The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:43:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1731084 times)
JillianLovesFood
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #6405 on: June 19, 2007, 05:26:36 pm »

It doesn't matter that there isn't (yet) an eighth season -- as a matter of law, they cannot read any unsolicited scripts of any kind at any time, especially when it has to do with the show.  The only way somebody could slip a script (or a book) to anyone connected to the show is if it's a spec script or a book they've been commissioned to write adn the only way that they could do even that is if they're represented by an agent and the agent is the one that passes it along.
*sighs* it figures. Undecided  It was really funny too so I was hoping Lauren would enjoy reading it for fun. Wink  Ah well, luckily I hadn't intended on sending more. Hopefully she at least read the letter.  Embarrassed

Heather's still working on the redesign and she's been a bit busy this week again.  When she gives me the go-ahead, I'll post the new information FAQ.
Okay, I just wanted to know since the Cafepress is on a tight schedule.

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6406 on: June 19, 2007, 06:30:49 pm »

I can't wait to see the new CafePress line! And, Rob- what did you buy then? I don't get it, but I do like to be teased! oh, that sounded bad... Roll Eyes

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
Imawl4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: June 19, 2007, 07:33:42 pm »

teavee.com update:

Current vote total is 30728. Rank is #9. (2812 away from #8 and 3337 ahead of #10)
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »

another undate for teavee

we r #9 - 30930

2738 away from us
3470 ahead from #10

But we need more help, Buffy still is way ahead of us and we need to show cw and others that we want gg's to come back in full swing or just one more season. so come over and join in the fun and help us here, thanks
neverapuff
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6409 on: June 19, 2007, 08:27:13 pm »

I don't know how to quote from a different thread... Roll Eyes but there's a post with an article from Glamour where Lauren does an interview and says that the decision to end the show was mutual; I find this interesting all of a sudden...

CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: June 19, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »

We've heard that many times before.
It pretty much means that she doesn't want to blame anyone else.

love is blind so you didn't see me.
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: June 19, 2007, 10:09:45 pm »

Rob,

Just curious... Do you have all your why there should be a Season 8 reasons listed together in a word document?  I had an idea, but maybe you have already done it.   Did you ever think about sending these reasons all together in a letter to Dawn, Lauren and Alexis, Amy and maybe some others?  Or put them together in an article about (for example) "The Top 100 Reasons Why Gilmore Girls Should have a Season 8"  may to be sent to fan magazines, etc.  Just a thought...Huh

I had actually done the first 60-70 of them in one post a long time back, but now I'm closing in on my 400th post, so the prospect of going back through them all kinds scares me right now.  Wink

@ neverapuff -- Can't say what I bought yet, and I can't say why as it will affect Heather's CafePress stuff slightly. 

@ neverapuff and CathyCoffee re: the Glamour article -- The lead time for articles for print magazines is generally about two months or so, which means that the Lauren Graham interview was probably done either 1) just before the cancellation was officially announced, but as a tie-in for Evan Almighty and then updated at the very last minute before the issue went to press to reflect the cancellation of the show or 2) more simply, it was added at the last minute.  One thing that none of the parties involved, Lauren, Alexis or Ostroff, have announced is *when* the decision to cancel (ie: when the last contract was rejected, prompting the CW to walk away from the negotiations) happened.  I'm not discounting the possibility that the decision to cancel the show was made a few days before the May 2nd announcement was issued (particularly since Lauren and other actors were already off doing movies for the summer), so Glamour may have had an inside scoop at the time.

But the important thing to keep n mind is that unless it's a weekly, like EW, the lead time is about 2 months, plus or minus a breaking news story.  And even weeklies like EW have a different lead time for different sections -- feature/cover articles may be filed months in advance for coordination with the release date of a movie, there may be a shorter lead time for *some* of the review section (although, really, they often get galleys for books several months in advance and promos of the DVDs a month or two in advance, the News & Notes section and the back page columnists seem to have a same-week deadline (I may be off on the columnists) and the letters page has about a 2-week deadline (I had a Gilmore letter published in January.  Sent on a Monday or Tuesday, got an email saying I was picked on Friday, then it appeared two weeks later.)

Thus, the Glamour article is *far* more out-of-date than anything Lauren might have said.  Also, the "mutual decision" may have been Lauren evading that who the cause of the mutual decision was.  It's certainly a mutual decision when Lauren and Alexis have an "If you go, I go" pact but that doesn't mean that the one necessarily *wanted* out when the other did, it's just that they had that pact (a mutual decision) going.  More likely, though, the "mutual decision" is just the common euphemism for the actor(s) and the network not coming to terms.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because if Lorelai's going to have twins, then a Jeep isn't very practical.
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:04 pm »

lasted update on teavee:

our total score so far is 31554 ranked #9

Buffy is ranked #8 they r 2331 away from us
ER is ranked #10 we r 3960 ahead of them

We need more votes in to gain. we have gained alot today, and we need to gain more.

If anyone wants to vote come on over and help us succeed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:10:42 pm by Ann » Logged
neverapuff
Town Resident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6413 on: June 20, 2007, 08:00:18 am »

Thanks,  Rob, for explaining the thingabout lead time...that is what was confusing me. And no pressure, but, I soooooo need a G8M totebag!

PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6414 on: June 20, 2007, 08:02:55 am »

Thanks,  Rob, for explaining the thingabout lead time...that is what was confusing me. And no pressure, but, I soooooo need a G8M totebag!

Wow a totebag.  That is sooooo cool

My New Website
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: June 20, 2007, 08:21:40 am »

The Litte Daisy Duke Campaign

MISSION STATEMENT: 

OUR ULTIMATE GOAL as The Great 8 Mandate is:  To change the minds of those who were involved in the collapse of the negotiations for season 8, to gently remind The CW and Lauren and Alexis that we think that virtually all of the show's complex storylines require one more season to be resolved.

THEREFORE, our overall goal with The Little Daisy Duke Campaign (LDDC, not to be confused with LCD, which is a hi-def form of television) is to send a gazillion party daisies to Dawn Ostroff, and to Lauren and Alexis in order to to get everyone back to the negotiating table in order to urge them to work one last time to revoke the cancellation of Gilmore Girls.  These daises, about 1 1/4" in diameter are made from authentic polyester, they look cool, and most importantly, they come in units of 250 daisies for $4.95 per unit plus shipping.   So we could conceivably now send a *lot* of these daisies in a campaign comparable to that of Jericho.

1) Besides the obvious references to the Dukes of Hazzard and to the episode "Love, Daisies and Troubadours," why these small daisies that aren't even real?  Because a) they're cute (and Gilmore Girls luuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvves them the cute stuff) and b) we can get them in large quantities.

2)  We're not just sending them to the CW's doorstop.  We will be sending 1/3rd to the CW (Dawn Ostroff), 1/3rd to Lauren and 1/3rd to Alexis.  (Why not to Amy?  Because she's busy with Jezebel James.  We think that the other three will be the most effective targets of this campaign.)  We will be re-shipping them out of their orignal packaging in our own boxes.  The idea is to take each unit of 250 daisies out of their original packaging, fluff them up to put into these boxes and send them to the ladies.  There will theoretically be some settling of the fluffed up daisies in transit, so the boxes will likely be just slightly tight.

3)  As with Operation: Daisy Duke, these are yellow-colored daisies.  A sample of them can be viewed at the website that we'll be be buying them through, The Oriental Trading Company at:  http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=3/1218&mode=Searching&erec=3&No=0&D=daisies&Ntt=daisies&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&sd=YELLOW+DAISIES

(If anyone wants to tinyurl it, be my guest.  For some reason, I never have any luck with tinyurl.)

4) Unlike "Operation:  Daisy Duke," this is not a do-it-yourself campaign.  Since the shipping starts at a steep $6.95 for 1 unit if you buy direct from OTC yourself, we strongly urging pooling the money and having Heather buy the daisies directly from OTC (the great OTC rep I talked to recommended this idea herself).  The shipping charges decrease proportionate to your order the more units that you buy, so Any order above $200 will get the 10% shipping charge, which is the lowest discount they give for shipping in bulk.  And we're sure that we'll easily surpass that by, uh, a lot.  Sure beats 150% for the shipping of 1 unit.  Heather will be handling this project. 

5)  For each unit of 250 daisies you wish to contribute to the campaign, the cost is $5.50 ($4.95 + 10% for shipping) and a *one time only* donation of $2.00 to help pay to ship the daisies in boxes to Dawn Ostroff, to Lauren and to Alexis (ex:  1 unit = $7.50, 2 units = $13, etc.)    IN FORMULA TERMS:  COST = (X units times $5.50) + $2.00.  If you decide after you send her the money for X number of units (X times $5.50) + $2.00 and then want to add more units, it'll just be COST = (Y times $5.50).

6) The methods of payment Heather will accept are: PayPal, certified bank check/cashiers check; money order. 

@ Her PayPal is registered under [email protected].
@ If they want to make out a certified bank check or cashiers check or money order, they need to email Heather at [email protected] and she will give them her mailing address. 
@ And Heather adds, "If none of these methods work for people, I may be able to offer another alternative in the form of donating to my school account.  (Which you can do for the banner like you'd talked about -- I'll send you instructions.)  They'll need to contact me to do it."

7)  If you would rather buy the daisies yourself, you can buy them through the Oriental Trading Company directly and have them send the daisies to Heather herself.  As above, you will need to contact Heather at [email protected] in advance to get her mailing address.  Reminder:  This is not a Do-It-Yourself campaign (except that, well, Heather will be doing it all herself), this is a mass-mailing mission, so she needs to receive your order of daisies in order to send everything out at once. 

Cool  There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) DEADLINE:  The deadline for this mission of the campaign will be June 29 at 3pm, when she will place the order.   The Daisies take about 8 working days to ship to their destination, so those of you who choose to buy the daisies yourselves should also buy them and send them to her no later this deadline.

10)  Please spread the word of "The Little Daisy Duke Campaign" around to other MBs and forums that have enthusiastic Gilmore supporters.  Some of the obvious boards are FanForum, the cwtv.com lounge, etc.  We don't want to annoy people, especially since there are people who post to multiple MBs.  But still, let us know which MBs it gets posted to and provide a link to this thread or to the Great 8 Mandate thread.  If you so desire, please copy this entire post to that forum.  Add another plug for the Petition campaign.

BONUS!  I've finagled a promise from Heather for her to post pictures of her packing the daisies for shipping when she receives them.

-- Rob

PS to Freya:  I'll edit it down a bit on my next pass.  Wink

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because I want to know who Logan's new boss in San Francisco is.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: June 20, 2007, 09:00:53 am »

Here are some statistics to consider when you're writing to Lauren and/or Alexis and/or Dawn Ostroff as part of the Mail Camapaign:  (most recent posting:  http://www.gilmoregirls.org/forum/index.php?topic=6630.msg349419#msg349419

These were from Smallville Magazine #20 (May/June) and are probably in some way comparable to the letter writing to Gilmore Girls:

Fan Mail recieved each season hrough the production office:  1,000
Percentage fo fan mail sent from overseas:  one-third
Who receives the most fan mail:  Michael Rosenbaum
Proportion of all fan mail sent to Michael:  one-half

@ I would think that the proportions would be similar regarding Lauren Graham.)

@ I think it's safe to assume that the number of letters sent to the Gg offices at the end of this season ended up being larger than this statistic due to the show's abrupt cancellation.

@ This obviously doesn't include anything sent through the network itself or anything sent directly to the actors via their own management/agency teams.  But statistically speaking, I would bet that the proportions would be the same if somebody tracked them.

Something to definitely think about regarding the whether or not letter-writing campaigns are worth it.  IMO, they are.  And if the Smallville offices were getting *so few* letters, then certainly any letter-writing, voicemail or petition campaign or any other campaign  is going to have an effect.  Perhaps later rather than sooner, but the more people we get, the bigger the effect and the more our chances rise.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because I want to see Lorelai throw a Moulin Rouge! Party.
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: June 20, 2007, 09:07:19 am »

Oh man, I'm totally exhausted from posting on TV.com about the petition. Alot of people there are 100% convinced there's no way in Heck for an eighth season and they have no interest in keeping up with GG if there was. I posted so much I think my fingers are about to fall off. Roll Eyes Tongue The CW message boards are more 50/50 about the issue. I really think we have a good chance at getting something going with these Daisy and Emmy Ad campaigns or at least having things in the CW's mind as the Fall season goes by and their ratings plumet except for Gossip Girl...  I'm pretty sure next season's ANTM and Smallville are going to hit lower ratings nect season too. I just hope there is more Gilmore Girls... in any form I'll take it but I definately pray for an eighth season miracle.  Wink

I know what you mean. I'm part of TV.com too and I'm also trying to tell them its not all a lost cause. I posted about the original Daisy Duke campaign a while ago and only 2 people actually cared about it. I wish they would just sign the petition - its not that hard! Stubborn people.  Tongue

Anyway I think I'm going to be able to send daisies after all! My mom's letting me use her credit card for Paypal (if i pay her back)! BTW, will anyone count exactly how many daisies will be sent? Just a thought.

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

Oh man, I'm totally exhausted from posting on TV.com about the petition. Alot of people there are 100% convinced there's no way in Heck for an eighth season and they have no interest in keeping up with GG if there was. I posted so much I think my fingers are about to fall off. Roll Eyes Tongue The CW message boards are more 50/50 about the issue. I really think we have a good chance at getting something going with these Daisy and Emmy Ad campaigns or at least having things in the CW's mind as the Fall season goes by and their ratings plumet except for Gossip Girl...  I'm pretty sure next season's ANTM and Smallville are going to hit lower ratings nect season too. I just hope there is more Gilmore Girls... in any form I'll take it but I definately pray for an eighth season miracle.  Wink

I know what you mean. I'm part of TV.com too and I'm also trying to tell them its not all a lost cause. I posted about the original Daisy Duke campaign a while ago and only 2 people actually cared about it. I wish they would just sign the petition - its not that hard! Stubborn people.  Tongue

Anyway I think I'm going to be able to send daisies after all! My mom's letting me use her credit card for Paypal (if i pay her back)! BTW, will anyone count exactly how many daisies will be sent? Just a thought.

@ Re:  TV.com -- I really want to say, "Well, what do you expect from a website whose architecture is sooooo freaking difficult to navigate?"  But I won't.

@ Re:  Those who think it's a lost cause:  Two words:  Farscape and Serenity.  Yes, the Gg actors's contracts have ended, but new contracts can always be drawn up.  Blueprints are always kept for archival purposes, Amy Sherman-Palladino seems genuninelly interested (if busy and not the person we should pressure) and Lauren keeps deferring to her (hence, Lauren am a much better person to persuade than Amy.

@ Precendents:  The Sopranos (more than one year between seasons and some of the following series have returned after excruciatingly longer waits than is usual for ongoing series), The Starter Wife (6-hour miniseries), Jericho (7-episode return with possibility for more), Roswell (renewed twice through fan campaigns), Cagney & Lacey (renewed THREE times due to fan campaigns), 13-episode seasons for various series on FX, USA and Sci-Fi channel, including The 4400, Eureka, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, Dirt, etc. and 12-16 episode seasons on HBO (Entourage, Deadwood, SatC, etc.).

@ Keep going at the posters at the CW.  If they're 50/50, then their opinions have started changing about the chances for a Gg revival, probably on the basis of the chance of a movie (let them know that Season 8 or bust means any sort of revival from a full season 8 to a 2-hour movie) and Lauren being more open to the probability of at least a movie in her most recent interviews on The Tonight Show and at GoldDerby.  Every other interview with her we've all read were taken *before* her Tonight Show and GoldDerby appearances, so she seems to be in the process of changing her mind to at least some extent.

ETA  The CW's comment line at 1-818-977-6878 was open yesterday.  Please keep calling it everyday and if the mailbox is full, it might be too early in the day, so keep calling it until you can get your once-per-day message in!

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Michael Ausiello snuck a Smurf onto the set of the Dragonfly for his brief cameo.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:36:12 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: June 20, 2007, 11:03:38 am »

@ Precendents:  The Sopranos (more than one year between seasons and some of the following series have returned after excruciatingly longer waits than is usual for ongoing series), The Starter Wife (6-hour miniseries), Jericho (7-episode return with possibility for more), Roswell (renewed twice through fan campaigns), Cagney & Lacey (renewed THREE times due to fan campaigns), 13-episode seasons for various series on FX, USA and Sci-Fi channel, including The 4400, Eureka, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, Dirt, etc. and 12-16 episode seasons on HBO (Entourage, Deadwood, SatC, etc.).

The Starter Wife is just a miniseries??

love is blind so you didn't see me.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: