The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:42:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1763580 times)
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: June 07, 2007, 05:25:23 am »

I don't know if pens would scare them, but IMO it would be a good idea to think of something cheaper than daisies we can send to the network/Lauren/Alexis etc.
Anyway, I like your idea, Rob!  Wink And I'll also think of other alternative drives, maybe I can come up with something...

BTW I've just informed two german GG websites about the petition. I wonder if they are going to support... I'll keep you in the loop  Wink

divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5956 on: June 07, 2007, 05:28:01 am »

@Rob: I love the idea with prettysticks - especially since a lot more people might be able to participate in this one cause it's cheaper than daisies .. *lool*, I don't think it would scare them Wink

@Junkie & Miranda: thanks for posting the petition-link on other sites! Could you maybe send me the links of the sites that you already posted on? Cause right now I am working on a list of the gilmore girls (related) sites to post there / write the admins of the sites to post the link. Just so we have an overview and don't forget any sites. I know, I should have been posted this earlier  Roll Eyes
Thanks!!

Rob you just made me think of another thing. Do you guys know this small packets of coffee? It's for one cup and you only need to add water. What if we send such packets to the CW?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:30:00 am by divine » Logged

Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: June 07, 2007, 05:33:08 am »

I like the coffee idea!!!!! The forums I posted he link on aren't GG related but there are fans of gg

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
Junkie
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: June 07, 2007, 05:46:17 am »

@Rob: I love the idea with prettysticks - especially since a lot more people might be able to participate in this one cause it's cheaper than daisies .. *lool*, I don't think it would scare them Wink

@Junkie & Miranda: thanks for posting the petition-link on other sites! Could you maybe send me the links of the sites that you already posted on? Cause right now I am working on a list of the gilmore girls (related) sites to post there / write the admins of the sites to post the link. Just so we have an overview and don't forget any sites. I know, I should have been posted this earlier  Roll Eyes
Thanks!!

Rob you just made me think of another thing. Do you guys know this small packets of coffee? It's for one cup and you only need to add water. What if we send such packets to the CW?

No problem!  Wink I've sent the petition-link to the web hosts of www.gilmoregirls.de and www.world-of-gg.de! Do you think I should also post it in their forums? I don't know how they'll react but I could try! IMO sending small packets of coffee is a great idea too!!! I think much more people would participate in a cheap project because sending daisies from Europe for example was nearly impossible for those who don't use PayPal... But sending pens or coffee packets is not a big deal at all. And that's also a good way to show the cast that season 8 has supporters from all over the world!

Miranda
Town Selectman

Community Points: 775

Call me Mira

View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: June 07, 2007, 05:52:02 am »

Thanks!!

No problem!  Wink I've sent the petition-link to the web hosts of www.gilmoregirls.de and www.world-of-gg.de! Do you think I should also post it in their forums? I don't know how they'll react but I could try! IMO sending small packets of coffee is a great idea too!!! I think much more people would participate in a cheap project because sending daisies from Europe for example was nearly impossible for those who don't use PayPal... But sending pens or coffee packets is not a big deal at all. And that's also a good way to show the cast that season 8 has supporters from all over the world!
I completely agree with that!!!

Thanks sis (Katinka a.k.a Snowy_Duerre)
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: June 07, 2007, 06:26:21 am »

but IMO it would be a good idea to think of something cheaper than daisies we can send to the network/Lauren/Alexis etc.

I think thats a good idea, beacuse the price of daises im sure is keeping MANY people fromsending them. Look how many peanuts CBS got, proalie because there so cheap. But I think if we send anything else it should send Daisy seeds. It's kind of the same thing just in a different form.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: June 07, 2007, 06:33:25 am »

While I like the idea of the coffee packets, I think that since they're a powdery substance, security would consider them an Anthrax/chemical threat first and that would be bad for us in terms of relationship with the studios and actors.  Prettysticks are more obviously harmless when still in envelopes and would likely be donated to literacy campaigns and schools afterward.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because this is my 300th post.  Celebrate
Junkie
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: June 07, 2007, 06:38:40 am »

I also have an idea for something cheaper than daisies but the problem is, that is only has to do something with the relationship of Luke and Lorelai... Anyway, I really don't mind if you don't like it, it just crossed my mind...  Grin  We could cut out little horoscopes from our local magazines - of course only "scorpions"  - and send them in our letters. It would be interesting to send horoscopes in different languages, I think. But as I said it's only a LL-thing, so it's probably not the best thing we can do...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:41:35 am by Junkie » Logged

divine
Town Resident

Community Points: 38

**Where you lead, I will follow**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5963 on: June 07, 2007, 06:43:23 am »

While I like the idea of the coffee packets, I think that since they're a powdery substance, security would consider them an Anthrax/chemical threat first and that would be bad for us in terms of relationship with the studios and actors.  Prettysticks are more obviously harmless when still in envelopes and would likely be donated to literacy campaigns and schools afterward.

-- Rob

Hm .. you're right .. I thought the same, after I posted this idea, but I wasn't sure, how strict security would be .. but you're right, it's too insecure that it will ever get there. I suppose same thing goes for daisy seeds like britni suggested?

The horoscope idea is also great especially since they could read from that that their fans live all around the world! Wow, so many ideas - I think I'll combine both things Wink

ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 07, 2007, 06:49:44 am »

I also have an idea for something cheaper than daisies but the problem is, that is only has to do something with the relationship of Luke and Lorelai... Anyway, I really don't mind if you don't like it, it just crossed my mind...  Grin  We could cut out little horoscopes from magazines - of course only "scorpions"  - and send them in our letters. It would be interesting to send horoscopes in different languages, I think. But as I said it's only a LL-thing, so it's probably not the best thing we can do...

Yeah, it's an LL thing, so I think we need to stick to pretty sticks and as an add-on, if anyone wants to spend the extra money, daisies. However, if you *also* want to add a horoscope, I'm not going to stop you, but I already suggested a similar idea in May, which was to send the front-page logos of your local paper (to represent Rory's reporter aspirations) and that one didn't go over well.  I'm not going to shut down ODD, but I'm going to post that one less often because I think that the Prettystick Campaign is a better idea to do it being *much* cheaper.  Consider Operation: Prettystick as unofficially launched and I'll get a FAQ going on O:P and the petition later today.  Meanwhile, if you want to get a jump on OP, I'm going to post the Welcome/Mail FAQ again just as soon as I update it.

-- Rob

Season 8:  Because we all know that Lorelai is holding out for a deep, meaningful relationship with Kirk and is just biding her time until he breaks up with Lulu.  Dance
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: June 07, 2007, 07:03:36 am »

Rob's Great 8 Mandate Welcome Post and Mail Primer

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls, especially since Memorial Day has just passed and energy can sag a little bit after a three-day weekend like Memorial Day.  Well, heck -- Amy Sherman-Palladino has voiced interest in doing a 2-hour movie, and Scott Patterson, Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil have all three voiced reservations about the season finale being a series finale -- so it's clear that no matter how much time is passing, most people that are most important to the show (some of whom have even left the show) *do* want to keep it going.  So that's all the more reason to keep going, full speed ahead.   This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

0) NEW! SIGN THE GREAT 8 MANDATE PETITION AT http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate.
  Jericho did about 114K signatures on their online petition in somewhere around a month's time.  Given that we just started and it takes time for the news of the petition to reach the various parts of Gg fandom it willl take time and your recruitment efforts to get it up to a reasonable goal.  Given Jericho's ratings (a bit more than twice what Gg's average is), I think that we, as fans of a top-rated show on a smaller network, should be able to raise around 40K signatures in about a month.  Post the petition link on message boards far and wide, put them into your sigs on non-Gg MBs, do the facebook-myspace stuff and spread the word by email.  IInclude a short note of "I signed the petition, please sign it, too."

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL:

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the people who have the most potential to help are IMO, Lauren, Alexis and the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.  Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced, so I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

* BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):   DON'T mention salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

* ADD PAPER DAISIES TO YOUR LETTER:   Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

2)  SEND EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL

The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.   It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

3) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you (and in fact, a list of additional addresses that I've gathered is in the process of being proofread for me.  (My brain is fried.)   Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)  NOTE: at this time, Alexis may be in the most need of notes of encouragement to continue the series.

4) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

5) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.   It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

6) And send them daisies.  Once per week, if you can afford it, twice a month, once a month.  A different person each time, rotating between Dawn, Lauren and Alexis -- and now, Amy Sherman-Palladino (yay!) and Peter Roth.

7) CONTACT ADVERTISERS:

Divine has set up a word document containing contact information regarding the various national advertisers who placed commercials in the series season finale.  The document can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/9907391-List%20of%20Advertisers.doc (NOTE:  This is an updated url.)   If you contact any of the advertisers, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following: 

* Please be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings, particularly in light of how terrible the ratings are of Veronica Mars.  Don't otherwise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is alienating the viewership by cancelling both the high-rated Gilmore Girls and the low-rated Veronica Mars (whose fanbase is probably a subset of Gilmore Girls’ fanbase), doesn't it make sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls in order to retrieve  the goodwill of that viewership and thereby make The CW a much better outlet for your product?" 

* Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

Cool There is no 8.  That's the point.

9) Write to this CW weblog at:  http://blogs.trb.com/network/cwsource/2007/05/rumorville_a_gilmore_girls_tv.html   .   It asks about how you feel about the news that Amy is interested in doing a 2-hour movie version of the show.  I managed to swing the conversation a little in one of my own posts to the blog page, asking everybody to not take wanting to see a season 8 as a given and instead say if they'd want to see a season 8 rather than *just* a movie.

10)  NEW!  AOL is currently doing a Best and Worst of TV 2007 poll at:  http://television.aol.com/feature/tv-season-end-best-worst-poll .  There are twenty questions, three of them (including question #20) have Gilmore Girls-related choices.  The winners are going to be announced on June 18th, so until the vote actually closes, vote early, vote often!

-- Rob

Season 8:  Because Chloe O'Brian has been on the show -- twice!  (Must . . . get . . . Jack Bauer!)
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: June 07, 2007, 07:14:16 am »

The Gimore Girls season 8 petition is at the top of the Most active list at petition spot, save VM is right under it. Anyway keep up the good work, and keep spreading that link around.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
Wonny
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: June 07, 2007, 07:14:29 am »

I have two ideas actually. Maybe they are a little stupid but...ok I want GG back...so I tell it
Why don´t we make our own Gilmore Girls song.
A Gilmore Girls season 8 song. I have a Computer programm, where you can make you´re own song.
I must install the CD first and I don´t know if it´s still working (the CD is pretty old).
Well and problam No 2 is that I don´t have a good voice (by the way Laurens voice is very good)
Does anyone here have a good voice? Everybody could Download it than here and send it to Lauren, Alexis, Dawn. Or we make a Mother - Daughter song? (could sing a mother with her daughter, too.) Or a Luke and Lorelai song? Or we make a Logan and Rory song?

My next idea is to make a newspaper.
We could write in there how we think season 8 could gonna work for example with Alexis as a guest star... and with fotos from every GG Fan and a few information about him or her... I think that would be great, because than they see all the different faces. I think Lauren, Alexis and Dawn would like that. What do you all think?

Or someone could sing "I will always love you" with a Gilmore Girls season 8 text.
"I will always love you GG"

I don´t know, just an idea.
 Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Wink
nevaeh11084
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

"I just...like to see you happy"

View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: June 07, 2007, 07:20:19 am »

So, I was wonder, since the Daisies may be too expensive, would mailing prettysticks (say, glittery pens?) be a good alternative drive?  Does anybody think that a pen in the mail would scare them, or is that on the level of Jericho sending peanuts?

ETA I sent a request to Michael Ausiello to post the petition link at his Ausiello Report blog and Ask Ausiello column.

-- Rob

------------------------
Season 8:  Because Sookie can NOT have the worlds longest pregnancy!  Shocked

This drive-by sig brought to you by Loridhhp and the letter "K."

I LOVE the prettysticks idea!!

"I just...like to see you happy"
<3 JavaJunkie
go_clo

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: June 07, 2007, 07:40:02 am »

OMG I loooooooove that idea!!!! *prettysticks* I like the idea of sending something cheaper then daisies even though daisies was a nice idea but I don't think pens would make sence (no offence Rob) cause they don't really have anything to do with the show, just this site and no one would know what a pretty stick is. I want to send something that has a big part to do with the show, something that the show is known for and small coffee packets is an excellent idea!! Shocked

ETA: Rob your concern about the coffee packets is valid and does make sence but I think if the studio started getting hundreds of packets from all around the world, I doubt they would suspect them to be drugs.

Yvonne (pinkpaisley) and I are working together on the new site.  We're going to make it as inclusive as possible so that all Gilmore supporters (no matter what you support) can find information and participate from one central location.

~Heidi

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know we're working on it. I will keep everyone at FanForum updated about the progression.

You guys are working on it together? Thats excellent, thanks you 2 for doing this. Keep up the good work and good luck!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 07:56:51 am by go_clo » Logged

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: