'Gilmore,' 'Mars' stars in the spotlight - 07.03.06
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 04:14:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Show and Cast Member News
| | |-+  'Gilmore,' 'Mars' stars in the spotlight - 07.03.06
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'Gilmore,' 'Mars' stars in the spotlight - 07.03.06  (Read 3592 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 647

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:01:30 pm »

'Gilmore,' 'Mars' stars in the spotlight

By PAMELA SITT, The Seattle Times
July 3rd, 2006

Come fall, Tuesdays on the CW might be this writer's new favorite TV night of the week. That's because when the WB and UPN got married, "Gilmore Girls" and "Veronica Mars" became stepsisters, and fans of good television everywhere rejoiced.

Lane from "Gilmore Girls" (Keiko Agena) and Wallace (Percy Daggs III) from "Veronica Mars" were in Seattle for the local CW station's upfront - industry-speak for advertisers' event with fancy ice sculpture. Agena declined a dare to rush the stage and start playing drums with the house band. She drums in real life, you see, and she also was recently married, just like her character on "Gilmore Girls."

Asked if there had been any "Memoirs of a Geisha"-style controversy over the fact that Lane is Korean and Keiko is Japanese, she said, "I was really concerned about that in year one. My best friend is Korean, and she gives me a hard time, but [fans] haven't been viciously against it."

Besides, Keiko eats kimchi (for breakfast!), so she's almost forgiven for butchering the Korean language on national TV.

"We cannot apologize enough for how bad our Korean is," she said, referring also to her onscreen mom, the formidable Mrs. Kim, who's played by Japanese actress Emily Kuroda.

Mrs. Kim may be scary on the show, but in real life, Kuroda is "about as opposite from her character as anybody can be," Keiko said. "She is the nicest, most unassuming tech geek you will ever meet. She's always telling me about new gadgets and computer programs."

Keiko, meantime, is a home/gardening geek.

"I only watch HGTV: Candice Olsen, 'Landscapers' Challenge,' 'Designing for the Sexes,' " she said. "There's not one show on HGTV I don't watch. I've convinced myself that I will someday actually tile something."

Despite widespread apprehension about the upcoming seventh season of "Gilmore," which will be the first without series creators Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, Keiko remains optimistic. "I think the show will continue to have legs without them," she said. "I'm not as nervous as I would be if this were year three... . I'm kind of excited to see what new eyes will bring to it."

The cast starts filming the seventh and probably final season in July.

A nice guy

Percy Daggs III, who plays the amiable Wallace Fennel on "Veronica Mars," arrived at the party with his mom. He is maybe the nicest guy you will ever meet. During an interview, he talked about the changes, both onscreen and off, between the first and second seasons of "Veronica Mars."

"The first season... the energy was so raw and so thirsty," he said. "This year, people are doing their own thing, different projects."

The cast expanded in season two, which resulted in less screen time for some of the original five series regulars. Wallace, formerly known only as Veronica's trusty sidekick, got his own storyline but appeared in fewer episodes.

"You got to see more of his personal life, instead of him just getting a file or something," Percy said. "I was raised by a single mom [like his character], so there is a toughness that I bring to Wallace."

Next season, Percy said, he is looking forward to resuming his relationship with Veronica after spending most of the second season away from Neptune.

"He has become the Watson to her Sherlock Holmes," he said. "I like playing the sidekick. I like him coming through for her in the clutch, because that's what a best friend does."

He's also looking forward to the opportunity to draw more viewers to the critically acclaimed but ratings-plagued series when it moves to the CW.

"I think our show is the kind of show where we needed to move from the pond to the lake," he said, adding, "I'm a pressure player."

Credit: http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/14956238.htm?source=rss&channel=dailynews_living

Flame    Flame
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:09:12 pm »

Asked if there had been any "Memoirs of a Geisha"-style controversy over the fact that Lane is Korean and Keiko is Japanese, she said, "I was really concerned about that in year one. My best friend is Korean, and she gives me a hard time, but [fans] haven't been viciously against it."

Besides, Keiko eats kimchi (for breakfast!), so she's almost forgiven for butchering the Korean language on national TV.

"We cannot apologize enough for how bad our Korean is," she said, referring also to her onscreen mom, the formidable Mrs. Kim, who's played by Japanese actress Emily Kuroda.

I don't mean to sound snooty, but I don't think your typical non Korean/Korean-American viewer would really notice, much less be upset about it.  Maybe it's just me, but if no one had said that the Kims were being played by Japanese actresses, I wouldn't have known.  And, since I don't speak Korean, I don't know what's being said correctly or not.  Although, don't they have linguistic coaches for when actors play someone of a different nationality?  I guess academically, people might wonder why they couldn't get Koreans to play the part, but since I don't think either actresss got (or gets) as much publicity as the leads, by the time anyone found out, they had probably already accepted them as the characters they play. 

Maybe she meant those people who would know right away that she wasn't really Korean.  Actual Koreans and non Koreans more observant than me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:11:00 pm by Dani257 » Logged

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
wmushell
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 950

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 08:52:27 pm »

My sister-in-law is Korean and my father works with many Japanese associates.  I know, from these sources, that Korea and Japan have a huge rivalry with each other (in general).  Maybe this is what she is referring to. 

I love Veronica Mars and I'm soooo happy it will be on the same night as GG.  VM is my new favorite thing to Netflix!  Don't have to Netflix GG, I own ALL of them. Wink  Tuesday nights are going to be fantastic on the CW.

Anyone who hasn't seen Veronica Mars, I highly recommend it.  The writing is wonderful and the plots are riveting.

Kelso
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 58

*~)Anya(~*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 05:36:26 pm »

My best friend is Korean, but she was adopted, so she doesn't have a crazy mother like Mrs. Kim. I can't believe Emily Kuroda is a tech geek! That's so funny.

*~Anyanka~*

Don't Call Me Bones
Reading is sexy.
notebook_romance
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

once.in.a.lifetime

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:40:41 pm »

To tell the truth, I hadnt even realized the nationalities, I think when yu love a show like Gilmore Girls or Veronica Mars, yu of course love the actors but I believe the thing you most fall in love with are the characters. For instance Kirk on Gilmore Girls, Personally i love him hes hilarious, but Im sure their are people out there who don't like him, but you still can't help but laugh everytime he says something. So sometimes we just have to put things into perspective, hating an actor for playing a different nationality then what they really are is like semi-racism. What are people gunna do? get mad because they're really Japanese..big deal. I still Love them!
But thats just my opinion
Exes and Ohs.

<.true.love.is.not.a.maybe.thing.>
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: