GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 18, 2019, 01:09:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.18 - Hay Bale Maze  (Read 119038 times)
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2007, 12:52:01 pm »

Yah, Logan made a bigg mistake. He did need to stop working for his father, Mitchem though (wow, I hated that guy) Its good that Logan can addmitt his mistake though. And your righht, Lessa. He needs to decide whether to go strait ahead or go back to the start. He needs to find out what he wants to with his life!

Your also right about Luke and Lorelai. Their both still crazy for each other. But, I know Lorelai made a mistake by goign to Chris, but like Luke said, he was pushing Loelai away with April. Loelai just felt left out nd bad, and she just was not thinking. They really need to get back together, but they need to know that themselves. Lorelai's stil confused, and i tihnk Luke is waiting for her, and has been for a very ver yvery long time.

lessa:
"Maybe the two of them should get together and swap notes on how to get started being your own man."

yupp, lol!

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
calida
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

F.A.I.T.H.

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2007, 03:46:33 pm »

I think it's kind of pathetic that Logan doesn't even have a JOB! Even if it is just selling shoes at some random store. At least he would get a paycheck and it isn't like he can't work on his Idea Book.

I'm also really surprised Rory knew nothing about it before. You would think that a 3 million dollar company was bought and that lawsuits came up or whatever. It would definitely be in the newspapers. I don't remember what that episode was but it was like 7 weeks after it had happened before he told Rory or something. She would have definitely known about it.

Java Junkie Part Headliner/Part Literati
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2007, 04:45:49 pm »

Logan has too much Pride and ego to get a job like selling shoes. I no thats stupid, but its just him! I dought he knows anything about the real world, becasue like he said, 'hes been living in a world of privlage' and he doesnt know what its like to work like that.

Your right, Rory should have seen something in the papers!

skftex
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 287

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2007, 05:55:25 pm »

See, that is why I made the point of Logan still having money.  He doesn't HAVE TO get a job.  I don't know if he would take a job at a shoe store if he had to, but somehow, I think he would.  He just doesn't have to, so he has time to work on an idea book, he isn't going to starve and he isn't living off of Rory either (he did say he'd buy more milk LOL).  Lorelai left her parents and HAD to get a job, so she worked as a maid, but she also had a baby to take care of, and that weighed in alot on the types of jobs she was willing to take.  Logan has no one but himself, and I don't mean that he's selfish, but Rory isn't financially dependent on him.  He has money, and time, so why not find what he really wants to do?

Sharon

GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2007, 06:02:20 pm »

True, verry true. He did loose a lot of moeny though, and he will run out of moeny, so im not saying he has to find a job RIGHT away, but he definitly has to find one soon. As he said: "I wnat to work, Im ready to work, I want to work hard" Adn i believe him. I know that he wants to fix his mistake and do good.

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2007, 06:21:43 pm »

See, that is why I made the point of Logan still having money.  He doesn't HAVE TO get a job.  I don't know if he would take a job at a shoe store if he had to, but somehow, I think he would.  He just doesn't have to, so he has time to work on an idea book, he isn't going to starve and he isn't living off of Rory either (he did say he'd buy more milk LOL).  Lorelai left her parents and HAD to get a job, so she worked as a maid, but she also had a baby to take care of, and that weighed in alot on the types of jobs she was willing to take.  Logan has no one but himself, and I don't mean that he's selfish, but Rory isn't financially dependent on him.  He has money, and time, so why not find what he really wants to do?

Sharon

Thank you.  I've been trying to find a way to say this and couldn't.  And, even if he does go out and get a regular nine to five job, it will be something along the lines of his interests.  I could see something to do with journalism or something in the field where he has some education and experience.  It could be at the bottom of that field, but unless his circumstances change, he's not going to be a maid or a janitor or a shoes salesman.  And, there's no reason why he should if he doesn't have to.  I do think if he had to take a job just for the sake of paycheck, he'd take any job he was capable of doing.  But, as long as he doesn't have to take a certain job he won't.  And, he's no different than many other people and many other less privileged people.   

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2007, 07:00:38 pm »

ONe thing: I dought he'll get into journalism, he hated the Yale Daley News. Just wnted to point that out.

ObessedwithGG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2007, 07:05:56 pm »

I think that was more from the life that was forced on him.  I think he'll be more apt to find something in marketing, finding new ideas and pushing them. Just like he was telling Lorelai.  He'd be good at stuff like that I think.

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
skftex
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 287

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »

Thank you.  I've been trying to find a way to say this and couldn't. 

You are welcome. Cheesy 

And, even if he does go out and get a regular nine to five job, it will be something along the lines of his interests.  I could see something to do with journalism or something in the field where he has some education and experience.  It could be at the bottom of that field, but unless his circumstances change, he's not going to be a maid or a janitor or a shoes salesman. 

Right, and really, in the long run, people are best doing what they WANT to do, rather than what they have to do. They usually do better in the job and are happier in their home lives as well.  So let him find what he wants to do, because he has the money and that gives him the time to figure it out.

And, there's no reason why he should if he doesn't have to.  I do think if he had to take a job just for the sake of paycheck, he'd take any job he was capable of doing.  But, as long as he doesn't have to take a certain job he won't.  And, he's no different than many other people and many other less privileged people.   
Yep, I think he probably would to, if it came to that, but like I said before, he didn't have a heart attack at the sight of his first credit card bill, so he seems to be ok for now. 

What is funny about this is I really DID NOT like Logan at first, but now I find myself defending him.  That is why I think his storyline is the most interesting to me this season, because he seems the most complex of all the characters right now. 

Sharon

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:04 am »

Ech, I'll spare you a little rhetoric and just say I disagree about what people have to do and want to do. The fear about Logan being lazy is that without his footing being on fire, he won't be able to find what he wants, like Lorelai. She was forced to work, who knows how far she would have carried her reckless habits without her parents to confine her, otherwise?

If it's another commonality between them, being forced into taking a job (any job) could be the best thing that ever happened to Logan. And so I choose to believe he's putting on a brave face about his cash flow the same way he was about his options. Not being able to pay his own way would be completely alien, not to mention humiliating to a guy like Logan (Marty's revenge complete?) and I can see him offering to pay for milk he couldn't afford if it came to that.

willowsprite
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 10

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2007, 12:43:59 pm »

And, even if he does go out and get a regular nine to five job, it will be something along the lines of his interests.  I could see something to do with journalism or something in the field where he has some education and experience.  It could be at the bottom of that field, but unless his circumstances change, he's not going to be a maid or a janitor or a shoes salesman. 

Right, and really, in the long run, people are best doing what they WANT to do, rather than what they have to do. They usually do better in the job and are happier in their home lives as well.  So let him find what he wants to do, because he has the money and that gives him the time to figure it out.

Was totally thinking along these lines when I read these last couple of posts.  Having been in the working world for a while, I can say that unless you're really broke, its better to pause, breathe, and think about what type of career you want and then get a job (even a low-paying one) in that field.  Logan never got to think about HIS career, what he wanted.  He had been brainwashed to think he had to go work for his Dad upon graduation, his life wasn't his own (easy for us to say he should have resisted, we didn't grow up with Mitchum).  So now, he's broken free, realized that lightening didn't strike him dead when he told his Dad -I resign.  But its unrealistic to think he should jump from that right into a new job, and know what direction to head in.  He's thinking about emerging technologies and what he enjoys/is good at.  I say, take the time to figure it out Logan. 

Just rewatched this epi last night, and have to say, I liked it more upon second viewing.  And I have a different take on L/L in the maze.  Their paths crossed in life, they helped each other in significant ways (Luke showing Lorelei the way out) and then parted, going in different directions.  Maybe the maze is symbolic of their lives going separate ways.  In contrast Rory and Logan went through it together, choosing the same path.   :Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:47:01 pm by willowsprite » Logged
jamhandsmom
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2007, 02:22:43 pm »

Along those lines, another thought is that Logan is a college graduate. Once you graduate from college the jobs you are willing to take tend to define who you are and where you end up, career-wise. For Logan to take a month or two and think about what he's doing is probably better than getting in line at McDonald's to flip burgers--if he has money he can live off of.
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:24 pm »

I also can't picture people suggesting that anyone else on the show in a similar situation to Logan's do some blue collared job just to say they're working.  Just to clarify, there's nothing wrong or demeaning about blue collar work.  But, for instance, if Rory had quit a journalism job and hadn't found something else, my guess is, people would be saying she should get up and go find work at another paper.  Or start writing freelance articles.  I highly doubt anyone would say Rory should be mopping floors just to do it.  In fact, I could easily see people criticizing Rory for slumming and not using her skills and passions if that's what she was doing.

Just to clarify (although my clarifications often confuse the issue even more) it's not that people shouldn't say he should be working.  I disagree with the importance or lack of placed on his idea book, but I get those concerns.  It's the whole choice of jobs suggested that he should be doing.  Hey, if Logan had no education, no skills, broke away from his family and was running out of money, I'd be all for him digging ditches.   That's not the reality, so I just don't get why he needs to live like it is.  Now, if I felt he wasn't moving fast enough in getting a job, I would say that he should start trying to get a job working for another paper, outside of the HPG.  He appeared to enjoy what he did in London and even his business failure came about because he was excited enough to branch out on his own and ignore his dad's warnings.  There was no dislike or apathy.  He wouldn't be in charge of any accounts, but I could see him finding work in that capacity as part of a team or even a worker drone. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:05:48 pm by Dani257 » Logged

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2007, 04:24:05 pm »

Just to clarify, "any job" for Logan is any job a wet-eared Yale graduate with a few months of professional experience could get. Yeah, he could bum around and figure out what he wants, but I like Lorelai's way better: she got on with the business of living her life and found her passion in the things she was "forced" to do to support Rory.

Logan's professional background is not worthless, but without his family, it doesn't exactly qualify him for six figures anymore. Whether he works in journalism or record sales, he'll have to start at the bottom and work his way up to his dream job of editorship or pop divahood or whatever. Not knowing which he prefers, he might very well dither over which ladder he wants to start up until the very last minute.

Or maybe, like Lorelai, he will have a great big billboard sign directing him to his personal Independence. Either way, Logan is in a crisis of indecision right now, and he needs a push. Working with his idea book will probably turn up better results once he has a life into which he can see how his ideas fit.

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2007, 04:41:20 pm »

I have every respect for what Lorelai did, but I wouldn't call it living her life to have become a maid.  She did that because she honestly had no workable skills.  Except maybe sewing (I'd love to know when she learned that.  Did they teach home ec during Lorelai's time in school, or did she learn on the job?).  And, even then, she was incredibly lucky to find a woman like Mia who was willing to take in a teenage high school drop out, with a baby in toe.  That's why I don't think it's relevant to put Lorelai's experiences with Logan's.  They bring different skill levels, different financial situations (I assumed Lorelai had saved up some money, but not enough to have time to be at all choosy and she didn't seem to have access to any trust fund), and different attitudes.  Plus, I just don't like Lorelai's way as being a blueprint for how everyone should act.

And, I would fully support Logan either actively trying to get his ideas off the ground or working in journalism or record sales or something like that, even at the bottom.  But, that's not what everyone has been saying.  People haven't all said he should be willing to start at the bottom of his field and take a job that any wet eared Yale graduate with a few months of professional experience could get.  It's that he should take any job just to get a job. Jobs that have nothing to do with his skills or education.  And, that's not his reality.  Just like it's not Rory's reality.  It's also not Lorelai's reality now although it was at 17. 

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  

Jump to: