The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:05:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1766203 times)
GG3
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5490 on: May 25, 2007, 08:19:45 am »

Did they tape  the Letterman show already, and was anyone able to make it???

I was not able to watch this last night.   If any of you are able to , would you put it on youtube.

Thanks
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: May 25, 2007, 08:20:37 am »

Hi, everyone.  I am doing my part in writing, emailing. 

However, I am concerned about Dawn's remarks at the Upfronts when she mentioned that other shows (Beauty and the Geek ??) scored better in key demographics than Gilmore.  This attitude makes me lose faith in appealing to her.  She is justifying the network's decision to pull the plug on Gilmore.

Thoughts?

IMO, Dawn was trying -- badly -- to deflect attention away from Gg by baffling the audience with a deliberately misleading intepretation of the numbers.  BatG might score higher in target demographics (young women 18-25), but it has aired on an easier night, not against American Idol, not against Dancing with the Stars, both of which share target demos with Gg.  BatG aired on Wednesday nights and didn't even retain anything close to ANTM's overall ratings (best of the network) in the easier timeslot (in fact, its ratings were lower than Gg's on an easier night.  IMO, nobody buys that explanation that she gave at the Upfronts.

@ Fantasy -- I've already partially updated my lists with Amy's agency address and with Peter Roth address.  I'll be fully updating them over the next day or so.  But in the meantime . . . Yes, we should keep writing -- adding Peter Roth and Amy to the list, keep calling to the Comment Line, keep spreading the word, etc.  So I'm going to post my update of the Mail Primer now.  My next update of it, I'll do an overhaul, but it takes time.

Rob's Great 8 Mandate Welcome Post and Mail Primer

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  The energy that everyone is feeling is almost tangible to me and I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL.

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snail mail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the people who have the most potential to help are IMO, Lauren, Alexis and the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  They can be contacted at the following addresses:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002
Email: [email protected]
or post your comments at the Lounge at www.cwtv.com

Peter Roth
President, Warner Brothers Television
300 Television Plaza
Burbank, CA 91505

Amy Sherman-Palladino
c/o Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Email:  Michael Flutie: [email protected]
Email:  Paul M. Brown:  [email protected]

As the series season finale has passed, email and voicemail can become handy, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network and actors will always take Snail Mail more seriously than any other form of correspondence.  Snail Mail has become even more important now that the Upfronts have been announced, so I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF:  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):   Speak your mind, say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  If you leave a long voicemail, it can sound like a ramble by somebody who's unstable, but even though I'm saying be brief when you leave your voicemail, it's not an absolute rule it's just a request for you to do the best that you can.  Don't beat yourself up if you think you went on for too long, though, as your nervousness will likely screw with your head, it's better for you to leave a message than no message at all.  And be sure to thank the people you're contacting for their time and consideration.

* BE POLITE: I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):  DON'T mention salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

2)  SEND EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL

The CW's comment line is 1-818-977-6878.  It is voicemail and it often (but not always) fills up by early evening -- and appears to be full the entire weekend from whenever time on Fridays it fills up.

If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL ACTOR OR PERSON AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS ON THE SAME DAY.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.  Remember, once per day and that’s it, particularly for voicemail and email.

3) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis, I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you, but please post the address for the managment/agent team of each actor to this thread if/when you discover them.   I'm especially interested in office addresses for Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil due to their great warning about the series season finale of the show.  Although I don't know the addresses for the management teams of any other actors but Lauren and Alexis, and I only know them because they were posted on page 1 of this very thread.  Wink   Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff, Lauren and Alexis your first priority. If they get the mail, they are sure to contact everybody else involved, including Ostroff’s bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the other actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)  NOTE: at this time, Alexis may be in the most need of notes of encouragement to continue the series.

4) Please send snail mail more than once a week. Two times a week is probably optimal.  Write something different each time, choose a different person each time -- a different aspect of what the show means to you, whatever.  Make it anything other than any other letter you've sent to them 'cause once they see an identical one, it registers as a form letter in their minds.

5) Please send your first or only snail mail of any given week by registered mail/return receipt.  It's more expensive than regular snail mail, but it means that someone has to sign for it and acknowledge the receipt, and perhaps they'll take the expense even more seriously than even if it were standard snail mail and thereby be more likely to read it.

6) And send them daisies.  Once per week, if you can afford it, twice a month, once a month.  A different person each time, rotating between Dawn, Lauren and Alexis.

7)  NEW!  I’ve added the email addresses of certain persons to the above contact list.  If you have discovered the email addresses of any other office address listed above, please post them so that I can add them to the next edition of this Welcome Post.  I’m especially interested in an office phone number for Peter Roth, President of Warner Brothers Television (ie: the TV-producing arm of the studio, which has nothing to do with the CW network other than providing Warner-produced shows for it and ER for NBC and Nip/Tuck for FX and so on.)  Ausiello mentioned in that Ask Ausiello mini-interview with Amy that Roth was showing interest in the movie idea.  So IMO he’s now one of the targets we should focus on.

Cool CONTACT ADVERTISERS:

Divine has set up a word document containing contact information regarding the various national advertisers who placed commercials in the series season finale.  The document can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/2659036-List_of_Advertisers.doc  If you contact any of the advertisers, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following:  

* Please be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings, particularly in light of how terrible the ratings are of Veronica Mars.  Don't otherwise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is alienating the viewership by cancelling both the high-rated Gilmore Girls and the low-rated Veronica Mars (whose fanbase is probably a subset of Gilmore Girls’ fanbase), doesn't it make sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls in order to retrieve  the goodwill of that viewership and thereby make The CW a much better outlet for your product?"  

* Please, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered "astroturf," a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're going to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

-- Rob

--------------------
Season 8:  Because Lorelai is right about the bathroom tiles -- size of the tiles counts just as much as the number of tiles you buy.
amanda elise20
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

Oy with the poodles already.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5492 on: May 25, 2007, 09:33:15 am »

Did they tape  the Letterman show already, and was anyone able to make it???

I was not able to watch this last night.   If any of you are able to , would you put it on youtube.

Thanks

it hasn't aired yet so you haven't missed anything... it airs tonight...

i've been calling everyday leaving one message a day... emailing and sending letters... i wish it was in the $$ for me to send daisies but unfortunately not right now... but i will continue to mandate in every way i possibly can...

----Java Junkie---Headliner---Foodie----
*amanda elise*

*F*A*I*T*H*

sig made by sooks... thanks!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: May 25, 2007, 10:20:02 am »

i've been calling everyday leaving one message a day... emailing and sending letters... i wish it was in the $$ for me to send daisies but unfortunately not right now... but i will continue to mandate in every way i possibly can...

Two suggestions:

1)  The flower shops are going to push the $40 vases of daisies onto you -- ask what the price for a simple dozen is.  When I mentioned the possibility of a dozen to my florist *after* I bought the $40 vase for Ostroff, we got our wires crossed, but she revealed that you *can* order a simple dozen.  It's clearly going to be a lot cheaper, maybe even within your budget.

Even if you still can't afford real daisies, there's still a simpler alternative that I don't suggest very often, but has been used by Mandaters in this here thread:

2) Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

-- Rob

--------------------
Season 8:  Because I want to see storylines about Emily's family -- mother, father, any siblings, cousins, etc.
amanda elise20
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

Oy with the poodles already.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5494 on: May 25, 2007, 10:29:40 am »

omg i hadn't even thought of that... that would work... omg i have a ton of mags and i know my mom does too... woo woo go rob!!

thank you!

----Java Junkie---Headliner---Foodie----
*amanda elise*

*F*A*I*T*H*

sig made by sooks... thanks!
scarlett1821
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -2

View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: May 25, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »

Have they already posted next season's line-up for CW?

Is there still a chance for Gilmore Girls to continue?

b.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: May 25, 2007, 12:53:03 pm »

Have they already posted next season's line-up for CW?

Yes.  It was announced on the 17th -- and it's pretty bad, even without Gg on it.

b.

Yes.  Amy Sherman-Palladino has expressed interest in doing a 2-hour movie and moreover, campaigns for both Farscape and Firefly took several *months* to get their shows concluded.  We have every reason to believe that the show *will* continue.  We just have to be frakkin' persistent about it -- at the very least, for four months, if not longer -- and we need to be constantly recruiting people *even when Cranky McCrankyperson says to stop it, it's done.*  'Cause it's not.

-- Rob

------------------------
Season 8:  Because we need to see the hen and the rooster have at least a couple of chicks.
LitLover
Diner Regular

Community Points: 263

My name is Sharon, and I'm a Gilmore-holic. ;)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5497 on: May 25, 2007, 01:01:29 pm »

Yes.  Amy Sherman-Palladino has expressed interest in doing a 2-hour movie and moreover, campaigns for both Farscape and Firefly took several *months* to get their shows concluded.  We have every reason to believe that the show *will* continue.  We just have to be frakkin' persistent about it -- at the very least, for four months, if not longer -- and we need to be constantly recruiting people *even when Cranky McCrankyperson says to stop it, it's done.*  'Cause it's not.

Exactly!  There's no reason whatsoever to give up hope!  The show will end if we do that.  We need to keep calling, mailing -- both snail and e- -- and sending (yellow) daisies!  I, unfortunately, am not able to send any daisies -- to do that would require  Two Cents -- but I have been doing everything else, and I plan to continue!  Smiley

Gilmore Girls has been there in our times of need; now it's time for us to do the same for it.  

Also, Rob, I just have to say that I love all the little things you put at the end of your posts!  I think the needing to see TJ lose his one remaining braincell was my favorite.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:05:46 pm by LitLover » Logged

((Literati((JavaJunkie((Foodie((M.M.M.((Spree 
Literati factoid/Google queen! Wink
But Pri is awesome-est to infinity! 
Reading is sexy!
ChocolatGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: May 25, 2007, 01:39:35 pm »

Nice.  The comments at the end of the article are cute, too.  Smiley

{Daisy Duke. Java Junkie. Literati. Closet Case.}
heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: May 25, 2007, 01:48:59 pm »

POSTER PROJECT UPDATE ...

I am nearly finished with the posters.  Our printer is supposed to be fixed Tuesday morning, so I will be printing them off Tuesday night.  I have not yet altered the poster for Amy.  Later tonight, I'll be posting thumbnails! Smiley

Just wanted to keep you alllll in the loop!

Keep mandating -- a 2-hour movie is something -- but I think we all know we're immensely capable of getting ourselves a season 8!

Have a wonderful holiday, guys and gals! Smiley

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
somechick03862
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: May 25, 2007, 01:49:38 pm »

Hi, I'm new here and probably one of the oldest old ladies here! LOL Anyway. I read this :
2) Find a picture of a daisy, print and cut out lots of copies of them, send a dozen or two of them with your snail mail letter to the various contact addresses.  And when I mean cut out a lot of copies of them, cut out individual squares or rectangles of the pictures, whatever shape the picture is (cutting out the outline of the daisy over and over again would, of course, be Paris-level insane).  Enclose them in the letter when you fold it so that when the person has to open the letter, the paper daisies *have* to fall out.  One creative thing to put in the mix -- maybe sub out one of the daisies and insert a Great8 Mandate logo instead.

And when I was having a flower birthday for my little girl, I found some really cute daisy confetti, it wasn't too small and messy, it was a little bigger and had flowers and leaves in it. I thought it might be cute to include with a letter. It was inexpensive and Igot it at Michaels.
Just a thought....

I truly hope that everything you have all done can help keep Gilmore Girls alive. I don't know what I'll do on Tuesday if I can't see what Taylor, Kirk, Miss Patty, Babette and all the others from Stars Hollow are up to, because they are important to me too, like Lorelai, Rory, Luke, Emily, Richard...well you get the idea!

heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58:13 pm »

Hi, I'm new here and probably one of the oldest old ladies here! LOL Anyway. I read this :

And when I was having a flower birthday for my little girl, I found some really cute daisy confetti, it wasn't too small and messy, it was a little bigger and had flowers and leaves in it. I thought it might be cute to include with a letter. It was inexpensive and Igot it at Michaels.
Just a thought....

I truly hope that everything you have all done can help keep Gilmore Girls alive. I don't know what I'll do on Tuesday if I can't see what Taylor, Kirk, Miss Patty, Babette and all the others from Stars Hollow are up to, because they are important to me too, like Lorelai, Rory, Luke, Emily, Richard...well you get the idea!

GREAT call on the daisy confetti!  Michaels is a great resource, folks -- they have fake flowers there, too, and they're usually relatively inexpensive.  You can also find daisy stickers, daisy paper, daisy envelopes, stamps -- anything!

I am going to be starting to hand make daisy cards tonight (stamping and embossing them).  I'm going to make envelopes to match, too.  If you are interested and would like to have some of these cards, I can make them and send them to you via mail. 

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
lizsh
Town Resident

Community Points: 11

Gilmore Girls Season 8!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: May 25, 2007, 05:29:14 pm »

Teavee.com Results:
Current vote total is 74197. Rank is #5. (2398 away from #4 and 5064 ahead of #6)
1. Veronica Mars
2. One Tree Hill
3. Stargate SG-1
4. JAG
5. Gilmore Girls
6. Xena: Warrior Princess
7. Grey's Anatomy
8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
9. McLeod's Daughters
10. Supernatural

Savemyshow.com Results:
Yes     97 %   21550
No, Cancel It     3 %      613
I Don't Care Either Way    0 %   19

Just another reminder: You can find the press release about the G8M at:
http://www.esnips.com/web/G8M

HELP SAVE GILMORE GIRLS!!! Season 8!
iluvgilmoregirls!

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: May 25, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »

That is so cool there is a press release about the great8mandate Smiley Should I keep sending letters? I think I am going to call the CW line again.
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: May 25, 2007, 06:16:59 pm »

Just a thought....

GREAT call on the daisy confetti!  Michaels is a great resource, folks -- they have fake flowers there, too, and they're usually relatively inexpensive.  You can also find daisy stickers, daisy paper, daisy envelopes, stamps -- anything!

I am going to be starting to hand make daisy cards tonight (stamping and embossing them).  I'm going to make envelopes to match, too.  If you are interested and would like to have some of these cards, I can make them and send them to you via mail. 
Those are REALLY good ideas! I'd like those daisy envelopes! Smiley I'm going the approach that the more the envelope stands out, the better chance they'll get read. Bring on the confetti!!!

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: