The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:23:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1734606 times)
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6600 on: July 01, 2007, 02:04:45 pm »

I've tried MySpace many times.
It never really got any response.
I'll try again though.† Wink

Thanks Cathy! We need all the help we can get!
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6601 on: July 01, 2007, 02:58:09 pm »

Hello Mandaters! I was on vacation, I missed you all! I'm so sorry I did not get a chance to contribute to the LDDC (cry, cry)... did that go out? I could only read back a few pages before my eyes got blurry...!

About press packets... I don't know if anyone covered the New England area, but if someone could mail me some, I would be more than happy to mail them out to the Concord Monitor, the Nashua Telegraph, Union Leader, etc.. (Have Boston papers been covered?)

And it seems that Cafe Press stuff is not available? can't wait for that!

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: July 01, 2007, 03:25:22 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/arts/television/01wyat.html

Here's an article in the NY Times about the show SP will allegedly be on.  Says it will film in Vancouver.

Arieanna at gilmoregirlsnews.com has confirmed that Patterson has been cast in the show.

From Arieanna's article at
http://www.gilmoregirlsnews.com/2007/06/29/scott-patterson-vs-dawn-ostroff/ :

UPDATES: I have a bunch of updates about the Scott Patterson situation, but Iíll keep them brief:

* On June 29, Scott Patterson accepted a position on Aliens in America as the father, Gary Tolchuk
    * CW and SPís people cleared all misunderstandings, as they were, last week and were able to come to negotiations on this matter
    * Lots of things were decontextualized and misunderstood on both sides, but things are now totally fine
    * The CW has nothing but respect for Scott Patterson and did not mean for anything to be misrepresented as otherwise
    * Scott Patterson was more than happy to audition, once he cleared things up, in order to give the creative team his take on the character
    * Scott Patterson picked Aliens in America as the new CW show he wanted to be a part of (with his contract, he was guaranteed one). He is very much looking forward to working with this creative team. He thinks the show is exciting and has a lot of potential.
    * Scott Patterson was never angry nor upset at the CW, although there were misunderstandings

I posted the following reaction to the comments for the article at ggn:

I'm gonna put my stage manager cap on right now -- when you've been a lead on a TV series already as Scott has, it's an insult to have to audition for another series.  It's not unheard of, but it's still considered an insult.  Particularly if it's for a show that's going to air on the same network as your previous show -- for instance, it would be far less of an insult if SP were having to audition for a show on CBS or NBC, which would be an upward move, but auditioning for a starring role on a CW show or a basic cable show would be a lateral move.  For a lateral move like a CW show to a CW (or basic cable show), you build the show around someone like Patterson, not the other way around *because* Patterson has paid his dues and because Patterson has done so much work on Gg that if you don't already know what he can do, you shouldn't be in showbiz at all, much less asking him to audition for a lateral-move show.

Arieanna's update on the situation is interesting, wherever she got the news from, and I'm assuming that the news comes from an inside source at the CW, the show's production team at Paramount-Warner, or even Patterson's camp.  The details of the update, even if they're only a distillation of a larger press release or news report, are quite hilarious in the way that they try in a zillion ways to say that "stuff happened but everything's hunky dory now."  Problem is that they did confirm large parts of what was already reported:  Patterson still had to audition, misunderstandings *did* happen, feelings *were* hurt.  Interestingly, the update makes it sound to me like the audition that Patterson *did* have after all ended up being more of a "meet and greet" more than anything else -- which is a substantially different type of meeting than an audition.

So what we have is a list of updated newspoints that essentially confirm everything in Arieanna's original version of the post, that pretty much everything happened the way it was described with the caveat that one or more people in the middle of it didn't know what they were doing and made some hugely amateur mistakes.  Purely speculatively, what might have been intended to be a meet-and-greet all along might have been initially described to Patterson as an audition, which would be a major protocol breach. 

Then there's the mandatory ego-stroking of: 

"Scott Patterson picked Aliens in America as the new CW show he wanted to be a part of (with his contract, he was guarranteed one). He is very much looking forward to working with this creative team. He thinks the show is exciting and has a lot of potential."

Which means that he's taking it just to get out from under the holding contract as soon as possible, likely *because* he thinks it'll get cancelled quickly (I'm speculating here).  The show has had a troubled development history over the past two years (more below) and, moreover, the show is clearly doomed because the mere fact that Patterson is replacing one of the lead actors means, with the (high) quality of Patterson's acting being entirely beside the point, the show has been in creative disarray all along.

The last point brings even more obvious speculation, turning the whole thing into a non-denial denial -- or, in other words, everything reported initially is true, no matter how much they try to put the genie back in the bottle.

The point reads, "Scott Patterson was never angry nor upset at the CW, although there were misunderstandings."

IMO, that's pure B.S.  The line translates to Scott saying, "Okay, you can say I was never angry in the first place as long as you don't tick me off again."

And I'm totally disregarding the bit that Patterson was not angry or upset at The CW -- that's boilerplate language like the apology that Jack Rudolph was trying to strongarm out of Simon to deliver to the press throughout the last four episodes of Studio 60.   An empty attempt at damage control.

Now, that last little bit about Aliens In America's doomed history:  go to the link above and take a look at that article in today's NY Times about the show (written before Patterson signed on, with a cast photo that, of course, doesn't include him).

I'll distill the article into severel points and give my take on them:

1) It's about a Pakistani Muslim exchange student moving in with a Typical American Family to go to school.  Interesting premise.  Do-able, but . . .

2) The pilot has already sat on the shelf for a year.  Hardly a vote of confidence.

3)  The show was originally pitched to NBC, which passed.  Given NBC's horrible recent track record with launching comedies, this would be a point in the show's favor except that . . .

4)  The show has been created by two long-term staffers of Mad About You, whose last three seasons, to put it mildly, were awful and THEN . . .

5) . . . they were the showrunners on the last three seasons of Just Shoot Me, which were just about the worst three seasons of a sitcom ever since Richie Cunningham left Happy Days.

6)  NBC gave the creators of the show permission to shop it around to other networks after it passed, but remained the producing studio.  It's a rare show of confidence that the network allowed the creators to shop the show around and it landed at The CW, where Ostroff became a fan of it.

7) The CW wanted to pick it up for only 8 episodes which -- as those like me who have been watching Hidden Palms have found out -- makes the pickup far less of a vote of confidence that it looks like at first glance.  What it means is that the CW was intending only to speculate on the show, air it just to see what would happen.  But . . .

Cool The only way that NBC would agree to let the CW pick the show up was going to be for 13 episodes, which requires a reduced budget and the move to film it in Vancouver (which indicates that it's not a (three-camera) sitcom, it's a (one-camera) half-hour comedy.  So there's already heated negotiations about budget and location.  But there's even more . . .

9) THEN NBC walked away from the show, which became a co-production of Paramount and Warner, or, in other words, an in-house production of The CW.  And still, there's more:

10) At least some of the actors from the original pilot balked at moving to the colder climate of Vancouver to film the show.

11) Due to the racial and political situations in the pilot, it's already had and is getting more bad buzz. 

12) Add to that the inner turmoil of getting it greenlit in the first place and NOW the inner turmoil of getting Scott Patterson signed onto the show and, well, it's a canellation just waiting for the first three weeks of the season to happen.

13) The booby prize:  The show is going to air on Monday nights at 8:30pm, after EHC, within a bloc of urban comedies.  Which show is not like the others?  Which show is airing against Prison Break (Patterson fans also tend to be Wenty/Purcell fans) and IIRC, Old Christine?  Yep, Aliens In America.

So, IMO, what does this mean for the Mandate?  Absolutely Nothing!

They may film the entire 13-episode order, but if it gets past episode 6 or 7 before getting cancelled, it'll mean that the showrunners made substantial changes that IMO they aren't capable of making.  Moreover, since we're pushing for Gg as a midseason replacement, miniseries Event or movie, the show will be cancelled long before Patterson needs to be signed back onto any Gg revival.

-- Rob

----------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory subtly admitted to a certain amount of psychotic-ness by going to a masquerade party dressed up as Go-Go from Kill Bill.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:14:31 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6603 on: July 01, 2007, 04:01:58 pm »

Hello Mandaters! I was on vacation, I missed you all! I'm so sorry I did not get a chance to contribute to the LDDC (cry, cry)... did that go out? I could only read back a few pages before my eyes got blurry...!

About press packets... I don't know if anyone covered the New England area, but if someone could mail me some, I would be more than happy to mail them out to the Concord Monitor, the Nashua Telegraph, Union Leader, etc.. (Have Boston papers been covered?)

And it seems that Cafe Press stuff is not available? can't wait for that!

Hi and welcome back! I hope you had a nice vacation.
Luckily, you can still donate money for the LDDC as the deadline has been changed to July 15th.

I don't know which papers have been covered, but I think Heather listed all the papers some pages back (I'll try to find her post for you). It would be great if you could also mail out some press packets!

As promised, here is Heather's post:

2.) The Press Release Project

Here are the papers I've sent to, by state.† I am willing to send more -- I have extra stamps from the last book I had to buy. But there are only so many resourced on the internet -- some small hometown papers are unclear on their websites.† If you notice I'm missing a newspaper or magazine, please PM me the name of it and the address and I will send them a press packet ...

Arizona
The Arizonal Republic

California
LA Times
San Francisco Chronicle
Orange County Register

Colorado
Denver Post

Connecticut
Hartford Courant

Washington, D.C.
Washington Post
Washington Times

Florida
Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
Florida Times-Union
Miami Herald
Orlando Sentinel
Tampa Tribune
Palm Beach Post

Illinois
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Tribune

Indiana
Indianapolis Star

Kentucky
Louisville Courier-Journal

Louisiana
New Orleans Times-Picayune

Maryland
Baltimore Sun

Massachusetts
Boston Herald
Boston Globe

Michigan
Detroit News
Detroit Free Press
Grand Rapids Press
Lansing State Journal
Livonia Observer
Farmington Observer

Minnesota
Minneapolis-St. Paul Pioneer Press
Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune

Kansas
Kansas City Star

Missouri
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Nevada
Las Vegas Sun

New York
New York Post
New York Times
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

North Carolina
Charlotte Observer
Raleigh News & Observer

Ohio
Cincinnati Post
Cleveland Plain Dealer
Columbus Dispatch

Oklahoma
Oklahoman

Oregon
Oregonian

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Inquirer
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rhode Island
Providence Journal-Bulletin

Tennessee
Tennessean

Texas
Dalls Morning News
Ft. Worth Star Telegram
Houston Chronicle

Utah
Salt Lake Tribune

Virginia
Richmond Times-Dispatch

Washington
Seattle Times

Wisconsin
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

College Papers & Other National Papers
Yale Daily News
USA Today

Magazines
Entertainment Weekly
Seventeen
Teen Magazine
CosmoGIRL!

Yeah, the Cafe Press campaign is still on hold, but I think (and hope) it will be up again sometime this week. I can't wait too, to buy something from there - it will be hard to decide though Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:08:11 pm by divine » Logged

yelnatslp
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: July 01, 2007, 06:05:38 pm »

umm, this is probably a dumb question, but what is a press packet?
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: July 01, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

Does anyone know where Heather is?
I want to send her money by check, but she hasn't answered my PM.

love is blind so you didn't see me.
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: July 01, 2007, 06:56:54 pm »

SP in a new show? I'm hoping it gets canceled fast. I can't think of him as Gary! ITS LUKE! Coffee

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
Sf49rminer
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: July 01, 2007, 07:41:56 pm »

umm, this is probably a dumb question, but what is a press packet?

a press packet is also known as a press kit.  It is traditionally a press release with extra supporting material for a story put together in a folder.  Extra supporting material can include statistics, biographies, pictures, movie clips, history on company etc...
neverapuff
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6608 on: July 01, 2007, 08:38:32 pm »

Prettysticks all around for all the information!! I'm glad to hear that I can still contribute! Hopefully we will hear from Heather soon, and I will certainly 'paypal' her some $$... I'm so relaxed back from Myrtle Beach- I love that place!!

And, that show with SP sounds interesting, but we need him back for our mid season replacement plan! Cheesy

ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: July 01, 2007, 09:08:18 pm »

Does anyone know where Heather is?
I want to send her money by check, but she hasn't answered my PM.

Heather was slammed all last week by finals *and* is on a family 4th of July vacation until the 10th.  Her net access may be limited (mine was insanely limited last week with my family reuntion as well).  I've just emailed Heather, but you can also email her at [email protected] .

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory staged a palace coup on Paris at the Yale Daily News, however passive-aggressively.
tsmurphygirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: July 01, 2007, 10:00:18 pm »

Add me to the list of one who laughed at this new horrible CW show AAIA.† But, sadly, I'll watch it because Patterson will be in it.† I hate to admit that I'll weather it out, but I'll take anything I can get with my favorite actors/actresses in right now.† I even Netflixed "Because I Said So" for the few shots of Lauren.† *sigh*† As is, I only watch CW for the GG reruns right now.† My husband laughed at me tonight when I admitted I bought a "Lukes" mug from the GG Shop, but I am going to proudly forever drink my hot chocolate out of it, and maybe slip some shnapps in...we'll see who's laughing then....oh, yeah, mostly likely me again.† *HA*† I'm going to have to really load it up in order to sit through AAIA!!!!!!†

Mandate On!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:01:21 pm by tsmurphygirl » Logged
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: July 01, 2007, 10:54:21 pm »

Add me to the list of one who laughed at this new horrible CW show AAIA.  But, sadly, I'll watch it because Patterson will be in it.  I hate to admit that I'll weather it out, but I'll take anything I can get with my favorite actors/actresses in right now.  I even Netflixed "Because I Said So" for the few shots of Lauren.  *sigh*  As is, I only watch CW for the GG reruns right now.  My husband laughed at me tonight when I admitted I bought a "Lukes" mug from the GG Shop, but I am going to proudly forever drink my hot chocolate out of it, and maybe slip some shnapps in...we'll see who's laughing then....oh, yeah, mostly likely me again.  *HA*  I'm going to have to really load it up in order to sit through AAIA!!!!!! 

Mandate On!!
What show will scott be on? What is the full name of the show?

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: July 02, 2007, 04:33:54 am »

LDDC & CAFEPRESS UPDATE

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bearing with me while I had finals last week. I just wanted to let you know at this point, we have raised just a little over $300 for the LDDC campaign.  I have received many PayPal donations and one money order thus far, though I know I've given my address to five or six others, so I'm assuming there are more money orders to come. Remember I'll be taking donations until 7/15, when I get back from my vacation.  (I leave on Saturday night.)

Also, the new CafePress stuff will be up this week -- I'm so sorry for the delay, finals just took more time than I thought would be necessary. Smiley

So you're all aware, $300 will get us about 10,000 daisies, to begin with.  So we really need to quadruple what we have. Smiley

--Heather

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6613 on: July 02, 2007, 04:41:06 am »

@gilmorefriend:  The name of the show that Scott will be in is 'Aliens in America'  .. someone posted a little article here if you wanna read it http://www.gilmoregirls.org/forum/index.php?topic=8211.0

@Heather:  I am impressed. $ 300 is amazing! Sure it would be cool to send like 20,000 to each person .. but we still have some time to collect money Wink  .. but I was really stunned to read the amount that was already raised.
Can't wait to see the new Cafepress-stuff and order something Smiley

neverapuff
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6614 on: July 02, 2007, 06:06:36 am »

Heather, great to hear from you! I think $300 for the little daises is great too... and two more weeks of collecting money will be great for the cause...c'mon people... even just $5 will be your way to help the Mandate! With this extension, I'll be able to send you enough for 1,000 now.  Grin And I'm definitely buying a CafePress Tote and Mug... Yay!!

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: