The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:38:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1765739 times)
go_clo
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #6210 on: June 13, 2007, 10:10:35 pm »

Oh, CrazyMonkey. You critisize our campaign, yet you try to get us to go with your ideas?  Besides that, I just don't get what giving money to charity can do to give us an 8th season - which is what we're trying to do here. And you have obviously put us down. Saying Rob is doing a horrible job is just uncalled for. Oh and by the way, when you said "no one can confirm our efforts are being appreciated", look at Lauren Graham interviews. Yeah.

*sigh* It's a shame that some people just can't be positive.

Don't get down mandaters -  FIGHT! Do whatever you can!  Grin

Right now, I'm very concerned that no one from the show is acknowledging the daisies campaign or letter writing or know of our existence. In other words, our voice are not being heard. By setting up a charity fund on behalf of the show's actors, the actors will be notified of our existence when they are contacted by the charity itself that a donation is being made on their behalf. Besides, I'm confident that we will get press coverage from this.

Before our voices are heard, the powers that be must know of our existence. Right now, it feels like we are operating in the void.

I really don't get why we should listen to you after you insult us, our mandated and our current mandate leader.

Just so you know, we did come up with this idea already, we did plan on sending stuff to a charity group in the actresses name. We went so far as to find charity groups that the girls were involved in, some of us actually did send stuff but something happened that put a stop to our efforts. I don't know what but it did stop for a reason.

We know the network is getting the stuff, they just won't respond but they did respond and tell us they got our letters about The Great8Mandate! Kristen from E! sent something informing the network about our E!Online win and even she didn't get a reply! The network is just too busy and/or rude. People from fanforum arranged a postcard book project to send to Lauren, they sent it, didn't get a response and only just yesterday did they find out from a live chat they had for the GoldDerby that she received their gift. She expressed how thankful she was and how much she loved all the people that took part, she didn't reply before cause there were so many postcards in the book, she didn't know how to respond.

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: June 13, 2007, 10:21:22 pm »

just updating my progress with votings so far on teavee. we lost our 8th spot by Buffy taking over and whipping our butts, not many people on voting for suport of girlmore girls. we r now ranked at 9th spot with mcleods storming down on us, we r now only 309 ahead of them. our total vote is 21496 so far.

For save my show we r now 23908 with 97% votes

We need help to regain 8th spot.

neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6212 on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:23 pm »

Nuts got recognized, didn't they?

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: June 13, 2007, 10:59:45 pm »

all by my self now voting on teavee, have been now for 4 votes, losing and going backwards fast. we now stand at 21570 ranked 9, buffy is 526 ahead of us and mcleods is 288 away from us. we were at no 8 spot earlier on. but no one is voting much for gg's

Also save my show has now clicked over to over 24000 stands at 24006 at my last vote

if we mean business we need loads more voting to show CW we are a force that will win in the end?? hope u r agree?Huh
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: June 13, 2007, 11:15:02 pm »

Question: Since they are still running GG reruns, does anyone think that if the ratings are decent it will help the cause??

Its a good fix for me until season 7 comes out on DVD and I was just wondering if anyone had any gut instinct on how much it will help.

Certainly couldn't hurt.  The Gg reruns this season have generally gotten a viewership equal to about 75% of a NEW episode of Veronica Mars.  New episodes of VM scored only about 50-70% of new episodes of Gg and reruns of VM scored about 25% of a new episode of Gg and only about 60% of a rerun of Gg.  Given that Gg repeats well, it's not something that the CW should discount.

@ Jiillian -- I think your assessment of the Palladinos moving to NYC to do Jezebel James is accurate.  Sure, Lauren has stated that she prefers NYC to LA and therefore will likely have ample opportunity to talk with the Palladinos, but of all the people who could possibly have any leverage to revive the show in any way, the Palladinos IMO have the least leverage.  Not primarily because they left the show but because they're going to be busy with their own show.  It's a very different situation than Lauren having a couple of movies "lined up" and Scott Patterson having several movies "lined up."   "Lined up" isn't even as definitive an answer as a given actor being "attached" to a project ("attached" means that the actor is actively involved in the development of the project with the producers and may even have some say in bringing in writers and choosing directors).  Pretty much all of the actors are going to be more available than the Palladinos will be.  That doesn't mean we should discount Amy writing a 2-hour capper or co-plotting a potential short-run season 8,, it just means that, IMO, she's not the one to go to to make sure that it happens, which is why I was never interested in including her as a target of the petition.

Also, trying to find another network to take the show on isn't going to work.  It's convincing the CW, Lauren and Alexis to come back to the show -- nothing more and nothing less will get the show to come back in any way.

Interestingly, the only negative response anyone here has reported to me so far is that David Rosenthal returned a letter unopened to the writer, which suggests to me that *he's* so done with the show that he's very bitter about it.  But then again, even though *I* personally liked his storylines this season (particularly toward the end, but I also think that the Lor and Chris storyline needed to unfold for at least as long as it took to happen), I would think that most Gg fans would take his apparent bitterness as a good sign.

A couple of things to keep in mind:  crew isn't going to be too hard to replace in the case of a revival -- yes, ideally and hypothetically, the show would try to give preference to any previous crewperson who's in-between gigs at the time of any revival -- because, yes, they're part of the show's family, distant cousins, but still in the show's family nonetheless -- but crew are nevertheless behind-the-camera and therefore new crew can always be found quickly, especially in Hollywood.  And  I say that as someone who's done crew work in a lot of live theater, so I'm not denigrating the reality of being a crew person, I'm just describing what the reality of the job is.

As for gathering the actors back up -- it wouldn't be as difficult as it sounds at first glance because of one of the main strengths of the show -- that it's a character-based show.  Most of the actors, as annoying as it is, are character actors who DON'T get regular gigs.  Most of the recurring actors on the show -- those who weren't in the opening credits -- weren't even on long-term contracts with the show, they were all episode-to-episode.  Sally Struthers even noted in an interview around January that she was on an as-needed episode-to-episode basis and the show would always work with her to give her enough of a heads up to schedule their need for her around her other work such as guest appearances on other shows and her live theater work.  That's absolutely typical of the gypsy life of the character actor.  The actors who play Babette, Miss Patty, Gypsy, Taylor, Zach, Brian, etc.  All on episode-to-episode contracts.  It's only the longer-term actors such as all of those in the opening credits and the occasional longer-term recurring character such as Christopher or early-Logan who were on multi-episode contracts and yet not in the opening credits.

Thus, of the rest of the actors, the opening-credits actors -- Graham, Bledel, Bishop, Patterson, Agena, Herrmann, Weil, Gunn, McCarthy, Truesdale, Czuchry -- well, there's a lot more leeway than you might think at this point.  Logan's storyline was over -- Czuchry had been cast in another pilot, "Gravity" that had fallen apart early in pilot season due to lack of a showrunner and now is apparently poised to come in at midseason.  So Czuchry wasn't going to be an issue.  Several others are character actors who are -- and this is not in any way a knock on their talent, just the reality of their nature as character actors -- Gunn, Truesdale, Weil, Agena, Herrmann and even Bishop are unlikely to get major roles in other series.  They'll do one-shot appearances and short arcs and maybe even play recurring characters, but the fact of the matter is that in the case of the younger actors, they're back to the rounds of auditioning and in the case of the veteran actors, sending out their audition reels (compilation tapes of the work that they've done
previously because even as character actors, they're of the status that they generally don't have to do many auditions anymore.  They're generally offered the role without auditions based on the respect that their near-ubiquitous status brings them.  IOW, Herrmann already didn't have to audition for the part of Richard because of the level of experience and respect that he had in Hollywood at that time -- IIRC, by contrast, Bishop had to audition for the part of Emily, but there's no way in heck that she's going to have to audition for anything at the character-part level anymore.   But since the nature of character roles means that they're smaller parts and shorter gigs, wrangling them back to any revival of the show, whether as a shortened real final season or as a 2-hour movie, won't be difficult.

Melissa McCarthy is in the same category, but she's the rare sidekick actor who's gotten cast as a regular in another series (IIRC, Sam I Am?).  It's a rarity for her to have been able to make the jump to being a regular on another series, but a) the series is a sitcom and 2) there are ways to write around Sookie not being at the Inn, some of them natural progressions of the dangling storylines, such as Sookie having a third kid on the way and Emily having this spa idea.  As long as the new show let Gg borrow her for an episode (and shows often DO work together in thse sorts of situations), then her status is accounted for.

The only major question marks are thus Graham, Bledel and Patterson. 

Patterson has a series holding deal with Warners that in all likelihood overrides whatever movies he might have lined up if they find him a regular series gig during the duration of the holding deal.  Could be a new show, could be a s8 of Gg.  He was being looked at for two pilots, one of which fell apart (Babylon Fields, IIRC), the other of which he passed on to sign back onto Gg for s8 -- and moreover, it looks to me like that s8 deal was converted into the holding deal.  If Gg were to be greenlit again, his holding deal could easily be converted back to Gg, likely technically being the fulfillment of the holding deal.

So again, we're left with Graham and Bledel.  As you and I both observed, the end of the show seems to be finally hitting Graham and she appears to be more and more regretful of how it ended both in front of the camera (she is more explicitly admitting to the flaws in the season finale) and behind the camera (not getting to say a real goodbye to the cast and crew when they were all under the impression that the show was going to be renewed.  But then again, Ausiello always described her as the more amendable one to coming back.

Which makes Bledel the big question mark and plausibly the real cause of the renewal negotiations collapsing.  Can't blame Lauren for not wanting to do the show without her, but on the other hand it seems like the network was just simply too frustrated with trying to figure out a way to schedule the filming of the show that would account for Alexis's exhaustion issues.  Yep, I no longer buy Lauren's spin that she had the same exhaustion issues that Alexis had -- at least, to the same magnitude that they made their intial spin appear to be.  Lauren's exhaustion appears now to me to be simple End-of-the-Season Crash but beyond that, I'm not going to speculate on Alexis's exhaustion issues other than to say in generosity that I think she's made more than a few amateur missteps in the press over the past month.  Maybe if between the three of them, Ostroff (or her peeps), Graham and Bledel got together again and thought outside of the box and made some compromises -- such as perhaps, Graham could concede that the story would allow for Bledel to take a step back and not have to be in as many episodes as Graham does and Bledel could simply do (if only for the sake of her increasingly damaged career) whatever bare minumum that Graham and the network could concede that they would need her for.  Compromises can still plausibly be made if they want to make them -- and, frankly, the costs of reassembling the existing sets would be easier and better for the bottom line to amortize across the costs of another season of the show than across a 2-hour revival movie anyway, particularly since half of the sets were going to be gone at the end of this season and wouldn't need to be rebuilt *anyway.*  The restart-up costs would thus be comparatively negligible if a compromise can be made.

@ Jillian #2 -- We've got a couple of something bigs in development.  I've got to compose the FAQ for the OTC Daisy campaign (and the great part about this campaign is that it's relatively cheap).

@ crazymonkey -- The regulars here found your line of questioning how and why the money was spent to be rude and insulting because it was, in fact, rude and insulting.  You clearly have misunderstood that this is a grassroots campaign and that so far, most of the projects have been:

1) Self-generated by various members who have created their own projects -- such as taking suggestions of favorite quotes from teh show to make into their own letter -- that's basic, creative, personal and is the person choosing to spend her own time, energy and money on doing so.  Your questioning how she decides to spend her time, energy and money is rude and insulting and would *still* be rude and insulting even *if* you had any valid suggestions of your own.

2) Do-It-Yourself Campaign projects -- Operation: Daisy Duke, the letter-writing campaign, the voicemail campaign.  Again, these are entirely voluntary projects that are based on the individuals choosing to spend their own time, energy and money on these projects.  Your questioning how anyone decides to spend his/her time, energy and money on campaigns of these sorts is rude and insulting and would *still* be rude and insulting even *if* you had any valid suggestions of your own.

BY THE WAY, Lauren acknowledged on The Tonight Show that she's very touched (my paraphrase) by the amount of fan response she's received about the show since it was prematurely cancelled.  So, uh, since we sent mail and daisies and everything to her management team, we can totally be sure that our efforts were part of what moved her.  So frankly, your questioning how anyone decides to spend his/her time, energy and money on letter-writing and phone campaigns and other projects like these is rude and insulting and would *still* be rude and insulting even *if* you had any valid suggestions of your own.  Because Lauren herself debunked your notion that the fan response is having no effect on her.

3) Collaborative Campaign projects -- We've touched our feet into the water with Heidi's PayPal daisy campaign and photo album campaigns and Heather's Banner campaign, so your questioning how anyone would decide to spend his/her time, energy and money on participating in these campaigns are rude and insulting and would *still* be rude and insulting even *if* you had any valid suggestions of your own.

4) Massive Collaborative Campaign projects -- we've got two massive projects to more formally announce just as soon as we get to them (within the next two days) -- but, y'know, the more complex and the more massive the project, the more time it takes to assemble and do *right.*  Heather has had a family emergency to deal with and I've had migranes and eyestrain this past week (even before you got here).  Various regulars here already know what we have in mind since it's openly discussed here, so in this case, criticizing us for not doing more would *still* be rude and insulting even *if* you had any valid suggestions of your own, particularly since you've demonstrated your *own* ignorance of the situation by not reading the last 20 or so pages of posts before you mouthed off.

And my final two points: 

1) In the case of our campaign for a season 8, we're asking for a midseason revival, NOT a fall revival (even though I deliberately overshot when I wrote the petition that britni posted for me at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate .  So your impatience with the progress of the Season 8 campaign is IMO ridonkulously premature.  Furthermore, doing it this way kept us out of the way of both the Jericho onslaught (which had a longer lead-time because their impending cancellation was clear and definitive at least two months sooner than Gg's was) and the temperamental Veronica Mars fans who have never been willing to admit that their show had no chance whatsoever to get renewed due to its horrible ratings (Dead last among the network's scripted one-hours, with only three sitcoms having worse ratings among The CW's scripted programming overall.)  We have been lower key partly by design -- we never would have had the momentum to compete with Jericho's fans anyway due to how abruptly and how soon before the end of the season that Gg was cancelled.  And with Veronica Mars finally out of the way (note: I'm a Veronica Mars fan and I have the several 4 and 5 star ratings in reviews I've posted on Usenet to alt.tv.veronica-mars to prove it.

2) If you're so darn indignant about the way the campaign is being handled, where were you on May 2nd, when your arguments might have had a shred of credibility?  SInce it took you so long to find the Mandate even though, daaaay-ammmm, the Mandate logo link to this here forum has been plastered over *several* of the major Gg fan sites for *months* and even though several of the major TV columnists have plugged the Mandate on websites (zap2it's TV Gal, which has plugged us at least twice and some newspaper interviews that Heidi gave that escape me right now), you seem too horribly unaware of the fan effort to save the show to have earned the right to be so rude and insulting right off the bat in your first postings.

-- Rob

---------------------
Season 8:  Because intersting things could happen at one last Firelight Festival.
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: June 13, 2007, 11:26:53 pm »

well im done with voting for today. got to go home now.

i left it at teavee we r ranked #9 21639 votes
buffy heads us by 531
and we r ahead of mcleods by 321

save my show my last vote was 24060

hope we do better tomorrow and regain our thrown at #8 spot or better??

ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: June 13, 2007, 11:53:39 pm »

Before our voices are heard, the powers that be must know of our existence. Right now, it feels like we are operating in the void.

Yeah, well, I spent 20 minutes on Wednesday talking to a customer service rep for one of the suppliers that we're going to go through for one of our campagins that we're going to do -- I was just doing the research for Heather (and am going to write it up tomorrow/Thursday) -- and we just spent 20 minutes talking about Gg and about 5 minutes on the materials issue.

I also got the petition mentioned in zap2it's column on Monday and due to some awkward wording, she's going to try to run both the petition and the Mandate URLs in next Monday's column.

Oh yeah, and britni and I started a petition 8 days ago at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate .  It's got more than 1600 signatures so far, which IMO, is *great* for a CW/WB show that *isn't* a Sci-Fi genre show for only 8 days out.  I may deliver the petition personally to the targets' offices during my vacation to Sounthern California in late-July for San Diego's Comic-Con (Don't worry, Mandaters!  I'm taking my laptop with me and I'm already figuring out how to do WiFi for the first time in my life!)

Heather sent out dozens of press releases on the 1st.  We're probably due to send some more out around the 22nd or so.  I'll take a crack at this draft of the press release.  I'm thinking of titling it, (in large font) "Wanna Write About Something OTHER than Paris Hilton in Prison?"

If you feel that we're operating in a void, then you're just not paying attention.

@ tsmurphygirl -- Yeah, it's kinda tense in here right now, but IMO, no worries -- forums have their own personalities, up and down moods, anxiety, tension, depression, hilarity, just depends on where the conversation is going at any given time.  There's also IMO a cyclical aspect to it -- this wasn't the first tense conversation within the Mandate thread and I don't expect it to be the last, just as I know there'll be times were it'll just get silly and other times where it'll just get panicky (we had an outbreak of panic for about two days two weeks ago).  IMO, part of it is also different people getting the magnitude of the project at different times.

-- Rob

----------------------------
Season 8:  Because I want to know why the season 4 finale was called "Raincoats and Recipes."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:06:18 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
timtoy
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: June 14, 2007, 02:20:27 am »

Does anyone on the board write in French?  There is a website http://www.gilmorehouse.new.fr/
I looked thru it and didn't see any posting for the petition site.  Maybe someone who is fluent in French can post it or at least send an e-mail to the webmaster.

Thanks!

I have send an e-mail in French to the webmaster to post the petition link on his main page. I also requested him to write back or on this board so that you can all be notified.

Thanks!

Thanks so very much for writing to the webmaster!

Hello !  I added the banner for the petition on my site. (www.gilmorehouse.new.fr) If Ca interests you, veiled other suceptibles European sites to agree A to put. Gilmore Girls counts fans in Europe enormously.

Site:

www.gilmoregirls.de
 www.gilmoregirls-online.de
 www.gilmoregirlsweb.altervista.org

Bye bye
stracciatella
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: June 14, 2007, 05:16:56 am »

Does anyone on the board write in French?  There is a website http://www.gilmorehouse.new.fr/
I looked thru it and didn't see any posting for the petition site.  Maybe someone who is fluent in French can post it or at least send an e-mail to the webmaster.

Thanks!

I have send an e-mail in French to the webmaster to post the petition link on his main page. I also requested him to write back or on this board so that you can all be notified.

Thanks!

Hello !  I added the banner for the petition on my site. (www.gilmorehouse.new.fr) If Ca interests you, veiled other suceptibles European sites to agree A to put. Gilmore Girls counts fans in Europe enormously.

Site:

www.gilmoregirls.de

Bye bye

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're saying. Did you ask those three websites to post the link? Or are you suggesting we should?

ETA: By the way, thank you for adding the banner!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:39:55 am by stracciatella » Logged
stefou83
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:48 am »

Thanks!

Thanks!

Site:

www.gilmoregirls.de

Bye bye

Un gros merci Timtoy pour ajouter le lien sur ton site.

I also contacted another Frech website http://gilmoregirls.monrezo.be/GilmoreGirls/Gilmore_News.htm (Thanks to Frannie530 who found it).
The link to the petition was added very quickly by the webmaster. Merci.

Sign the Great8Mandate Petition: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Because Season 8 should start on Tuesday, January 8th, 2008
stefou83
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:27 am »

Thanks!

Thanks!

Site:

www.gilmoregirls.de

Bye bye

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're saying. Did you ask those three websites to post the link? Or are you suggesting we should?

ETA: By the way, thank you for adding the banner!

stracciatella,

I've just send him an e-mail to clarify his post. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Sign the Great8Mandate Petition: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

timtoy
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: June 14, 2007, 07:49:37 am »

Je n'ai fait que proposer les divers sites. Aucune demande n'a été envoyée.
:/

Are there belgium fan on the forum ?
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: June 14, 2007, 09:27:19 am »

Merci Timtoy!

I translated what Timtoy said at the following website http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Timtoy wrote:

"I did nothing but propose the various sites. No request was sent."

stefou83  Thank you so much for all your help getting the word out about the petition link. Could you please look at the other sites and see if you are able to e-mail the webmaster of the site about the petition link.

We need to look for other Gilmore Girls websites worldwide and get the word out about the petition.  The banner on Timtoy's website has brought signatures to the petition.  But we need people to look for sites.  If you find a site and can't speak the language or see any link to the petition, post the link to the board and we will find someone who can send an e-mail. 

Public Relations does a lot for a campaign.  It doesn't cost anything, just some time.

Keep looking for Gilmore Girls fan websites!

We have to show the CW, Warner Bros. and CBS, there are Gilmore Girls fans worldwide!

Fran

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:56:49 pm by Frannie530 » Logged
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: June 14, 2007, 09:54:15 am »

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2007/06/transcript_our__4.html

Theres the edited transcript from the chat with Lauren Graham at Gold Derby!

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
stefou83
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: June 14, 2007, 10:20:27 am »

stefou83  Thank you so much for all your help getting the word out about the petition link. Could you please look at the other sites and see if you are able to e-mail the webmaster of the site about the petition link.

So I wrote an English and French E-Mail to these sites bellow, but i'm not sure what will happen since 2 sites are in German and the other i think is in Italian or Spanish. Lets cross our fingers.

www.gilmoregirls.de

If someone on this board speaks German, Spanish or Italian, please send them an E-Mail as well. I think I should get back to work now... Smiley

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:21:36 am by stefou83 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: