The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:47:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1762993 times)
go_clo
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: July 09, 2007, 10:48:50 pm »

Do you think we can save it?

I think we can! Smiley If not, at least we tried! Fans have saved shows before, heck 2 shows this year were saved by the fans! I think we definately can! Cheesy If we don't, well at least we tried right?! I would hate if we could have done something to save the show but gave up too fast and lost our chance! We gotta do everything possible!

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: July 09, 2007, 10:51:01 pm »

Yeah! We can at least get a movie!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
aussiebee
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:14 pm »

@ aussiebear -- Yes the petitions are, to some extent honor based.  They're based on existing email account names -- it's quite possible that there are some repeats.  (I mean you, Wonny.  Tongue   I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, don't sign again.  I will specifically white-out any and all lines that I think are hinky when I print it out.  Such as those that do a lot of counting.)  Petitions don't work in and of themselves, but they *do* support other projects that a given revival campaign might have in mind by providing a rough idea of the general scope of the interest.  We already know that in just these 4,000 signatures, we have 29 countries represented already and thus, in some ways, we've gotten the word out better to international sources than to national sources.  That's why we're doing the LDDC project, too, and other projects.

For instance, if you haven't written to anybody on The Contact Sheet in a while -- Lauren, Alexis, Dawn, etc., time to write again.  Send your letters by registered mail.  Lauren noted at the GoldDerby chat that she'd received input from a postcard project that some group had put together I think, before the cancellation had been announced.  So perhaps that could be done.

We're up a little to 150 or so signatures today.  That's great.  If we can do 200 tomorrow that'll be excellent.  Again, they've got to be *honest,* unique signatures and when you're spreading the word, please spread the word that they need to be honest, unique signatures with polite comments (no counting, noextendingasentenceoutlikethisforaslongasyoucanjustto extenditoutandmakeeverythinglonger, etc.)  But honestly, as the summer goes on and the news of the fall schedule spreads even more, I think more and more Gg fans that don't follow the news or don't go to the internet sites often will be catching onto the cancellation and that's why we've got to be there in August and September to be their place to go to.  On the off-chance that Lauren were to get nominated for an Emmy -- it'd help if Lauren were to be nominated for an Emmy, it would help a LOT, but we can't count on it  -- we could certainly capitalize on it for the campaign just by being here.  (I'd send out the next edition of the Press Release far sooner than I'm currently planning on doing so, for instance).  But I think we've still got time on our side in certain respects.

-- Rob

------------------------
Season 8:  Because Kyle's parents had Hummells just sittin' there, waiting for Jess and Dean to destroy them in a fight.

Rob, you are starting to confuse me with your longwinded replies.  All I was doing was mentioning that I noticed that people are signing the petition more than once and that my signatures had not appeared on the petition so I was going to give up worrying about signing the petition and do what Frannie had asked and promote the petition on some of the Aussie sites that I know of.  I didn't mean for it to go into a lengthy discussion on the validity of petitions etc.  That was not my point, nor could I care less.

Please don't get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate everything everyone in the US and internationally are doing to get the Gilmore Girls Season 8 or a proper series finale with all the loose ends tied up.  Even I am trying to do my little bit here in Australia, but I am noticing that some of the replies to some GG Great8Mandate innocents such as myself are a little condescending.  I believe we are working toward the same end aren't we, to have the best show on television given the proper send off, no matter what that send off may be.  Please give us Mandate innocents a little credit for intelligence and for the work we are also trying to do to help this great cause!

Aussiebee
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: July 09, 2007, 11:32:45 pm »

Everyone but me has been writing very long posts!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: July 10, 2007, 12:55:12 am »

Do you think we can save it?

Oh boy.  I just watched the entire Matrix trilogy and it's 2 o'clock in the morning,, so I'm feeling especially philosophical right now.

We can do it, but we can't do it alone.  The unique situation of how the negotiations for s8 collapsed are a relatively rare way for a show to get cancelled.  While other revivals have succeeded because they've been able to focus on changing a network head's mind, Gg's situation is far weirder (as befitting the very odd show that it is) and thus, it depends on our revival campaign persuading everyone to get everyone involved back to the negotiating table again.  That means, more than anything, I think, that we have to convince a) at least one of the actresses that the story didn't end so much as the last 100 pages were ripped out of the book at a chapter break (the other actress seems to realize this situation already) and b) convincing the network that no matter how much they might feel burned and their interest in the show diminished because of the way the negotiations collapsed, it's in their best interests to start talks to revive the show for an actual conclusion.

The politics of the stituation are a tricky thing to manage.  Lauren is currently deferring to Amy Sherman-Palladino's intentions, which, because Lauren is nevertheless still showing interest in the show by asking fans for reasons they want to see the show continue, I read as her simply being fed up with explaining how and/or why the show collapsed, since nobody's believing her quite valiant but doomed attempt to spin it anyway.  I can't imagine that the studio would have wanted to see the show end and thus end the potential revenue stream of any future seasons.  And it's just not as simple as taking sides with the show against the network, either -- there are no villains here.  It's about urging at least three very dynamic personalities back in the negotiating room to agree to come up with the finale that we believe the series actually deserves.  That, IMO, will take some finessing -- which is why the campaign is generally aimed at all three parties, The CW (as represented by Dawn Ostroff) and Lauren and Alexis.  It may even mean that we should concentrate on letter-writing campaigns even more. 

@ aussiebee (still feels like I should call you aussiebear, but I misread names sometimes) -- To clarify:  part of what I was responding to was your remark that it may be too little, too late to stop anyone from signing the petition mulitple times.  To some extent, it's an honor system and britni can cut any signature that she thinks is questionable and I certainly have no problem with taking a black marker to any questionable name if/when I print it out (and there are a few questionable ones that I'll cross out) .  IMO, then, it's not too late to keep requesting that people only sign for themselves and sign only once.  The credibility of the petition stays higher the more we tell people that we don't want multiple signatures by the same person.

THe other thing to keep in mind is that the longer I go on in a post, off on a tangent or whatever, the less I'm directly addressing you and the more i'm addressing the crowd.  Sometimes, I prefer to reiterate points that you didn't bring up because, well, it might be too early to post a new edition of the relevant FAQ (I'm currently rotating three of them).  It's sort of like if you and I are in a conversation and there's a group around us, I might break in mid-thought from talkign to you to addressing them.  Sometimes, it's an awkard switch in focus that doesn't work.  And this was one of those times, I think.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory told Emily about the termite infestation on Lor's porch.

Mak
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: July 10, 2007, 02:07:44 am »

Hey Aussiebee!

I totally get where you're coming from. I've been away on holiday for four weeks and when I got back to the 'civilized' world was very sorry to find little news on the G8M front. Still no website and loads of rather misty insider talk (still don't know what the 'Cafepress' stuff is about, not too clear on where the plastic daisy-campaign is heading either, and I'm sort of familiar with this thread, so what about people who are totally new to it?). Yes this thread moves at a fast pace, but I'm afraid that's largely due to Rob's (sorry, can't put it in another way) 'sermons' and continual repeats of the contact-addresses etc. (which belong on a special website!!!!!!!). A couple of weeks back already, I was a little annoyed by the way some people's creative input was hammered down, completely ignored or shushed with responses in the vein of 'great idea, but just stay put, x and I are working on something even greater'. But I thought somebody's got to take charge, and I'm glad Rob's willing to do it. Now when I see Shutuprob as the last post on the G8M thread I just sigh and don't feel like going there anymore. So sorry Rob (and I mean this!) but I have to be honest, I totally appreciate your commitment to this cause, and all the time and money and effort you're putting into it, but for me, it's getting too overwhelming (and just a little bit stale as well). I'm hooking off, but I'll continue making my own little contribution by writing and signing any petition or poll that comes along. Thanks to everybody who's working hard to make it happen!         
aussiebee
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: July 10, 2007, 02:39:43 am »

Hey Mak,
Thanks for your note - I thought perhaps I was missing something, like the English language, to get my point across. Cheesy  I agree with you regarding the fast pace of this thread and trying to keep up with what is actually happening and how it is happening is getting very daunting.  Perhaps when Heidi gets back online she may be able to do "announcement" or "progress" posts specifically about each G8M project - I have read a couple of hundred posts about prettysticks, daisies, posters and flyers and of course the letter writing campaign & petition.  Maybe Heidi can set up a topic for each project are out there and who we can talk to about pledging our help.  It's just a thought I had after I posted my reply to Rob.  I liked the daisy idea, but have no idea what is actually happening with regards to that as it is lost somewhere in amongst the 458+ pages of this topic.   

I too am very grateful to everyone who is working so hard on the G8M, and will continue my own little contribution in my part of the world. 

Aussiebee Smiley
Wonny
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: July 10, 2007, 03:17:53 am »

@ Rob I signed for my friends who are on vacation, so itīs possible that I repeat my opinion. If I have the chance to sign more than once, then I think I can write it again maybe it ticks when Lauren and Alexis read it. Itīs not that my friends (who are on vacation) are not fans they havenīt just the opportunity to sign. My family,class and other friends (and their familys) are fans, too (one maybe more than the other, but they all know the show and like it) and I told them to write that we want not just one more season and they agree. If we get just 8 or 13 episodes than the show can end after the 7th season, too. Yes thatīs hard I know, but If you see that every person writes "I want a real ending" or something like that than youīre going crazy! I called all my friends l I could reach and told them to write that they want more than on, two or three seasons. Iīm pretty sure that Lauren would return to Gilmore Girls if there is more than one season! She said that she donīt need a Gilmore Girls movie! So she donīt need an end, thatīs for sure. So why she should make a 8 or 13 episode season to end the show right? She wouldnīt come back then but if she gets a season 8 with the possebility for a ninth than I think she would return.I just hate the word "end" and I see that it writes every second person, so I told my friends to write that they want further seasons, so  whatīs your point? Donīt you see how much write "come back"? So I think itīs not a probem if there is some times standing, "give me a season 8 and 9 and 10" or "I want a season 8 and 9". We are all real fans and we just have another tactics to reach a Gilmore Girls comeback. Wink
Wonny
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: July 10, 2007, 03:27:17 am »

Oh and I forgot. I donīt know if everybody wrotes their full names. I will ask them today and tell the others, who havenīt signed yet, to do it. Smiley
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6744 on: July 10, 2007, 08:23:34 am »

Well, since it seems the time for opinions, allow me to chime in: I feel lost, and daunted as well....I haven't been coming to this thread as much as usual, as it has gotten so repetitive and now sort of disappointing... just demands for the petition (ok, I can only sign it once!) I was excited about the daisies, but they're not going anywhere it seems, and the Cafe Press project, where everyone in the world could buy and therefore advertise Great 8 Mandate products, was so hyped up and then totally stalled out, and although we have gotten apologies, now everyone's going on vacation... it's like you guys are my doctors!! Cheesy I'm not really mad, but this thread has gotten out control, and everyone agrees that just repeating the huge posts of FAQs and contact info is not that helpful , but it also seems that Rob is spread pretty thin and that, and he knows we need a separate website for those things and each project, I myself do not have the time to make such a site, but I know there are a lot of savvy people out in our fandom... sigh...

And for the record, I think "Eight for Eight" is great! And Rob will get all credt Wink
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:29:16 am by neverapuff » Logged

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: July 10, 2007, 10:10:28 am »

Wonny, I definitely appreciate your concerns regarding the signatures.  A couple of points:

1) I'm going to reiterate that I don't want any single person to sign more than once.  If you get as many people as you can to sign with their own email addresses, that's great!  But multiple signatures by the same person, that hurts the credibility of the petition and I don't think that anyone wants that.  Please spread the word that we only want unique signatures -- one signature per person/email address.

2) The reason that I singled you out (and maybe I could have handled that better) is because when you signed at number 0 on the petition, you did a long count of numbers for a wish-list of how many seasons you'd like the show to run in a way that allowed for no formatting -- I think you used commas but no spaces between each number, which meant that the 'bot read it as one long-run on sentence that extended the page out to the side immensely.  There's been another signature posted within the last couple hundred signatures that did the exact same thing.  Even if that one wasn't you, people do think it was you.   Hence some of the questions about multiple signatures that have popped up here.  We'll try to find a way to fix that.

-- Rob

----------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory brought Richard's record albums to the hospital.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:18:47 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: July 10, 2007, 11:57:41 am »

Aussiebee,

Thank you for putting the word out on the Aussie sites.  It is really appreciated.

Fran  Smiley
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: July 10, 2007, 12:15:35 pm »

Neverapuff,

Sorry about the Petition Link posts.  I post the link for the guests who may come to this site for the first time and haven't signed the petition.  One day when I came on to read the postings there were 55 guests reading this topic.  You don't know if they are members who haven't signed in or guests who are first time readers of the site and don't want to go thru all the pages of this thread.  That's why the link is posted so often.   Also we need members to help posting the link and to tell us where they posted so we don't duplicate the posting on a site.
Just be patient, things will get done.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: July 10, 2007, 01:09:04 pm »

Hey Mak,
Thanks for your note - I thought perhaps I was missing something, like the English language, to get my point across. Cheesy  I agree with you regarding the fast pace of this thread and trying to keep up with what is actually happening and how it is happening is getting very daunting.  Perhaps when Heidi gets back online she may be able to do "announcement" or "progress" posts specifically about each G8M project - I have read a couple of hundred posts about prettysticks, daisies, posters and flyers and of course the letter writing campaign & petition.  Maybe Heidi can set up a topic for each project are out there and who we can talk to about pledging our help.  It's just a thought I had after I posted my reply to Rob.  I liked the daisy idea, but have no idea what is actually happening with regards to that as it is lost somewhere in amongst the 458+ pages of this topic.   

We're working on your requests here.  I can't explain how yet because, well, yes, we're on page 450.

I too am very grateful to everyone who is working so hard on the G8M, and will continue my own little contribution in my part of the world. 

Aussiebee Smiley

Thanks.  For further info, read the PM I'm sending you very shortly.

-- Rob

-----------------------------
Season 8:  Because Paris created her own cave in the Yale Daily News office.
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6749 on: July 10, 2007, 09:06:15 pm »

Frannie, please be nice to me Wink I obviously understand why the link to the petition keeps being repeated- newcomers need it- I was simply lamenting that demanding people sign the petition was the only thing being said in this thread... and obviously I am being quite patient, since I have been a part of this campaign since it first began. Smiley

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: