The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:40:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1729506 times)
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: July 04, 2007, 09:08:33 am »

Just past 3,600 signatures on the Petition at around 12 noon EST.

If you haven't signed the petition the link is:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate/

Thanks!
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: July 04, 2007, 12:46:21 pm »

I'm posting this more to say, "Hey!  I'm still alive!" than anything else right now.  I'm trying to finalize the big project with divine and coordinate with Heather on the CafePress stuff (they're related).  So I'm not been so talky today. 

The Petition Project FAQ

1) The purpose of this FAQ is to provide information necessary to get as many people as possible to sign the Gilmore Girls Season 8 petition at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate and then to promote the petition as far and as wide as possible.

2)  "I Want to See More of our Gilmore Girls, but why Should I Sign This Petition?  Amy said she wants to do a 2-hour movie in a year or two, so why Should I Support the Campaign For Season 8?"

The answer is an easy one -- just because Amy says she's interested in doing a Gilmore Girls movie in a year or two doesn't mean that it's going to happen.  A GILMORE GIRLS MOVIE HAS NOT BEEN GREENLIT and therefore, promises of one mean nothing until contracts are signed and it begins filming.  Promises are NOT good enough.  We have to campaign and we have to campaign NOW, for as long as it takes for them to SIGN THE CONTRACTS and begin filming anything from a season 8 of 8-to-13 episodes, a 6-hour miniseries Event (a possible compromise I Just Thunk Up) or even that 2-hour movie that IMO wouldn't be enough onscreen time to tie up all the storylines that were left open (perhaps inadvertently) in the series season finale.

Sure, Lauren soliciting from the GoldDerby.com chat what the fans there would like to see in a 2-hour movie is an encouraging sign, but again, it's still not set in stone -- she's deferring to Amy saying that she's going to do a 2-hour movie "in a year or two."   Lauren may believe that Amy does mean to do a movie in a year or two -- maybe we all do, but once people take for granted that it's supposedly going to happen, it doesn't.  The naysayers also should be reminded that the Pretender movies were greenlit after the cancellation of the series but before the final episodes aired and the Stargate direct-to-DVD (D2DVD) movies were greenlit after the cancellation of SG-1 but *long* before the final episodes aired (one or two more episodes have yet to be aired and the D2DVD movies were announced 3-4 months ago) and the upcoming Babylon 5 D2DVD movie being released at the end of July is filming a *decade* after the series ended.  So NO ONE should take the promise of a movie for granted no matter how much you might trust the persons talking about it.  Movie revivals that are greenlit *after* the final episodes have aired -- the Farscape miniseries, the Serenity movie -- happen *because* of relentless continuing fan support for them, period.

3) So sign the petition already at:  http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

4) Circulate the petition and Mandate link through your email lists, ask your friends to sign the petition, Digg it (more below) and then forward it to other friends

5)  Post the link everywhere you can -- on other message boards having to do with Gilmore Girls, more general shows having to do with Television, MBs dealing with Women's Issues and Women's Rights, or any MB where you either know that there are a lot of Gg fans (even if it's not even remotely Gg or TV-related).  The further away you get from TV-related sites, the more you should please respect the given MBs' policies on Off-Topic Posts.  Some of them don't allow it, some of them DO allow it as long as you start the subject header with the abbreviation OT as in "OT: Please sign the “Save Gilmore Girls Petition."  Please only post such OT posts where you are sure they'll be welcome when it's a non-TV related MB.

6)  Add the petition link and a link to the most current page of this thread to your siggie on ALL message boards you belong to.  ESPECIALLY if it's not a Gg or TV-related MB.  Even if you haven't started an OT thread on that MB, including a link in your siggie may (and often does) get noticed by someone on the given MB who likes the show and *then* that invites thread drift that is better served by then creating an OT thread on that group.  IOW, including the links in your siggie is a great way to test the waters for how discussing the show in that group might or might not be encouraged.  Also, even if no discussion may break out, other posters may follow the link anyway.

7)  Encourage everyone who has signed or will sign the petition to Digg the site or otherwise recommend it to various social networking/news exchange websites -- the petition includes as a matter of automatic function links to over a dozen of these sites, including Digg.  Digg is easy to register for by clicking on the link at the petition, registering and verifying (which is almost instantaneous after filling out the form and clicking on their verification email) and then clicking on the Digg icon on the petition again, sending you to the Digg site, where you'll click "Digg" right underneath the big Digg rating number on the left.  Those of you who have already signed the petition and haven't Digged the petition, please do so.  Digging the petition will help to publicize the petition on Digg, which is among the biggest of these sites and please recommend to other people you know who have signed the petition to go back and Digg it.

Cool  There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) Do as much recruiting as you can to have as many people as you can sign the petition.  The only thing necessary is that the person(s) have their own email address, so you can have as many people in your family sign the petition as you possibly can as long as they have different email addresses.  I would *like* to have somewhere around 10,000 signatures by late July, while I'm on vacation to Southern California for Comic-Con.  I'm considering delivering the petition in person to at least the three most pertinent offices (Lauren and Alexis's management teams and Dawn Ostroff.)

10)  Get them to start posting here at the mandate after they've signed the petition.  They may be scared by the length of this thread -- but just tell them to dive right in because I rotate reposting of the various FAQs as reasonably often as I can in between bouts of eyestrain and migraines Wink .

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory has a five-volume set of the Complete Works of Dorothy Parker (I saw 'em on her dormroom desk at Yale when I took the tour in 2004).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:40:14 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: July 04, 2007, 05:34:44 pm »

I just wanted to defend myself and say that I joined these groups and only posted on the ones where people were saying that they were sad it was over and asking why and if there was some chance or hope. I didnt just plaster the petition link. I left a note saying there was hope and that this site exists as well as the petition. The only reason I got a warning is because there are over 500 Gilmore Girl facebook groups, and I guess if you post the same thing on too many it automatically thinks your spamming!

Great, Kali!  I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding there.  *prettystick* for you -- actually, I'll give you another one again in an hour.  One as an apology, one for spreading the word!

Thanks,
Rob

---------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory has anxiety attacks and Kirk has Night Terrors.  They seem like they were made for each other.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: July 05, 2007, 12:11:48 am »

Just a heads up:

Stage 1 of the Big Project should be ready in 12-14 hours, then stage 2 (the CafePress project) soon after that.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because if Stars Hollow can keep a secret from Rory, I can keep a secret, too.
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: July 05, 2007, 05:59:04 am »

I e-mailed Heidi asking her if there is a way to notify all members of this forum that there is a petition affliated with this site to get a season 8 from the CW.  I haven't heard anything back.

Did you hear from Heidi?
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6650 on: July 05, 2007, 06:39:34 am »

Completely off topic, but it's URGENT and since this is one of the most viewed threads please allow this. Wink

HI!!

I need a favour! I'm going to L.A in August from the 3rd to till the 14th or so. And I need a hostel to stay in. Any place which is near Hollywood area. Cheap if possible and 3 beds available. If anyone knows anyplace which is pretty good for what I'm asking please let me know!!

PM me!
Thanks!!!!

Leire Grin

gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: July 05, 2007, 09:22:57 am »

Maybe you'll see a cast member there!

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: July 05, 2007, 10:29:01 am »

Completely off topic, but it's URGENT and since this is one of the most viewed threads please allow this. Wink

HI!!

I need a favour! I'm going to L.A in August from the 3rd to till the 14th or so. And I need a hostel to stay in. Any place which is near Hollywood area. Cheap if possible and 3 beds available. If anyone knows anyplace which is pretty good for what I'm asking please let me know!!

PM me!
Thanks!!!!

Leire Grin

Check out Craigslist.  They may have something on there for you.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Good luck and have fun!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:36 am »

The Contact Sheet[/b][/size]
(formerly The Welcome FAQ)

The Contact Sheet is the project devoted to providing information on how you can contact the necessary parties from the network, studio and show by voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL:

@ Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people, maybe even more, since the CW is such a small network whose news doesn't get distributed as far and as wide as most networks' shows do.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail. 

@ The people who have the most potential to bring about a revival of the show -- the people we should contact -- are Lauren, Alexis, the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW, Warner Television's President, Peter Roth and Amy Sherman-Palladino herself.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced.  As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.   

2)  SNAIL MAIL AND E-MAIL

And now, I bet you're asking, "Now that I have these addresses, what should I do with them?"  So here are a few suggestions to help make you make your letters and email as effective as possible:

@ BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font or a 10-point Courier font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one or two pages.

@ BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space (like I do), then skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability. 

@ BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

@ BE POLITE (AGAIN):   DON'T mention salary issues or rumors about this or that person possibly being responsible for the end of the show because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

@ ADD PAPER DAISIES TO YOUR LETTER:   Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

@ If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you (and in fact, a list of additional addresses that I've gathered is in the process of being proofread for me.  (My brain is fried.)   Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.) 

@) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

@) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.   It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

@ Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

3) SEND VOICEMAIL

@ The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.   It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

@ If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

@ As with snail mail and email, BE BRIEF:  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

4) Write to this CW weblog at:  http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/2007/05/rumorville_a_gilmore_girls_tv.html  .

This page at The CW Source asks about how you feel about the news that Amy is interested in doing a 2-hour movie version of the show.  I managed to swing the conversation a little in one of my own posts to the blog page, asking everybody to not take wanting to see a season 8 as a given and instead say if they'd want to see a season 8 rather than *just* a movie.  If you haven't already posted to it, please post your thoughts there.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory is the unGraduate.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:53:33 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6654 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:03 pm »

Maybe you'll see a cast member there!

Haha the first time I went there, three years ago, didn't see anyone famous, but I'm staying longer this time so who knows!

HI!!

PM me!
Thanks!!!!

Leire Grin

Check out Craigslist. They may have something on there for you.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! I'll check it out now!

lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: July 05, 2007, 06:07:05 pm »

Is there anyone on here who has an account on The CW boards?  I was checking them out and found a thread with people who want another season.  If someone has an account an can post there about the G8M and the petition, we may get some more signatures.  I would sign up, but I already have too many boards that I belong to, and I feel a bit old for it....

Here's the link for the thread-
http://lounge.cwtv.com/showthread.php?t=128351

ETA-here's another-
http://lounge.cwtv.com/showthread.php?t=128392

And another-
http://lounge.cwtv.com/showthread.php?t=124429

Looks like maybe there are some fans on there that may be willing to sign.  I know that people have said before that the attitude towards an 8th season wasn't so great, but maybe the board is coming around.  If nobody else can do it in the next couple of days, I might cave and sign up...

Someone?  Anyone?

@Leire-No problem!  I noticed that they have swaps and such here in Houston, so even if you don't find anything on there maybe something will lead you in the right direction.  Have fun in LA!

-Laura
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:25:41 pm by lilag02 » Logged
karikrigsmann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: July 05, 2007, 06:37:05 pm »

Is there anyone on here who has an account on The CW boards?  I was checking them out and found a thread with people who want another season.  If someone has an account an can post there about the G8M and the petition, we may get some more signatures.

DONE!
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: July 05, 2007, 06:53:48 pm »

Fabulous!  I didn't think I could keep up with another message board, but there seems to be a renewed want for GG now that it's gone.

-Laura
gimoregirls1992ab
Town Troubadour

Oy with the poodles already!

View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:40 pm »

Hey, kind of off topic, but im goin to L.A. from the 14th to the 22nd (i guess im tag teaming with kukulenileni, lol), so if there is anything i can do for the mandate while im there, within the budget of a 14 year old, please, give me something to do! i want to help as much as i can, and since im actually staying within a couple streets of the set, i can probably do something....i just dont know what!

It's hard to wait around for something that you
know might never happen but its even
harder to give up especially when its
everything that you ever wanted....
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: July 05, 2007, 08:10:44 pm »

Hey, kind of off topic, but im goin to L.A. from the 14th to the 22nd (i guess im tag teaming with kukulenileni, lol), so if there is anything i can do for the mandate while im there, within the budget of a 14 year old, please, give me something to do! i want to help as much as i can, and since im actually staying within a couple streets of the set, i can probably do something....i just dont know what!

Have fun in LA, I'm so jealous of both of you! Wink  Something you might be able to do, if you have a couple of bucks and your parents will take you to the network office- awhile back someone mentioned buying small pots of daisies at Wal-Mart and delivering them directly to the network.  You could include a letter for Dawn with your reasons for wanting an 8th season.  You didn't say if you were going to, but if you will be taking the tour of the set you could wear something that promotes the G8M.  If you're not buying a shirt or button from the Cafe Press website, you could buy a plain white t-shirt (think Hanes or something else cheap) and some fabric paint and make your own.

Work is sucking me dry of the small amount of creative juices I've got, so that's all I can come up with.  I'm sure one or more of the amazingly talented people on this board will give you much better ideas. Smiley

-Laura
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: