GilmoreGirls.org Forum
August 03, 2020, 03:04:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: pope benidect recently stated that Catholosism is the only true Christian religion. true or false (insert lutheran book of concord pun here)
true - 4 (19%)
false - 12 (57.1%)
pope benidict? lutheran book of concord? - 5 (23.8%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilmore Girls and Religion  (Read 71423 times)
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:34 am »

I am a 'Christian', but I am not completely as..(how do I put this the right way?)..devout as a majority of the people on this board are to their religion. There are just some things that I believe aren't quite...justifiable.? Well, that is for another topic.
I do not see anything wrong with Rory sleeping with Logan. (I do find the text messages a bit disturbing...I was watching the show with my grandma when that came on, and oh my gosh so embarrasing.) I mean, go to a normal everyday college, and you will have a majority of people sleeping with others. Not necessarily sleeping around, but a majority.
I hated Rory sleeping with Dean. That was just so wrong. HE WAS MARRIED! That is what I hated most. Not the fact that she slept with him.
I also think that Lorelai getting pregnant at 16 annoys me, even though it is the base for the whole show. I mean, come on. Why? But anyway.
I don't agree with Mrs. Kim on the whole subject. "If you're lucky you only have to do it once." I have never slept with anyone, but I thought that sex was supposed to be a 'blissful communion?'
 I don't know. I guess I'm somewhere in between a gilmore and a kim on the subject, if that makes sense.

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
smeg
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2006, 09:17:47 am »

I also think that Lorelai getting pregnant at 16 annoys me, even though it is the base for the whole show. I mean, come on. Why? But anyway.

Why? Because she had sex with someone and fell pregnant. It happens. Get over it. Although this is a fictional show, Rory turned out to be an intelligent, pleasant, kind, beautiful young woman, and Lorelai has proven herself to be a capable and fantastic mother, if it annoys you, thats fine because its your opinion, but in the interest of this being a discussion thread, no one is perfect. Her becoming pregnant at 16 may cause you to feel as if she has done something wrong which irritates you, but aren't there a million worse things she couldn't have done? If you can't watch this show without being offended by the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16, then the entire point about how Lorelai struggled for years to bring up Rory both with and without her family's help at various times is meaningless. Why are you watching this show if you don't GET the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16?  Huh
White Onyx
Town Selectman

Community Points: 247

Buried under a lot of Schoolbooks

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2006, 01:36:54 pm »

Okay I get the whole Christian background and way of thinking of many of our members. I also have very Christian views on topics. I also believe sex should be special and between a man and his wife. So the casuel sex idea you so on TV A LOT not just on GG and Lorelai getting pregnant also isn't something I would agree with as a wise choice in my life. BUT I accept that others are not me. And that the writers choose to write Lorelai as a teen who got knocked up does not annoy me. Sure it's not the norms and values I would wanna teach people. BUT the rest...how to handle when you do get knocked up for instance...IS a good lesson to see on TV. ASP choose to shine a light on a subject which still has a taboe on it for many people. And she made it something nice....something 'cool' and funny and sweet. So no it doesn't annoy me but at the same time it still is the thing that goes against my own values and plans for my own life. BUT for those who are annoyed....just focus on Lane and Ms. Kim.     

LORELAI: Oh, donít be embarrassed Snuffy, Iím just teasing. Itíd be a Mets cap.
LUKE: Could you possibly leave me and little missus alone for just a minute?
Luke: Got a handful of Barbie.

Fantasy
Diner Waitress

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2006, 03:55:37 pm »

Why? Because she had sex with someone and fell pregnant. It happens. Get over it. Although this is a fictional show, Rory turned out to be an intelligent, pleasant, kind, beautiful young woman, and Lorelai has proven herself to be a capable and fantastic mother, if it annoys you, thats fine because its your opinion, but in the interest of this being a discussion thread, no one is perfect. Her becoming pregnant at 16 may cause you to feel as if she has done something wrong which irritates you, but aren't there a million worse things she couldn't have done? If you can't watch this show without being offended by the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16, then the entire point about how Lorelai struggled for years to bring up Rory both with and without her family's help at various times is meaningless. Why are you watching this show if you don't GET the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16?† Huh

Okay, let me justify my post. BEFORE you jump all over me. I can still like the show and not agree with people getting pregnant at 16.
My best friend is sleeping with her boyfriend, but is she being smart enough? NOOooo of course not. And now she thinks shes pregnant, at 14. Thats another story for another time.

Perhaps I shouldnt have used the word annoy, because that isn't what I meant, and I'm not saying this just because of the fact that people disagree with me. I could give a damn if you disagree with me, all the better in fact. I love to debate Smiley I just hate that teenagers have to bear the burden of having a child. I mean, you have hardly lived life.
I understand that Lorelai and Rory are both amazing woman, and that Lorelai has proven herself responsible, and mature of all that she did.
I just don't like teenage motherhood, it seems that it doesn't turn out that way...
If Lorelai was using protection and still fell pregnant, I don't feel she was doing anything wrong. I feel that she wasn't using any is what is wrong.
And the whole point of the show isnt meaningless to me. I love how Lorelai actually didn't turn around and give up, she struggled through a difficult time.
I am not in any way offended that she got pregant, so please don't assume so. I just don't think it is a good value to be preganant at 16.
I don't care if you still stand by what you said before. It doesn't matter to me.
Anyway, I pretty sticked you for stating your opinion so strongly, and for not snarkasticking me. Thats pretty classy.

just focus on Lane and Ms. Kim.
Nah. Where is the fun in that? There never on anymore!

smeg
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2006, 04:29:07 pm »

Why? Because she had sex with someone and fell pregnant. It happens. Get over it. Although this is a fictional show, Rory turned out to be an intelligent, pleasant, kind, beautiful young woman, and Lorelai has proven herself to be a capable and fantastic mother, if it annoys you, thats fine because its your opinion, but in the interest of this being a discussion thread, no one is perfect. Her becoming pregnant at 16 may cause you to feel as if she has done something wrong which irritates you, but aren't there a million worse things she couldn't have done? If you can't watch this show without being offended by the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16, then the entire point about how Lorelai struggled for years to bring up Rory both with and without her family's help at various times is meaningless. Why are you watching this show if you don't GET the fact that Lorelai got pregnant at 16?  Huh

Okay, let me justify my post. BEFORE you jump all over me. I can still like the show and not agree with people getting pregnant at 16.
My best friend is sleeping with her boyfriend, but is she being smart enough? NOOooo of course not. And now she thinks shes pregnant, at 14. Thats another story for another time.

Perhaps I shouldnt have used the word annoy, because that isn't what I meant, and I'm not saying this just because of the fact that people disagree with me. I could give a damn if you disagree with me, all the better in fact. I love to debate Smiley I just hate that teenagers have to bear the burden of having a child. I mean, you have hardly lived life.
I understand that Lorelai and Rory are both amazing woman, and that Lorelai has proven herself responsible, and mature of all that she did.
I just don't like teenage motherhood, it seems that it doesn't turn out that way...
If Lorelai was using protection and still fell pregnant, I don't feel she was doing anything wrong. I feel that she wasn't using any is what is wrong.
And the whole point of the show isnt meaningless to me. I love how Lorelai actually didn't turn around and give up, she struggled through a difficult time.
I am not in any way offended that she got pregant, so please don't assume so. I just don't think it is a good value to be preganant at 16.
I don't care if you still stand by what you said before. It doesn't matter to me.
Anyway, I pretty sticked you for stating your opinion so strongly, and for not snarkasticking me. Thats pretty classy.

Hey sorry if I did come across as a bit mean, I didn't intend to!!! Haha as you can probably see I love to debate too!!! Well I actually do agree that teenagers should use protection if they're having sex, and 14 is, in my opinion too young- I'm sorry that your friend has found herself in such a scary situation- but remember she'll need you. You don't sound like the type of person to start ignoring someone for something like this, so its lucky she has a friend like you. I'm sorry I assumed so much from one sentence!  Tongue Grin
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2006, 05:57:50 pm »

Oh, don't be sorry. I didn't mean to come across as a bitch. It is harder to understand people when everything must be typed, and cannont be spoken. It is hard to get points across a few times. 14 is to damn young, and even though I'm only 15, I think that she is being, quite frankly, an idiot. I would never abandon her, but she better not expect me to change its diaper. ;-) (Just kidding.) Still hoping its a scare.

Anyone else on here love to debate? What do we think of Rory sleeping with married Dean?

Marian...
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 282

Biggest South American Fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2006, 11:50:43 am »

Hahahahahaha! Well, what do the Irish look like? Yeah, I tried the whole fake tan thing. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.† Grin Shocked
Is it true that Ireland is kind of split? Between two religions I mean. Is there still a lot of conflict going on about that? Sorry if that seems like a silly question. I'll have to listen to "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" again....

I'm no expert on the subject (thanks smeg for the explanation) but there's a movie I saw recently... Ken Lodge was the director... Where The Wind Shakes The Barley. Hehe, I had been thinking so hard for the last 15 minutes until I could remeber its name. Anyway, it's a very good film. 

Marian

A big hug to the ORG's signature fairy, Melissa(and her baby)Thanks for the amazing job you did on my sig!

Biggest south American Fan - 100% Spoilerless

Just say 'Yes M.A.M.M.'
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2006, 02:48:16 pm »

Well, what do the Irish look like?

I always thought they had red hair and freckles. But an Irishman once told me that a majority of the Irish had dark hair and light colored eyes? And fair skin. Not sure if that is 100% true though.

smeg
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2007, 12:00:48 pm »

Oh, don't be sorry. I didn't mean to come across as a bitch. It is harder to understand people when everything must be typed, and cannont be spoken. It is hard to get points across a few times. 14 is to damn young, and even though I'm only 15, I think that she is being, quite frankly, an idiot. I would never abandon her, but she better not expect me to change its diaper. ;-) (Just kidding.) Still hoping its a scare.

Anyone else on here love to debate? What do we think of Rory sleeping with married Dean?

No don't worry, you didn't come across as a bitch.I hope its a scare as well! Rory sleeping with married Dean? If it isn't going anywhere, why bother? I dunno honestly. I didn't actually see that episode (or series, for that matter!  :Smiley )

I'm no expert on the subject (thanks smeg for the explanation) but there's a movie I saw recently... Ken Lodge was the director... Where The Wind Shakes The Barley. Hehe, I had been thinking so hard for the last 15 minutes until I could remeber its name. Anyway, it's a very good film.

No problem! I actually haven't seen it yet, but I did hear some excellent reviews!!  On a side note (yes, I really like those!) Cillian Murphy came to our town about 2 years ago to shoot a little bit of a film called Breakfast on Pluto..I didn't get to talk to him or anything  Cry but I do have to say that he is GORGEOUS, and, when dressed as a woman, in person he makes every other woman around jealous! Its not fair!! People should not look that pretty!!  Grin

I always thought they had red hair and freckles. But an Irishman once told me that a majority of the Irish had dark hair and light colored eyes? And fair skin. Not sure if that is 100% true though.

Yes, dark hair (usually brown), fair skin and blue or brown eyes! There are very few red haired and freckled Irish people running around unfortunately!!!! Wink
GGsCoffeeCup
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

binks!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2007, 12:32:29 pm »

Totally Christian, totally love Santa Claus.

Oh yeah, and GG.

Carmicone
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

Usagi-chan ~*I Love Gilmore Girls*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2007, 08:14:26 am »

moonbeams17

Well first off, no one was being angry or anyone or showing hatred toward anyone. This is just a discussion where everyone can voice their opinions. No one is absolutely right and no one is absolutely wrong. Please keep an open mind.
I know there are a lot of people that are good and have a good heart that aren't Christian or any religion. Each person has a choice on how they treat others. No Bible or religious book or person can do that for you. You make up your mind what type of person you are going to be and why. And please don't tell others to get over anything, we all have a right to an opinion as do you. And no one is juding anyone here. Sounds to me like you've had a little of this thrown at you. And I'm sorry because whoever did it was not putting things in the right context. I personally believe that sex should be something saved for marriage. I didn't wait, and I'm sorry I didn't, but "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" - Romans 3:23. Not one is perfect. And yes, the Old Testament was written a long time ago for people in that time period. Doesn't mean that we can't learn from it today. The same goes for history books. Old, written about a different time, but we can still learn about and from it.
All in all, we know this show is not meant to have religious views or for any religion to be singled out. But why can't those who want to discuss it, discuss it hear? This is a place to voice all views and opinions. Freedome of speech? And none of us has the right to judge another person. But everyone is guilty of it in their own way. We all do it, whether we mean to or not.
I love God and am happy and proud to be a Christian and I will not judge or belittle anyone that is not. How Christ-like would that be?
I completely agree with you, moonbeams, I think we all have the right to voice our opinions, and we have this thread so we can discuss this, it's not a place to get angry at each other. I'm sorry if I ofended anyone, but I only voiced my opinion. As White Onyx said, even though I do believe sex is to be saved for when you are married, that doesn't mean I think Lorelai is bad because she got pregnant at 16 (nor that anyone in her position in a real situation is) nor I believe that Rory is bad for sleeping with Dean, and I certainly didn't implied (I hope) that people who do that are going to hell, because God is infinite Love, and you will be forgiven of all your sins, no matter how big they are, all you need to do is have Faith.
I also know it's not that important, but I realized that since I posted here my comunity points dropped, I am truly sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings Sad
Oh, and By the way ggadict (OT), I saw your conversation with smeg and I have white skin, brown-redish hair and green eyes Cheesy My parents are from Asturias, Spain, which has a lot of celtic influence ^^ (sorry, I just wanted to share, LOL)

"Love is a desire for that lost half of ourselves"
[/b]

*Random pretty sticks, aaah, to give and receive...*
ggaddict24
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

"I'll look like the Morton's Salt girl!"

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2007, 09:27:44 am »

Well, I don't like that Lorelai got pregnant at 16, but that is the basis for the show. And I agree that ASP took the opportunity to show how to come out of it in a good and positive way.

*Carmicone* - That's awesome! I wouldn't have thought that Spain would have celtic influence. But just the same, it's cool!

"Oh, so you were already eating. It wasnít just an out of the blue, ĎAnd I give you my corn.í Okay, got it." -Lorelai
Carmicone
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

Usagi-chan ~*I Love Gilmore Girls*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2007, 09:41:29 am »

*Carmicone* - That's awesome! I wouldn't have thought that Spain would have celtic influence. But just the same, it's cool!

Yes! In fact, we have a lot of Celtiuc influence in that part of Spain, that is mainly the North of Spain. For starters, the weather is practically the same, very rainy and green, we share the pipes (although they are a bit different from those on Scotland, and I don't know if in Ireland there are also pipes), and the dances are very similar too, vigorous and a lot of jumping Cheesy

I also agree that ASP showed a great way to come out of a difficult situation as the one Lorelai had to face out, and I have said in another threads that I admire the way Lorelai came out of it, and how she is as a mom, she is just great because of her great love for Rory and her funny, almost child-like (in a positive way) personality, and that's what makes her a great mother. I just love her personality, I hope that when I'm a mother I can be that easygoing and funny, just to play with your kid and not being serious all the time. We just have to keep our children's souls just as Jesus said.

"Love is a desire for that lost half of ourselves"
[/b]

*Random pretty sticks, aaah, to give and receive...*
clarinet4life
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2007, 07:45:41 am »

i am lutheran and  Hearts Luv GG! i really dont think that there is anything wrong with the show its just life and things happen in life that happen in gg
roxygal7
Town Resident

Community Points: 18

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2007, 12:57:48 pm »

I think that that is what GG is trying to portray.  The fact that life is tough, and there are many trial and tribulations to make it through, and we may not necessarily make the best possible decision.  But there is salvation from your mistakes.  Life does move on and great things can come from mistakes.  You just have to choose whether or not youll let them eat at you or put them behond and move on!

Lorelai: "I'm exhausted, the phones far. Make it short and sweet!"

Im an official Middy!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: