The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 03:01:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1765561 times)
Sabrina_mx
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6060 on: June 08, 2007, 03:29:42 pm »

Oh sorry, I read the post and I corrected the link  Smiley
So i signed the petition! Grin
I feel better now that I did something to get more GG!!! hehe
xoxo
Sabrina
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:33:20 pm by Sabrina_mx » Logged

Angel... You've got wings babe!!
I want GG back!!!
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: June 08, 2007, 03:59:26 pm »

On the Polyester Daisy Idea:

NEW SUGGESTION:

1/3rd to Alexis
1/3rd to Lauren
1/3rd to Dawn.

Delivery to all three on the same day

Intersperse Mandate logos among the daisies.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because I want to see if Luke will ever get matching tables for the Diner.
Mafe153
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: June 08, 2007, 04:35:47 pm »

Hi! I would love to help bring back Gilmore Girls. The problem is that I live in Costa Rica. What can I do from here? I already signed the petition!
Any suggestions, email me at [email protected]
theladyjedi
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: June 08, 2007, 05:09:21 pm »

I think it important that we come up with a real innovative way to present the daisies and not just send them off in a box or boxes. It would be good if there could be some press coverage.
Let us brainstorm some ways to present the daisies so they seem as many as possible and make the best possible impression.
I don't think a lot of little packages sent from different people would be as impressive as all sent at once.
 Perhaps someone personally delivering the daisies should be considered rather than mail.
What if the daisies were fastened together, how long a string would each 1000 make? If there were enough daisies to make a really long string, say a block, you might be able to get press coverage of the delivery of that many daisies.
What other innovtive ways could there be to delivery the daisies rather than just in a box?
       Darlene    theladyjedi
Mak
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: June 08, 2007, 06:06:41 pm »

So many daisies on the brain I can't sleep.....

Few more ideas

@ theladyyedi: glad you're feeling like me that we should go for a BIG CREATIVE STATEMENT and PRESS COVERAGE instead of letting those daisies trickle in one day at a time. I thought about doing a giant daisy chain too, but just imagine the trouble of unwinding that thing on the spot, it could get embarassing rather than a great stunt. However,  as a FLOWER-POWER symbol it's pretty nice, so here's what I came up with

In case we decide on people ordering their own paper, silk or polyester daisies and sending them from their own homes (to Lauren etc. or to our own coordinator(s)), why not let everybody MAKE A DAISY-CHAIN, THEN TIE IT AROUND A TREE (as in "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree...": SYMBOL OF OUR HOPE FOR GG'S RETURN) and MAKE A PHOTO OF YOURSELF (and your friends) SITTING AGAINST THAT TREE (reference to RORY's STUDY-TREE), maybe stick an I Heart GG card on their as well, THEN POST THAT PHOTO TO A SPECIAL SITE (Heidi's new website?) SO WE CAN MAKE A HUGE RORY-TREE/DAISY MOSAIC with photos of all us GG fans, making the daisy thing more personal. If you don't like to post your face on the web, be creative, put on a baseball cap to hide under or something  Wink ... And after the photo, you can still mail those daisies ....

@ Frannie
I checked out the 2$ daisy bouquets: they're cute as can be (but very small)

@ ROB, HEATHER and everybody else
I think it would be a great idea to pool everybody's money, take our time to get a respectable amount, then USE HALF OF IT TO SEND TO A CHARITY OF LAUREN's or ALEXIS's choice, I believe Fighting Against Breast-Cancer for Lauren and First Book (books for disadvantaged kids) for Alexis would be a good idea. Cause let's face it, bags full of polyster daisies can be construed as junk and a nuisance, but if they come with a NICE CHECK IT WILL MAKE US LOOK GOOD AND THE ACTRESSES AS WELL. I think it would definitely strike a chord with them!!!!

neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6065 on: June 08, 2007, 06:08:20 pm »

I love the constant brainstorming! I'm so jealous the Jericho 'Nuts' got organized so quickly, so an idea with such a huge committment, and already got their response and the outcome they wanted...and its a first season show....wow...  Are we stuff in the Daisy Rut? Don't get me wrong- daisies are my favorite thing of all, and I do like the idea of a Daisy Chain...but maybe there is something catchy we could do with Coffee...Huh  Also, I like the idea of targetting Lauren (and Dawn).  And Corporate sponsorship or at least cooperation, is always helpful...

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: June 08, 2007, 06:45:04 pm »

Few more ideas

@ theladyyedi: glad you're feeling like me that we should go for a BIG CREATIVE STATEMENT and PRESS COVERAGE instead of letting those daisies trickle in one day at a time. I thought about doing a giant daisy chain too, but just imagine the trouble of unwinding that thing on the spot, it could get embarassing rather than a great stunt. However,  as a FLOWER-POWER symbol it's pretty nice, so here's what I came up with

In case we decide on people ordering their own paper, silk or polyester daisies and sending them from their own homes (to Lauren etc. or to our own coordinator(s)), why not let everybody MAKE A DAISY-CHAIN, THEN TIE IT AROUND A TREE (as in "tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree...": SYMBOL OF OUR HOPE FOR GG'S RETURN) and MAKE A PHOTO OF YOURSELF (and your friends) SITTING AGAINST THAT TREE (reference to RORY's STUDY-TREE), maybe stick an I Heart GG card on their as well, THEN POST THAT PHOTO TO A SPECIAL SITE (Heidi's new website?) SO WE CAN MAKE A HUGE RORY-TREE/DAISY MOSAIC with photos of all us GG fans, making the daisy thing more personal. If you don't like to post your face on the web, be creative, put on a baseball cap to hide under or something  Wink ... And after the photo, you can still mail those daisies ....

This is a great idea in theory, Mak and ladyjedi, but in practice, the more elaborate you make it, the less likely a person is to go through with it (or, IOW:  Keep It Simple, Stanford).  The large part of the reason that the Jericho nuts campaign was so effective was because they bought as many nuts as they could and had them delivered, period.  Sure, if we could, we'd want to add some Lorelai-ish flair, but IMO the daisies *are* that Lorelai-ish flair the same way that the nuts are Jericho-ish.

@ ladyjedi -- Corporate sponsorship isn't possible.  The advertisers don't get directly involved as a matter of policy.  The write-in campaign to the advertisers is more to get them to know that we think that The CW is going in the wrong direction *because* they allowed Gg to slip through their fingers and *because* they've multiplied that problem with a terrble fall schedule.  Sometimes you get an interesting, unexpected response, as when Kellogg's representative wrote back to JillianLovesFood saying directly that they were disappointed with the cancellation of the show.  That type of a response actually exceeds expectations and strongly suggests that continuing to write to advertisers, even when they give more ambiguous responses such as "We can't get directly involved, but your input is valuable and we're sending your letter to the appropriate department so that it will help us with our advertising choices in the future" will have significant impact on the network even if we never see 99% of it.  Yes, it's a shot ni the dark, but it's a pretty big target, so you can hit it easily even if you can't see exactly where on the target you hit it.

I think it would be a great idea to pool everybody's money, take our time to get a respectable amount, then USE HALF OF IT TO SEND TO A CHARITY OF LAUREN's or ALEXIS's choice, I believe Fighting Against Breast-Cancer for Lauren and First Book (books for disadvantaged kids) for Alexis would be a good idea. Cause let's face it, bags full of polyster daisies can be construed as junk and a nuisance, but if they come with a NICE CHECK IT WILL MAKE US LOOK GOOD AND THE ACTRESSES AS WELL. I think it would definitely strike a chord with them!!!!

I can't address this point right now other than to say that I can't address this point right now.   Wink

@ Mafe153 -- since you're in another country, you can still write snail mail letters to any of the addresses that I included in my Welcome post a page or two back (I also repost it with typos fixed and/or new typoes perpetrated every 5-6 pages or so).  Yes, writing a snail mail letter takes longer, but it's *much* more effective than email and, moreover, something that *everybody* should continue to do.  Often.  Write as often as you can afford, write to different person on the list, Alexis, Lauren, Dawn, etc. each day or every other day, write something new, such as something you like about the show, even down to a particular episode, each time.  Be polite, don't vent.  Keep it down to one side of one page per letter and think of each time you send a letter to a particular person as, say, another installment of a larger letter you want to send to that person, just in one-page installments (don't literally put chapter titles on each one).  Just write from the heart and write often.   

-- Rob

---------------------------------
Season 8:  Because I almost missed the Milan Kundera reference and I get almost ALL of the references on the show.  (BTW, the Kundera reference is a very sly one for the show to use thematicallly.)
heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: June 08, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »

Hey everyone,

As far as the polyester daisies go, I think this is our BEST BET.  I respect the concept about pooling money for a charity check, but people don't have that kind of money.

I also need you all to keep this fact in mind: Rob and I have developed a REALLY COOL fundraiser for the FYC Ad concept, but I can't get it all together 'til tomorrow night.  So hold your horses for the because that will require a little more cash contributions.

Other wise -- Frannie and I are going to collaborate and get in touch with Oriental Trading to talk to them about something like this.  @ Frannie, I am comfortable writing the letter to them. 

I will let you all know as soon as I hear anything back and what the plan is.

Thanks guys!
--Heather

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
tsmurphygirl
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: June 08, 2007, 07:10:17 pm »

Lauren will be on the Tonight show with Leno on the 12, I don't think we'd have too much time to pull something off there.....however, she will be on the Today Show on the 19th.  Would it be possible to have a ton of daisies delivered to her there?  Would it be enough to bring attention to the Great 8 Mandate?  Enough for them to mention us and get even more people watching involved?
theladyjedi
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: June 08, 2007, 07:17:58 pm »

Important - Visit these two sites and all the links. It will show you what the Veronica Mars fans are doing. Everything they are doing now concerning CW is going to the same places ours are.
       veronicamarsmovie.com

saveveronicamars.tv

Darlene   theladyjedi
theladyjedi
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: June 08, 2007, 07:24:40 pm »

Few more ideas

This is a great idea in theory, Mak and ladyjedi, but in practice, the more elaborate you make it, the less likely a person is to go through with it (or, IOW:  Keep It Simple, Stanford).  The large part of the reason that the Jericho nuts campaign was so effective was because they bought as many nuts as they could and had them delivered, period.  Sure, if we could, we'd want to add some Lorelai-ish flair, but IMO the daisies *are* that Lorelai-ish flair the same way that the nuts are Jericho-ish.

@ ladyjedi -- Corporate sponsorship isn't possible.  The advertisers don't get directly involved as a matter of policy.  The write-in campaign to the advertisers is more to get them to know that we think that The CW is going in the wrong direction *because* they allowed Gg to slip through their fingers and *because* they've multiplied that problem with a terrble fall schedule.  Sometimes you get an interesting, unexpected response, as when Kellogg's representative wrote back to JillianLovesFood saying directly that they were disappointed with the cancellation of the show.  That type of a response actually exceeds expectations and strongly suggests that continuing to write to advertisers, even when they give more ambiguous responses such as "We can't get directly involved, but your input is valuable and we're sending your letter to the appropriate department so that it will help us with our advertising choices in the future" will have significant impact on the network even if we never see 99% of it.  Yes, it's a shot ni the dark, but it's a pretty big target, so you can hit it easily even if you can't see exactly where on the target you hit it.

I can't address this point right now other than to say that I can't address this point right now.   Wink

@ Mafe153 -- since you're in another country, you can still write snail mail letters to any of the addresses that I included in my Welcome post a page or two back (I also repost it with typos fixed and/or new typoes perpetrated every 5-6 pages or so).  Yes, writing a snail mail letter takes longer, but it's *much* more effective than email and, moreover, something that *everybody* should continue to do.  Often.  Write as often as you can afford, write to different person on the list, Alexis, Lauren, Dawn, etc. each day or every other day, write something new, such as something you like about the show, even down to a particular episode, each time.  Be polite, don't vent.  Keep it down to one side of one page per letter and think of each time you send a letter to a particular person as, say, another installment of a larger letter you want to send to that person, just in one-page installments (don't literally put chapter titles on each one).  Just write from the heart and write often.   

-- Rob

---------------------------------
Season 8:  Because I almost missed the Milan Kundera reference and I get almost ALL of the references on the show.  (BTW, the Kundera reference is a very sly one for the show to use thematicallly.)

Rob, I think perhaps you intended to answer someone else as I didn't mention corporate sponsorship.

Darlene      theladyjedi
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: June 08, 2007, 07:30:57 pm »

Lauren will be on the Tonight show with Leno on the 12, I don't think we'd have too much time to pull something off there.....however, she will be on the Today Show on the 19th.  Would it be possible to have a ton of daisies delivered to her there?  Would it be enough to bring attention to the Great 8 Mandate?  Enough for them to mention us and get even more people watching involved?

Well, as for being on the Today Show on the 19th, if SOMEBODY in the NYC area doesn't organize a campaign to carry signs across the windows the entire four hours (or until after whenever Lauren's interview is) and to pass out, say, Mandate logo stickers or whatever, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.  Wink  Also, if she's going to be in NYC on the 19th, be sure to be on the lookout for her to hit some of the other NYC-based shows around the same time -- The View, Regis, The Daily Show.  Evan Almighty is a Steve Carrell movie, don't forget and she's never done TDS before, so it would be very interesting to see who would win in a battle of experts in obscure pop-culture and literary references, Lauren or Jon.

As for the Tonight Show on the 12th.  I don't know if Leno only tapes same-day or if he tapes 2 days at a time, so Lauren could even be taping her Tonight Show appearance for Tuesday on Monday.  If there's someone in L.A. who could do the fieldwork, please find out when she's going to be taping her appearance and if there's any way to get tickets for the taping (it may have been sold out long before she was listed as the guest), maybe you'd be able to get in and if she says "it was time" one more time, just yell "NO WAY!" "NO, IT'S NOT!"  "We Want Lorelai!  "Oy With the Poodles Already!" 

@ ladyjedi:  You're right on the corporate sponsorship thing.  It's actually @ neverapuff.  Apologies to both of you!

-- Rob

----------------------
Season 8:  Because Dean needs to make one more appearance on the show so that Luke can knock him upside the head for trying to lump Lorelai in with Rory in his bitter rant about not being able to get Rory to settle down with him.
MonicaKeller
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6072 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:35 pm »

I just posted what we are doing to a few radio stations around here. Hopefully they will mention what we are doing on the air.

Dolce
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: June 08, 2007, 08:38:50 pm »

OMG I've been away from the forum for quite a while now... don't tell me they intend to make the final episode of gilmore girls also the last episode of the whole series!!!!!! IT CAN'T JUST END THERE! tell me what's up, someone, anyone please.. 406 pages is a lot to read xD

"I step outside my minds eyes for a minute, and I look over me like a doctor looking for disease, something that could ease the pain, but nothing cures the hurt you bring on by yourself, just remembering how we were"
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: June 09, 2007, 12:00:25 am »

OMG I've been away from the forum for quite a while now... don't tell me they intend to make the final episode of gilmore girls also the last episode of the whole series!!!!!! IT CAN'T JUST END THERE! tell me what's up, someone, anyone please.. 406 pages is a lot to read xD

There's a lot of ground to cover, so I'm not going to cover it.   Grin  So here's the short version:

The ratings were high enough for renewal for season 8 and the stories were being geared up for season 8, so much so that David Rosenthal was instructed around January-February to NOT write his original intention, which was to have Lor and Luke get married and for Lor to be pregnant in the season finale (which he thought at the time was going to be the series finale.)  He was told back then to change the direction of the second half of the season so that it wouldn't end that way.  As a result, while the Mandate thread has existed since February (go check the date of Heidi's first post in this here thread on page 1), the fate of the show was so up and down so often that it made no sense to so actively pursue a revival campaign until it was clear one way or the other, so the Mandate was more or less informal, with just this thread and a unifying logo shared between a few websites, until late March.

Meanwhile, according to Lauren, both she and Alexis were both ambivalent about returning for another season, just not at the same time the other one was ambivalent.  One wants to stay, the other wants to go, it's all a bad cover version of a Kinks song.  Contract negotiations went on for the entire year and the network wanted them to stay.  TV Guide's Michael Ausiello finally semi-confirmed rumors that Alexis was the major hold-out by alluded to Lauren being "more amenable" to staying than Alexis was.  Lauren requested a last-minute rewrite of the season finale to make it more dramatic, less comedic, which gave the set a little more unexpected drama.  By early April, negotiations became a roller-coaster, with first it seeming likely that it would be back, then doubtful, then things started looking up, then Gg won E!'s Save One Show contest and no comment was forthcoming from the network or the show which suggested that the talks were still going on heavily.  Then things looked VERY up again right as the season ended filming, with Lauren and Alexis reportedly agreeing in principal to a 13-episode deal.  The contracts for the 13-episode deal were reportedly drawn up and sent to Lauren and Alexis for signing and were never signed.  One rumor has it that one of the actors, the "Less Amenable" one in many reports, requested that the season be shortened to 8 episodes, we don't know if that was true or not or anything like the reason that Lauren and Alexis declined the offer -- both have claimed to be exhausted by the show, but that's true of actors on other shows, too. 

In any case, The CW, frustrated by the rejection of the most current offer, walked away from the negotiating table, perhaps trying to call a bluff (I'm speculating here), and announced the cancellation of the show on May 2nd, and the Mandate campaign immediately went into overdrive.  Graham and Patterson gave lengthy interviews to Michael Ausiello at TV Guide.com -- Patterson liked the season finale but wasn't happy that it was the series finale, Graham IMO did what happens when Lorelai talks a lot -- she made more than a few Freudian slips that make it clear that she meant the opposite of the explanations of why the show was ending.  Then, on the day of the airing of the season finale, May 15th, the Washington Post published an article based on interviews with Kelly Bishop, Edward Herrmann and Liza Weil.   Edward Herrmann noted that while the writing was starting to lose some of its edges, he remarked about the rushed season ending, "You don't have the emotionally satisfying moments.  After seven years, each of those storyylines needs its own episode [to come to a resolution], almost."  Liza Weil "hoped that there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers," noting the difficult position the writers were put in due to the length of the negotiations.  And Bishop blasted the way the season finale turned into a for-now series finale as being "disrespectful to the fans." 

Suffice to say, Kelly Bishop was . . . ummm* . . . right.**  The season finale aired without any real resolution of any of the storylines -- not Lor and Luke's, who have yet to show that they have the coping mechanisms to do anything other than attempt to destroy each other whenever they have massive disagreements or many of the other storylines that were dangling, -- not Sookie's Pregnancy, not Richard's Health issues, not Emily's search for something to do with her life now that Richard is semi-retired, not Rory's codependency on Lorelai, which resulted in yet another meltdown and failed final when Rory freaked out after failing to get the NYT Reston Fellowship.  While most Gg fans enjoyed the season finale as a season finale, they/we also agree that it was so unresolved that it's not acceptable as a series finale.  Show creator Amy Sherman-Palladino leaked to Michael Ausiello the possibility of doing a 2-hour movie to cap the show "in a year or two," but we've heard that line so many times before (koff koff! Angel koff koff!) that not even Jericho fans believed that possibility for its show, so we sure as heck aren't.  There is some disagreement as to whether we should be supporting a 2-hour movie or a 13-episode revival, but IMO, I think we're all on the same page that we want an actual ending of the series, period.

We've got various projects going to try to persuade Lauren, Alexis and the CW's president, Dawn Ostroff, to all come back to the negotiating table to work something out -- including a letter-writing campaign to Lauren, Alexis and Dawn Ostroff, a voice-mail campaign to the CW's viewer comment line (1-818-977-6878 -- a voicemail box that fills by midnight PT most days and which is a number that I've, much to my surprise, memorized), a real-daisy sending campaign to primarily Dawn and Alexis, but also to Lauren (it's cool to do, but expensive, so we've found another way to do it), there's a petition at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate that we've just started -- sign it and spread the word and have them spread the word and so on.  Press releases were sent out to various media last weekend, so hopefully, people in the media will be thinking over the weekend, "All this crap about Paris Hilton in jail is even more ridiculous than usual, let's find something else to talk about."   

And that's where you came in.  Hope that helps!

-- Rob

* I'm not a TwoPer, so I reserve the right to use the vocal static "ummm" whenever I feel like it.  So there.  Wink
** Trust the veteran actors who don't care about burning bridges anymore.  They tend to speak the truth more often.

---------------------------
Season 8:  Because of all those dangling storylines I just mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:03:08 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: