The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:02:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1732741 times)
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #6000 on: June 07, 2007, 01:55:47 pm »

Maybe I am more dense than I realize, but how are you all pretty sticking everyone?
I'm not sure but I think you can prettystick people when you have more than 100 posts. At least that's what I kind of figured out myself, but maybe I'm wrong Wink

BTW I posted the petition-link in another german forum and they seem to like the idea better Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:59:28 pm by Junkie » Logged

ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: June 07, 2007, 02:03:35 pm »

OHH, and I don't mean to soud completely dumb, but I just started watching GG a few years ago, and while i've seen a great majority of the episodes there are a few that slped through my fingers. Anyway I was just wondering if someone coud tell me what prettysticks is a reference to.

The reference comes from season 1's "Rory's Dance."  When Rory comes out with her dress on and her hair done, Lorelai says, "Someone hit you with a pretty stick."  And I am 99% certain that is the only time a pretty stick was mentioned on the show.  Smiley

Y'know, the way that this reference goes soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far back in the show's history and is therefore an obscure reference makes me want to use it all the more.  Combine the reference and make it a pretty Hello Kitty stick and I'm getting even more giddy.

I'm thinking what I might plan to do is, like categorize the major plans thusly:

Emily:  The expensive, Operation: Daisy Duke campaign
Richard:  The slightly less expensive Daisy Campaign where people pool their resources via PayPal
Lorelai:  The Letter-Writing Campaign (Start with something a little more personal than "To Whom It May Concern . . ."   Grin  )
Rory:  The Pretty Stick Campaign (Thus, if you send a prettystick with your letter, you make Lorelai and Rory!)
Kirk:  The Voicemail Campaign
Paris:  The Petition Campaign

-- Rob

---------------------
Season 8:  Because Sam Phillips should sing ON the show again.
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: June 07, 2007, 02:06:40 pm »

Emily: The expensive, Operation: Daisy Duke campaign
Richard: The slightly less expensive Daisy Campaign where people pool their resources via PayPal
Lorelai: The Letter-Writing Campaign (Start with something a little more personal than "To Whom It May Concern . . ." Grin )
Rory: The Pretty Stick Campaign (Thus, if you send a prettystick with your letter, you make Lorelai and Rory!)
Kirk: The Voicemail Campaign
Paris: The Petition Campaign

-- Rob

---------------------
Season 8: Because Sam Phillips should sing ON the show again.

That's cool, I like it!  Cool  Wink

somechick03862
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: June 07, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

I am so not trying to sound like a jerk(ha! Whenever you start like that, you KNOW you sound like a jerk...) I love obscure references, my dh and I use them all the time and they have meaning to us, but are other people going to 'get' a pen being a pretty stick? I mean, it would be different if the pretty stick in the show was a pen, I may just be having my brain fog issues that go with my health problems, but I know I wouldn't get it. If you have to explain what the heck you're doing, is it really the right choice?

I am totally in awe of your dedication and drive, Rob. You da man,so please don't think I have any clue what I am talking about, but I want this campaign to succeed. You can boot me from the forum now, if you want....
Frannie530
Town Resident

Community Points: 15

View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: June 07, 2007, 02:52:31 pm »

Just a thought.  In the elementary school where I teach.  Most of our teachers have for years bought things from a place called Oriental Trading
www.orientaltrading.com

I went to the site and put daisies into the search box.   You can get 250  one and a quarter inch yellow daisies for 4.95 plus shipping.  There are other daisy products there too.

By the way, there are 4 of us at work 50+ years old that love Gilmore Girls... 
Frannie530
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: June 07, 2007, 03:05:46 pm »

Another idea, needs your thoughts.....

Does everyone know what a wiki is... if not, it is like a word document on the web which can be edited by anyone who has the address to it.. My librarian and computer teacher personas are coming out. Things need to be organized.. I thought I could get a list of gilmore girls fan sites together .. and we can place them on a wiki page. When you post the petition link to one of the websites on the wiki you can go in and edit the document by either changing the color of the link or adding the word done after the link. This way we would know what sites the petition link was posted to and how many sites the link was posted on.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated...

ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: June 07, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

This is from Media Weeks' columnist Mark Berman as cross-posted to Usenet:

Second behind Deal or No Deal in the 8 p.m. hour was a repeat of NCIS
on CBS (Viewers: 9.25 million; A18-49: 2.2/ Cool, followed by repeats of
the canceled George Lopez (Viewers: 4.59 million; A18-49: 1.6/ 6) and
According to Jim (Viewers: 4.07 million; A18-49: 1.5/ 5) on ABC, and
struggling Fox reality/competition On the Lot (Viewers: 3.13 million;
A18-49: 1.4/ 5). Last in the hour was a repeat of the CWs canceled
Gilmore Girls at 1.86 million viewers and a 0.7/ 2 among adults 18-49.
There is a rumor circulating that the CW is considering a two-hour
Gilmore Girls movie for next season

Don't worry, the 1.86 million viewers for a repeat is typical for Gg repeats and, frankly, is 75% of the ratings of a *new* episode of Veronica Mars.  That's why no matter what the Mars fans do, that show ain't coming back.

The interesting thing about the newsbit is, of course, the last sentence.  IMO, it means the rumor is definitely circulating around Hollywood *beyond* Ausiello's initial report.

So, IMO, it sounds to me like even the reluctant member of the cast may be persuadable.  Thus, there's no reason not to push for season 8 as a midseason replacement.  This is great news.  Let's keep going.

@ Everybody: 

1) Spread the petition link through email, send it to everyone on your mailing lists that you know is a fan of Gg or has a family member who's a fan of Gg and in your message, have *them* forward the liink to the petition when they've signed it.

2) What we've got right now is a good start -- 312 signatures (and counting) in about a day, without the word having spread out too far yet.  However, the goal is 30-40,000 signatures -- sounds big, I know, but I compared Jericho's season ratings with how many signatures they had collected as of yesterday (114K) and rounded.  Don't be too worried by the 40K number, even 30K will be a major accomplishment, but again, it will take some time and a LOT of effort to publicize the petition everywhere possible and no single person (not even me) is going to know every single place to go.

3) Apparently, part of the way that Jericho's fans were able to innundate CBS with nuts so fast was that they were able to find an online store and make a deal on shipping them.  If someone can find out how to do that with Hello Kitty pencils ("prettysticks"), that would be nifty.

4) I know that a lot of people are coming up with ideas of what to send to The CW along the lines of the Jericho Nuts campaign.  They're all interesting ideas that I wouldn't want to dismiss, but many of them aren't as cheap as you'd think compared to the nuts campaign.  So IMO what we need to do is find the thing that's the cheapest and most likely to get through without freaking security out.  That seems to me to be Hello Kitty pens/pencils and/or generic sparkly pens/pencils as Prettysticks.  The advantage of this one is that even if you have to buy a pack of 6 or 8 or whatever of them come in a pack, you can then send that many Prettysticks to that many addresses.  Everybody wins.

Plus, it's cute, obscure, absurd and weirdly self-referential on a couple three or four levels (just imagine if/when they find out that the community points system here is based on Prettysticks (add one) and Snarkastics (minus one).  That's Gilmore Girls in a (non-Jericho-ish) nutshell.

So (man, I wish I had thought of this when I went shopping today) if anyone is going to Target or Wal-Borg within the next few hours, see what they have in the way of Prettysticks, even if it doesn't carry a Hello Kitty logo.  What I'd like to hear about is a pen or pencil that's a) sparkly, b) comes in a pack of multiple pens/pencils (if possible) and if a pencil, c) unsharpened. 

@ somechick:  I'm not a moderator, so I can't boot you (I wouldn't anyway, BID.)  We shoot for that low in cost -- pens and pencils --  and use the Prettystick quotation from Rory's Dance as letterhead and it'll get the point across.  And not everybody has to include the letterhead with the quotation.  If you write your letter and include a Prettystick, it'll still get the point across because enough of us will use the quote anyway.

-- Rob

------------------------
season 8:  Because we *still* don't know if Lorelai's going to escape from what could be a future as a Crazy Cat Lady.
somechick03862
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: June 07, 2007, 03:18:16 pm »

Custom glittery pencils work?
http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=80/90&mode=Searching&erec=0&D=glitter%2Bpencils&Ntt=glitter%2Bpencils&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&sd=CUSTOM+GLITTER+PENCILS
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6008 on: June 07, 2007, 03:26:04 pm »

I think Amy said like in a couple of years, not for the next season. (Next season would be better of course!)
312 signatures,it's a lot for just one day. I'm sure we can make it.
Let's keep writing emails,calling the CW lines, snail mails,signing petitions, asking interesting people to let the world know what is being done with GG fans... while we come up with an idea of what to send.
Keep up the great job! BTW, tomorrow night, I'll be emailing all those sites that Divine and Junkie have found of GG about the Great8Mandate and the petition. So more people should be joining us soon.
I just checked and there are 9555 members in here.Is there anyway to forward an email to all of us, saying where we can sign the petition and stuff like that.(Some people maybe don't come here daily and almost every hour like I do, but I guess they check their emails.) Heidi, is there any chance to do that?

Okay,back to studying Italian (which is driving me crazy)
Arrivederci!
Leire

EmilyCaroline
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: June 07, 2007, 03:38:51 pm »

I think the prettystick idea is great!!!

Also, remember in when Rory went to build a house and Lorelai decorated her hammer?  Rory said that Lorelai like to make things that aren't normally pretty, pretty!  And she made a reference to her mom making outfits for her pens!
EmilyCaroline
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: June 07, 2007, 03:44:55 pm »

Just a thought.  In the elementary school where I teach.  Most of our teachers have for years bought things from a place called Oriental Trading
www.orientaltrading.com

I went to the site and put daisies into the search box.   You can get 250  one and a quarter inch yellow daisies for 4.95 plus shipping.  There are other daisy products there too.

By the way, there are 4 of us at work 50+ years old that love Gilmore Girls... 

That's great!!

If people are willing to spend $19.80, they can send "1,000 yellow daisies" to the CW or Lauren or Alexis or whoever!
LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: June 07, 2007, 04:00:25 pm »

I'm not sure about the pretty sticks idea... It is good and would be cheap to everyone, but would anyone really get it?  What if we sent in like coffee mugs, those can be very cheap from like walmart or target... just a thought.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: June 07, 2007, 04:08:45 pm »

I think Amy said like in a couple of years, not for the next season. (Next season would be better of course!)

Yes, Amy said in a couple of years, not this coming year as Berman put it.  Maybe Berman got his wires crossed, maybe he didn't.  In any case, I think that a 2-hour movie finish by Amy should be preceded by at least a mini-season of around 13 episodes to address all of the other threads so that a 2-hour finale could deal with as few dangling plotlines as possible and thereby not be anything even remotely as rushed as the season 7 finale is in its unintended context as the series finale that it never should have been.  So IMO, business as usual, no reason whatsoever to relax.

312 signatures,it's a lot for just one day. I'm sure we can make it.
Let's keep writing emails,calling the CW lines, snail mails,signing petitions, asking interesting people to let the world know what is being done with GG fans... while we come up with an idea of what to send.
Keep up the great job! BTW, tomorrow night, I'll be emailing all those sites that Divine and Junkie have found of GG about the Great8Mandate and the petition. So more people should be joining us soon.
I just checked and there are 9555 members in here.Is there anyway to forward an email to all of us, saying where we can sign the petition and stuff like that.(Some people maybe don't come here daily and almost every hour like I do, but I guess they check their emails.) Heidi, is there any chance to do that?

I already PM'd Heidi about that and will welcome her response whenever she's able to give it.

@ Frannie530 -- 1) are those real daisies or paper daisies?  2) As for wiki-ing sites together, Heidi is working something out with somebody from FanForum along similar lines, not wiki, but a multi-site project nonetheless.

@ somechick -- those are great sample pencils, but they're sharpened.  IMO, we should do unsharpened pencils so that they don't poke through the envelopes during transit.  Let's see what Hello Kitty expert Heather comes up with.

@ LoveMeSomeGg -- If you include a banner with the quote from Rory's Dance regardnig the Pretty Stick, they'll get it.  Keep in mind, this is a show that's famous for being obscure and bizarro in its references, so IMO, if they have to think about it a minute, then that's in keeping with the Gg spirit anyway.  Wink

@ Everybody -- Just wanted to make something a little more clear that I don't think I succeeded in expressing earlier.  We're in the process of setting up a fundraising drive for an ad campaign in Variety, plus with the petition and the other major projects, ODD, snail mail, email, comment lines, Heather's poster/banner project, the Quotes project and finally, the Prettystick Project, I think we've got enough projects going for at least the time being and we should just focus on these projects rather than think of other things to send their way.  This is a LOT of stuff to go around, a lot of options for any one fan to cycle through depending on their budget and I think we've hit everyone's level of budget at least once.  So I feel that it's time for us to focus on these projects -- especially, in the immediate short-term, spreading the word about the petition -- and hold off on other suggestions for the time being.  There are a LOT of great ideas out there that have the potential to work, but they will probably be crowded out by what we've got going right now.  There may be a time where we need to shift gears and try out some of those other ideas, so let's not exhaust them all at once.  Let's keep those additional ideas in reserve, just in case.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because Paris's white boards were definitely overdoing it.
Frannie530
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

Rob,

They are polyester daisies.  Cloth daisies with no stems.  Click the link to look at the picture.

Link: http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=3/1218&mode=Searching&erec=3&No=0&D=daisies&Ntt=daisies&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&sd=YELLOW+DAISIES

britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: June 07, 2007, 04:31:51 pm »

So let me get this stright we're sending Prettysticks which are going to be be glitter pens and glitter pencils?

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: