, and it ended up being THE dress Smiley  I didn't get all my planning done that day, but I still do get that feeling Smiley

More to come!

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 07:30:50 pm »

Okay, I decided to just delete the last post.  Dress: Ugly.  Showing it to Luke?  I still don't care.  I'm a rebel.

What pheremones does Rory bathe in?  First, Mr. Casual decides to be her boyfriend.  Then, we find out that he can't take fighting and drama, but apparently she's so wonderful that he decides she's worth it and -wait for it - he declares his love for her.  If it wasn't for the fact that I don't think I could take another girly girly lets get Rory a mate story, I'd love to see a significant guy (meaning not just some stranger in the laundry) tell her "hey, you're okay, but I just don't like you that much."

And, that therapy session!  I've heard that it's pretty accurate as far as the therapist's actions go, but I was so disappointed that it didn't really get into Rory's issues of why she dropped out of school.  Instead, it was a whine fest because a boy said he loved her.  

Did anyone else think Logan's appearing and declaring his love was a lot like Jess appearing and declaring his love?
!

Plus, she should be used to it by now.

I think Sherilynn Fenn did a good job of making Anna different from the other character she played before.  And, Anna doesn't want to cause trouble.  She's just willing to give April and Luke a chance to get to know each other, if April wants to.  She's not the evil homewrecker!

eta:  Wait, everyone was waiting for people who hadn't seen the episode?  Okay, someone has to either make that an official rule, or next time I'm posting as soon as the episode ends my time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:31:54 pm by Dani257 » Logged

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
mela489
Town Elder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 07:39:02 pm »

eta:  Wait, everyone was waiting for people who hadn't seen the episode?  Okay, someone has to either make that an official rule, or next time I'm posting as soon as the episode ends my time.
i have done that before and people got annoyed because they haven't seen it yet, and when i came here the last post was from 8:00 my time (GG time) that said 3 more hours.

ok, well, i agree about the whole phsyciatrist thing, but i think he wanted to get into her dropping out and the questions he was asking had to do with it but Rory just got so unstable and just started rambling and bauling.
I felt the tinest bit of pitty for Logan though i know he doesn't deserve it.  Everything revolves around how he feels and what he can do and what he needs, getting a drift here?  Logan all about Logan it seems to me.

Erin

The poster formerly known as lovingg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 07:42:37 pm »

It's not an official rule that I know of, and really, if people who haven't seen it yet don't want everything ruined for them, then they should stay out of the episode thread until they've seen it.  I think that makes sense.

As for the therapist scene, having been to a therapist, the questions weren't so surprising, but I do agree he didn't really establish any kind of rapport with her. I'll be interested to see if they continue with this storyline and show us more scenes with the therapist (and for the record I didn't think he was that great a therapist, either, but what do I know?). 

And did anyone else just love the scene towards the end with Lane and Mrs. Kim?  It was just great.  I thought it was a little weird that Mrs. Kim was breaking out the alcohol, but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures? 

ETA:  I was glad to see Logan having to grovel a little bit. Granted, that seems to be all guys do for Rory, but he handled everything completely wrong and deserves to sweat it out a little bit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:49:28 pm by Erin » Logged

nikki

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 07:59:35 pm »

As for the therapist scene, having been to a therapist, the questions weren't so surprising, but I do agree he didn't really establish any kind of rapport with her. I'll be interested to see if they continue with this storyline and show us more scenes with the therapist (and for the record I didn't think he was that great a therapist, either, but what do I know?).
I agree the questions weren't surprising, having been to a therapist too (Erin, it gets spookier everyday!).  I didn't think it was odd he asked those questions.  I thought it was odd he asked those questions like that.  I realize that they only allotted the scene about 3 minutes, so they couldn't make it realistic, but it still irked me.

I enjoyed the continuity of the Atlantic City trip too.  Glad they only got the numbers of the 21 guys, and not something else.  And Lorelai's face after Luke asked "what late night calls?" was awesome!

I felt the tinest bit of pitty for Logan though i know he doesn't deserve it. Everything revolves around how he feels and what he can do and what he needs, getting a drift here? Logan all about Logan it seems to me.

And Rory is all about Rory Smiley perhaps they are a match, no matter how much I dislike it.

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »

i have done that before and people got annoyed because they haven't seen it yet, and when i came here the last post was from 8:00 my time (GG time) that said 3 more hours.
Yeah, but what are people doing in a thread for an episode if they don't think there's the possibility that someone who had seen the episode would post after they had seen it?  Nope, next time, the episode ends, I'm posting.

ok, well, i agree about the whole phsyciatrist thing, but i think he wanted to get into her dropping out and the questions he was asking had to do with it but Rory just got so unstable and just started rambling and bauling.

Is it okay if I wanted him to smack her?  Maybe not professional, but I would have found it sooo satisfying.

I felt the tinest bit of pitty for Logan though i know he doesn't deserve it.  Everything revolves around how he feels and what he can do and what he needs, getting a drift here?  Logan all about Logan it seems to me.

Seems human to me.  He got scared, then the big rock that falls on every guy who meets Rory fell on his head again, and he figured out that she was worth it.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 08:06:09 pm »

Hmm. I'm not totally sure what to say at this point about the episode. I'll have to think it over, but I thought it was pretty good.

To me, the whole psychologist plotline was overdone and handled horribly. First of all, I thought it was incredibly irresponsible of Lorelai to attach such a stigma to Rory seeing a shrink as she did, especially given how much Rory has been through recently. I mean, no matter what way you try to spend it, Rory is a deeply disturbed young woman who had become too dependent on and too easily led by her boyfriend, thought little of steeling a yacht, and dropped out of school when getting into an Ivy had been her dream since she was a little girl. She was clearly in need of a little counseling, or at least someone neutral to talk to.

However, I didn't like how the counseling itself was approached. I've been to a few counselors, and none of them have been so unprofessional as to plunge right in and put their client on the defensive the way that guy did. In reality, that never would've gone down the way it had. First of all, it's out of character for Rory to have such a huge breakdown in front of someone she doesn't know. She's more the "hold it together 'til I'm alone" kind of girl. As for the questions, generally therapists start off with pretty neutral questions. It would've been more realistic if he asked her how she was doing, what she'd been doing, what she thought of her family, etc. first. You don't start off with those kinds of questions; it's just not done.

Personally, I'm fed up with the complaints about Sherilyn Fenn playing another character. Realistically, what it comes down to is this: Amy Sherman Palladino felt Fenn was a strong enough actress to snatch up a role as a regular on the Gilmore Girls spinoff. However, that fell through. If she's looking for someone to go with, why not go with Fenn? She never really established her earlier role, and I'd certainly rather see her in more episodes than have her role end with that one. *shrug*

I honestly didn't feel like the Logan ILY was anything like the Jess one. When Jess said it, to me it had that desperation feel to it. Like he knew if he didn't say something, he'd lose Rory for good. Whereas Logan had already lost her and come to that conclusion after pondering it for some time. It seemed more heartfelt and honest than Jess' and I'm not even a Logan/Rory fan!

I'm not loving Luke/Lorelai as a couple right now. I found the whole wedding planning storyline absurd, and I think it spoke volumes about where Lorelai is coming from that she planned the whole wedding spontaneously and then told Luke how it was going to be. The fact that she chose the date on her own was pretty bad. I mean, she didn't even check to see if it worked for Luke or for his family.

On the other side of it, Luke's digging himself a pretty deep hole by not telling Lorelai about April. He's had ample opportunities, and now, having visited and spoke with Ana, he's screwing himself over. He's going to seem guilty, not simply afraid to tell her.

Oh? And that dress was fugly. The waistline was too high and the material of the bust was thick, rolled in on itself, and made her breasts look saggy. I hated it.

The Lane/Mrs. Kim scene was really interesting to watch. I liked the early scene where you could kind of see where Mrs. Kim is coming from through Lane. I think it contributed to the understanding between them by the end. But seeing how Lane's hostility toward Zach made her drive up those deals and be hostile to people in the store, and really short tempered and rude, just like her mom... you have to wonder if there's a parallel between that and Mrs. Kim and how we've never seen Mr. Kim. Wonder if there's some issues there?

Paris was the most entertaining part of the episode, as far as I'm concerned. I loved how intense she was at the Yale Daily News meeting, and how scared the rookies looked. The locks on the bathroom door were a nice touch- made it seem a bit sweat shop-ish, though. Her and Doyle's handling of their living location entertained me, and the scene of Doyle "attacking" Paris was funny. I like how Lorelai interpreted that as something kinky when she came to visit.

That apartment is truly atrocious. Speaking as a college student, I've never seen living conditions quite that bad. The fact that there's scary guys downstairs and rapes in the neighborhood and a need for that many locks just creeped me out. I don't care what Rory said; that's not how college students should live. I want her out of there, lol.

meg-pie

Community Points: 38

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 08:11:18 pm »

I missed the first few minutes so I'm a bit confused.  Did Lane and Zack break up? and when did Lane move in with Mrs Kim? Overall great episode I didn't like that Luke saw her wedding dress and he still didn't tell her!! I haven't decided what I think of Logan saying he loves her yet... but just wait until tommorrow   

Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 08:14:46 pm »

Lane and Zach got in a pretty big fight at the end of the previous episode that ended with Zach saying something along the lines of "this is why bandmates shouldn't date..." Basically, an almost-breakup, just not totally official.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: