Lauren Graham moving on after series' end - 7.12.07
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2017, 02:11:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476533 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19874 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Show and Cast Member News
| | |-+  Lauren Graham moving on after series' end - 7.12.07
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lauren Graham moving on after series' end - 7.12.07  (Read 9244 times)
PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:48:34 am »

Lauren Graham moving on after series' end

Jamie Portman, CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, July 12, 2007

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- You've had this really cool, well-paying job for seven years -- and all of a sudden, you lose it. So, what do you do? Well, if your name is Lauren Graham, you're definitely not going to plunge into some sort of depression. Gilmore Girls -- the mainstay of your existence since the arrival of the new millennium -- may have been terminated this spring, but the last thing you're going to do is behave as though your life is over.

Graham knows there are actors out there who never recover emotionally or professionally from the demise of a hit TV series. But she isn't one of them. This summer, even as Gilmore Girls continues to show up on reruns, she's on the big screen, portraying Steve Carell's wife in Evan Almighty.

And before the year is out, she'll have made two more movies. She's too busy to mourn the loss of her long-running series about a zany mother-daughter relationship.

Besides, she's been aware for a long time of a "downside" to being in a hit TV show: it can make you too cozy and comfortable.

Graham, 40, believes an actor needs to be fuelled by adrenaline, and that doesn't happen very often if you have the security of a TV series.

"Part of my love of the acting job is not knowing what's coming next," she explains. "I remember having this feeling a couple of years into the show. I was like: 'There's some feeling that I miss. What is it?' " She realized she was missing the element of "the unexpected" in her career -- "of not knowing what the next thing might be and if I would get it or not get it." Right now, she actually enjoys being in the kind of situation she experienced when she was younger of not knowing what that next job would be, or whether her phone would keep ringing with offers.

"I'm sure that after a while it will drive me crazy," she laughs. "But for now, it feels really nice. I'm doing a movie right now, and I'm going to do something else in like a month, so I know what my next couple of things are, and I'm just really excited to have these different experiences. And you know, I feel that I've kind of earned that." Currently, she's finishing work on Laws Of Motion in which she costars with Matthew Perry for director Craig Lucas. "It's an independent film ... and Hilary Swank is a producer on it and has taken a supporting role just to lend her name to it. That's really cool and inspiring -- to see an an actress whose company is helping get stuff made because she believes in it. It's the story of a dysfunctional family and Matthew Perry is my husband and we have a sort of quiet marriage which is in trouble, and his brother and sister come to stay with us -- to disastrous results.

"It's kind of a dark comedy -- I'm a very conservative, shut-down character who is trying to be nice to these people she thinks are freaks. That's a cool place to be." This summer, she'll again play a wife -- this time to Greg Kinnear. The movie remains untitled, but it's a true story about "the man who invented the intermittent windshield wiper.

"It's a really great story because he felt that his patent was stolen by the car companies. He spent his life, not necessarily fighting for money, which he ended up getting quite a bit of, but for the rights of inventors." Both projects attracted her because their unusual story lines supply that element of "the unexpected" which she was missing so much.

Meanwhile, in adjusting to the end of Gilmore Girls, she's also adjusting to one of the oddities of the contemporary entertainment business: because the series will continue to have a life both in reruns and later in DVD reissues, Lorelai Gilmore will remain an unchanging fixture in the lives of many fans. But Graham now knows it was time to move on.

"I felt the show was telling us it was over," she says candidly. But even so, her emotions were mixed.

"We were all feeling restless. But also you feel so attached. It's like a project that becomes a person. You want to leave that person in the right place or something." She didn't feel the show was in a rut. "We felt that to do that show cost a certain amount of time and dedication. It never got easier. Usually in years five, six, seven on a show like this, you get into a routine. The days become normal. That never happened there." Yet there remained the feeling that Gilmore Girls had run its course. "We discussed all kinds of different options ... and they tried and we tried, and at the end of the day there wasn't a way to do it any differently, and I think they (the producers) thought it was going to cost them a whole lot to renegotiate with everybody." So Gilmore Girls came to an end -- and, says Graham, "it felt like the right thing. It was one of the best jobs I ever had, so of course, it was hard to leave. But when it was done, I thought -- oh, all right!" She knows there could be new television offers down the road, but she's cautious.

"I love television ... but let's face it -- the next thing will be a disaster. It'll last three episodes. That's just the odds. That's just what happens."

Credit: http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/arts_life/story.html?id=ceafbdab-2920-4502-a426-74ab24a449da

My New Website
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1943

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:04 pm »

I love this article - thanks for posting it Amber.

It feels to me that for the first time Lauren was able to speak candidly about how she feels about the show ending and where she stands with it.  Yes it pretty much says what she has been saying all along, but as always, with time has come the ability for her to be speaking from where she is at now, rather than where she was.  And I just feel like these were spoken without the need to appease fans or the studio.

I can't wait to see her movies......she has a way of drawing me into the roles she plays and I love that I'll get to see her playing very different roles to Lorelai.

Please read Forum Rules
JillianLovesFood
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:21:54 pm »

The comments recorded and used in this article sound almost exactly like some other interviews that have been released a couple of weeks to a month ago. I wonder if writers are just recycling things or if Lauren keeps telling the same things over again?

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:44:16 am »

Thanks for posting that.

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:46:20 pm »

The comments recorded and used in this article sound almost exactly like some other interviews that have been released a couple of weeks to a month ago. I wonder if writers are just recycling things or if Lauren keeps telling the same things over again?
Yeah I know what you mean...this is dated July 12th but it seems like I've heard all this stuff before...

But its sad  Cry. She's over GG already? I'm kinda bummed.  Undecided

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
JillianLovesFood
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:23:59 pm »

But its sad  . She's over GG already? I'm kinda bummed.
I think; 1) the same things she says over and over again is like both her and Alexis saying that quote: "It was time to move on,". I think they set up exactly what they're going to say because they know what questions are going to be asked so it may not be as personal as it sounds. They're answers given so they don't say the wrong things (offending people and starting flame wars) and so they can move onto other questions/topics quicker. 2) Lauren and Alexis are taking all the free time they have now that GG is over to dive into as many projects as they can while they can because like Lauren said earlier no one has any idea how they're careers are going to go in a year. It makes a LOT of sense to gain as much income as one can in case one gets laid off later. Plus in their minds I think they are taking roles that they wouldn't have been able to take (with time, obligations to the network) if they were still in contracts with the CW. 3) I'm sure the tough negotiations were hard on them and they're feeling relieved that it's all over.. no more pressure but 4) the left-over feelings around how the show ended are bound to resurface as they gain more free time later on and it's something that scares them I think.

I think of it like Lorelai and Luke's kiss in the finale episode. Yes, it was amazing and sweet but one little kiss can't possibly wipe away all the pain and hurt that went on between them. They need to be able to find out what went wrong, fix the mistakes they made and this time truly be in it for each other... not just for themselves. Otherwise, they'll never be able to move on in the right direction. That's what I think LG and AB might be scared of happening. The last episode was nice but it wasn't enough to settle all the problems that have occured over the past few years. Leaving the show in this way will always make it feel like the show is in limbo somewhere wanting to get fixed but never getting the chance to. That is going to make it impossible for the actors (and even the creators) involved with the show for 7 years to close that chapter in their life completely... without baggage. Oh man, I think I just rambled on there. Embarrassed Sorry, I was just saying my opinions... I know there are people who might disagree with what I said but I tend to ration things based on my reasonings way too much sometimes  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:26:44 pm by JillianLovesFood » Logged

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
gjoni
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:05:24 am »

Thanks for the article, Amber.

Yes, you're right. It's taken from the Evan Almighty press junket interviews, just over a month ago.
PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:07:55 am »

You are welcome everyone.

I guess Lauren has to move on.  And more power to her.  She is capable of great things!

My New Website
RorysMom
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 02:14:55 pm »

I can understand wanting your career to move on.  How much more was there for Lorelai anyway?  She is getting along with Richard and Emily, she and Luke are on the path to togetherness, she co-owns and operates a successful business, and her hatchling has spread its wings and taken off to start her own life.  Yes, I know there could have been a lot of stuff happen, but honestly, she finally has the life she has worked so hard for.  Her parents respect, Luke's love, Rory grown up and out to set the world on fire.  She is right where she needs to be.  Often from that area, there isn't much that happens after that in TV.  Lauren has to move on, since Lorelai is now where she needs to be, a fond memory and a really good experience.

Besides, the show would never have worked without the constant interaction of Rory and Lorelai, and Rory going on the bus tour would have made that impossible.  THE SHOW DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT THE TWO OF THEM INTERACTING.  Sorry, that is just my opinion.  And believe me, my daughter does NOT agree.  She still hasn't gotten over the fact that there is no NEW Gilmore Girls in her future.  She has been watching it since she was 18 months old, every Tuesday night at 7p.m.  That is definitly something to have to work on, because she still is angry and the reruns aren't doing it.  NEither is owning all the box sets I can get right now. Huh

Today it is up to you to create the peacefulness you long for.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: