The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:44:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1765846 times)
Sf49rminer
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6540 on: June 27, 2007, 04:06:41 pm »

i realllllllllllllllllllly think we are spreading ourselves to thin between Lauren, Alexis, AS-P, Dawn, etc....  Lauren and Alexis probably wont ever see LDDC as it will be sent to their management not to them personally.  If we are going to paralell the Nuts campaign, we need to dump an insane amount of daisies on CWs doorsteps.  Don't spread it around, it looses the impact.
gimoregirls1992ab
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

Oy with the poodles already!

View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: June 27, 2007, 04:21:16 pm »

i realllllllllllllllllllly think we are spreading ourselves to thin between Lauren, Alexis, AS-P, Dawn, etc....  Lauren and Alexis probably wont ever see LDDC as it will be sent to their management not to them personally.  If we are going to paralell the Nuts campaign, we need to dump an insane amount of daisies on CWs doorsteps.  Don't spread it around, it looses the impact.

as much as i kind of understand where your goin, and kind of agree, i dont think gets the point to them as much as if we send it to them individually.

It's hard to wait around for something that you
know might never happen but its even
harder to give up especially when its
everything that you ever wanted....
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: June 27, 2007, 04:47:34 pm »

I agree with you guys. We should send all the daisies to the CW.
It would have a greater impact, just incase we don't get as much as we expected.

love is blind so you didn't see me.
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: June 27, 2007, 05:05:33 pm »

I understand that it's important to target Lauren and, especially, Alexis, but neither of them will be able to do a movie if AS-P doesn't first write it. Lauren herself specifically said to ask Amy for/about the movie. That's really where her concern about it ends. We already know what her (LGs) stance is. That being she might be interested if AS-P would write it. Just because AS-P said she'd like to do a movie doesn't mean that the idea won't float right out of her head while being so busy with Jezebel James or any other project she might be interested in doing. She is a very talented woman and I'm sure will be busy for several years to come. Not only that, AS-P is very good at saying things, but not necessarily following through. Therefore, it's just as important to keep Amy aware of the ongoing efforts by the fans and their desire for the project to come about so that she won't lose interest. She needs to know the fanbase is still there and that it's worth her effort and time to create a new story.  Lauren is not interested enough in doing a movie to ask AS-P to consider or write a script.  She is happy with the show ending. She doesn't need a movie to feel okay with how the show finished. So bombarding her with the expectations that she'd talk AS-P into doing a movie is silly. The important thing is for Amy first to write a script that in the end moves LG and AB enough to want to film it.

The project needs to first be created before it can go anywhere else. The only person in control of that first step is AS-P.

You're working under a few misnomers that IMO need to be corrected.

1)  Amy is not in control of the first step, the CW and Warner Studios are.  I can say with 100% confidence that there is no possibility of Amy writing a script without a contract in hand.  As a union member, she's not going to write on spec -- that's simply the way it works in Hollywood.  The "Spec" in the term "spec script" is that you're speculating (betting) on your time) as a matter of practice.  No established writer works on spec -- writes a spec script for themselves just to write it and speculate that it'll get bought.  Especially when she's showrunning another TV series and has, like, no time to write/direct anything else until the end of the season on that show.  She might *pitch* her idea for a reunion movie to Warner and/or The CW, but she's still not going to put a word down on paper until she gets a contract that satisfies her.  So the first move is NOT Amy's, it's the Suits'.  They are the ONLY ones that can greenlight ANYTHING.  (Unless you fund your movie by maxing out a dozen credit cards and selling your comic book collection and even then, the only thing you can get out of it is Clerks.  BID.)

2)  Lauren is NOT happy with the way the show ended.  Neither the spin of "It was time" nor "the show was telling us to end" confirm anything about how Lauren feels about the ending of the show.  In fact, she's stated that she feels very conflicted about the way the show ended, from how badly the cancellation announcement was ended -- "We didn't say goodbye properly" (to the cast & crew) to "I wanted to make the most amazing [final] episode ever and that was too much pressure for it to bear."  These are direct contradictions to her own surface spin.  ANd they're happening more and more often as time passes.

3)  Lauren is talking to ASP and is very interested in finding out what those fabled Final Four Words are supposed to be.  Yes, we know what Lauren's position is -- she *is* interested in doing the movie, contrary to your interpretation.  She even solicited from the audience at her chat at GoldDerby.com what they'd like to see in a movie and why.  In my letter, I'm going further in explaining why I think it needs more than just a 2-hour movie to finish off (in short: the number of storylines left dangling demand even more storytime to resolve, or, as Edward Herrmann noted, each storyline needs its own episode to resolve.  With those facts in hand, it makes more sense to campaign to Lauren for *more* than just a 2-hour movie.  A four-hour miniseries?  A six-hour mini-season ala Extras or the original version of The Office?  The 8-to-13-episode shortened season that the network and actors were trying to negotiate in the first place?  In any case, I think that the only way to even get the 2-hour movie is to campaign in the context of what we want the most, what we have the most passion for, which is a real final season.  IMO, Lauren, with an interest in producing and more time on her hands now as a non-lead movie actress (rather than the overworked TV actress that she was until May 2nd) has more of an ability to take the lead on producing a Gg revival of any sort.  Doesn't mean that she still doesn't defer to Amy on what the story would be, it's just urging Lauren to take the lead in *convincing the Suits* (the studio and/or the network) to invite Amy to pitch it or, absent Amy, to make the pitch herself and then assemble the rest of the production/design team herself.

Yes, in certain ways, we're getting into chicken-or-the-egg territiory here, but I think that the most important thing to remember is that show/movie negotiations aren't compared to foreplay for nothing. It's the network and studio that have to be seduced.  So everything that happens *before* a greenlight is the guy (Amy, Lauren) trying to convince the gal (the studio, the network) to have mad passionate sex to make a baby.

To extend the analogy, who do we have to seduce?  We don't have to seduce Amy -- she's on board.  We have to seduce Lauren to at least some extent because her emotions are conflicted -- more toward asking her to cultivate the project while Amy is busy with her own show, but always keeping in mind that Lauren nevertheless defers to Amy in terms of the creative content of such a project.  We *definitely* have to seduce The CW, Alexis and the studio (far more the former two than the latter one, IMO).  And that's the circle of TV Geek Life.  (cue parody of underrated Elton John song).

4)  Moreover, let's say that even though we know that Amy is interested in doing a movie revival but her interest wanes -- do we know for sure that Lauren wouldn't want to do a continuation without Amy?  That's open to *much* debate, IMO.  We've already seen Lauren do a season of the show without Amy and we've seen that despite how badly the season finale turned out in the context of beng the series finale that it never can be, Lauren's own influence on the show once she became a producer became more and more palpable over the last eight episodes of the season, marking a dramatic improvement to the the scripts of the show (no matter how much I personally enjoyed the first half of the season and think that the Lor-Chris marriage *had* to unfold the way that it did.)  Lauren's already declared that she enjoyed the writing of Jenny Snyder (scripter of "Farewell, My Pet," Lauren's Emmy submission tape).

So, say, Lauren is able to get the Fabled Four Words out of Amy, who decides that she has no time to do any sort of revival, but Lauren finds an opportunity to steal Jenny Snyder away from her new gig at Men In Trees.  Should  we really NOT try to get any sort of a real ending to the series just because Amy wouldn't script or direct it?  I mean, Amy didn't write or direct a third or more of the episodes in the six seasons that she was running the show in the first place (she actually wrote very few episodes in season 1, btw.)  Amy stated that she wanted the show to go on for however long it could without her even if she'd do things differently herself, so reassigning a possessory credit back to Amy is, IMO, absurd.  Yes, she should have first crack at a revival if she wants it, but it's not now her first priority and it's not going to be in anything remotely resembling the timetable we're working on (a year or less versus Amy's vague 1 or 2 years in the future, which could end up being 3 or 4 or more years in the future.)  Meanwhile, Lauren has more time on her hands.  We know that she's likely going to be talking story ideas with Amy because she's going to try to get the Fabled Four Words out of Amy and *that* requires understanding the context of the FFW.

In that context, there are MANY advantages to campaigning Lauren for a Gg revival over campaigning Amy for a Gg revival:

1) It's efficient -- if we tell Lauren what we want, then we know that Amy will know what we want because Lauren will tell her.

2) It's time-effective -- Amy is busy with her show, Lauren has more time on her hands.  Our efforts are IMO more likely to be acknowledged by Lauren than by Amy -- especially since, in terms of at the very least quantity, they already have.

3) It gives Lauren motivation -- if Amy is *too* busy with her show, then Lauren *could* be persuaded to either save Amy the time and handle the initial producer-type phone tag herself to get the studio/network to listen to a pitch as soon as possible.  Or Lauren could get the go-ahead from Amy to do a revival herself and thus make the participation of Amy a moot point.

4) It recognizes that Amy's participation in her own show makes her further from the center of a Gg revival than Lauren could ever be.  In certain ways, partly *because* Amy left the show, it's more Lauren's (and Alexis's) show than Amy's show and no matter how much Lauren might want to defer to Amy creatively, it's now not going to change that the show is more Lauren's than it is Amy's.

So IMO, while Amy is/can be *a* target of the campaign, she can hardly be the *primary* target.  There are simply too many disadvantages to campaigning toward Amy the more and more ambitious the given project is.  Send her a letter?  Sure.  Send her real daisies?  Sure.  Send her a copy of the petition?  Sure.  Send her a portion of the Little (faux) Daisies?  Nope.  Not yet.  Not until/unless the quantities of Little Daisies get to be so big that there are more than enough to target the three more primary targets (Lauren, Alexis, The CW) *and* a fourth person.

That said, now that I've had my post delayed a minute for the three replies, I'm starting to get convinced that sf49rminer may hit it on the head.  Perhaps we should aim the Little Daisy Duke Campaign toward the CW and the CW *only.*  Let's all listen to the consensus over the next bunch of posts and see what happens.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory stole a box of baking soda by accident.
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: June 27, 2007, 05:28:41 pm »

Thanks Rob, for clearing all of that up.  I'm sure that you're starting to feel a bit like a broken record on this thread. Wink  I agree with making a statement by targeting just the CW with the LDDC, that seemed to be the direction all of this headed in at first, but then for some reason it was decided to aim it at the CW, Lauren, and Alexis.  Since I'm pretty new to the campaign, I can't say anything for sure, but if the network is who finally walked away from the table during negotiations, then that is where everything broke down.  So, of course, that should be the primary target, and of course if it makes a HUGE statement then the actresses AND AS-P will hear of it regardless.  Also when we send anything to the actresses through their management companies, it's probably all filtered before it gets to them, so they may never see the daisies anyway.  The more I think about it, the more I think that we should focus all of our efforts in the LDDC towards the network and make as big a statement as possible.  JMO.

Ok, I'm only asking one more time because I'm really paranoid about reopening a PayPal account, did the deadline get extended?   Huh

Laura
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: June 27, 2007, 05:42:18 pm »

i realllllllllllllllllllly think we are spreading ourselves to thin between Lauren, Alexis, AS-P, Dawn, etc.... Lauren and Alexis probably wont ever see LDDC as it will be sent to their management not to them personally. If we are going to paralell the Nuts campaign, we need to dump an insane amount of daisies on CWs doorsteps. Don't spread it around, it looses the impact.

It is true that we should try to make as big of an impact as possible, but we really need to look at the facts here. First of all the cancelation of Jericho and the cancelation of Gilmore Girls can not be compared. Jericho ended because the networks decied to end it, Gilmore Girls ended because the the network and the actresses had a contract dispute. Sending just The CW the daises would not have that big of impact on the actresses and thats important. After all the overall goal of the whole mandate is to get all three, the CW, Lauen and Alexis back to the negociatiog table. And as for the daises maybe not reaching them, I can't be sure but I would have to guess they would, especially if theres alot of them. I've heard Lauren in countless interviews talk about the great letters she reads from fans, and i'm willing to bet a great deal of the letters were sent to her manager.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: June 27, 2007, 05:53:26 pm »

i realllllllllllllllllllly think we are spreading ourselves to thin between Lauren, Alexis, AS-P, Dawn, etc.... Lauren and Alexis probably wont ever see LDDC as it will be sent to their management not to them personally. If we are going to paralell the Nuts campaign, we need to dump an insane amount of daisies on CWs doorsteps. Don't spread it around, it looses the impact.

It is true that we should try to make as big of an impact as possible, but we really need to look at the facts here. First of all the cancelation of Jericho and the cancelation of Gilmore Girls can not be compared. Jericho ended because the networks decied to end it, Gilmore Girls ended because the the network and the actresses had a contract dispute. Sending just The CW the daises would not have that big of impact on the actresses and thats important. After all the overall goal of the whole mandate is to get all three, the CW, Lauen and Alexis back to the negociatiog table. And as for the daises maybe not reaching them, I can't be sure but I would have to guess they would, especially if theres alot of them. I've heard Lauren in countless interviews talk about the great letters she reads from fans, and i'm willing to bet a great deal of the letters were sent to her manager.

But we want the same result. And both shows had the networks not wanting them.
The actors are just different.

love is blind so you didn't see me.
Sf49rminer
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:37 pm »

Some random marketing/PR thoughts in between working on my PR plans for work.  Keep in mind I'm typing off my head with out much substance in my brain:)
The LDDC This will take more work, and doesn't include GG fans worldwide, but here me out.  What if we did a 50 box delievery to represent each state and their fans.  we could make the boxes realitive in size to the state... Texas gets a huge box, Delware, fairly small.  When your decorating the boxes with great8mandate stuff write what state it represents on the outside of the box. You need to touch people 7 times before whatever message you want them to remember sticks.  If you really want to screw with CW deliever them 5 a week for 10 weeks.  It carries out the campaign a little while and may build some momentum to get more daisies.

Press Packets  Just because GG ended, doesn't necessarily make it newsworthy (especially with how long ago it was in the scheme of the news cycle.  If the packets don't have one or more of the follow factors: time, prominence/celebrity, relevance, oddity, proximity, concequence or human intrest no reporter is going to pick up the story.  Lets look at sending targeted pitches to reporters who have a higher probility of covering it.  Look at television entertainment reporters in the LA, NY.  Look at pitching Lauren or Alexis's hometown papers, etc... Also, consider when writing the packets, what your call to action is.  What do you want a reporter to do with the information you are sending them?   Consider emailing instead of postal mail.  I gaurentee no one in the newsroom will ever see a press packet that is mailed.   Other factors to get a reporter to pick up the phone and call you is having sources.  What can you do to help the reporter uncover any of the newsworthy factors?  Are there any other sources or research you can supply to help the repoter develop a story?
divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6548 on: June 27, 2007, 06:20:42 pm »

Ok, I'm only asking one more time because I'm really paranoid about reopening a PayPal account, did the deadline get extended?   Huh

Laura

Hey Laura - I can definitely assure you, that the deadline has been extended to July 15th 3pm  .. I think it is a great solution since it will give everyone more time to send money (btw, I just received my salaray - finally - so Heather you'll receive my money for the daisies tomorrow).

About the daisies thing - otoh you're right ... Alexis & Lauren will probably never even get to see the daisies, but we aren't 100% sure if they received all our letters, pictures etc. either, right? And still, I am sure that they'd hear it from the management if something big like a box (or more) full of daisies would be sent to their offices. Sure it would be cool to practically flood The CW with daisies - think of the impact it will have, but from what we've heard - both parties were somehow at fault that the show didn't get renewed so I think we should also make those two parties our main targets.

@sf49rminer ... I love your idea about the 50 boxes .. otoh, living outside US myself, I think it's really important to show that Gilmore girls has a *huge* fanbase all over the world (I think that's what the keep forgetting sometimes, esp. rating-wise). So IMHO worldwide fans should also somehow get involved in this campaign.

Sf49rminer
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: June 27, 2007, 06:33:12 pm »

My international flavor isn't fully with me, but what about decorating a box with a bunch of different flags --- maybe send it first to sent the tone of GG having a world wide reach and then localizing it down to smallest state in the US?  If we can agree on a phase or something relating to Gilmore Girls, we can write a letter in the first box discussing how much we want GG resolved.  To sign off, we can use that phrase and translate it in many languages to represent our friends abroad? 
lilag02
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: June 27, 2007, 06:40:15 pm »

I like the idea of a constant stream of daisies bombarding the CW.  The only problems would be...shipping costs, they'll be quite a bit higher than only the three (or maybe one) would be.  Also, how do you represent the international fans?  Would we just do one box and list all of the countries?  I like the idea of it...a lot...just not sure how feasible it is.  

ETA- I like where you're going with the phrase and translating it...

As far as e-mailing the press packets that's great since it saves on the postage, and eliminates the chances of it getting lost.  Not to mention, I've been looking for papers that were left out of the first round of mailings, and it's been difficult to find snail mail adresses, but there is always an e-mail address, so I think that we can reach more.  This also reminds me that I need someone to let me know what to do with these addresses.  I let Heather know that I had them and asked if she would like me to forward them on to her or should I try to send something out myself.  I didn't get a response from her on that, but I understand that she is quite overloaded right now.  I would really like to contact some of these papers since I'm in Houston (AB's hometown) and I've gotten all of the contacts for the smaller papers here.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Divine, I'm paranoid about PayPal due to past problems and am very happy to hear that I can send something still. Grin

Laura
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:44:20 pm by lilag02 » Logged
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: June 27, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »

Let's start thinking of a phrase that can be translated easily into different languages. Something that shows that the Gilmore Girls are loved worldwide.  On the petition there are fans from 25 countries besides the US that are represented.  Everybody should post their phrase and then we can decide.
Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: June 27, 2007, 09:39:25 pm »

Do we have some idea of how many daisies we have so far?  I know that I bought 1,500 a couple of weeks ago.  I think that when we find out approximately how many we have, we could then decide who and where to send them.   There is always sending Lauren, Dawn and Alexis 1,000 each.  Then send the rest of them to ALL THREE of THEM in care of the CW.  (Lauren, Alexis & Dawn).  If they are addressed to all three of them, I would think that the CW would also get the point.  That should make enough of a statement to all involved.  Amd maybe before they are sent, they could be photographed and the pictures sent to Amy Sherman-Palladino with the title of the episode...."Love, Daisies andTroubadours." I had to go search for the correct title to the "daisy" epidsode! My Season One boxed set went on vacation with family memebers who have never seen GG (okay,.....okay, my elderly parents!)
Just some thoughts.....

Nvr2old4GG

Season 8:  Because Rory hasn't stolen nearly as many dinner rolls from "Friday Night Dinners" as Lorelai has.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:53:21 pm by Nvr2old4GG » Logged
karikrigsmann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: June 27, 2007, 11:43:23 pm »

We should say that we want a new season even if Alexis has not the leading part or Gilmore Girls has more leads in the show, or Lauren and Alexis get not so much lines

I am sorry! I don't understand this thought! I absolutley LOVE GG, but it is Lauren and Alexis who ARE GG. As much as I would love for it to continue, I do not want to see a half-arsed attempt with either switching out actors or just referring to characters because the actor didnt want to take a part in another season. It needs to be Lorelai (Lauren) and Rory (Alexis) or I do not see the point in it. Don't get me wrong, the other characters are fabulous, but they are not THE Gilmore Girls!
LolaV
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: June 28, 2007, 03:46:57 am »

I wasn't suggesting that any part of the new daisy campaign go to ASP. I was suggesting that there should be A campaign in regards to ASP. As for LG, I do know everything she has said and was part of the Gold Derby chat as well. However, I think many are spinning her appearances on talk shows, press junkets, and in the chat to make it sound more encouraging than it is -- reading between the lines to find something that might possibly be there, but really probably isn't. While she may have said casually that she the cast and crew didn't say goodbye properly to the each other, in the end she's still accepted moving on and the end of the show is not torturing her at night. She herself even said that even though she had mixed feelings about the ending, once she realized it was over it was okay. Her interest in a movie or anything else is more of a curiousity as to why fans are so connected and why they feel there should be more. She thinks the endings the characters got are satisfactory. If there was never to be another mention of it to her, I don't believe she'd be heart broken about it. So I really don't see her being the one to go out and campaign to her peers to make a movie/season/whatever else happen. She would only participate if her peers came to her, the offer was the right offer, and she felt compelled to do the project.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: