The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:14:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1734575 times)
stracciatella
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« Reply #6075 on: June 09, 2007, 02:39:26 am »

Hey guys,

I've been gone for a couple of days and just read the last 10 pages or so and I have to say I'm really glad you guys decided to stick with the daisies. No offense, Rob, but I just think that we've already become somewhat known for our daisy theme and I don't think it would be wise to confuse people with something new. Especially something that's hard to understand, even for dedicated fans. Plus, I don't know how this prettystick sentence was translated into other languages (haven't seen the German version in a loooong time) but I can imagine that it was translated very differently, thus making it even harder to understand for international fans.

@Rob: You mentioned somewhere that we would send the daisies to Dawn, Lauren and Alexis. Why not send some to Amy, too? I think we should let her know that we want her words to be followed by some actions.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 02:41:31 am by stracciatella » Logged
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6076 on: June 09, 2007, 05:51:21 am »

I agree with Stracciatella, and I believe we should also send the daisies to Amy.She's the one that created the series,also wants to do a 2 hour movie and hopefully if we convince her she comes back for an 8 Season. Wouldn't that be great?

It's soooo hot in here..95 F..and I have to study...I want to go to the beach!!!

Chrissi
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: June 09, 2007, 06:02:37 am »

wow i wasn't here for ages...have to learn so much for my exams etc
i'm really happy you still mandate Smiley
did we get any answers concerning the (first) daisy campaign?
love, chrissi

...angel without wings
divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6078 on: June 09, 2007, 06:19:57 am »

Hi Chrissi,

good to see you back after some time! I hope all you exams went well so far?

Unfortunately, we didn't get ANY response .. neither from the network nor the actresses. But we wouldn't be the g8m if we already stopped here Wink  .. so right now, there are some things in the planning e.g. sending big amounts of 'unreal' (like silk or paper) daisies. Cause it's way cheaper and international fans can also participate.

We also have a petition going on right now which you can sign here (if you haven't already) http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate .. and please spread the word about it .. we're doing great so far (in my opinion), considering that we started the petition 3 days ago!

Heather (heatherkilpatrick) also created big banners and mailed them to D.Ostroff, L.G and A.B. as well as about 60 media packets.

I am sure, I forgot something right now, but it's hard to keep track with so many great ideas floating the thread Smiley

I just remembered that there's another poll on AOL going on right now, which also contains 3 gilmore-related questions (right now, GG is leading on all three questions) .. here's the link, where you can vote: http://television.aol.com/feature/tv-season-end-best-worst-poll
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:26:24 am by divine » Logged

Wonny
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:28 am »

German GG poll

http://www.myfanbase.de/index.php?mid=19

You must push the second botton
I would love to see a half eighth season Grin
Wonny
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: June 09, 2007, 07:07:00 am »

German article about Jericho.
There is standig that they get 7 more episodes and if they get more viewers than they get more episodes.
Wonny
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:12 am »

Oh forgot the side, sorry:
http://www.quotenmeter.de/index.php?newsid=20486
stefou83
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: June 09, 2007, 07:52:11 am »

Here it is in English:
http://www.tv.com/jericho/show/58068/story/9671.html?tag=gumballs;img;5&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs

Sign the Great8Mandate Petition: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Because Season 8 should start on Tuesday, January 8th, 2008
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: June 09, 2007, 09:19:33 am »

Rob's Great 8 Mandate Welcome Post and Mail Primer

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  Well, heck -- Amy Sherman-Palladino has voiced interest in doing a 2-hour movie, and Scott Patterson, Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil have all three voiced reservations about the season finale being a series finale -- so it's clear that no matter how much time is passing, most people that are most important to the show (some of whom have even left the show) *do* want to keep it going.  So that's all the more reason to keep going, full speed ahead.   This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1) NEW! SIGN THE GREAT 8 MANDATE PETITION AT http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate
  Jericho did about 114K signatures on their online petition in somewhere around a month's time.  Given that we just started and it takes time for the news of the petition to reach the various parts of Gg fandom it willl take time and your recruitment efforts to get it up to a reasonable goal.  Given Jericho's ratings (a bit more than twice what Gg's average is), I think that we, as fans of a top-rated show on a smaller network, should be able to raise well into the five-figures in about a month.  Post the petition link on message boards far and wide, put them into your sigs on non-Gg MBs, do the facebook-myspace stuff and spread the word by email.  Include a short note of "I signed the petition, please sign it, too."

SPECIAL NOTE:  Let the people you talk to know that signing the petition means that you simply want Gg to resolve in some way. If you think that it should finish with 13 episodes, which is our goal here, then great!  If you want only a 2-hour movie or think that a 2-hour movie is all that Gg fans can get, then great, too!  No one should be made to feel left out of signing the petition just because of what they think we can get!  Your signature can be accompanied by a comment, so you should mention your feelings and goals there!

2)  SEND SNAIL MAIL:

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the people who have the most potential to help are IMO, Lauren, Alexis and the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.  Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced, so I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

* BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):   DON'T mention salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

* ADD PAPER DAISIES TO YOUR LETTER:   Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

3)  SEND EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL

The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.   It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

4) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you (and in fact, a list of additional addresses that I've gathered is in the process of being proofread for me.  (My brain is fried.)   Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)  NOTE: at this time, Alexis may be in the most need of notes of encouragement to continue the series.

5) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

6) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.   It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

7) And send them daisies.  Real daisies, paper daisies, polyester daisies.  Once per week, if you can afford it, twice a month, once a month.  A different person each time, rotating between Dawn, Lauren and Alexis -- and now, Amy Sherman-Palladino (yay!) and Peter Roth.

Cool There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) CONTACT ADVERTISERS:

Divine has set up a word document containing contact information regarding the various national advertisers who placed commercials in the series season finale.  The document can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/9907391-List%20of%20Advertisers.doc (NOTE:  This is an updated url.)   If you contact any of the advertisers, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following: 

* Please be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings, particularly in light of how terrible the ratings are of Veronica Mars.  Don't otherwise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is alienating the viewership by cancelling both the high-rated Gilmore Girls and the low-rated Veronica Mars (whose fanbase is probably a subset of Gilmore Girls’ fanbase), doesn't it make sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls in order to retrieve  the goodwill of that viewership and thereby make The CW a much better outlet for your product?" 

* Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

10) Write to this CW weblog at:  http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/2007/05/rumorville_a_gilmore_girls_tv.html   .   It asks about how you feel about the news that Amy is interested in doing a 2-hour movie version of the show.  I managed to swing the conversation a little in one of my own posts to the blog page, asking everybody to not take wanting to see a season 8 as a given and instead say if they'd want to see a season 8 rather than *just* a movie.

11)  AOL is currently doing a Best and Worst of TV 2007 poll at:  http://television.aol.com/feature/tv-season-end-best-worst-poll .  There are twenty questions, three of them (including question #20) have Gilmore Girls-related choices.  The winners are going to be announced on June 18th, so until the vote actually closes, vote early, vote often!

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because anything less would be uncivilized.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:19:29 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
Chrissi
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: June 09, 2007, 10:09:04 am »

@divine: thanks you so much more the information Smiley
till now my exams went quite well i think (we'll get the results in a few weeks)
next week it's biology,englisch and maths

btw i signed the petition

love,chrissi

...angel without wings
Mak
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:35 am »

DAISY CHAIN RECAP

I posted this idea above of using the polyester yellow daisies Frannie suggested, or other yellow daisies, to make a small daisy-chain (great flower-power and love symbol!), then tie this around a tree (sort of like the "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" song: a great symbol of HOPE and TRUST IN THE RETURN OF SOMEONE, why not SOMETHING = Gilmore Girls!!). You could also stick a card on there, near that chain, personalizing your very own tree (people have been making such beautiful sigs  and cards with daisies and messages of love etc ....) . Then make a photo of that tree (in your garden, near your house, in front of a famous monument in your neighbourhood...), either alone, or with you sitting under it, reading a book (remember Rory's study-tree!!), and then we could collect these photos on some web-site, and make them into a huge mosaic of all the G8M mandaters, SORT OF A QUIRKY VISUAL PETITION.

@ROB
You say that idea is too complicated. I say WHAT? If making a daisy-chain and a photograph is already too complicated (you take some daisies (fabric, paper or real ...), some string and a needle, a little dedication and it practically makes itself!), what will you say of things to come? Come on! You seem also convinced now that we should go massive, like the Jericho people, and I totally agree, but does that mean we have to ape them literally? The Veronica Mars people are already collecting money for Mars bars and are way ahead in their fund-raising, now our daisies ... YES I think banding together and sending them heaps and heaps of daisies is the way to go, but couldn't we ADD SOMETHING EXTRA AND CREATIVE (still keeping it stream-lined)? And by the way, after taking that photograph (A NICE SOUVENIR too, that you and your personal RORY/DAISY TREE were a part of this campaign), you can take the chain apart and still send those daisies.
PLUS  it could even turn out to be a great marketing tool: what if the G8M-ers started leaving daisy-chains around trees in their own neighbourhood and cities, near press offices and elsewhere, perhaps with the initials GG attached but keeping it mysterious. TEASING, WAKING PEOPLE's CURIOSITY, BUILDING SUSPENSE is a CLASSIC MARKETING DEVICE. If we can get enough people to do this, it will get noticed, people will start wondering what these yellow daisy-chains around trees are all about, then the day you deliver your truckloads of daisies to the CW etc., interest will be that much higher!!!

CHARITY RECAP
I also mentioned the desirability to link these thousands of daisies with a charity donation, that is, to spend half (or more?) of the money collected on a check that we could go and hand over to the actresses. I mentioned the campaign to fight breast-cancer and First Book, because these are the charities closest to Lauren and Alexis's heart. It would make us look good, it would make them look good!!!! we could work together with the people involved in those charities and see how we can get the most publicity out of it. It would be a WIN-WIN-WIN situation

@ HEATHER: you say most people don't have enough money to donate to charity. I say WHAT? You can give half a dollar for GG, half a dollar for the charity, is that too much for most people? (I'm sure many have already spent lots more on stamps and daisy stickers etc.) If that's what you can give, that's what you should give, nothing more, nothing less. I think we can make this work, for everybody involved!!!!!!!!

Anyway, won't bother ( Wink) y'all again with my ideas, I'm off on holiday. Hope things work out and we can get our act together soon!

Sf49rminer
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: June 09, 2007, 10:25:35 am »

make sure that when you sign the petition you also use the social bookmarking sites to help spread the word virally.  What is social bookmarking and why is it important to our PR efforts?  I'm reposting an article a friend of mine wrote for our PR chapter:

Digging is a lot of fun.
Digg is a social bookmarking site that allows you to control the content that you receive, and help others see stories that you think are important.  Here’s how it works.  You see a story on the web that you like, and you “digg” it.  Many sites have buttons that allow for instant submission; otherwise, you can create a new digg from the website. Once a story is “dugg”, it appears on the website.  Users can the vote to either “digg” the story themselves, or bury it.  The more “diggs” or votes the story receives, the higher its placement on the website. Hot stories can receive thousands of diggs and be prominently featured on the website for weeks.
You can customize your preferences to many different subcategories of news, or view all stories.

Two other websites that prominently use social bookmarking that you probably already use are YouTube and Flickr. These sites bump up most viewed videos and stories more prominently so more people can see them. The concept is the same.

Finally, a truly original application of this technology is called StumbleUpon http://www.stumbleupon.com. There is a little more knowledge needed on the setup of StumbleUpon, but I guarantee you, the payoff is worth it. StumbleUpon is actually an integration into your existing browser.  Go to www.stumbleupon.com and download the appropriate version.  After that, you’ll be asked to create a user name and password. Then, you simply choose a few topics you enjoy and click the new “Stumble” button on your browser toolbar.

What the tool does is randomly take you to a page it thinks you will like, based on your preferences.  When you reach a site, you can give it thumbs-up or thumbs-down, or simply do nothing.  If you rate a page, Stumble uses that information to build a profile of pages you might like, and pages you might not like, based on users with similar preferences. Within a few days of Stumbling, you will find several new and interesting sites you may have never seen had it not been for this tool.  Trust me on this one, it’s my favorite tool online, and you can contact me personally if you are having problems, and I’ll help you through the setup.

So what does all of this have to do with PR?
Everything. Major news sites are already tinkering around with their own versions of social bookmarking. Digg is the 5th most visited website in the world.  Yahoo, the most visited site, is revamping their My Yahoo homepage to incorporate social bookmarking and RSS (another article, another day).  If we want our information consumed online, we must, as an industry, learn to take advantage of social bookmarking.  So what can we do?

Be a consumer.  This has always been the case for PR.  Know your audience and the medium.  If you are behind the times, it’s time to play catch up.
Learn the Language.  Unfortunately, content is not always king online. One look at Fark www.fark.com will show you that all you really need is a great punchline to get people to view your story.  Many television stations around the country have figured this out.
Embrace the Technology.  When I worked at First Coast News, we were on the cutting edge of social bookmarking at the time.  Now, every story includes a link to all of the major social bookmarking pages including digg, del.ico.us, Yahoo, Fark, The Drudge Report, and more. This is something easy that you can add as a tag on your websites or on your press releases.
At First Coast News, our success story was the story of Juliana, the First Coast Girl “Born Without a Face.”  (Original story here www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news-article.aspx?storyid=28372. This story got bookmarked on The Drudge Report, and became the most viewed story in First Coast News history.  The story became the most viewed web story in Gannett Broadcasting that year, and has led to an international documentary on Juliana and her family, hundreds of thousands of dollars in support for medical procedures and family accommodations.  One person’s decision to bookmark that story has changes countless lives.

So get out there, start bookmarking, and add this intriguing new technology to your PR toolkit. I don’t have any idea just where the web or computers will be in 20 years, but I do know that if Mrs. Pugh were here right now, she’d say “I told you so!”
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: June 09, 2007, 10:30:51 am »

@Rob for some reason the petition link in the welcome post still isn't working.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: June 09, 2007, 11:02:46 am »

Can more than one person from the same house sign the petition, even if its the same IP address?
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: June 09, 2007, 11:34:48 am »

German GG poll

http://www.myfanbase.de/index.php?mid=19

You must push the second botton
I would love to see a half eighth season Grin

Is there a link to the petition on the forum on this site?
If not, could someone who speaks and writes German post it.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: