Literati (Rory and Jess) - He looked it up
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 03:41:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
475981 Posts in 1571 Topics by 99273 Members
Latest Member: deftoftbope

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Relationship Threads
| | | |-+  Literati (Rory and Jess) - He looked it up
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 Print
Author Topic: Literati (Rory and Jess) - He looked it up  (Read 429605 times)
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: November 13, 2008, 11:31:33 am »

Hi guys and all the Literati fans out there  Cheesy Like Katchastar I am new here as I just discovered this site a few days ago, and would really like to join the Literati-club  Smiley In fact I wish I would have discovered this site and forum a while ago when the series was still going. In Holland (where I live) they are currently re-running from the very beginning so in about 2-3 weeks we'll be starting the episodes featuring Jess - very much looking forward to it as I discovered the series half way and missed a couple of the earliest epi's and I believe some brilliant scenes..

This thread is very long but really great..! I am really looking forward to read your thoughts and theories in next while Cheesy

Like many of the Literati, I think Jess and Rory should have ended up together. The episodes with Rory and Jess in them always had a lot of electricity and chemistry between them. I think this was quite different from eg with Dean (too stable-dependable-boring) or Logan (too pampered and self-absorbed). I'ver read several people making different observations about the reasons for this, amongst others that Jess'character is more rounded/ complex and has more aspects to it a.o. because of the extra dimension with Jess-Luke. I think this is true certainly.

Maybe it is my personal dislike of the Logan character (who he is, what he represents) and also the whole surroundings maybe (I think I preferred the Stars Hallow setting to Yale eg, and Logan's family and spoilt brat- idiotic friends don't really help, nor the way he acts (cheating, partying even if in the end he toned that down he still made some bad judgment calls that ended up in disaster for both him (hospital with several fractures) as Rory (jail, community service, drop out) or the way Rory acts when she is with him and his friends. I think the scene where Jess visits Rory and they had dinner with Logan (series 6, epi Cool is brilliant in fact, because it's so clear where the contrasts between Jess and Logan lie. Logan is spoilt, has had a very easy and charmed life- eventually his internet deal goes bust but his family keeps bailing him out. He's a 'Huntzberger'.

Jess has had nothing handed to him in life as far as we know. Flaky drugusing mom who doesn't even want him home for holidays, absent bum-dad who after 17 years all of a sudden gets curious how his son looks. In fact both Logan and Jess come from cold uncaring families, only Logan had the benefit of money.. but in the end this made Jess all the tougher as he had to make it on his own. Remember the scene in series 3 where Luke tells Jess off for not caring about Shane, or her last name? 'The girls that I like don't give a damn about me'. With exception of Rory who did see the potential and stimulated Jess to do much better, to set his aims higher, like nobody seemed to have done for him before as everyone seemed to believe the worst of him (which he inevitably confirmed, as a self-fulfilling prophecy). But in the end this made Jess all the stronger as he managed to finally get his act together over time.

He made plenty of mistakes when he and Rory were together and abandoning her for 2 times without warning or a word perhaps hurt her and her trust somuch she couldn't risk placing herself in that position again. After Jess having visited her at Yale Rory says to Lane 'It; s Jess - I could have gone with but perhaps he would have changed his mind again by the time we got to New York' - eventhough Jess repeatedly says she can depend on him now Rory's trust was damaged. Maybe that is why she keeps referring to him as an 'old friend' several times as if she wanted to convince both herself as well as Logan, and maybe in the process also Jess (who's response to this is very telling). The contrast between the ambitious, hardworking, empathic and intelligent Rory he knew and loved and the materialistic DAR-party up to nothing empty-headed-rich-boys-girlfriend (sorry to stereotype) Rory was very clear and made Rory finally realize she needed to get her life back. Nobody else not even her best friend- mother was able to get her to realize this, and have this impact. It's unlikely Jess could have unless she still had real feelings for him, I think.

Apart from all those dynamics (which are very interesting imho  Grin ) I just love the way Rory and Jess are together. It's been said before but they stimulate eachother in many ways that I never saw happening between Dean - Rory or Logan- Rory which was very important to Rory as she always loved discussing books/ lit, movies and anything else
Eg. in series 2, epi 10 The Bracebridge Dinner , in the snowsled, Jess asks what Rory and Dean talk about, what they have in common. Rory knows the answer is not that much so she gets quite defensive. Logan tries to outbluff Jess with his socalled literary knowledge (ever seen Logan reading any books apart from the obligatory ones?) which to me just made him look stupid and in fact an asshole for assuming Jess would be some lowlife poor kid with no education - the way Logan brags he'll be paying for the hamburgers as if Jess couldn't even afford that is downright obnoxious and insulting, and he is truely his father's son at moments like this I dislike him most. He's all what Lorelai did not want for her or Rory, and he is indeed very much the contrast to the dynamic between Jess and Rory).

So all in all I love the Jess-Rory dynamic, and the Jess character with all its flaws cause it is one of the few characters on the show that really evolves, changes and gets to be more rounded. Makes you think that in due time the things that stood in their way at 17 might all disappear because the essence between them always was good, and that seemed the same over the years - and brought about a lot of positive changes for Jess.

Also I think the physical dynamic and attraction between Jess and Rory simply oozes of the screen. Apart from mentioned dynamics there was I guess a certain amount of (sexual) tension. Maybe we didn't see that as much with Dean and Logan because of 1. age (Dean) or because the sex part happened off screen (Dean and Logan) - but for some reason this element seemed to me to always just be much more present between Jess and Rory.

As for favourite scenes, well there is just too many of them between Jess and Rory, but I definitely loved Eight o'clock at the Oasis (sprinklers..), the telling off Jess gave her in Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days (he does tell it straight like it is, one quality I love in a guy), the kiss at Sookies wedding, the breakup-scenes in 'They shoot Gilmores don't they' ,the first kiss in 'Let the Games begin') both tentative upstairs and the real one. The scenes in the snow and at the winterfair in 'That'll do pig').. all of them brilliant no matter howmany times I have seen them, I just love the (tense) dynamic and the banter and jokes, sometimes sharpedged comments.. To me those were definitely among the best scenes of the series because of this wonderful mix of funny, tense, charged/sexy  endearing/charming/innocent/romantic and sharp. All of which I believe could be largely contributed to the Jess-Rory dynamic.

Well enough for a first post here I think   Grin  Really looking forward to exchanging ideas with you all  Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:55:33 am by JazzedPotato » Logged

Rory: I am dancing, I can not control where my glance goes, and when I can control it, my glance goes to Dean.
Jess: So you can't control it when you look at me, but you have to force yourself to look at him. [to Dean] Sorry man, that's cold
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5686 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »

That was a very good perspective.

I'm a Literati though, through its post-series Fan Fiction story known as Virtual Gilmore Girls.  It'd be disgusting if they got back together now that they're step-cousins. 

Jess' return in 6.08 definitely sparked a fire in Rory's head.  I liked the way Jess acted when he had that dinner with Rory and Logan.  He was cool, laid-back, and very observant.  Here was Jess, returning after more than a year of silence after disappointing Rory and living with the shame that he let her down.  Now, he returns as an accomplished writer working for a small but growing publishing company.  When he saw Rory with Logan and how Logan acted.  It was clear that Jess wasn't going to deal with him.  The old Jess would've kicked his ass and got in trouble but this was a new, mature Jess.  He walked away like a man and finally confronted Rory about her new life.  It made Rory wake up and realize that she was lost.  It also made Rory realize that Logan, despite his wealthy background and all the opportunities he is given, is nothing more than a coward.  So in a lot of ways, Jess won the battle of the minds.

When Rory went to see Jess in 6.18 (which I consider to be the last great episode of the series), it was clear that Jess is now an adult and has finally accomplished something.  The best part was that he got to share it with Luke and Rory, the two people who really changed his life for the better while getting to meet his new cousin, April.  There was definitely a spark in Rory and Jess' relationship and how it ended proved that there was a fitting closure and they will always be connected. 

I think Rory definitely had a positive effect on Jess because if she never showed up.  I don't think he would've had the motivation to do anything with his life or find some inspiration and she did that.  In the end, he became accomplished and happy while seemingly more adjusted to the point that no one has to worry about him anymore.  Including his own mother who would later give him a little sister (and another kid that's coming). 

I know people tend to slag Logan for his background and arrogance but I think the moment that he became an adult was when he decided to quit working for his father.  It was a big step for him knowing that he might fail by himself.  Yet, it was a risk Logan had to do and I think a lot of the credit should go to Rory for that.  Logan did get a job in California and was hoping to take Rory with him.  The problem was I think in some ways was that Rory's role for Logan was finished.  If she hadn't been in Logan's life.  Logan would still be the reckless, partying rich boy with no clear goals and still stuck in a life he didn't want.  Once Rory appeared and gave him a ticket out of his father's shadow.  He started to grow up and become an adult but Rory role's was finished.  When she said no to him, in some ways.  I think she said "Well, I took you this far Huntzberger.  Now it's time to go on your own and succeed.  You can do it.  Show your father that you can do it on your own.  Goodbye Logan". 

In Virtual Gilmore Girls, Logan and Jess each made an appearance in the eight season.  Jess and Rory met each other again when she's on the road where she stopped in Philadelphia and the two just hang out and talked.  Jess seemed more comfortable and content while revealing that his relationship with his mother is going well while admitting that he's surprised that he really cares about Doula.  Jess also helped Rory in her anxieties about her writer's block which she was going through at the time.  Four episodes later, Logan called Rory just before the holidays as Rory confessed her disillusionment about reporting on the road.  Logan calmed her down knowing that she can't give up easily while understanding that she's unhappy about her job.  The conversation revealed a new maturity in what Rory knowing what she want in her career and what she didn't want.  They also revealed that the enagement wasn't a good idea because they weren't ready and Logan doesn't regret it because he's working and doing fine but is trying to prove to his father that he can succeed. 

Jess has recently appeared in two episodes in Season 9, the first one being the Luke-Lorelai wedding at Martha's Vineyard and 9.04 where Rory has moved to West Hartford and the two talked about her new enviroment which she seems excited about.  It's clear that the Literatis will always happen though they're now step-cousins. 
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:42 am »

Hi .. thanx a lot for your interesting perspective. Much appreciated and really enjoyed reading it  Cheesy  I agree with you on most all of it actually – though I have never seen the virtual GG so I don’t feel quite as averted at the thought of continuing the Rory- Jess relationship  Wink

I think I read somewhere that Milo Ventimiglia had said his character had run its course ito development. Obviously this is what the writers seemed to be working towards as they wrapped the series up. I personally prefer that to ‘bleeding to death’ and milking it as some series seem to do, till the end, at least this way we all remember the characters with dignity and well-roundedness. Still I think there would have been room for some interesting plotlines with the newfound-depth especially with the Jess character towards Rory, moreso than with the Logan-character (as he was not that interesting in a moody-still waters run deep- sort of way, his struggles were more external (strife and struggle with his family/ dad ) if you see what I mean).

I really agree with what you are saying about the role Rory played to both of them (and in fairness Logan did evolve in the series yes, but like I said before maybe I am a little biased because I just wasn’t that keen on the character. Maybe it wasn’t even so much Logan, as more the fact he surrounded himself with a life that kept him in his place, that lived up to all the non-expectations of everyone. (interesting in a way: high expectations can do the same as non-expectations as they can be unrealistically high and keep people numb, immobilized for fear of challenging them – thus turning his family to believe he was a partying immature irresponsible person – which he acted as in response. It took quite a bit of damage on his side and Rory’s for him to start severing those ties, and making it on his own).

I just also disliked the emptyheaded hypocritical superficial ‘bling’ of the crowd he surrounded himself with.  And I disliked who Rory was becoming within that crowd. Ok she was young, impressionable to some degree and kind of got lost in that world. Marty was only in about 10 episodes, and it was kind of sad that the writers did not make more of his character. Marty seemed to only be there to create kind of a romantic ‘alter’.They could have deepend the plot and Rory's as well as Marty's character by giving him a more pronounced persona, especially when Rory was sliding and fading, losing her own self and goal in the process- Marty could have been there as a reminder and created friction outside and within Rory. That would have been interesting eg. Instead they persued only the 'romantic' pining- two-different-boys-in-Rory's-life angle, old Rory versus new Rory. There seems to have been always the  ‘opposite’ to be attracted to in Rory’s life (like the writers have been trying to tell us and her all along: you have to choose..)
With Dean (smalltown in spirit at least (though Chicago added a bit), middleclass, dependable)  there was Tristan (rich but edgy, wrecked home situation , the 'mild' badboy).

Then of course came the Dean- Jess siuation, with the tension between the dependable, stable, whatever-you-want-is-ok-with-me, marriage-material Dean vs the badboy at unease with the world, too bright for his own good lots of potential but no roots and no focus- Jess who was screwing up his own life. However Jess didn’t drag Rory into his pranks (the way Logan did) and in his own way wanted to protect her  ('I made sure she was ok') from him (probably one of the reasons he left in the end). (funny btw if not somewhat sad that Rory rejected Jess when he came to Yale saying she could now depend on him, and went to lose her virginity to the then married Dean, only to reject him later again when she had him again. Guess that may be Oedipus/ Electra tendensies, as the liking of the badboy not-to-be-tamed may come from Christopher..? At least i.t.o. chosing then 'unavailable' and lightly reckless-edgy guys)

The brief encounter between Jess- Logan saw again the tendencies of former badboy salt of the earth selfmade man (like Luke) Jess with his own brand of intellectually stimulating/adventurous/ maturity versus the issues Logan was still fighting in growing up, but again on the other side ito money (which Logan´s obnoxious behaviour at the diner made clear). Funny that Rory always chooses to be with Jess though after those encounters (she tells Dean and Logan respectively to take a hike – to then in the end choose for them anyway..).

Then there is Marty, definitely the poorer at the campus, one she got along with very well because Rory in her heart isn’ t arrogant or  snooty (thanx to Lorelai maybe who seems to have a bit more strong of a personality than Rory in this respect) but who she then didn’ t see anymore as she chose Logan. I think Marty’ s character in that respect could have been much more interesting than just the poor kid (contrast to Logan) to pine for Rory and make sure we still remember she’ s not just like the bratty spoilt richkids (as they are cliché’ d in the series). It would have been interesting to see that friendship evolve and perhaps given Rory a little more groundedness.

In the end I guess Rory was good for Logan and his development, Logan however did not do a lot for Rory’ s development I think especially when the external problems were resolved and once again it was established that personality-wise Logan and Rory were not so well matched. I still think (ok I am biased I admit Wink) that Jess would have made a much better match especially after having finished her education at Yale, and ready to experience adventures just like Chrisitana Amanpour, travelling the world around. (Interesting also by the way, Rory loves the small townness of Stars Hallow yet always pines for adventure, either in the boys she choses or in the travels she makes, One of the eternal friction points between Rory and Jess was the participation in the small town events - Jess seemed to have outgrown this a bit though as his social skills seemed to have improved over the years with his growing self-esteem and appreciation for how hard it is to build something as opposed to how easy to break it - he paid Luke back for all the damage he'd done..).
Two scenes come to mind, the one where Rory and Jess are getting icecream and have a conversation about the future, Jess asks Rory if she is ready for such adventurous life – and Rory for the first time questions herself about this. Then Jess offering to stand in the middle of the road yelling something in a strange language so she can drive straight at him with a car- as practise (hillarious! Grin). And the scene where Jess comes to Rory in Yale asking her to come with him to New York or anywhere in fact to make a new start – which she refuses because she is not ready for that yet and wants to finish her education.

See, in the end Rory choses adventure over stability at least for now (like mother like daughter…? Lorelai sure ‘ knew how to dump them’ the sweeter they were to her..) – maybe ironically the last time she saw Jess he was too settled and too stable already for her .. still in the end unlike the ‘ adventurous side’  of Logan which had more to do with pranks or in reaction to his dad and family, this adventurous streak seems more part of Jess also than Logan.

At any rate, probably Rory would meet another guy, maybe a mix between Jess and Logan, with more of an adventurous nature.She may be able to see the potential in those boys like Jess and Logan and get their lives back on track.. maybe she needs to stop seeing them as a project and settle down herself, find out what it is she herself wants.. Clearly she wasn’ t ready to settle down yet perhaps never will be. But there is no such thing as a perfect relationship, and perhaps that is just the Lorelai- Rory Gilmore way. To keep dreaming and looking till they found it.. Part of me still likes to think the kiss Lorelai and Luke shared at the end, and the fact that Rory chose adventure over stability of marriage with Logan might signify in their future Rory and Jess getting together again, but I guess like the plots of the  Virtual Gilmore series, that is just up to our own wishes and imaginations Wink

What do you guys think, Rory the new Lorelai wrt relationships, in her own way - or...? Btw who here finds it interesting not to mention slightly ironic that Lorelai was never that keen on either Jess (understatement of the year  Grin) or Logan but loved Dean, whereas she herself met Deans (Max Medina, in some ways Luke eventhough Luke was more like a mature Jess in potential) and rejected all of them, jumping into wedlock with the only person who always proved untrustworthy in the end no matter how much he tried to clean up his act, i.e. Christopher..? On many levels Lorelai knows the Chris's of this world are not a good option yet she then elopes to marry him in Paris (knowing full well it isn't rational because she didn't want anyone to bring her to reason such as eg Rory) only to end up divorced very quickly because oh gee big surprise , it doesn't work... Roll Eyes  I am not lobbying for the Dean's  and Max's of this world especially not for Lorelai or Rory.. That's why I love the Jess character ,because he has the mix of both (dependability and adventure, soulfulness and edgy- straightforwardness, the inherent feeling of what is right and fighting for what he believes in, and intelligence). If anything I think he combines all those traits and yet Lorelai cannot see this potential, and doesn't like him at all (eventhough in fairness we don't know if she feels the same way later on she has never been very openminded towards Jess in fact uncharacteristically closed minded towards him even if she tells herself she cuts him slack, she totally doesn't and Jess always sensed this). Isn't that slightly ironic, especially since both Lorelai and Rory are quite sensitive and seem much better matched to the -in the end- sensitive and introverted personalities of Luke and Jess? What are your thoughts on the Lorelei-Luke & Rory-Jess paralel?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:50:50 am by JazzedPotato » Logged

Rory: I am dancing, I can not control where my glance goes, and when I can control it, my glance goes to Dean.
Jess: So you can't control it when you look at me, but you have to force yourself to look at him. [to Dean] Sorry man, that's cold
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5688 on: November 14, 2008, 04:24:41 pm »

It's an interesting parallel though I often link Dean to Christopher being that they're the first loves of the Girls' lives.

I think Lorelai for a while, loved Dean until... the night he took Rory's virginity and she couldn't even look at him after that.  Plus, she was no longer comfortable around him.  Jess, I think Lorelai had a lot of bad first impressions and such.  Yet, I think she probably did hear what Jess did for Rory when Rory lost track of her life and probably thanked him for waking her up. 

Virtual Gilmore Girls did continue the story that I feel, is closer to what the show had been in its early season though it's only fiction but superior to a lot of the fan-fiction stories for the show.  The season 9 opener had Rory convinced that Jess wasn't going to show up as she called him only to have him reveal that he was in Boston and on his way to Martha's Vineyard.  I think it's clear that Jess and Lorelai had made peace over all that had happened and probably both hate Dean.

Jess and Logan are the only ones that grew up.  The other guys.  We never knew what happened to them.  Tristan went to North Carolina and was never heard from again.  Dean was last seen giving Luke some unfriendly advice.  Marty got dumped by Lucy and was never heard from again.  I believe somewhere in the U.S., they're all working at a Costco or some place together musing and grumbling about how they sucked when it came to Rory and then, their boss Jason "Digger" Stiles tells them to go back to work.  Those 3 boys never grew up.  Tristan I think was an early version of Logan but really a poor boy's Logan who just liked to get into trouble and be a total screw-up.  Marty is simply a Baxter.  The guy who is with the girl but isn't the right guy for that girl.  The one the bride leaves him at the altar for another guy. 

Dean was just an idiot.  He never really thinks, he always tries to do something to impress Rory and ends up getting married to some poor girl.  Treat that girl like crap, and really mess with Rory's head.  When he saw Rory at that party, he finally got a brain and realized he will never be good enough for Rory.  He should've talked to her privately instead of breaking up with her in front of other people.  He got more jealous for the fact that Luke was dating Lorelai and decided to give him a lot of doubts.  After that, he wasn't heard from again so what happens to him is a real big question mark and I think, the elephant of Rory's own love life.

I think Jess' newfound stability is something that he needed.  I think he's had enough adventures and is going for something different in another kind of adventure in writing and running a business.  Rory as of Season 9, is embarking on her own adventure in getting her writing career back on track and is closer into getting a full-time job that will satisfy her.  Plus, she's living in a new environment, making new friends, and starting to get settled.  I think with Jess, the two can share their sense of stability pretty easily and have a connection that Rory's other boyfriends never had or will have.  It's just a shame that they're step-cousins. 
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34:34 pm »

It's an interesting parallel though I often link Dean to Christopher being that they're the first loves of the Girls' lives.

I think Lorelai for a while, loved Dean until... the night he took Rory's virginity and she couldn't even look at him after that.  Plus, she was no longer comfortable around him.  Jess, I think Lorelai had a lot of bad first impressions and such.  Yet, I think she probably did hear what Jess did for Rory when Rory lost track of her life and probably thanked him for waking her up. 
Interesting, never looked on it that way yet. Might be true. Not sure, we don't hear a lot anymore about what Lorelai thinks of Rory's ex's only what's going on with Logan ( Lorelai not being too positive about that either for good reason perhaps). At any rate Lorelai was not that much invested which is fine at some point. I guess it makes sense she was more invested with Dean and Jess (Rory being underage and all) yet still I think it would have been nice to see her interest there later on also,. especially where the Jess-character lead to. It might have made for an interesting turnabout - as Jess I think (personally) moved beyoind what Lorelai thought of Dean i.t.o. personality and capability/capacity... anyway we never got to see that on the show so.. Wink
I think Jess' newfound stability is something that he needed.  I think he's had enough adventures and is going for something different in another kind of adventure in writing and running a business.  Rory as of Season 9, is embarking on her own adventure in getting her writing career back on track and is closer into getting a full-time job that will satisfy her.  Plus, she's living in a new environment, making new friends, and starting to get settled.  I think with Jess, the two can share their sense of stability pretty easily and have a connection that Rory's other boyfriends never had or will have.  It's just a shame that they're step-cousins. 

Hmmm I guess I am kind of feeling out of the loop on this virtual thing and maybe not even sad about it to be honest ( Jess and Rory step-cousins, yuk... I prefer to see the onscreen scenes without that virtual-thought to be honest.. Wink ).. So,, anyone want to embark on what was written without this 'virtual'  version coming into it, just plane out of what was in the series?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:36:11 pm by JazzedPotato » Logged

jessrory4evr938
Town Selectman

Community Points: 436

I feel like I was born for Devastation and Reform

View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: November 15, 2008, 07:48:48 am »

Hey KatchaStar and JazzedPotato! Nice to see some new Lits. Me, I'm a farely old Lit and definitely older around this thread. This was one of my first threads I ever posted on and definitely my home on the forum for the first year I was on this forum. Then sadly, it started dying...

Well, anyways, I'm Spencer (or Spence, Spencey, Super Spencey, Spot, Literati Monkey Lover, etc...Yeah, I have a lot of names around here...) and it's nice to meet you!

If home is where the heart is, then my home is where you are. <3
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: November 15, 2008, 03:38:26 pm »

Hey KatchaStar and JazzedPotato! Nice to see some new Lits. Me, I'm a farely old Lit and definitely older around this thread. This was one of my first threads I ever posted on and definitely my home on the forum for the first year I was on this forum. Then sadly, it started dying...

Well, anyways, I'm Spencer (or Spence, Spencey, Super Spencey, Spot, Literati Monkey Lover, etc...Yeah, I have a lot of names around here...) and it's nice to meet you!

Hiya Spencer/ Spence/ Spencey/ Spot etc..  thanx so much for the sweet warm welcome I really do appreciate that  Cheesy very sweet of you!  Kiss  My name is Laura by the way, I am from Amsterdam, Holland.

This is such a cool forum and site I just regret not having discovered it before.. It would have always been a time-warp issue as we are always behind you guys in terms of broadcasts so even if I had discovered it before it would have been somewhat confusing and out of synch due to the discrepancies in time. Still now it is obviously late as most ideas/ emotions/ hypotheses either died down or gotten a fictional/ virtual component or sequence which I know nothing of Wink 

I have loved this series for many years though especially the 2nd and 3rd series. Obviously for the Rory- Jess component which sizzled off the screen (even now looking back at those scenes, they were just way more layered and charged-interesting than afterwards imho, with a few exceptions). But apart from that also because everything seemed to work, characters grew, plotlines developped, the most amazing and funny scripts were invented with so many beautiful oneliners / lines it is hard to even pick one in one episode.. Wink I just love watching the scenes back because they are so rich and ‘layered’ – funny and edgy and in many ways, sweetly covered with social criticism as well. A fine balance to keep yet they did for a long time. And I just love the 2nd and 3rd series just a little bit more for the (sexual and multilayered) tension between the Rory and Jess – it seemed to just complete the already intoxicating and addictive mix Cheesy ..
Been reading a bit on this forum not just Literati but eg the appreciation/unappreciation boards. I guess what I really liked about Jess was despite his many issues (or maybe because per consequence and logical inference, he who has many issues is a complex person and I just adore complexity in a person/ guy, I admit … Wink) he knew the meaning of the word integrity (much like Luke). In spite of his juvenile pranks (which I personally am convinced he knew were just that) he was straightforward and honest, and didn’t appreciate dishonesty or deception. That is one thing between them in which Rory did not match Jess I think although she reacted to his directness and honesty in a good way.
Rory always preferred the socially acceptable, sweet-sugercoated and even (self-)deceptive ways which led her astray in the end (hmm and you wanted to be a journalist, Rory..? Wink ) . So I actually think she can make Jess a little less harsh , a little more mild in his opinion and perspective of people and things – and he in turn can help her become more direct and honest towards herself and the world, face also the ugly realities this world has to bear… That’ s one of the (many Wink) reasons I think they would be well matched much better so than eg Logan- Rory.

Anyway thanx a lot for the warm welcome really appreciate it!  Kiss  I really wish I had been a Literati long before so i could have discussed with fellow- Literati and Jess-Rory lovers before.. Embarrassed  but there you go , I guess it's better late than never hmmmm?  Cheesy  Grin  Wink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:57:02 pm by JazzedPotato » Logged

jessrory4evr938
Town Selectman

Community Points: 436

I feel like I was born for Devastation and Reform

View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: November 15, 2008, 08:06:11 pm »

Definitely better late than never. Especially with Gilmore Girls!

But I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with you! You're posts are so long! lol.

If home is where the heart is, then my home is where you are. <3
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: November 16, 2008, 02:27:06 pm »

Definitely better late than never. Especially with Gilmore Girls!

Never a truer word spoken..  Grin Still have a few episodes in series 2 I have never seen yet so if I come in sometimes raving on those, you´ll know why  Wink
Just bear with me, you all remember what it felt like, no?  Tongue
But I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with you! You're posts are so long! lol.

Hmm sorry will try to contain myself somewhat but not promising I will succeed  Grin I have a lot of catching up to do, in rediscovering the series and discovering this forum  Wink But I´ll try..

Just saw the scene at Sookie´s wedding (' I can´t get started') a few days ago for the first time (on youtube), man I love that scene.. Just the way Rory and Jess are looking at eachother before she lunges towards him for a first passionate kiss.. the mix of longing and desparation, after having fought this so long, he shows up back in her life.. hmmm  Flame Nod sparks just came off there..

Anyway... just wondering, which three Rory-Jess scenes were your favourits, and why?  Smiley

anki83
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5694 on: November 19, 2008, 01:07:37 am »

Hi all Smiley

Enter another Lit-supporter. Having loved the show since day one, I've also been a staunch Rory & Jess enthusiast since season two.
Won't go into any fave moments (would prob. take too long Wink) but am def. of the opinion that this is a TV pairing with a lot of potential remaining (hint, hint for any possible planned movie Wink) - esp. considering Jess' appearance in season six, where he showed, once again, a lot more brains than some of the other boyfriends of Rory featured on the show (and Lorelai should probably be thanking him for getting Rory back on track with Yale).
Anyway, to make a long story short, nice to see plenty of Lits out there. Smiley

"The verbal thing comes and goes." - Jess
KatchaStar
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: November 19, 2008, 08:09:21 am »

Thanks for the welcome jessrory4evr938. Nice to meet you too  Smiley

Hi, anki83. Welcome. I just watched the episode where Jess comes back in season 6 the other day and just have to say I love Jess and Rory even more, even though they weren't a couple on screen, their chemistry was still great and I loved how Jess was when Logan was behaving badly, just not rising to him which made Logan look even more babyish.

Jess: I like this place.
Rory: Wow. A place in Stars Hollow you actually like.
Jess: And it has so many memories... see over there?
[points]
Jess: That's where Luke pushed me in.
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: November 29, 2008, 01:02:32 am »

Hi guys and all the Literati fans out there  Cheesy Like Katchastar I am new here as I just discovered this site a few days ago, and would really like to join the Literati-club  Smiley In fact I wish I would have discovered this site and forum a while ago when the series was still going. In Holland (where I live) they are currently re-running from the very beginning so in about 2-3 weeks we'll be starting the episodes featuring Jess - very much looking forward to it as I discovered the series half way and missed a couple of the earliest epi's and I believe some brilliant scenes..

Cry Cry Sad Angry Damn it damn it damn it (pardon my language).. we were just getting to series 2, then they stopped, now we are getting friggin'ER instead  Cry Angry I appreciate ER but damn, here goes my chance to get the missing epi's  Undecided How to break a Lit's heart  Undecided Anyone have a suggestion how I could still get those, apart from ordering the dvd of series 2 and 3? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to do that..

Seeing some of the scenes back after such a long time made me really appreciate the scenes, some were really brilliantly written and the chemistry between Rory/ Jess and Alexis/ Milo was just quite enticing .. very rare to see.. I heard he's dating this blondie from Heroes now? Hmmz not sure, seems wrong somehow, I dunno a little icky maybe due to the age difference. 12 is a lot especially 18-30 kind of made me think back of Paris and that Yale professor, (Asher Fleming)..it's just icky if you know what I mean..  Roll Eyes

I am trying to see if I like Milo in Heroes, only seen two epi's of series 3 on the BBC recently have to admit sofar I am not overly impressed  Embarrassed The plotline just seems all over the place chronologically as well as in terms of consistency. Not even to mention some silly stuff (hmm opening ppls' heads, yeah ok whatever.. Roll Eyes ) It really makes me appreciate the writing by ppl like ASP more - we might criticize sometimes but she did make us love somany of the GG characters, and had them develop into true characters, with believable lives - also i.t.o. their relationships such as Rory's and Jess's progressed over the years..
Anyway, Milo is still cute, but I guess Peter Petrelli feels like a poor substitute for Jess who's character seemed much more complex and interesting to me. Kinda wondering what other Lit's are thinking about that..? I know, we have to move on and so do these actors, fine but hey seeing back those scenes and actually seeing some for the first time recently (eg the kissing scene at Sookie's wedding, aww so sweet..) just made me a LIT-tle nostalgic I guess.. Embarrassed  It just seemed wrong we got stuck with 3 season's of BirkinBagboy instead  Undecided  .. Feel kinda cheated..  Angry Grin

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:09:50 am by JazzedPotato » Logged

KatchaStar
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:22 am »

Just watched The Real Paul Anka for the first time. Guess that's it for Literati in the actual series  Sad Oh well, guess will have to buy season 2 and 3 on DVD to keep me satisfied...any excuse  Cheesy

Jess: I like this place.
Rory: Wow. A place in Stars Hollow you actually like.
Jess: And it has so many memories... see over there?
[points]
Jess: That's where Luke pushed me in.
lozman
Inn Manager

Community Points: 198

laura, yep thats me

View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: December 08, 2008, 12:31:55 pm »

Yea, it is a shame they kinda nipped it in the bud after that; but MV wanted out I believe, ahh well we can always pretend that Rory dumped Logan and relocated Jess...Think of the big picture, what happens after the cameras stop rolling (on the obviously real snapshot of these people's lilves  Wink ) but hey.

We just got to S7 today finally in jolly old england, so the lit dream is over also, at least on our TV screens.

I shall re-introduce myself to this thread just now, been away a while but in the mood for a good GG discussion as it has been a while. I shall get the ball rolling, sorry if this is old territory, I have not been here in over a year!

What is everybody's fave Literati moment and why?

Having asked that question I now fail to find my own answer, so I am going to be just a viewer, sit back and let answers roll in before I post mine, as this takes some thought, a few moments spring to mind but hey, I asked the question so I am allowed to sit back and not answer!

L xxx

JavaJunkie...Lieterati...Noddie...Flyswatter
F.A.I.T.H 
sig by monicakeller!
no season 8 makes me SMAD
JazzedPotato
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:15 am »

Yea, it is a shame they kinda nipped it in the bud after that; but MV wanted out I believe, ahh well we can always pretend that Rory dumped Logan and relocated Jess...Think of the big picture, what happens after the cameras stop rolling (on the obviously real snapshot of these people's lilves  Wink ) but hey.

We just got to S7 today finally in jolly old england, so the lit dream is over also, at least on our TV screens.

I shall re-introduce myself to this thread just now, been away a while but in the mood for a good GG discussion as it has been a while. I shall get the ball rolling, sorry if this is old territory, I have not been here in over a year!

Hey jolly old England from Holland  Grin We did series 7 a while ago but it never felt the same after series 3 to be honest (good epi's but also bad downs from there on the true roller coaster, no thanx to BirkinBag-boy and never again retaining the Lit-high I am afraid..)

Because of the reruns and re-windings I think I am more or less in the same state of mind and gilmorearism as you are  Cheesy So let's njoy the post-GG galivanting-rant shall we?  Grin

What is everybody's fave Literati moment and why?
One fav is so hard to say... there are many.

1. The most obvious one being probably the first kiss at Sookie's wedding.. (I only saw that for the first time online recently as I missed several episodes of season 2 unfortunately..) .. I love everything about it, actually, it is so sweet and endearing. Green surroundings, pristine-crisp like spring, a new beginning. The looks on both Rory's and Jess's faces longing, but not knowing how to break the cycle, they both created and nurtured.. The catharsis  where Rory succumbs and then Jess responds in ultimate vulnerability, - then to be torn between who she thought she was and who she discovers/perceives herself to be now, and who Jess is vs. Dean with the internal and external dialogue/fight that follows, fumes...Love how Rory lunges at Jess.. (can't recall her ever doing anything as passionate with another guy in the whole series..)

2. Rory and Jess at the Dance marathon on 'They shoot Gilmores, don't they..?' - The bickering all along, but most definately the scene at the bridge with ultimate vulnerability (again) , when Rory and Jess finally confront and confess their feelings towards eachother, no longer playing games or messing with eachother's heads but being adult about their feelings.. (growing quickly from 16/17 yo into adulthood..)

3. Tisket-tasket : The bidding, the way Rory defended why she had to be with Jess, as in 'tradition'..(hmm yes it's in the constitution Rory.. Roll Eyes) .. Then the whole scene on the bridge with Jess, falling for what Dean would have never done (food-wise).. up until Rory forgetting all about her bracelet (for the next 2 weeks..) and calling him afterwards, him saying he'll hold her to it if his opinion about the book doesn't pan out as she predicted..Why? Because it shows Rory rationalized her feelings, and yet later on was able to let her feelings rule her mind (one of few times we saw her do that imho). Showing true colours for the first time in what she wants and who she wants it with. She should have followed through, or Dean should have got a clue..And the way Jess says 'I'm gonna hold you to that'..hmmmm  Grin

4. The kissingscene in the bedroom at the hummel-party where Hep Alien played their first gig. (No words necessary I think apart from, amazing chemistry and why on earth did she do it for the first time with Dean in the end...?)

Having asked that question I now fail to find my own answer, so I am going to be just a viewer, sit back and let answers roll in before I post mine, as this takes some thought, a few moments spring to mind but hey, I asked the question so I am allowed to sit back and not answer!

L xxx

Nah come on give us your fav Lit moment(s) too...   Cheesy You know you want to.... Grin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:52:07 am by JazzedPotato » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: