The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:01:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1732739 times)
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6465 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:23 am »

In this hypothetical season 8 I would adore and we are hoping for... who do we think would be the showrunner? If, let's say, we acheive the mid-season replacement? DR?? Not that I would mind, necessarily, but didn't I read that he wasn't even opening up fan mail??

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: June 22, 2007, 11:53:32 am »

In this hypothetical season 8 I would adore and we are hoping for... who do we think would be the showrunner? If, let's say, we acheive the mid-season replacement? DR?? Not that I would mind, necessarily, but didn't I read that he wasn't even opening up fan mail??

Rosenthal has already signed on to be the #2 guy on Men in Trees alongside that show's showrunner, Jenny Bicks -- and Lauren's favorite writer on Gg, Jenny Snyder has also been picked up by that show.  His assistant was opening up fan mail and returning quite bitter responses around May 9th or so, so I don't think that he'd be back in any case.  I would, however, be willng to be that Lauren would be able to get Snyder (again, her favorite writer from s7 and the writer of her Emmy submission, "Farewell, My Pet") to do an episode or two, purely speculatively -- writers *can* write for more than one series if they're freelance or on staff but allowed to freelance.  But since Rosenthal's the #2 guy at MoT, I don't think he's in the picture for any possible revival.

Pure speculation here though -- the Palladinos' original thought the Jess spin-off, Windward Place, was that Amy was going to continue showrunning Gg while Daniel was going to showrun Windward Place.  Of course, the then-head of The WB hated not only the concept of the Windward Place spinoff, he hated Gg, too -- which was part of the reason why about the only thing was able to destroy when he was there was Windward Place.  Seems to me like the Palladinos could handle showrunning two shows at the same time, just depends on which one would produce which show.  There's a large contingent of Amy fans who hated Daniel's episodes, but Daniel was the one who was smart enough to recognize the chemistry of Lorelai and Luke and sorta made Amy shift gears and make the show not about Lor and Chris.  So if it were up to me, I'd have Daniel showrun Gg and Amy showrun JJ, with Amy writing whatever 2-hour finale would then come at the end of a short return run for Gg.  There's something of a shortage of qualified showrunners in Hollywood and Daniel hasn't really run one of his own yet, so I don't see why they *shouldn't* giving him some "training wheels," so to speak to push him that one last bit toward showrunning on his own.  Of course, it's a moot point if after the whole divorce from Gg thing, the Palladinos have just decided that they're a team and that's that, but anyway, that's what I'd do -- approach Amy and Daniel with the intent that Daniel would showrun a revival season.

-- Rob

------------------------
Season 8:  Because "To Live and Let Diorama" is my favorite Daniel Palladino episode.

Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: June 22, 2007, 01:07:11 pm »

I must tell you that "Evan Almighty" got a so-so review in my local newspaper.  There was a picture of Lauren and Steve and a small paragraph talking about Morgan Freeman's role.  "There is an effective, touching scene between Freeman and Lauren Graham, who play's Evan's wife.  She's left him and taken their three boys with her because  of her husband's outrageous antics, and Freeman talks with her about posing as a busboy."

That is The Only Mention of Lauren!  Now, I know that our local-yokel movie reviewer is a putz...but that is all she got!  A sidebar article from AP Los Angeles doesn't mention her, either! I know I live in an area that has had and continues to have activities that resemble the Sopranos...but if I were Lauren, I would be very disappointed that the Los Angeles article never even mentioned her name.

Maybe other parts of the country appreciate quality talent more than we do (even if it just a "wife-role").  But I agree that when Lauren finally "decompresses" from GG I think she will realize who and where her true fans are!  And let's face it.....this isn't a time that Hollywood is showing an interest in quality actresses....they are more into "Bimbo Watching!"  But even Katharine Hepburn had to find her niche the hard way!  And I do think that Lauren has that "certain something" that Katharine had! (the facial expressions, the physical movements, etc. .)  When she is on camera she is communicating with more than just her voice and seems just as natural as Katharine was!

Nvr2old4GG

Season 8:  Just because Christiane Amanpour gave Rory her business card doens't mean WE know what she actually did with it or used it for!  OR, if she was actually able to use it at all while on the Obama campaign trail.
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: June 22, 2007, 04:30:02 pm »

Heather or Rob,

Has there been any feedback from the press release packets sent out?
go_clo

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: June 22, 2007, 06:34:11 pm »

I completely agree with your theory about Alexis versus Amy! Amy already expressed interest in the Movie, I think after a years break from the show, she would be somewhat willing to do at least 13 episodes. Alexis is the one we should focus our attention on along with Lauren (who is clearly more broken up about the show being gone then she wants to show) and Dawn who officially cancelled the show!

There "would've been a difference if we'd known it was the end -- emotionally, psychologically and even creatively, I think," she says. But the pressure that comes with wrapping up a saga with such fervid audience loyalty is tremendous, she adds, so "in a way, it was a blessing to just kind of have a quiet exit."

Well, that's amusing if she thinks that being abruptly cancelled when all the crew and the audience and the network thinks you're going to be renewed.  As she notes later in the interview, she still doesn't have any perspective on the end of the show, and that statement above is a great example of why.  Quiet exit?  Ut, no.  May 2nd was NOT a quiet exit of the show for anyone.  May 15th wasn't even a quiet exit -- it was, as Kelly Bishop said, "insulting to the fans."

I totally agree, there was no quiet exit! I came online on May 3rd, came straight to the mandate and found 15-20 pages of new stuff after only been gone for less then a day. I knew something was wrong! Ironically the place I heard the news about the show being cancelled was in the Mandate, the Mandate trying to save the show. It's weird cause I didn't usually go to the mandate first when going on the internet but I did that day just to find that! Cry After shedding some tears (ok bawling like crazy) and walking away from my comp for a bit trying to believe what I just read, I went to several other fansites after and there were paaages and pages of stuff about it! I had never seen such a huge reaction from a show being cancelled. Maybe cause I have never been into a show before it was cancelled. I don't really know, however I do know that the show did not go out quietly! Someone from LJ posted something with all the articles talking about the show being gone and this was the same day the show got cancelled, the list was sooo long! I had no idea there were so many articles about it! Every major media outlet plus some I have never heard of, were reporting it! There was no subtle goodbye, no subtle tears fallen, it was all smack dab in the open! Look at the VM cancellation! Not to be insulting to fans but it was officially cancelled, what 2 weeks ago? I didn't hear a thing from the fans! The second I heard, I went to fanforums VM thread, not a word about it! That is a quiet exit!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:41:44 pm by go_clo » Logged

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
Lauren xx 424
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6470 on: June 22, 2007, 08:35:08 pm »

im excited to see lauren tonight! and before conan i get to watch kelly clarkson perform on leno! woo hoo this is just a good night Smiley

*Lauren*

7.24.05 // 7.03.06 // *7.04.06* // 7.06.06 // 2.17.07 // 2.18.07
Kelly Clarkson && Gilmore Girls = Love Pleased

JillianLovesFood

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: June 22, 2007, 10:26:22 pm »

SPOILER ABOUT CONAN'S INTERVIEW-

Well, I HAVE to hand it to Conan he was amazing the way he phrased his questions about Gilmore Girls and what the fans were feeling about it (I have a feeling he knows someone personally who has talked to him about their feelings of it) but Lauren seemed to veer off of answering him directly. She started off saying how it was really hard and then went into saying how she barely remembers what happened the last day of the show. Then she went on to explain how with 7 years she barely remembers ANYTHING from the show. She didn't get what the meaning behind the Monkey Lamp was but took it because a producer suggested it. She also explained how girls would come up to her and say: "Oy with the Poodles" and she wouldn't get what that meant. Then she totally went off the subject by diving into her relationship with Matt and Dunkin Donuts coffee. Um, I HIGHLY suggest with the daisy campaign a little letter explaining the significance behind the daisies reference because she probably won't remember that one either.  Roll Eyes  I did notice that throughout most of the interview she kept on shifting in her seat, playing with one of her earrings and adjusting the strap sleeve on her dress... she was definately not as relaxed as she was on Leno's show. I think everything is starting to get to her a little.

And Now For Something Completely Different...
I sent a payment for the Daisy fund campaign to Heather I hope it helps! If you need more money in the future let me know and I might be able to work some things in.

I also received my CafePress "Great8Mandate" bumper sticker and placed it on my car earlier today. The only problem I see is that all the soft colors between the yellow and the pink makes it hard for the words to stand out otherwise it is VERY pretty. I LOVE it.

Rosenthal has already signed on to be the #2 guy on Men in Trees alongside that show's showrunner, Jenny Bicks -- and Lauren's favorite writer on Gg, Jenny Snyder has also been picked up by that show.  His assistant was opening up fan mail and returning quite bitter responses around May 9th or so, so I don't think that he'd be back in any case.  I would, however, be willng to be that Lauren would be able to get Snyder (again, her favorite writer from s7 and the writer of her Emmy submission, "Farewell, My Pet") to do an episode or two, purely speculatively -- writers *can* write for more than one series if they're freelance or on staff but allowed to freelance.  But since Rosenthal's the #2 guy at MoT, I don't think he's in the picture for any possible revival.

Pure speculation here though -- the Palladinos' original thought the Jess spin-off, Windward Place, was that Amy was going to continue showrunning Gg while Daniel was going to showrun Windward Place.  Of course, the then-head of The WB hated not only the concept of the Windward Place spinoff, he hated Gg, too -- which was part of the reason why about the only thing was able to destroy when he was there was Windward Place.  Seems to me like the Palladinos could handle showrunning two shows at the same time, just depends on which one would produce which show.  There's a large contingent of Amy fans who hated Daniel's episodes, but Daniel was the one who was smart enough to recognize the chemistry of Lorelai and Luke and sorta made Amy shift gears and make the show not about Lor and Chris.  So if it were up to me, I'd have Daniel showrun Gg and Amy showrun JJ, with Amy writing whatever 2-hour finale would then come at the end of a short return run for Gg.  There's something of a shortage of qualified showrunners in Hollywood and Daniel hasn't really run one of his own yet, so I don't see why they *shouldn't* giving him some "training wheels," so to speak to push him that one last bit toward showrunning on his own.  Of course, it's a moot point if after the whole divorce from Gg thing, the Palladinos have just decided that they're a team and that's that, but anyway, that's what I'd do -- approach Amy and Daniel with the intent that Daniel would showrun a revival season.

I never really thought about DP taking over for the writing, that's a good suggestion. One of my favorite episodes of his was "Blame Booze and..." and Amy can't take 100% credit for the entire show herself I'm sure Dan had some influence on the way the show went. With Amy seeming to have taken full reigns of "Return of Jezzebelle" what is Dan gonna be doing?

However, you also can't forget Rebecca R.K. who did a fair chunk of the writing for Season 7 and a lot of the good episodes with the characters being as close to their characters and they could get, not to mention good references. I think she could do a good job as head writer with help from Rina M. and Jennie Snyder.

We can't also forget there is a chance "Return of Jeezbelle" will flop so bad Amy while deciding to move forward with the GG reunion could be able to write 8 or 11 episodes to end the show on a good season the way it was meant to end. 11 episodes would fit nicely into everyone's schedule and wouldn't put as much pressure on everyone as if it was for 22 episodes. As a matter of fact if an 8 season would to go amazingly well my exteme wishful thinking is for a ninth season with 11 episodes... but we have a hard enough time with THIS season so I probably shoudln't get ahead of myself.

I also suggest maybe we should think of the 8th season airing during the next summer season because networks this season with reruns are getting SLAMMED by networks with new series airing now (IE: "America's Got Talent", "So You Think You Can Dance?", etc). CW has NOTHING at all and they could consider endorsing GG for an eighth season with 8-11 episode to air during the 3-4 months of the summer season and it would bring in LOTS of ratings. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:43:29 pm by JillianLovesFood » Logged

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: June 22, 2007, 11:41:07 pm »

Heather or Rob,

Has there been any feedback from the press release packets sent out?

Not yet.  Which means it's going to be time for a follow-up packet.  Once per month.  I'll do one this time since, frankly, we're making Heather do a LOT of stuff (well, except for one other thing that divine, her brother and I can't announce yet) as it is.

I completely agree with your theory about Alexis versus Amy! Amy already expressed interest in the Movie, I think after a years break from the show, she would be somewhat willing to do at least 13 episodes. Alexis is the one we should focus our attention on along with Lauren (who is clearly more broken up about the show being gone then she wants to show) and Dawn who officially cancelled the show!

There "would've been a difference if we'd known it was the end -- emotionally, psychologically and even creatively, I think," she says. But the pressure that comes with wrapping up a saga with such fervid audience loyalty is tremendous, she adds, so "in a way, it was a blessing to just kind of have a quiet exit."

Well, that's amusing if she thinks that being abruptly cancelled when all the crew and the audience and the network thinks you're going to be renewed.  As she notes later in the interview, she still doesn't have any perspective on the end of the show, and that statement above is a great example of why.  Quiet exit?  Ut, no.  May 2nd was NOT a quiet exit of the show for anyone.  May 15th wasn't even a quiet exit -- it was, as Kelly Bishop said, "insulting to the fans."

I totally agree, there was no quiet exit! I came online on May 3rd, came straight to the mandate and found 15-20 pages of new stuff after only been gone for less then a day. I knew something was wrong! Ironically the place I heard the news about the show being cancelled was in the Mandate, the Mandate trying to save the show. It's weird cause I didn't usually go to the mandate first when going on the internet but I did that day just to find that! Cry After shedding some tears (ok bawling like crazy) and walking away from my comp for a bit trying to believe what I just read, I went to several other fansites after and there were paaages and pages of stuff about it! I had never seen such a huge reaction from a show being cancelled. Maybe cause I have never been into a show before it was cancelled. I don't really know, however I do know that the show did not go out quietly! Someone from LJ posted something with all the articles talking about the show being gone and this was the same day the show got cancelled, the list was sooo long! I had no idea there were so many articles about it! Every major media outlet plus some I have never heard of, were reporting it! There was no subtle goodbye, no subtle tears fallen, it was all smack dab in the open! Look at the VM cancellation! Not to be insulting to fans but it was officially cancelled, what 2 weeks ago? I didn't hear a thing from the fans! The second I heard, I went to fanforums VM thread, not a word about it! That is a quiet exit!

Oh, there are pockets of VM fans here and there -- mostly guys who think that since Scif-Fi fandom can do anything to save a show, that they can save a show like Veronica Mars that, no matter how much I liked it, never was going to be renewed for another season revamp or no revamp.  I swear to god, I'm not knocking the show, but the fandom of VM seems to think that it's larger than it is or has ever been and they don't want to admit that they were never able to hold onto Gg's audience.  Meanwhile, Lauren keeps having to deflect Gg questions because massive interest in it remains.

SPOILER ABOUT CONAN'S INTERVIEW-

Well, I HAVE to hand it to Conan he was amazing the way he phrased his questions about Gilmore Girls and what the fans were feeling about it (I have a feeling he knows someone personally who has talked to him about their feelings of it) but Lauren seemed to veer off of answering him directly. She started off saying how it was really hard and then went into saying how she barely remembers what happened the last day of the show. Then she went on to explain how with 7 years she barely remembers ANYTHING from the show. She didn't get what the meaning behind the Monkey Lamp was but took it because a producer suggested it. She also explained how girls would come up to her and say: "Oy with the Poodles" and she wouldn't get what that meant.

I know that there have been, like, 6000 pages of scripts over the 7 years of the show, so I know that certain things about it *are* going to be hard for particular actors to remember (I've stage managed about two dozen shows in live theater and scripts get completely wiped from my memory the second the show ends, but then they come back as soon as I feel brave enough to watch the tapes of them again . . ), but there was no way that she didn't know what the Monkey Lamp was and/or why she took it.  I mean, come on.  There's no way that she doesn't remember *that.*

Then she totally went off the subject by diving into her relationship with Matt and Dunkin Donuts coffee. Um, I HIGHLY suggest with the daisy campaign a little letter explaining the significance behind the daisies reference because she probably won't remember that one either.  Roll Eyes

No no nononono!  We want her to come back to the show!   Tongue

I did notice that throughout most of the interview she kept on shifting in her seat, playing with one of her earrings and adjusting the strap sleeve on her dress... she was definately not as relaxed as she was on Leno's show. I think everything is starting to get to her a little.

Well, to be honest, Lauren really *is* that scattered in most of her interviews -- she's almost always an entertaining trainwreck of an interview, particularly with Conan and IMO given her energy in interviews on other subjects (like that TV Revolution thing a while back and observing her in the Making of Episode 100 stuff on the s5 DVDs), her natural state is to be bouncing off the walls almost as muh as I do.  By contrast, In her interview with Ellen in May the week after the cancellation was announced, she was *much* more lucid than she generally is.  Probably from the exhaustion of the negotiations.  But note the Freudian slip about Matthew Perry tonight, too.  Her anecdote about him joking with her proves the exact opposite of the point she was trying to make -- ie: Lauren (paraphrase): "There's so totally nothing going on between me and Matt."  Me (real response):  "Oh, yeah, well, then why are you so comfortable with telling jokes about Matt until you realize that you've said so much that you deflect even *that* anecdote into a Dunkin Donuts thing that goes nowhere?"

I never really thought about DP taking over for the writing, that's a good suggestion. One of my favorite episodes of his was "Blame Booze and..." and Amy can't take 100% credit for the entire show herself I'm sure Dan had some influence on the way the show went. With Amy seeming to have taken full reigns of "Return of Jezzebelle" what is Dan gonna be doing?

However, you also can't forget Rebecca R.K. who did a fair chunk of the writing for Season 7 and a lot of the good episodes with the characters being as close to their characters and they could get, not to mention good references. I think she could do a good job as head writer with help from Rina M. and Jennie Snyder.

Yeah, did Rina Mimoun's pilot go anywhere?  Isn't she doing Brothers & Sisters now, instead?  Haven't read where RRK is going yet.  But if you're in Hollywood and your current gig ends, you do have to find another gig as soon as possible -- unless you're deliberately taking a vacation (conversely, that's why Lauren is in the process of doing three movies in a row since Gg ended.)

We can't also forget there is a chance "Return of Jeezbelle" will flop so bad Amy while deciding to move forward with the GG reunion could be able to write 8 or 11 episodes to end the show on a good season the way it was meant to end. 11 episodes would fit nicely into everyone's schedule and wouldn't put as much pressure on everyone as if it was for 22 episodes. As a matter of fact if an 8 season would to go amazingly well my exteme wishful thinking is for a ninth season with 11 episodes... but we have a hard enough time with THIS season so I probably shoudln't get ahead of myself.

I'm interpreting the slotting of Jezebel James as premiereing in January as being a sign from Fox of no-confidence in that show, which is why I think that Amy suggested a Gg movie in the first place.  One more sign that I'm starting to think is going to be a problem for her show:  the title -- Jezebel James isn't a character on the show, it's the name of a character in the children's book that one of the two lead sisters writes.  *That* may be Amy being too clever for her own good for a brain-cell-challenged network like FOX, as their viewers are likely going to be so confused that they're going to keep waiting for the real Jezebel James to show up.  It's slotted for 13 episodes in the 2Q of 2008 (ie: Mar-to-May), which is essentially the same way that Drive and Raines were scheduled.  Those shows were originally slotted for 13 episodes and had their orders reduced midway through filming, with Fox and NBC essentially cancelling those shows before they even aired.  OTOH, JJ's Mar-to-May schedule would be the prime real estate time for an 8-to-13 episode season 8, leading the CW into May sweeps with an attention getting "return event" or whatever they would want to call it.

I also suggest maybe we should think of the 8th season airing during the next summer season because networks this season with reruns are getting SLAMMED by networks with new series airing now (IE: "America's Got Talent", "So You Think You Can Dance?", etc). CW has NOTHING at all and they could consider endorsing GG for an eighth season with 8-11 episode to air during the 3-4 months of the summer season and it would bring in LOTS of ratings. Just a thought.

In theory, it sounds good, but no network has the attention span to cultivate a scripted show during the summer.  The OC was a fluke that only happens once every fifteen years or so (the last time was Northern Exposure, which CBS attempted to burn off during two straight summers only to have fans and critics alike demand that it get a full fall season for s3. BID.)  I am liking both Traveler on ABC and Hidden Palms on the CW, but am greatly irritated that they both got only 8-episode orders -- I've realized that the reason why they're so low-rated is because the networks are, of course, treating them as burn-off.  IMO, summer isn't an option.  Midseason this year, yes, top of the season 2008-2009, yes (stranger things have happened, such as with Family Guy), movie, yes, but as a summer show -- nope.  Whatever we get, it ain't gonna be that.

-- Rob

--------------------
Season 8:  Because I keep wondering why Rory would go into Andrew's bookstore when she'd surely have a Barnes & Noble membership card with its 10 and 20% discounts helping her to buy more books.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:42:43 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: June 22, 2007, 11:54:38 pm »

Rob's Great 8 Mandate Welcome Post and Mail Primer

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  Well, heck -- Amy Sherman-Palladino has voiced interest in doing a 2-hour movie, and Scott Patterson, Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil have all three voiced reservations about the season finale being a series finale -- so it's clear that no matter how much time is passing, most people that are most important to the show (some of whom have even left the show) *do* want to keep it going.  So that's all the more reason to keep going, full speed ahead.   This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SIGN THE GREAT 8 MANDATE PETITION AT

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

It takes time for the news of any petition to reach the various parts of a show's fandom, so it willl take time and your recruitment efforts to get Gg's petition up to a reasonable goal.  I think that we, as fans of a top-rated show on a smaller network, should be able to raise well into the five-figures.  Post the petition link on message boards far and wide, put them into your sigs on non-Gg MBs, do the facebook-myspace stuff and spread the word by email.  Include a short note of "I signed the petition, please sign it, too." If we receive at least 10,000 unique, honestly-given signatures by the end of Comic-Con in late July, I'll extend my vacation to print them out and deliver them in person in LA to the offices of The CW, Warner Studio and the actresses' management teams.

SPECIAL NOTE:  Let the people you talk to know that signing the petition means that you simply want Gg to resolve in some way. If you think that it should finish with 13 episodes, which is our goal here, then great!  If you want only a 2-hour movie or think that a 2-hour movie is all that Gg fans can get, then great, too!  No one should be made to feel left out of signing the petition just because of what they think we can get!  Your signature can be accompanied by a comment, so you should mention your feelings and goals there!

OTHER SPECIAL NOTE:  Whether you've already signed the petition or are about to sign the petition, please click on the "Digg" social bookmarking link on the petition page -- you might have to register for Digg, but the registration process is fast and simple.  You may have to click on the Digg link at the petition again after registering, but in any case, once you get to the Season 8 petition page on Digg at:  http://digg.com/celebrity/The_Gilmore_Girls_Season_8_Petition , please click on the "Digg' button underneath the large ranking button at the left hand side of the screen and your Digg vote will be entered.  Then please spread the word about the petition and the Digg link.

2)  SEND SNAIL MAIL:

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the people who have the most potential to help are IMO, Lauren, Alexis and the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.  Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced, so I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

* BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):   DON'T mention salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

* ADD PAPER DAISIES TO YOUR LETTER:   Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

3)  SEND EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL

The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.   It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

4) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you (and in fact, a list of additional addresses that I've gathered is in the process of being proofread for me.  (My brain is fried.)   Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)  NOTE: at this time, Alexis may be in the most need of notes of encouragement to continue the series.

5) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

6) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.   It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

7) And send them daisies if you can.  Real daisies, paper daisies, polyester daisies.  Once per week, if you can afford it, twice a month, once a month.  A different person each time, rotating between Dawn, Lauren and Alexis -- and now, Amy Sherman-Palladino (yay!) and Peter Roth.

Cool There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) CONTACT ADVERTISERS:

Divine has set up a word document containing contact information regarding the various national advertisers who placed commercials in the series season finale.  The document can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/9907391-List%20of%20Advertisers.doc (NOTE:  This is an updated url.)   If you contact any of the advertisers, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following: 

* SPECIAL NOTE:  Certain Advertisers have been responsive and positive, some have been non-committal but given "We can't directly affect the fate of the show, but we value your input in how it will help us to determine how we'll choose to determine where we place our advertising in the future."  BOTH are positive responses. Even the non-committal responses probably mean that Gg writers are having an effect behind-the-scenes, so please contact advertisers whether you get the response you think you should get or not.

* Please be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings, particularly in light of how terrible the ratings are of Veronica Mars.  Don't otherwise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is alienating the viewership by cancelling both the high-rated Gilmore Girls and the low-rated Veronica Mars (whose fanbase is probably a subset of Gilmore Girls’ fanbase), doesn't it make sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls in order to retrieve  the goodwill of that viewership and thereby make The CW a much better outlet for your product?"

* Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

10) Write to this CW weblog at:  http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/2007/05/rumorville_a_gilmore_girls_tv.html   .   It asks about how you feel about the news that Amy is interested in doing a 2-hour movie version of the show.  I managed to swing the conversation a little in one of my own posts to the blog page, asking everybody to not take wanting to see a season 8 as a given and instead say if they'd want to see a season 8 rather than *just* a movie.

-- Rob

----------------------
Season 8:  Because Rory broke up with Lorelai for several months, but eventually came back.
Baby
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

~JavaJunkie~ & ~Literati~

View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: June 23, 2007, 05:09:49 am »

I couldn't watch the Conan's Interview. Can you please tell me when it is on youtube?
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: June 23, 2007, 05:20:42 am »

I couldn't watch the Conan's Interview. Can you please tell me when it is on youtube?
i just found that at fanforum: http://www.divshare.com/download/1047377-458
i hope it works  Wink

neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6476 on: June 23, 2007, 05:37:52 am »

I can't tell the difference between Amy & Daniel epidsodes... I think DP being a theoretical showrunner is a great idea, but Amy really seems to be the Pantsrunner over there Wink  Now that it's the "CW" maybe they'll work with the P's...? sigh...they wouldn't even work with what they had... why are people so stupid...?

If Jillian got her bumper sticker, I take it the Cafe Press store is up? Smiley I should be able to order some daisies over the weekend, I'm swamped right now...

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: June 23, 2007, 11:05:32 am »

I'm Going To Go See Evan Almighty today as a respite from the family reunion going on, so I'll be out of touch for several hours.  So I'm going to post the next edition of the Little Daisy Duke FAQ now.

The Litte Daisy Duke Campaign

MISSION STATEMENT: 

OUR ULTIMATE GOAL as The Great 8 Mandate is:  To change the minds of those who were involved in the collapse of the negotiations for season 8, to gently remind The CW and Lauren and Alexis that we think that virtually all of the show's complex storylines require one more season to be resolved.

THEREFORE, our overall goal with The Little Daisy Duke Campaign (LDDC, not to be confused with LCD, which is a hi-def form of television) is to send a gazillion party daisies to Dawn Ostroff, and to Lauren and Alexis in order to to get everyone back to the negotiating table in order to urge them to work one last time to revoke the cancellation of Gilmore Girls.  These daises, about 1 1/4" in diameter are made from authentic polyester, they look cool, and most importantly, they come in units of 250 daisies for $4.95 per unit plus shipping.   So we could conceivably now send a *lot* of these daisies in a campaign comparable to that of Jericho.

1)  We're not just sending them to the CW's doorstop.  We will be sending 1/3rd to the CW (Dawn Ostroff), 1/3rd to Lauren and 1/3rd to Alexis.  (Why not to Amy?  Because she's busy with Jezebel James.  We think that the other three will be the most effective targets of this campaign.)  We will be re-shipping them out of their orignal packaging in our own boxes.  The idea is to take each unit of 250 daisies out of their original packaging, fluff them up to put into these boxes and send them to the ladies.  There will theoretically be some settling of the fluffed up daisies in transit, so the boxes will likely be just slightly tight.

2)  As with Operation: Daisy Duke, these are yellow-colored daisies.  A sample of them can be viewed at the website that we'll be be buying them through, The Oriental Trading Company at:  http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=3/1218&mode=Searching&erec=3&No=0&D=daisies&Ntt=daisies&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&sd=YELLOW+DAISIES

(If anyone wants to tinyurl it, be my guest.  For some reason, I never have any luck with tinyurl.)

3) Unlike "Operation:  Daisy Duke," this is not a do-it-yourself campaign.  Since the shipping starts at a steep $6.95 for 1 unit if you buy direct from OTC yourself, we strongly urging pooling the money and having Heather buy the daisies directly from OTC (the great OTC rep I talked to recommended this idea herself).  The shipping charges decrease proportionate to your order the more units that you buy, so Any order above $200 will get the 10% shipping charge, which is the lowest discount they give for shipping in bulk.  And we're sure that we'll easily surpass that by, uh, a lot.  Sure beats 150% for the shipping of 1 unit.  Heather will be handling this project. 

4)  For each unit of 250 daisies you wish to contribute to the campaign, the cost is $5.50 ($4.95 + 10% for shipping) and a *one time only* donation of $2.00 to help pay to ship the daisies in boxes to Dawn Ostroff, to Lauren and to Alexis (ex:  1 unit = $7.50, 2 units = $13, etc.)    IN FORMULA TERMS:  COST = (X units times $5.50) + $2.00.  If you decide after you send her the money for X number of units (X times $5.50) + $2.00 and then want to add more units, it'll just be COST = (Y times $5.50).

5) The methods of payment Heather will accept are: PayPal, certified bank check/cashiers check; money order. 

@ Her PayPal is registered under [email protected].
@ If they want to make out a certified bank check or cashiers check or money order, they need to email Heather at [email protected] and she will give them her mailing address. 
@ And Heather adds, "If none of these methods work for people, I may be able to offer another alternative in the form of donating to my school account.  (Which you can do for the banner like you'd talked about -- I'll send you instructions.)  They'll need to contact me to do it."

6)  If you would rather buy the daisies yourself, you can buy them through the Oriental Trading Company directly and have them send the daisies to Heather herself.  As above, you will need to contact Heather at [email protected] in advance to get her mailing address.  Reminder:  This is not a Do-It-Yourself campaign (except that, well, Heather will be doing it all herself), this is a mass-mailing mission, so she needs to receive your order of daisies in order to send everything out at once. 

7) DEADLINE:  The deadline for this mission of the campaign will be June 29 at 3pm, when she will place the order.   The Daisies take about 8 working days to ship to their destination, so those of you who choose to buy the daisies yourselves should also buy them and send them to her no later this deadline.

Cool  There is no 8.  That's the point.

9)  Please spread the word of "The Little Daisy Duke Campaign" as far and as wide as you can, to freinds and family off the Internet, to other MBs and forums, to any small stores in your area that your friends might own that might want to support the campaign..  Some of the obvious boards are FanForum, the cwtv.com lounge, etc.  We don't want to annoy people, especially since there are people who post to multiple MBs.  But still, let us know hwerever and however you're recruiting people, which MBs it gets posted to and provide a link to this thread or to the Great 8 Mandate thread.  If you so desire, please copy this entire post to that forum. 

10) Keep recruiting for the Petition campaign at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate .  With the goal being 10,000 signatures by the end of July, we need to be averaging around 300 signatures per day and the pace has slowed down a little bit.  These shoudl be *unique* signatures and email address.

BONUS!  I've finagled a promise from Heather for her to post pictures of her packing the daisies for shipping when she receives them.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because there's an actor's strike looming for the summer of 2008, so it would be advantageous for The CW, Warner and the actors/cast/crew to have the steady income of a revival in long before the strike becomes an issue.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: June 23, 2007, 05:25:56 pm »

Brief Review:  Evan Almighty

Summary:  It's a remake of the tale of Noah's Ark, writ over a small area of the planet.

Is It Any Good as a Movie?:

It depends.  As I predicted earlier in the week, the studio made a huge mistake in commissioning a rewrite to make it a sequel to Bruce Almighty.  It's not that kind of a manic movie at all, so it's immediately handicapped by huge expectations regarding the type of humor that the original promised (Jim Carrey-esque gross-out humor) but the sequel never even intended to deliver because it's more of a pre-Gilmoresque family dramedy, using occasional outbreaks of slapstick humor as seasoning rather than its reason for being.

Evan Almighty is an hour and a half long, including the requisite long closing credits, which means that it's actually a relatively short movie.  Its main flaw is that despite its short length, It's leisurely-paced, paradoxically without feeling padded but to the point of being pokey and feeling like it's about an hour and 45 minutes, hour and fifty minutes long.  Its strength, however, is that it feels like a live-action Disney movie, of the late-60's/earlly-70's -- minus the bad acting (Wanda Sykes notwithstanding).  Anyone expecting the Steve Carell of The Office or The 40-Year Old Virgin will be disappointed -- it's not that kind of movie -- it's entirely genial, amiable, with pretty much no risqué jokes beyond a couple of scatological visual jokes regarding the animals (sort of a prerequisite for this kind of movie) and the typical dog-attacks-crotch humor of America's Funniest Home Videos (and they only repeat that joke twice).  IMO, it's definitely too slow for a 7-year-old or anyone with ADD, but it seems to be about right for a 10-12 year old who has yet to become cynical.  Worth the money as a lazy-weekend matinee, but I don't recommend seeing it at night at full price.

Is it a good film for Lauren/Gilmore fans?:

As far as it goes, yes.  Early reviews have actually actively distorted the size of Lauren's role as Joan (of the Ark) Baxter, Evan's patient wife, which, contrary to those reviews, is not a small part -- it's just not Lauren playing anything even remotely like a Lorelai part, which is what I think such mentions of Graham's roll being too small really mean.  Yes, she's playing the Wife role (or straight man, as she put it) -- more of, a plot device than a real character -- but Lauren is given a lot of screen/story time with which she valiantly tries to make Joan into a real character anyway.  As a family film, The Pacifier is much edgier than Evan Almighty, but the former film has waaaay less Lauren than Evan Almighty does.  The script actually fails both Graham *and* Carell by sanding off the rough edges of both actors, making their characters genial stereotypes rather than authoritative archetypes.  After you see Lauren play this stereotypical Wife role with such game restraint it makes you even more angry that Gilmore Girls ended.  You're going to dread seeing her essentially just as emasculated (or the female equivalent) as an actor in her upcoming three movies in which she plays a full series of Wife roles.   

One of the more egregious mistakes comes early in the movie when Lauren's Joan asks Evan if he ever prays, but otherwise, Joan is not depicted as being a particularly religious woman, not even as, say, a liberal Congregationalist.  We don't see her pray, we don't see her religious beliefs put to any test in any subplot that is *clearly* needed to play in counterpoint to Evan's skeptic.  We don't even see the bare minimum of the Baxter family saying Grace at the dinner table and thus the absence of such a subplot deprives the story of any thematic tension and it deprives Lauren of a storyline worthy of her time.  By the way, I say this as someone who's not particularly religious and actually uncomfortable with showing religious themes in movies because they tend toward the overkill in a 7th Heaven sort of way.  The movie's attempt to make the characters so universal (not NBC Universal, but archetypically universal) is disappointing because the evasions of religious themes other than the obvious Ark story seems even more cowardly than they usually do in this type of story.

Thus, we're left with no suspense whatsoever about whether or not Evan's biblical mission will work out. It almost seems to me like they're saying, "Evan is an elected congressman -- in this day and age, of *course* she's religious." But in a biz in which the rule is "Show, don't tell," the screenwriters seem to have been needed to have been told, "Show, don't expect the audience to *want* to extrapolate from weak implications."

The logline for Lauren's upcoming movie with Greg Kinnear scares me regarding her fate in the movie biz.  Flashes of Genius, the true story of how the inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper took his case to court, won and destroyed his marriage in the process already seems to be a non-fantasy version of the same story as Evan Almighty, except apparently without a happy ending.

Aside:  Speaking as a guy, Lauren has too great a figure (uhhhh, look at her posterior in tight jeans in a couple of early shots) to have been cast as the mother of three teenage boys, but OTOH, the role extends her reign as showbiz's sexiest MILF.  So what the hey, anyhow?

Rating:  2 stars out of 4, worth watching once at a matinee due purely to the performances of the actors (including the animals).  Makes me wonder if there's a better movie in what was left on the cutting room floor.

-- Rob

ETA correct several typos.

---------------------
Season 8:  Because we don't need to see Lauren in any more of the type of thankless role that she gives undeserved dignity to in Evan Almighty.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:21:33 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
gimoregirls1992ab
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

Oy with the poodles already!

View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: June 23, 2007, 09:29:48 pm »

i just found that at fanforum: http://www.divshare.com/download/1047377-458
i hope it works  Wink

haha, in the clip from the movie it says on september 22 he has to take the ark down, thats my b-day...sry for the random off-topic thing...

but ya, she did seem kind of antsy the whole time during the gilmore girls questions and very diverting...

It's hard to wait around for something that you
know might never happen but its even
harder to give up especially when its
everything that you ever wanted....
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: