Luke Danes Unappreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 07:54:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 122162 Members
Latest Member: umsnzudywu

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Unappreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Luke Danes Unappreciation
Poll
Question: When Did you stop liking Luke?
Season One - 1 (4%)
Season Two - 1 (4%)
Season Three - 1 (4%)
Season Four - 0 (0%)
Season Five - 1 (4%)
Season Six - 15 (60%)
Season Seven - 6 (24%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Luke Danes Unappreciation  (Read 26559 times)
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1266

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 08:27:48 am »

I don't understand why everytime someone criticized a character people immediately think that he hates it and start attacking him or her. I think if we want to talk about something we should mention the goods and the bads of it. For me, I think that people's faults are what make them special and more human.

Bravo to you Sidney! One of the great things about GG is that the characters are complex and there are positives and negatives to them. I am a big Luke fan and i have posted plenty in his Appreciation Thread. But he has his faults like a real person and that's why i also post here. One dimensional characters are boring.

A perfect example was the whole April mess in season 6. On the one hand, Luke was being a stand-up guy for trying to do the right thing and be part of April's life. But the downside was that he neglected Lorelai. That's my big gripe with him during this period. As you pointed out, he doesn't even tell Lorelai that he has a child. This was one of the low points of the entire seven seasons for me and drove me crazy because Luke is normally a straight-up guy. But, that's what ASP gave us, for better or worse.

I have another question having never wandered into an unappreciation thread... while I know the point of it and expected to read more bad things about Luke than I actually did, is it just too bad if we disagree with something like I do about the "I love you' situation, that I shouldn't have questioned it? This is an honest question so don't take it as a snipe at people who don't like Luke, because I don't care if everyone loves him or not, I just want to know what is expected on the unappreciation thread. Smiley

I have only been a member since May, and it is a little fuzzy to me. But my understanding is that debates are mainly for other threads. I think the main debate on the Unappreciation thread is supposed to be why we don't like a character, or a certain action we dislike by a character. As i said, i am a big Luke fan, but he did things with Lorelai that i did not like and i post here to vent about it. I have learned from more experienced members that it is not appropriate to go on an Unappreciation thread and just say "i love so-and-so, how can you not love him?" You of course did not do that, but others have and i have seen them snarked for it! It's just the same as going on an Appreciation thread and saying, "I hate that character! How can you like him?" 

For another example, i have railed against Chris on his Unappreciation thread. But i know he has some good points also and i have stated those elsewhere.

Anyway, that's my understanding of it! Smiley

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:21:57 am by bingbong » Logged

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
#1DeanLover
Diner Regular

Community Points: 24

I love Dean, and I am insane!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 11:49:41 am »

How could anybody hate Luke?Huh

Censor Bam Pow Shocked Shocked
I love Luke! Smitten
Then why are you on this page? There is a luke appreciation board for just this kind of thing. I certainly wouldn't turn up on a 'dean appreciation page' and start knocking him.
Please post on boards that are relevant to your 'shipping. Or save the debating for the general boards such as 'Lorelai's boyfriends' or 'Which gilmore guy is your favourite?'
I ment like tell me how you hate luke since I don't understand it. sorry for the mix-up.

~#1DeanLover
gg4life07
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2007, 05:18:26 pm »

i didnt like how he handled april and lorelai in the sixth season. he was really unaware how he was hurting lorelai.

*image made by Sharon aka skftex

~mom you've already given me everything i need~
shinkeiko
Town Troubadour

Community Points: -17

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »

i didnt like how he handled april and lorelai in the sixth season. he was really unaware how he was hurting lorelai.

he was doing the best that he could as a new father!

*im awesome*
Charly Hayden
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2007, 01:33:57 am »

I agree! i don't like April storyline at all!

SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:19 pm »

What bugs me is how he was lecturing T.J. He went on and on about how T.J should understand Liz's feeling that she keeps inside and then communicate with her but Luke could have used some of his own lectures.

I think Luke's character was better off not dating Lorelai. The character just died in season 6. We expected him to be a great boyfriend which he was not.. we waited so long for them to date but honestly I think it was not worth the waiting. For me, I wish if they just stayed  friends.

I really hate their relationship. Is there anyone who is a worse communicator than Luke?

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2007, 08:08:55 pm »

i agree... their relationship ruined their friendship... luke is a hermit and a loner and always will be.

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1266

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2007, 08:31:47 am »

I really hate their relationship. Is there anyone who is a worse communicator than Luke?

I think his lowest point came when he found out that April was his daughter and did not tell Lorelai! Even for him that was extreme. He was considering spending the rest of his life with Lorelai but does not tell her that he has a daughter.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »

I think his lowest point came when he found out that April was his daughter and did not tell Lorelai! Even for him that was extreme. He was considering spending the rest of his life with Lorelai but does not tell her that he has a daughter.

Yes, he couldn't tell Lorelai but he had no problem telling his sister! And he couldn't introduce her to Lorelai but he had no problem introduce her to Jess who by the way lives many miles away. I think there is no worse character than Luke of season 6 except the Luke of season 7.

The thing is, all the things he's said and done don't seem out of his character. You can easily believe he would do that.

I think- like Dean- Luke suffers from low self-esteem. That's why he waited for eight long years because he didn't think " Lorelai Gilmore" would date the "Coffee Guy from the small town's diner". He even said in season 7 something to prove that in the supermarket. Also his low self-esteem is what prevented him from allowing Lorelai to be involved in his daughter's life, his words as I remember were " she will like you  better". When Dean told Luke that Lorelai will leave him because the Gilmore Girls want more. He immediately believed him and told Taylor he didn't want the house anymore. See, low self-esteem.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:45:46 pm by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
carman_h92
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2007, 11:54:21 pm »

Season six did it for me. He should have told Lorelai that he had a daughter the minute he found out. That's what messed the relationship up in my opinion. You can't hide that from the woman you love, man! I mean, COME ON! It's possibly the biggest thing ever to keep from your FIANCE! 
Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2007, 07:51:54 pm »

yeah he was so hypocritical... with that whole "no secrets" speech and then hides possibly the biggest thing of all....

lorelai3489
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2008, 08:49:37 pm »

I have never ever ever hated luke. I just didn't like how he handled april. Other than that i'm in love with him. Grin
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2008, 09:27:13 pm »

I have never ever ever hated luke. I just didn't like how he handled april. Other than that i'm in love with him. Grin

Ditto.  A million times ditto.  HE AND APRIL RUINED EVERYTHING.  I try to tell myself it's just a show, but.......EW!  I was so upset about L/L breaking up and the way it seemed like he didn't care....I'll  just pretend it didn't happen.
katie_lou
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 34

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2008, 12:00:16 am »

Ok so having just watched a Vineyard Valentine and seen Luke's attitude to Logan and having seen Luke's behaviour towards Dean in We Got Us a Pippi Virgin, does anyone else think he's incredibly overbearing and rude? And his interest in her boyfriends is possibly bizarre?
I don't buy that the whole thing is about how she's like his daughter etc. Even Chris her actual father isn't that bad (except when drunk ie Wedding Belle Blues). And the writers seem to be in flux over how much of a presence Luke was in her life. In season 7 he's like the father she never had, but there's other references about how he's just the diner guy and how they only really moved to Stars Hollow when Rory was 12. It's weird and his behaviour towards her boyfriends is very puritanical.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:25:15 pm by katie_lou » Logged
gg crazy
Diner Chef

Community Points: 4

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:07 pm »

I was first ok with luke but when he started dating lorelai i hated him!! i really wanted 2 c chris and lorelai together forever but, luke always came in the way. Angry

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: