The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:27:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1733031 times)
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #6750 on: July 10, 2007, 09:27:34 pm »

Are we trying to get a season with 13 episodes?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
JillianLovesFood
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:15 pm »

I think we're trying for 8-13 episodes at this point. Anything we can get that would shift the impact of the series back to where it should've been years ago.

Rob- I still don't know what to tell people on the forums who want to know what happened and heard various rumors about it. I can't just say: "Nothing is confirmed" because straight answers would help back us up. Otherwise people will be asking "If it's the actresses faults then why should we care?" and "Why should we bother helping if even the actors didn't want to continue with the show", etc.

BTW Rob- if you or Heather are planning anything that involves New York let me know because I live close enough where I can help if there are plans... but I need a little more than a month's notice so I can buy Bus or Train tickets at reasonable prices.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:31:45 pm by JillianLovesFood » Logged

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: July 10, 2007, 10:19:45 pm »

So, we are trying for at least 8 episodes, right?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09:07 am »

I think we're trying for 8-13 episodes at this point. Anything we can get that would shift the impact of the series back to where it should've been years ago.

Rob- I still don't know what to tell people on the forums who want to know what happened and heard various rumors about it. I can't just say: "Nothing is confirmed" because straight answers would help back us up. Otherwise people will be asking "If it's the actresses faults then why should we care?" and "Why should we bother helping if even the actors didn't want to continue with the show", etc.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this one and all I can do is emphasize a few points that we do know:

1) One, the other or possibly (but not likely) both actresses rejected the network's most recent offer at the end of April.  That does not mean that they were walking away from the negotiating table or anything.  It just means that whoever rejected the offer rejected the offer. 

2) The most reliable rumors *and* news reports *and* interviews with Ed Herrmann and Lauren (among others) indicate that the issues that the actresses were most concerned with were scheduling and exhaustion issues, NOT money.  Reports from the network's camp also confirm that the actresses were offered substantial increases in salary.  If money were the issue, we'd have known long before now.

3)  It's not the actresses' fault, per se.  IMO, it's *everybody's* fault.  For whatever reason, more than one person was not willing to budge on the issue that caused the negotiations to collapse.

4)  That said, the CW made the final decision to walk away from the negotiation table on May 2nd.  They could have done with Gg exactly what they tried to do with VM and what ABC *succeeded* in doing with According to Jim, which was to not announce anything about Gg's fate and start negotiating again under less pressure.  According to Jim just got renewed for 18 episodes nearly two months after the fall schedule was announced and in *that* case, the problem reportedly was with one of the lead actors (not Belushi).  In any case, the CW handled the end of Gg *badly.*  They're already taking hits from not just fans, but critics and advertisers.

5) "Why bother when the actors didn't want to continue the show?"  That's entirely debatable.  Many of the actors on the show *did* and likely still *do* want the show to continue.  Scott Patterson was *signed* for season 8, as were other cast members who were under contract.  Interestnig but less-reliable rumors even have it that Lauren herself may have been signed to season 8 as early as mid-April.  Kelly Bishop, Liza Weil and Edward Herrmann all voiced their displeasure with how the show ended to varying degrees of sentiment in Washington Post article on May 15th.  Bishop blasted how the series ended as "insulting the fans."  IMO, as I'm looking back on it now, Bishop may not have been *only* speaking her mind, she might have been speaking by proxy for someone she thinks highly of on the show and who thinks highly of her.  There are certainly some political things going on in the fallout of the show's cancellation in which certain people involved in the show are sort of naming who to blame by not naming her.  There are three possible "her"'s, two in front of the screen and one behind the screen and one of them, I think, can 100% safely be ruled out because of something that she has done that I'll note below.

6)  "Why bother when the actors didn't want to continue the show?"  Part 2:  Amy Sherman-Palladino spoke to Michael Ausiello of TV Guide at Fox's party at the Upfronts in May, and she told him that she wants to do a 2-hour movie in "a year or two."  As Deadwood and Angel fans know, a promise like that means nothing until/unless contracts are signed.  However, every single lead actor, including Alexis and Lauren, voiced interest in such an idea.  Lauren and Scott were particularly enthusiastic, Alexis a little less so.  But like I said, no contracts are signed or are even close to being signed and waiting for Amy's schedule to free up, while an interesting concept, is simply ridonkulous.  You don't wait for a person's schedule to "free up" in showbiz, you make the agreement and then compare calendars and find the a time far enough in advance, but soon enough in advance in which every person's schedule is free -- usually it's far enough in advance that it's at the point where nobody has any firm plans for that slot -- usually, 6 to 8 months in advance, less further out when you're NOT an A-List movie star.  For instance, deplorably, Lauren is more or less working booking-to-booking at this point, three-to-four months at a time, in wife roles that are waaaay beneath her talent.  She signs to play the next wife role around the time her filming ends for her current wife role.  And is in initial talks for yet another Wife role after that while she's filming the current one and signing onto the next one.  She's clearly following a short-term plan of taking too many lame roles in a row for *some* reason.

I've said this before:  Lauren admitted on the June 12th edition of The Tonight Show that "we didn't say goodbye properly" to the crew.  A couple of hours later, in her chat with posters at the GoldDerby.com message board, she extended that sentiment to include the fans, actively asking them questions about why they want to see a 2-hour movie and what they'd like to see in one.  She also stated that she planned to talk to Amy when she went to NYC.  Graham and Bishop have also been having a little bit of a mutual admiration society of their own over the past month or so, with Graham remarking that in the cast, she's closest to Bishop and Bishop admitting in an interview published in the Post-Standard of Syracuse, NY at http://www.syracuse.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/118284868022980.xml&coll=1 that she considers Graham to be her daughter.

The reason that I'm going on at length about this is because I'm hoping that you can use it to distill the following two points:

A)  Even though the CW walked away from the negotiating talks *primarily in frustration,* they did desperately want to keep their 2nd-highest rated show and were doing everything they could to try to figure out a solution.  However, their frustration came through in the perfunctory terseness of the cancellation announcement itself.  Somebody at the network *does* need to be reminded that the show can and should continue despite the way that that negotiation process fell apart.

B)  Since one of the actresses was "less amenable" to coming back than the other (you do the math), it's a tricky situation to finesse because it boils down to not money, but politics.  Finessing the situation so that the person who is perceived to be the real stumbling block isn't totally alienated from coming back to the negotiating table is tricky business.  And yes, I'm being deliberately but transparently circumspect.  Conversely, convincing the other two parties that a revival could and should be done with as little partcipation by the third party as she wants could be a possible solution.  There are other possible solutions that could be discussed, but I'm being circumspect, again, because I don't want to piss mumbletymumblety off . . . because IMO, it's not constructive to base a revival campaign for a show cancelled in such a unique way by directly placing blame on any particular person, especially not when IMO, they all DO own a piece of it.  (Lauren should never have made that Pact.).  Regardless of who is to blame, the actresses have *both* expressed interest in some sort of a continuation of the series.  So our goal is more to convince both them and the network that a revival -- and a longer revival than what Amy had suggested -- is in everyone's best interests, the actresses', the network's, the studio's, the viewers' and IMO, most importantly, the *story's* best interest.  (Lauren,of course, is now lamenting the season finale.)

Or, to put it more simply: 

There's still a LOT of interest in the show, even from one of the two lead actresses.  So in a situation like this, where it's not constructive at all to place blame on anyone or even to assume anything about an actress who doesn't communicate to the press all that much, I think we more or less need to stay out of the argument of why the show was cancelled and just concentrate on a message just as simple and nuance-unchallenged:  that we know that they're interested and we therefore think that they all should come back to the table and make the compromises necessary to give *everybody* the ending to the show that it deserves.

Like I said, I don't know how to distill that down into anything simpler, I just hope that my rambling has given you enough material to work with to do what I have no clue how to do.

BTW Rob- if you or Heather are planning anything that involves New York let me know because I live close enough where I can help if there are plans... but I need a little more than a month's notice so I can buy Bus or Train tickets at reasonable prices.

No current plans unless you were to find out that one or the other Gilmore actresses were going to be doing a junket across all of the NYC-based talk shows anytime soon.  OTOH, if you could find out where Jezebel James is filming -- probably Silvercup Studios -- you should also find out if they give tours and if so, take it and wear Gg-related clothing or a pin or whatever, while doing so.  That's just off the top of my head as a suggestion.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory's temper comes out in ways that she's often oblivious to.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: July 11, 2007, 12:17:49 am »

So, we are trying for at least 8 episodes, right?

We're trying for 8-to-13 episodes.  Due to precedents that have been set by other series (The Shield and The Sopranos in particular) a show can return after even a missed year when the quality remains high.

Now, I may have confused the issue a little by throwing into the ring the slogan "Eight For Eight" -- or Eight Episodes For Season Eight.  But that should more read as "Eight For Eight (minimum)" But we're definitely working toward an 8-to-13 episode season. 

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory and April are like twins born 9 years apart.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:21:06 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
go_clo

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:35 am »

Anything really, as long as it results in more GG. It would be nice if we could get a full 22 episode season but we are keeping our standards low and keeping hope for 13. 13 is more likely to happen then 22. If we end up getting 22, that would be amaaaazing but it's not very likely right now so it's better to keep hope for minimum so that if we only get minimum, we won't be disappointed. If we expect the maximum and only get the minimum, we would end up being slightly disappointed. Of course, right now, all GG fans would be happy with annnnything, even 1 more episode but you get what I mean. Wink

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: July 11, 2007, 02:38:50 am »

Frannie, please be nice to me Wink I obviously understand why the link to the petition keeps being repeated- newcomers need it- I was simply lamenting that demanding people sign the petition was the only thing being said in this thread... and obviously I am being quite patient, since I have been a part of this campaign since it first began. Smiley

"Prettystick" to you!   I just want to get to 10,000 signatures on the Petition so Rob can hand deliver the petition. Maybe we can start a discussion on how to get more people to sign the petition.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: July 11, 2007, 08:01:29 am »

Wow, things are getting a bit tense on this thread, huh?  Maybe the frustration of having to be patient?  I know it's getting to me.  Kudos to everyone for remaining civil though.  I've seen MB's get waaayyy out of control before, and it's new to me that people can handle differences in opinion without name calling and rude posts, even when hiding behind a computer screen. Shocked 

Now on to my reason for posting...Would it be feasible to have a post written up to explain our purpose and reasoning behind the chosen targets that could just be copied and pasted into a post for other MBs?  Maybe someone could use Rob's previous post and summarize it a bit more (sorry Rob, but even you've said that you're wordy).  It could then be posted on here, and anyone that wants to use could copy it into a Word document (or whatever program they use) in order to use it for other MBs.  It's something that I'd be willing to take on (I'm known for being "not wordy enough" but changes can always be made to what I come up with), however it may take me until tomorrow or so due to a crazy busy work schedule (new Realtor trying to break into a tough industry). 

If there is any interest for something of this sort, let me know.  I don't post often because of the previously stated reason, but I do try to read everyday and contribute in any way that I can.  Maybe this is something I can do....

Laura
lalaliz2005
« Reply #6758 on: July 11, 2007, 08:09:18 am »

My thanks to everyone who is working so hard on this! Just a reminder to some of the newer members: please no "star posting." Star posting is when you post several times in a row, trying to just add more numbers for yourself. You can always go back and modify. Or for instance, asking one question and then asking another similar question when the answer to both was given to the first question (does that make sense?). Yes, some people post back to back BUT it's longer posts with actual answers and questions (i.e. Rob answering one question in several paragraphs and then posting again to another question in paragraphs). That's acceptable.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Happy posting!
ChocolatGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: July 11, 2007, 08:27:45 am »

Hi, guys...
I know there's a lot going on, but are we still voting over at Teavee?  Just wondering since I don't want to be the only one over there if you guys don't care about voting anymore, lol.   If we DO still care about voting on that site, please come over!   http://teavee.com/gilmoregirls

{Daisy Duke. Java Junkie. Literati. Closet Case.}
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: July 11, 2007, 09:32:46 am »

Just an update on the petition: 4326 signatures on the petition. 

There are 31 countries represented.  If I left any countries out, please post and let me know.

Australia, Argentina, Guatemala, Brazil, Germany, Czech Republic, Mexico, Venezuela, Chile, Costa Rica, China, Portugal, Austria, Columbia, Spain, Israel, Slovakia, Denmark, France, Belgium, United Kingdom, Ireland, Poland, Canada, Italy, Norway, Malaysia, Hungary, Sweeden, Turkey, United States

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate/

ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:32 am »

Now on to my reason for posting...Would it be feasible to have a post written up to explain our purpose and reasoning behind the chosen targets that could just be copied and pasted into a post for other MBs?  Maybe someone could use Rob's previous post and summarize it a bit more (sorry Rob, but even you've said that you're wordy).  It could then be posted on here, and anyone that wants to use could copy it into a Word document (or whatever program they use) in order to use it for other MBs.  It's something that I'd be willing to take on (I'm known for being "not wordy enough" but changes can always be made to what I come up with), however it may take me until tomorrow or so due to a crazy busy work schedule (new Realtor trying to break into a tough industry). 

You're absolutely right.  Already working on it, almost finished and it won't be a Word document.  It'll be bigger.  Sorry for the stalling but you'll totally get it when we're done with it.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory working in a bookstore is like me when I worked in a comic book store:  in eternal debt to my boss.
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:36 am »

How many signatures now?

Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: July 11, 2007, 10:37:49 am »

Sorry for such a short post, but is the CafePress up and working yet? Or has it been stopped already. Undecided

And sorry I couldn't donate to LDDC, but I have been trying to spread the petition to everyone I know. Forcing family members to sign, begging friends. Wink You know how the drill goes. Tongue

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: July 11, 2007, 03:03:39 pm »

Just 2 questions.......
Why is it so important to vote at that "teavee" site......has anything ever happened as a result of that contest?

What is a "pretty-stick?"

Season 8:  Because we have never met Mr. Kim.  (at least I don't remember seeing him!)

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: