The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 04:12:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1762295 times)
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: June 25, 2007, 04:09:02 pm »

The Petition Project FAQ

1) The purpose of this FAQ is to provide information necessary to get as many people as possible to sign the Gilmore Girls Season 8 petition at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate and then to promote the petition as far and as wide as possible.

2)  "I Want to See More of our Gilmore Girls, but why Should I Sign This Petition?  Amy said she wants to do a 2-hour movie in a year or two, so why Should I Support the Campaign For Season 8?"

The answer is an easy one -- just because Amy says she's interested in doing a Gilmore Girls movie in a year or two doesn't mean that it's going to happen.  A GILMORE GIRLS MOVIE HAS NOT BEEN GREENLIT and therefore, promises of one mean nothing until contracts are signed and it begins filming.  Promises are NOT good enough.  We have to campaign and we have to campaign NOW, for as long as it takes for them to SIGN THE CONTRACTS and begin filming anything from a season 8 of 8-to-13 episodes, a 6-hour miniseries Event (a possible compromise I Just Thunk Up) or even that 2-hour movie that IMO wouldn't be enough onscreen time to tie up all the storylines that were left open (perhaps inadvertently) in the series season finale.

Sure, Lauren soliciting from the GoldDerby.com chat what the fans there would like to see in a 2-hour movie is an encouraging sign, but again, it's still not set in stone -- she's deferring to Amy saying that she's going to do a 2-hour movie "in a year or two."   Lauren may believe that Amy does mean to do a movie in a year or two -- maybe we all do, but once people take for granted that it's supposedly going to happen, it doesn't.  The naysayers also should be reminded that the Pretender movies were greenlit after the cancellation of the series but before the final episodes aired and the Stargate direct-to-DVD (D2DVD) movies were greenlit after the cancellation of SG-1 but *long* before the final episodes aired (one or two more episodes have yet to be aired and the D2DVD movies were announced 3-4 months ago) and the upcoming Babylon 5 D2DVD movie being released at the end of July is filming a *decade* after the series ended.  So NO ONE should take the promise of a movie for granted no matter how much you might trust the persons talking about it.  Movie revivals that are greenlit *after* the final episodes have aired -- the Farscape miniseries, the Serenity movie -- happen *because* of relentless continuing fan support for them, period.

3) So sign the petition already at:  http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

4) Circulate the petition and Mandate link through your email lists, ask your friends to sign the petition, Digg it (more below) and then forward it to other friends

5)  Post the link everywhere you can -- on other message boards having to do with Gilmore Girls, more general shows having to do with Television, MBs dealing with Women's Issues and Women's Rights, or any MB where you either know that there are a lot of Gg fans (even if it's not even remotely Gg or TV-related).  The further away you get from TV-related sites, the more you should please respect the given MBs' policies on Off-Topic Posts.  Some of them don't allow it, some of them DO allow it as long as you start the subject header with the abbreviation OT as in "OT: Please sign the “Save Gilmore Girls Petition."  Please only post such OT posts where you are sure they'll be welcome when it's a non-TV related MB.

6)  Add the petition link and a link to the most current page of this thread to your siggie on ALL message boards you belong to.  ESPECIALLY if it's not a Gg or TV-related MB.  Even if you haven't started an OT thread on that MB, including a link in your siggie may (and often does) get noticed by someone on the given MB who likes the show and *then* that invites thread drift that is better served by then creating an OT thread on that group.  IOW, including the links in your siggie is a great way to test the waters for how discussing the show in that group might or might not be encouraged.  Also, even if no discussion may break out, other posters may follow the link anyway.

7)  Encourage everyone who has signed or will sign the petition to Digg the site or otherwise recommend it to various social networking/news exchange websites -- the petition includes as a matter of automatic function links to over a dozen of these sites, including Digg.  Digg is easy to register for by clicking on the link at the petition, registering and verifying (which is almost instantaneous after filling out the form and clicking on their verification email) and then clicking on the Digg icon on the petition again, sending you to the Digg site, where you'll click "Digg" right underneath the big Digg rating number on the left.  Those of you who have already signed the petition and haven't Digged the petition, please do so.  Digging the petition will help to publicize the petition on Digg, which is among the biggest of these sites and please recommend to other people you know who have signed the petition to go back and Digg it.

Cool  There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) Do as much recruiting as you can to have as many people as you can sign the petition.  The only thing necessary is that the person(s) have their own email address, so you can have as many people in your family sign the petition as you possibly can as long as they have different email addresses.  I would *like* to have somewhere around 10,000 signatures by late July, while I'm on vacation to Southern California for Comic-Con.  I'm considering delivering the petition in person to at least the three most pertinent offices (Lauren and Alexis's management teams and Dawn Ostroff.)

10)  Get them to start posting here at the mandate after they've signed the petition.  They may be scared by the length of this thread -- but just tell them to dive right in because I rotate reposting of the various FAQs as reasonably often as I can in between bouts of eyestrain and migraines Wink .

-- Rob

---------------------------
Season 8:  Because Gilmore Girls, Picket Fences and Entourage are the start of a great game of "Six Degrees of Adam Wylie."
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: June 25, 2007, 04:56:56 pm »

I'm going to give more money to LDDC later tonight!
My dad needs to get home with his credit card.

And a question about CafePress. I ordered the first day you started, and you said you would get back to the people who purchased stuff. Or that it would arrive in the mail. Neither has happened, so I was just wondering what happened.

Nevermind. I just got it.
But am I still able to return it?
It's the wrong size...

love is blind so you didn't see me.
ChocolatGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: June 25, 2007, 05:04:38 pm »

I'm going to give more money to LDDC later tonight!
My dad needs to get home with his credit card.

And a question about CafePress. I ordered the first day you started, and you said you would get back to the people who purchased stuff. Or that it would arrive in the mail. Neither has happened, so I was just wondering what happened.

I know you weren't talking to me,  Wink  but I bet you'll get it in the mail.  I got my t-shirt over the weekend and someone else posted that she got her bumper sticker.  
    ETA:  You got it!
    BTW, folks, we're only a few hundred votes from #8 on teavee.  http://teavee.com/gilmoregirls/
Come and help out if you can.  If you haven't been over there before, the "registration" is so easy.  They just ask for any email address (and I mean ANY email address *winkie winkie*).  So just type it in after you choose a user name and you're on.  I say this because I am one to be scared off by complicated logins sometimes.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:06:34 pm by ChocolatGilmore » Logged

{Daisy Duke. Java Junkie. Literati. Closet Case.}
HollowStar
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

There are no flowers, no not this time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6513 on: June 25, 2007, 05:11:43 pm »

I sent an e-mail to the appropriate person, but I'm not sure how much good it will do at this point.  I suppose any effort is worth a shot!

I will let you down.  I will make you hurt.  What have I become?
JillianLovesFood

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: June 25, 2007, 05:53:23 pm »

Ok, so I'm confused... is the Daisy Duke sending daisies thing due on June 29th still or has it been extended to July something? That would help alot because I could add more to the fund when I get my next paycheck in two weeks.

I got an autograph from Alexis today! There was no letter but I'm DYING to know which letters she read.  Huh

Yes, I received my Great8Mandate bumper sticker from CafePress. As I said before it's very light so you have to be kind close to read the text but it's VERY pretty!

As for Lauren's Conan interveiw, the more I see it and go over the things she said the more I'm convinced she's not 100% truthful. There are huge inconsistancies with what she said in compairson to previous interviews, especially with how she felt about the show AND Matt. I mean she SERIOUSLY DOESN'T remember what "Oy With the Poodles" was?  Shocked Huh I know that was 6 years ago but a saying like that is hard to forget.

I haven't had the chance nor the money to see Evan Almighty yet but I really want to.

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
ChocolatGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: June 25, 2007, 08:28:53 pm »

As for Lauren's Conan interveiw, the more I see it and go over the things she said the more I'm convinced she's not 100% truthful. There are huge inconsistancies with what she said in compairson to previous interviews, especially with how she felt about the show AND Matt. I mean she SERIOUSLY DOESN'T remember what "Oy With the Poodles" was?  Shocked Huh I know that was 6 years ago but a saying like that is hard to forget.

That was a really weird interview, wasn't it?  I wonder if she's just so busy with everything right now that she's getting physically and mentally exhausted.  Or maybe just a mixture of tiredness, trying to give fresh answers to old questions, not wanting to burn any bridges, etc.

{Daisy Duke. Java Junkie. Literati. Closet Case.}
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:25 pm »

That was a really weird interview, wasn't it?  I wonder if she's just so busy with everything right now that she's getting physically and mentally exhausted.  Or maybe just a mixture of tiredness, trying to give fresh answers to old questions, not wanting to burn any bridges, etc.

Well, I've got two answers for ya and another lengthy comment:

1)  Lauren's interviews are *always* weird, so somebody who's seen a lot of them (like I have) can help ya with #2.

2)  It's all of the above.  Press junkets *are* exhausting, doing press junkets for one movie while you're filming another movie at the same time is exhausting on a normal actor's work day (add to Lauren's schedule the ridiculous amount of promotion that she had to do for Evan these past two weeks due to it being a $175 million tentpole movie), answering the same questions over and over again is exhausting, answering the same questions about Evan Almighty AND Gilmore Girls at the same time is exhausting, answering them to reporters who may have their own agendas that have nothing to do with promoting the movie or show is exhausting.  And then there's the whole not wanting to burn bridges thing -- not wanting to burn bridges with Universal, whose movie she's promoting (and for whom therefore she doesn't want to spend too much time answering Gg questions on their dime), not wanting to burn bridges with Warner, who she might work with again (especially since we *want* her to do any sort of Gg revival with them), not wanting to burn bridges with David or Alexis or Amy or anyone else involved with Gg.  Heck, she's even IMO overly generous in trying to take all the blame for the series season finale in most of these interviews saying that "she wanted it to be the most amazing episode ever" [in requesting David to rewrite it at the last minute].   

Sure, she made the request, but David (and his uncredited co-rewriters, the remaining writing staff at the time) didn't have to try to make the episode work as either a season or a series finale.  It didn't work as a series finale and ultimately, when the acting is there and the directing is there and the story still isn't up to snuff, it's actually the writers' fault.  What happened, ultimately, is that they didn't accept the commission to make it a storyline that could work as a series finale.  They wrote a season finale and voiced their displeasure throughout that there was even the possibility that they could be writing the series finale.

IOW, there was no artistic unity -- even though they say they were on the same page, the writers, Lauren and *somebody else* on the show were NOT all on the same page, (he said ambiguously).  It's not a situation like with The Sopranos, where the ending is the point -- you weren't supposed to see the smash-cut to blackout coming on The Sopranos, but when you go back through the past few episodes, you see it foreshadowed all over the place.  By contrast, with Gg, you see foreshadowing for *what comes next after the season finale.*  IOW, the ending of The Sopranos was structured as part of the unified whole of the series, the season finale of Gilmore Girls was not and that's why it makes a terrible ending, why it is unfair to the viewers, the actors, the cast and the crew and, well, even for the episode's story *itself* for a genuinely good season finale to bear the pressure of being the last episode of the series FOR NOW.

3)  And to make it worse, she's trying to deflect questions about how badly Gg ended both in front of and behind the cameras by answering questions about a pretty bad movie.  (Yes, I gave EA two stars and I stand by that.  It's in the upper echelon of bad movies merely due to the good acting of Carell and Graham.)  Add items two and three together and you've got Lauren doing her part as a team player on both the Evan and Gilmore teams by trying to play damage control.  But try as she might try to play damage control and as much as I think she should be applauded for trying (she should get an ovation for the junket performance that she's putting on), the circumstances make it impossible for even her to -- mixing my metaphors a little -- spin all these broken plates around.

I mean, we ALL know how badly the show ended -- even those who have given up on Gg -- not because they think that the show should end with an actual finale but because they simply don't think that they're ever going to get it -- know how badly the show ended.  Everybody knows who was more the hold-out, everyone knows who most of the Gilmore actors are NOT talking about (hint: she's in Greece filming a movie right now).  Everyone knows that Lauren is filming three more wife roles in a row now and is even making genially defnesive jokes about it already.  (Not a good sign.)  Okay, sure, with Evan out of the way after this week, she gets to go into a sort of seclusion by throwing herself back into these movies that she's filming, but she's still going to be doing advance press for them during down time, which means that she's still going to be fielding Gilmore questions, which means the show's not going to go away even from that standpoint.

So as she decompresses from the exhaustion of #2 and #3 above, the way the show ended -- badly -- is going to keep working on her.  I mean, we've already seen it in the differene between what she was saying at the junket interviews and on Leno and at GoldDerby two days later.  She's flat-out admitted that she can't bear to watch it, it was too much pressure to put on one episode, etc., etc.

Our campaign, at least, the part of it directed at Lauren, is something of a surgical strike.  We can't go to one extreme or the other, we can't be either fawning fangeeks *or* buzzkill..  We have to continue to stress to her and to the media that the series season finale was not in any way a satisfactory end to the series, but we have to do it in a way that is not punitive, that encourages her to come back to the table, that encourages her to encourage less amenable parties to come back to the table, that encourages her or someone else (Helen Pai, perhaps?) to represent the show and/or Amy toward any sort of a revival.

I wish I could say that Lauren was *intending* to give us this many Freudian slips, but I think we lucked out in the sense that she's just doing so much, she's got herself so spread out right now, that her actual views are coming out underneath the spin.  If she could steer the direction of the final episodes of the season, she sure could steer a revival if/when we give her enough of an honest, heartfelt reason to.   And that means persistence.  'Cause if she's struggling that much with her feelings about the end of the show -- her prevaricating about how badly the show ended makes her denials that she and Scott hated each other look truthful in their relative and sharp terseness -- then our mission becomes even more defined:  we don't have to worry about looking like one extreme or the other in Gg fandom, we just have to be persistent, truthful, honest and heartfelt in reminding her to trust her instincts about the season finale: that it didn't even come *close* to working as a series finale.

(Oy, for a minute there, I didn't think I was going to get to the point.)

-- Rob

-----------------------------
Season 8:  Because story endings have to be carefully constructed many episodes in advance.
Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: June 26, 2007, 12:04:42 am »

Has anyone but me noticed that the "Season 8 Because:" hardly mentions Rory anymore?  I am glad that Lauren and Alexis are very close (sisterly) but to be honest the "all or nothing attitude" they showed isn't going to help either of their careers at this point.  I agree, being a wife to Greg Kinnear, Matt Perry and ??(I can't remember the third one) will get OLD really quickly.  I recently read an interview that Treat Williams gave when he started "Heartland."  He said he was exhausted from "Everwood" but he decided he couldn't pass up the person writing this new show.  Treat is a few years older than Lauren..(okay...like 14) and I am sure he was tired.  Lauren, on the other hand, seems to have a very high level of energy...just from her fidgeting while being interviewed, so I would like to think that once she returns home and thinks about her monkey lamp, she will realize she had a much more important role on GG.  I missed the Conan interview and if she was that flighty, I am just as glad!

She said in one interview that I read that she is probably closest to Kelly Bishop.  Maybe we should be sending some letters to Kelly as we already know that SHE didn't like the way things ended!  I am to a point that if Alexis doesn't want to return, there is still story to tell without her.  They could just mention what she is doing. (The old soap opera "phone calls" from afar.)  "Reed Fish" has still never come to my area!

Just some thoughts on a late night!
Nvr2old4GG

Season 8: Because we never got to say a proper goodbye to "Paul Anka!"

Season 8:  Because Richard and Emily made such a fuss over the runaway dog, it seems time for them to adopt one for themselves.
lalaliz2005
« Reply #6518 on: June 26, 2007, 05:22:52 am »

I got an autograph from Alexis today! There was no letter but I'm DYING to know which letters she read.  Huh

I received a signed picture from Alexis yesterday in the mail too. At least I know they got my letter.... months down the road.  Wink

I wonder if they are actually reading them, or just saving the addresses and throwing the letters away.
tsmurphygirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: June 26, 2007, 05:33:20 am »

I have a weird question.  I think I saw Lauren in an interview saying they didn't get any $$ from the DVD sales.  Is this true??  And, is that standard?  If so, I think it's really a low blow.  What about the reruns?  I don't know how the $$ goes, but usually it says alot about how the actors/actresses answer questions while their work is still "out there" and drawing in $$.
gimoregirls1992ab
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

Oy with the poodles already!

View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: June 26, 2007, 06:48:28 am »

Current vote total is 50991. Rank is #9. (262 away from #8 and 16332 ahead of #10)

we are really close to #8, which is really close to #7, it seems we slip at night...but the more help we can get the better!

It's hard to wait around for something that you
know might never happen but its even
harder to give up especially when its
everything that you ever wanted....
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:13 am »

I have a weird question.  I think I saw Lauren in an interview saying they didn't get any $$ from the DVD sales.  Is this true??  And, is that standard?  If so, I think it's really a low blow.  What about the reruns?  I don't know how the $$ goes, but usually it says alot about how the actors/actresses answer questions while their work is still "out there" and drawing in $$.

It's true that they don't get any $ from the DVD sales and that's why they won't do commentary tracks.  But make no mistake, at the level that Lauren, Alexis, Sarah Michelle Gellar and others are working at, they *aren't* refusing to do commentary tracks to try to get more money out of the studios for themselves, they're doing it for the 99% of actors who *don't* make as much money as they do.  The rise of DVD sales cuts into residuals from syndication by about a third and rising -- the cut in residuals is rising as DVD becomes more and more popular and syndication for one-hour shows gets worse and worse.  The cut in residuals for actors, writers and directors hurts character actors, non-star opening credits leads and guest actors the most -- it hurts Yanic Truesdale, Liza Weil, Sean Gunn, Sally Struthers, Liz Torres, Michael Winters, Shelly Cole (Madeline), Teal Redmann (Louise), David Sutcliffe and similar-level actors the most. 

Some of these actors (Yanic, Liza, Sean) have earned decent nest-eggs from the show, but remember, most of them live in and around L.A. -- where the cost of living is freakin' galactically high, going to auditions, getting turned down 39 of every 40 times and living off those nest eggs for as long as those nest eggs last, as long as they can afford to stay in L.A., which, for most of them, isn't long.  Some, like Sally Struthers, are able to supplement their income by doing live theater -- others can land a commercial or two, where the residuals are insanely good because of the number of times they're repeated and that can help them extend their careers greatly.  For many actors, however, residuals are what gets them through the lean times, when they don't get as much work.

Make no mistake about it, those are the actors that stars are defending when they refuse to do commentary tracks.  There have been similar lawsuits over syndication residuals by actors from The X-Files (Duchovny, Chris Carter) and MASH (Alan Alda) where Fox Studio was lowballing the price they were selling episodes of those shows into syndication, cutting into their profit participation and residuals that aren't so much about them as it is about sustaining the residual system entirely.

So these actors refusal to do commentary tracks unless they get paid for DVD sales isn't so much about them as it is about refusing to cross the picket line for the sake of the non-lead actors.

FTR, the union contracts for all three of the major guilds, writing, acting and directing, are coming up within the next year.  First up is the writers' guild, whose contract with the studios expires in September -- and, of course, their biggest demands are for DVD residuals/profit participation.  Next year it'll be the actors and directors.

What's already happening is that the studios are stocking up on TV episodes and movies in an effort to keep the stream of new product coming out in preparation for a strike.  What happens is that *everybody,* writers, actors and directors and everybody else, take as many jobs as they can during the same period of time in order to, again, build up their nest eggs to get them trhough teh fallow period of a strike.  That's part of the reason that Lauren is doing three movies in a row and a Special K commercial or three right now (even though she won't say that in public), those in the trade know that that's why she's doing them -- they recognize the typical pre-strike rush to do as many jobs as they can because *they're doing it too.*  It's why the production of the new seaso of Las Vegas started about three months earlier than shows usually start -- because NBC wanted to have that full season to show in the fall if/when a strike hits.  There are a lot of other examples, but the result is that, again, while the stars themselves are building up their own nest eggs, too, they're taking the parts mostly to help the less well-paid actors, writers and directors build up their own nest eggs to get *them* through the impending strike.

FTR, the last time the threat of a strike hit was the last time that the writers' contracts came up, which was in 2000 -- and it was over DVD residuals.  Studios built up their inventory of movies, same as they're doing now and what happened was the more concilatory slate of officers of the WGA caved before a strike hit, which caused SAG and the DGA to more or less cave, too, when their contracts came up.  But DVD sales of even *movies* was a new concept back then, so the guilds didn't really have the sales of what was a new, unproven technology on their side in the negotiations.  Now that DVDs *have* hit and everyone in the biz *has* the figures that it's cutting into syndication residuals, a strike is *far* more likely to happen because now, the guilds have no reason to budge.  Also helps that the current boards of most of the guilds (particularly SAG) are far less eager-to-please the studios.

As a result, if/when the WGA strikes, the actors and directors won't cross the picket lines -- same thing next year when the latter two contracts come up.  What will likely happen if/when the WGA strikes is that the studios will become more and more likely to negotiate similar deals on DVD residuals with those latter two guilds rather than risk extending the shutdown by provoking more strikes.

IOW, make no mistake actors who refuse to do commentary tracks are doing the right thing.  Doesn't mean that I begrudge actors and writers and directors who *do* do commentary tracks -- those people are doing them because they're either fangeeks themselves (some do 'em just because they love doing them) or because, as with the NewsRadio crew, they still socialize and are doing it as a favor to the show creator.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because all the actors and creative types and crew should get the opportunity to build up their nest eggs from doing a great show rather than do crap like the same stereotypical role (like Wife roles) four times in a row -- and that's when they get cast at all.
LolaV
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: June 26, 2007, 08:58:19 am »

Is there any part of this campaign that is being directed solely toward Amy Sherman-Palladino to write the GG two hour television movie? It would seem more logical to focus on the movie than an 8th season. Dawn Ostroff is not going to renew the show at this point. Les Moonves would never allow it anyway. The only way we will be getting more Gilmore Girls in the future is if someone scripts a movie. The only person to suggest that thus far is AS-P herself. So why not send daisies, coffee, letters, etc. to Amy. That way she will know that Gilmore fans never forget and we won't let her forget either.

I just think it would be horrible if people donated money for the daisy campaign and have it lead to nothing. At least by sending things ASPs way there is still a chance of something coming from it.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: June 26, 2007, 09:31:08 am »

Has anyone but me noticed that the "Season 8 Because:" hardly mentions Rory anymore? 

I may respond to the rest of your post later because you bring up some good points.  But yes, I've always been aware that I'm not coming up with as nearly as many "Because-es" (I call them Drive-By Siggies) for Rory than for Lorelai or for the show in general.  Theoretically, I should be coming up with an equal amount of Rory siggies as Lorelai siggies, but the reality is that I identify far more with Lorelai than with Rory (yes, I identify far more with Lorelai than with Rory in a way that makes my opinion that Lauren is waaaaaaaay better looking than Rory *entirely* beside the point), so the Lorelai siggies come far more easily to me than the Rory siggies do.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory's story isn't finished yet, either.  Contrary to a certain actress's understandable yet exhaustion-misguided belief.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: June 26, 2007, 12:54:55 pm »

Is there any part of this campaign that is being directed solely toward Amy Sherman-Palladino to write the GG two hour television movie? It would seem more logical to focus on the movie than an 8th season. Dawn Ostroff is not going to renew the show at this point. Les Moonves would never allow it anyway. The only way we will be getting more Gilmore Girls in the future is if someone scripts a movie. The only person to suggest that thus far is AS-P herself. So why not send daisies, coffee, letters, etc. to Amy. That way she will know that Gilmore fans never forget and we won't let her forget either.

I just think it would be horrible if people donated money for the daisy campaign and have it lead to nothing. At least by sending things ASPs way there is still a chance of something coming from it.

It's certainly an ongoing point of contention whether we should be sending things to Amy or not.  I encourage everyone to write letters to Amy c/o her management team below, but as for anything larger -- the Daisy Campaign, for instance, it's more a matter of tactics.  What's the most effective use of the resources.  Since Amy has already voiced interest in doing a 2-hour movie, it's not really her that we need to convince -- it's the actresses (or, in particular, one actress, but we're sticking to The Pact in targeting both of them) and the studio/Dawn Ostroff.  Doesn't make sense to me to divide the daisies four ways, including Amy when Amy has already more or less declared that she's on board.  So it's more a question of sending signals to everyone else that any revival, 2-hour movie or larger, must happen sooner rather than later.  Amy is going to be busy in NYC handling her own series, so she's not going to be plugged into the L.A. scene as much anyway, so it's more effective, IMO, to keep sending letters to Lauren as she's already said she's going to discuss various Gg stuff with Amy.  So, in that sense, not including Amy isn't meant to be disrespectful, we just have to kill two birds with one stone, metaphorically speaking.

Feel free, however to send Amy an arrangement of real yellow daisies in care of her management address below, though, as part of the still-ongoing-but-I-haven't-posted-it-in-a-while Operation:  Daisy Duke campaign, the older sister of the Little Daisy Duke Campaign.  ODD is a do-it-yourself campaign, so please, contribute to the Little Daisy Duke Campaign *first* so that we can do the Flood Of Daisies as soon as possible. 

In terms of if/when we reach 10,000 signatures on the petition -- preferrably by July 28th because I *will* deliver it in person, then sure, I can also deliver them to Amy's management (although, honestly, I expect CAA's offices to scare the hell out of me.)  Stuff like that is a totally different tactic than figuring out how many ways to divide the Daisy pie.

And on that note, it's time for another installment of . . .

Rob's Great 8 Mandate Welcome Post and Mail Primer

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  Well, heck -- Amy Sherman-Palladino has voiced interest in doing a 2-hour movie, and Scott Patterson, Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil have all three voiced reservations about the season finale being a series finale -- so it's clear that no matter how much time is passing, most people that are most important to the show (some of whom have even left the show) *do* want to keep it going.  So that's all the more reason to keep going, full speed ahead.   This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SIGN THE GREAT 8 MANDATE PETITION AT

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

It takes time for the news of any petition to reach the various parts of a show's fandom, so it will take time and your recruitment efforts to get Gg's petition up to a reasonable goal.  I think that we, as fans of a top-rated show on a smaller network, should be able to raise well into the five-figures.  Post the petition link on message boards far and wide, put them into your sigs on non-Gg MBs, do the facebook-myspace stuff and spread the word by email.  Include a short note of "I signed the petition, please sign it, too." If we receive at least 10,000 unique, honestly-given signatures by the end of Comic-Con in late July, I'll extend my vacation to print them out and deliver them in person in LA to the offices of The CW, Warner Studio and the actresses' management teams.

SPECIAL NOTE:  Let the people you talk to know that signing the petition means that you simply want Gg to resolve in some way. If you think that it should finish with 13 episodes, which is our goal here, then great!  If you want only a 2-hour movie or think that a 2-hour movie is all that Gg fans can get, then great, too!  No one should be made to feel left out of signing the petition just because of what they think we can get!  Your signature can be accompanied by a comment, so you should mention your feelings and goals there!

OTHER SPECIAL NOTE:  Whether you've already signed the petition or are about to sign the petition, please click on the "Digg" social bookmarking link on the petition page -- you might have to register for Digg, but the registration process is fast and simple.  You may have to click on the Digg link at the petition again after registering, but in any case, once you get to the Season 8 petition page on Digg at:  http://digg.com/celebrity/The_Gilmore_Girls_Season_8_Petition , please click on the "Digg' button underneath the large ranking button at the left hand side of the screen and your Digg vote will be entered.  Then please spread the word about the petition and the Digg link.

2)  SEND SNAIL MAIL:

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the people who have the most potential to help are IMO, Lauren, Alexis and the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.  Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced, so I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

* BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):   DON'T mention salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

* ADD PAPER DAISIES TO YOUR LETTER:   Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

3)  SEND EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL

The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.   It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

4) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you (and in fact, a list of additional addresses that I've gathered is in the process of being proofread for me.  (My brain is fried.)   Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)  NOTE: at this time, Alexis may be in the most need of notes of encouragement to continue the series.

5) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

6) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.   It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

7) And send them daisies if you can.  Real daisies, paper daisies, polyester daisies.  Once per week, if you can afford it, twice a month, once a month.  A different person each time, rotating between Dawn, Lauren and Alexis -- and now, Amy Sherman-Palladino (yay!) and Peter Roth.

Cool There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) CONTACT ADVERTISERS:

Divine has set up a word document containing contact information regarding the various national advertisers who placed commercials in the series season finale.  The document can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/9907391-List%20of%20Advertisers.doc (NOTE:  This is an updated url.)   If you contact any of the advertisers, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following: 

* SPECIAL NOTE:  Certain Advertisers have been responsive and positive, some have been non-committal but given "We can't directly affect the fate of the show, but we value your input in how it will help us to determine how we'll choose to determine where we place our advertising in the future."  BOTH are positive responses. Even the non-committal responses probably mean that Gg writers are having an effect behind-the-scenes, so please contact advertisers whether you get the response you think you should get or not.

* Please be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings, particularly in light of how terrible the ratings are of Veronica Mars.  Don't otherwise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is alienating the viewership by cancelling both the high-rated Gilmore Girls and the low-rated Veronica Mars (whose fanbase is probably a subset of Gilmore Girls’ fanbase), doesn't it make sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls in order to retrieve  the goodwill of that viewership and thereby make The CW a much better outlet for your product?"

* Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

10) Write to this CW weblog at:  http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/2007/05/rumorville_a_gilmore_girls_tv.html   .   It asks about how you feel about the news that Amy is interested in doing a 2-hour movie version of the show.  I managed to swing the conversation a little in one of my own posts to the blog page, asking everybody to not take wanting to see a season 8 as a given and instead say if they'd want to see a season 8 rather than *just* a movie.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory makes the adult mistakes and Lorelai makes the teenage romance mistakes.  As befits the show's premise of presenting the kid that acts like an adult and the adult that acts like a kid.
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: