The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:11:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1734189 times)
Fantasy
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 141

View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: May 18, 2007, 05:09:15 pm »

Since this thread grows at an abnormally good rate, I didn't see the line up anywhere, so here is something I found. (Note the dread of Tuesday's at 8. Not knocking down the new show just yet, but it is NOT GG.)

The lineup:

MONDAY

7 p.m. Everybody Hates Chris
7:30 p.m. Aliens in America (new)
8 p.m. Girlfriends
8:30 p.m. The Game
TUESDAY

7 p.m. Beauty and the Geek
8 p.m. Reaper (new)
WEDNESDAY

7 p.m. America's Next Top Model
8 p.m. Gossip Girl (new)
THURSDAY

7 p.m. Smallville
8 p.m. Supernatural
FRIDAY

7 p.m. Smackdown
SUNDAY

6 p.m. CW Now (new)
6:30 p.m. Online Nation (new)
7 p.m. Life Is Wild (new)
8 p.m. America's Next Top Model (rerun)

The new shows include:

Aliens in America is a comedy about a Wisconsin mother of two who signs up for a school's foreign-exchange student, hoping a new addition will be good for her gangly, outsider son (Dan Byrd), and the student turns out to be a Pakistani Muslim (Adhir Kalyan).
Reaper is a drama about a young man (Bret Harrison) who learns on his 21st birthday that his parents sold his soul to the devil (Ray Wise), who makes him a bounty hunter.
Gossip Girl is a Web site, run by an anonymous blogger, that generally trashes a snobbish bunch of New York boarding-school teens. Blake Lively, Leighton Meester and Connor Paolo star. Executive producer Josh Schwartz adds this show to his other new responsibility, NBC's fall spy comedy Chuck.
CW Now, an entertainment magazine aimed at young adults.
Online Nation, a show that surfs the Web for the new, irreverent and bizarre.
Life Is Wild, which replaces the family drama 7th Heaven, is about a family displaced from New York to South Africa. Houston's Brett Cullen is the patriarch. Leah Pipes, K'sun Ray and Mary Matilyn Mouser also star.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/entertainment/4813531.html

As always: Daisys. Hand-written Letters. Smiley Anything. Everything. But overall, be polite. Being jerks will get us crap.

I'm probably one of the only ones, but I am looking forward to Wedensdays. When do new shows start??

Take my hand and drag me head first, fearless.
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: May 18, 2007, 05:13:20 pm »

hey everyone!!! i have been writing emails and letters like crazy!! i was just wondering if anyone knows how much of a shot we have of getting gg back? i know the cw lineup came out yesterday and gg was not on it so r we shooting for a half season starting in jan, or is there still a chance for it to return in the fall? i will continue to keep writing and/or doing anything else that can be done but if anyone knows more about our chances and stuff please let me kno!!

The chances are slim. Its rare that a campaign to save a show works, but it does happen. We just have to call and write letters to save our dear show. I don't want it to end and I shall do my part to keep the show going. We need to keep it going for a few weeks with the same passion. Usually the networks wait a week or two to respond to a campaign. If it slows one bit its not a good sign. We must keep this up. Save our show people. Come on my fellow Gimore Guys lets keep this going.

Its also noted that sending letters is 10x better than starting an online petition or leaving voice messages. If we all could send letters once a day for the next few weeks that would be super.

The perfect analogy is that of "the encore", where the true intention of the cheers and applause is to express gratitute for what the performer has given it's audience.

Even the most reluctant performer cannot help but be moved when the cheers and applause do not gradually die down, but get STRONGER and STRONGER--and then someone starts stomping his feet...then another....and another...and then the cheers and applause morph into a THUNDERING, EXPLOSIVE  STOMP--everyone in unison...and you think the venue is either going to explode, or crack a fault line between you and the stage...but the unison stomp  has taken on a life of its own....deafening...

That is gratitude....

To show gratitude in return, the performer gives an "encore"....

....that's the etiquette of encores, and it provides a nice model for what could be achieved here:)

Mike

closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: May 18, 2007, 05:58:33 pm »

hey everyone!!! i have been writing emails and letters like crazy!! i was just wondering if anyone knows how much of a shot we have of getting gg back? i know the cw lineup came out yesterday and gg was not on it so r we shooting for a half season starting in jan, or is there still a chance for it to return in the fall? i will continue to keep writing and/or doing anything else that can be done but if anyone knows more about our chances and stuff please let me kno!!

The chances are slim. Its rare that a campaign to save a show works, but it does happen. We just have to call and write letters to save our dear show. I don't want it to end and I shall do my part to keep the show going. We need to keep it going for a few weeks with the same passion. Usually the networks wait a week or two to respond to a campaign. If it slows one bit its not a good sign. We must keep this up. Save our show people. Come on my fellow Gimore Guys lets keep this going.

Its also noted that sending letters is 10x better than starting an online petition or leaving voice messages. If we all could send letters once a day for the next few weeks that would be super.

The perfect analogy is that of "the encore", where the true intention of the cheers and applause is to express gratitute for what the performer has given it's audience.

Even the most reluctant performer cannot help but be moved when the cheers and applause do not gradually die down, but get STRONGER and STRONGER--and then someone starts stomping his feet...then another....and another...and then the cheers and applause morph into a THUNDERING, EXPLOSIVE  STOMP--everyone in unison...and you think the venue is either going to explode, or crack a fault line between you and the stage...but the unison stomp  has taken on a life of its own....deafening...

That is gratitude....

....that's the etiquette of encores, and it provides a nice model for what could be achieved here:)

Mike

IOW it's important, imo, to add some GRATITUDE into the mix. Let "the three" know that we are grateful for the seven-year-gift which GG most certainly has been .

Most psychological advice on the giving of criticism goes something like this: start on a positive note, "stroke" the person with a compliment or something positive. This tends to make the "about to be criticized party" alot more receptive to what follows.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 06:07:05 pm by closemike » Logged
iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: May 18, 2007, 06:39:41 pm »

That makes me sad to see no GG on that line up but I am going to keep hope in an 8th season! I jsut called the CW line and left a message it was so cool I am going to have all my friends leave one. I hope they listen to us and realize how much we love GG Smiley
nevaeh11084
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

"I just...like to see you happy"

View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: May 18, 2007, 06:50:09 pm »

yea i left a message too! my 5 year old nephew loves gg {he has a build a bear named luke danes} so i hade him say "im sad gg isnt on anymore" at hte end of my message lol it was so cute he sounded sooo sad!

"I just...like to see you happy"
<3 JavaJunkie
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: May 18, 2007, 06:54:31 pm »

That is gratitude....

Mike

IOW it's important, imo, to add some GRATITUDE into the mix. Let "the three" know that we are grateful for the seven-year-gift which GG most certainly has been .

Most psychological advice on the giving of criticism goes something like this: start on a positive note, "stroke" the person with a compliment or something positive. This tends to make the "about to be criticized party" alot more receptive to what follows.

Mike

I've got to add to this particular subthread with a few notes:

1)  The odds are virtually irrelevant because it's the right thing to do regardless of the odds.  Nobody should be going into it think that it *will* be revived, but that it *can* be revived.  Several shows have been revived due to the demands of fanbases, several shows have been revived after they've been cancelled.  A variety of tactics have worked -- some of which we're using, some of which I thunk up myself (such as the Assignment: Alexis idea that I had this morning).  What is most important in any sort of attempt to revive a show is not awareness of the odds -- we know that already, but awareness of the mission and keeping eyes on the mission.

2)  Since I'm a theater geek (BA in live theater/stage management/dramaturgy-script analysis), I'm going to throw my 2-cents in on the concept of the encore -- yes, gratitude is an essential element of the encore in all forms, but the encore is also an additional, unexpected performance added to the end of the show due to the popular demand of the audience.  At rock concerts, encores are pretty much obligatory, built into the show due to the popularity of the given band -- I mean, all these tour dates are sold out because the audiences love them in the first place.  So in this case, the encore would be getting the show the 8th season it deserves and requires -- and structurally, it'd also be an epilogue if you go in knowing that it's the last season.  Going back to the music analogy for a minute, the encore sort of requires a show-stopping number within the encore set -- a song that Lauren wants to avoid (ie: a big wedding), which frankly, it would be soooooooooooooo easy for me to figure out how to achieve that goal, to play that song.  So if I can do it, the showrunners/writers of a hypothetical s8 should be able to do it, too.

3) Mike is right, start out your letter with what the show means to you and what you like about the show that's relevant to the person that you're writing the letter to.  Then given her as good a reason you can for coming back.  "Because I'll hate you if you don't," to use an extreme, won't work whereas "Because Lorelai's storyline ended in a way that was patently unfair to us in audience, given what Rory fans got (a departure point) versus what Lorelai fans got (a rushed, non-punctuating lead-in to the next episode)."  Add concern for their health -- the exhaustion *is* a legitimate excuse and should IMO be believed as being one of the primary causes of *however* the talks of renewal broke down.  Then press for the revival -- we know that this show is in the optimal place for any cancelled show to be revived because the exteriors aren't going to go anywhere (they've been there for over 50 years) and with somewhere around half the interior sets having to be struck because the storylines in which they were used were over anyway, leaving the rebuilding to only a few interior sets.  What's just needed is for the bridges to be rebuilt between the parties necessary to make it work -- working schedules *can* be met according to the actresses wishes even in getting an episode count that's as large as the network wants to make it econcomically plausible for them.  Most of the actors in the cast could be gathered back up a little more quickly due to character-actor-based nature of the show.  It's do-able if they really want to do it.

4) Remind the network that reviving the show for a real final season would rebuild a lot of goodwill that it's lost from the fans due to not just the cancellation of Gg and VM, but the overall questionable nature of the fall schedule itself.  Let them know that we're really under no illusions about the odds, we just want the show to have the finale it deserves, not the finale it got and we're not about to stop just because you guys are at an impasse.  We understand that you're all very passionate for the work that you do -- it can be tough to turn the boat around once you've decided on a particular course and we respect the feelings and the concerns of everyone involved in the negotiations and want them to go back and each side meet in the middle to get something that makes them happy, to make it work in a way that will leave use happy.  And particularly note to Ms. Ostroff that we want The CW to continue on with The WB's strong identity as an alternative venue for scripted programs on broadcast television rather than head toward UPN's much more weak, failed network identity of . . . just what exactly?  (I forget, but you get the picture.)

5) And then forget what we just wrote for a moment, go recruit more people to send letters and send daisies and make preparations to send more of your own daisies to them.  Choose another person this time if you can afford to send only one bouquet at a time (my suggestion is if you've already sent one to Ostroff to send one to Alexis this time and if you've sent one to Alexis already, then send one to Lauren and so on.

6)  Send letters of gratitude to Patterson, Bishop and Weil for voicing their concerns about the season finale, that we appreciate their work -- please tell them what you liked about their performances, particularly in this season -- and thank them for voicing spot-on evaluations of a season finale that never should have been a series finale.  Sending thank yous to the rest of the cast might just be the encouragement they need to jump back onto the show if we're able to convince the necessary parties to revive it and thanking them may have other unforseen benefits for Gg fans.

JM2C.

-- Rob

PS:  Recruit, recruit, recruit!  We need to expand the infrastructure of the Campaign.

----------------------
Season 8:  Because not jumping is overrated.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 06:57:55 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
Aussie GG Fan
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: May 18, 2007, 07:51:06 pm »

Hi all,

I can't believe it's done with. I've been reading this website since the finale aired just trying to work out what happened. As i live in Australia and the network over here that has the rights doesn't give the show a fair go, all Aussie fans are confused as to when we will actually see the final episode. So something i would like to know if anyone does is when Season 7 will be released on DVD?
I have been emailing the exec's of GG giving them my thoughts about what this show has done for all of it's fans. I am one Gilmore Fan that would scream running down the street if the girls were given a season to close all ends, cos by the sounds of it, i'm going to be even more disappointed about the finale when i do get to watch it.

Cheers

Season 8: because i need to know what happens....
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:11 pm »

Wow...I'm gone for one day and all this happens! Here's my conclusion: the CW is purposely trying to destroy itself. "Beauty and the Geek targets our audience more...blah blah blah." Do they even go outside their studio?! Do they know how huge the Gilmore fan base is??? And whats up with all the reality shows?! Gahh!

And now they have a ridiculous line up. Gossip Girl is the only thing I would consider watching (unless it turns out to be another Laguna Beach type thing). Even though I never really liked VM, its outrageous that they cancel that, GG, and 7th Heaven all in one year. Sooo upsetting. How dare they!

Side note thing - I just saw Scott Patterson on Seinfeld! I knew he was on it a while back but I never saw it! My mom's like "ITS LUKE!" and then I realized again that I will never think of him by anything else but Luke. Same with Lauren as Lorelai and Alexis as Rory. Thats probably what the actors were trying to avoid, but they'll always be from GG to me! Smiley
Arghh...we need an 8th season. Bad. !. And it can happen!

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: May 18, 2007, 08:53:02 pm »

2... but the encore is also an additional, unexpected performance added to the end of the show due to the popular demand of the audience.
Going back to the music analogy for a minute, the encore sort of requires a show-stopping number within the encore set -- a song that Lauren wants to avoid (ie: a big wedding), which frankly, it would be soooooooooooooo easy for me to figure out how to achieve that goal, to play that song.  So if I can do it, the showrunners/writers of a hypothetical s8 should be able to do it, too.

As to:  "due to the popular DEMAND of the audience...": this is especially true if the performer's show seems "slight" to the audience: "demand" becomes palpable in the encore noise. This correlates nicely with the general consensus on the last episode.

As to "the encore sort of requires a show-stopping number..." : I agree conditionally: if a music performer leaves a signature song out of his/her sets, the audience oft times will chant specifically for that--often times it's a show-stopper, but not necessarily. Many "signature tunes" come with no bells and whistles.

As to Lauren Graham being against the big wedding idea; I tend to agree with her, though I COULD be drawn in to the idea if it could be "Gilmore-ized" somehow. Truly, it's hard to see any reason why Luke and Lorelai would want or need a big wedding at all. On the other hand, the thought of the "whole town" being present has a certain seductive quality to it as well.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:25:22 pm by closemike » Logged
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: May 18, 2007, 09:39:21 pm »

Hi all,

I can't believe it's done with. I've been reading this website since the finale aired just trying to work out what happened. As i live in Australia and the network over here that has the rights doesn't give the show a fair go, all Aussie fans are confused as to when we will actually see the final episode. So something i would like to know if anyone does is when Season 7 will be released on DVD?

s7 will probably be released on DVD in the early fall, around the time the TV season begins or, at latest, early-to-mid-December, to cash in on Christmas sales.  But it'll probably be sometime between August and October.

I have been emailing the exec's of GG giving them my thoughts about what this show has done for all of it's fans. I am one Gilmore Fan that would scream running down the street if the girls were given a season to close all ends, cos by the sounds of it, i'm going to be even more disappointed about the finale when i do get to watch it.

Cheers

Oh, you don't know how much the last fifteen minutes are going to make you want to throw your shoe at the screen.  Great season ending, terrible series ending all in the same moments.

-- Rob

---------------------------
Season 8:  Because Babette and Morey need to get a new cat.

---------------------

And in the spirit of being obsessive-compulsive about how many posts I respond to, I've combined two adjacent posts into one.  So I thought I'd take the time right in the middle of it to announce that the CW's comment line was full when I checked it at about 10:30pm CT tonight.  Great! 

Could be due to Gg getting cancelled, could be due to VM getting cancelled, could be due to the suckiness of The CW's new schedule.  I say it's likely all of the above, but great job -- we should keep calling tomorrow, Sunday and Monday.  Don't know if they clear the voicemail even during the weekends, but we should try to max out the voicemail early on Monday and Tuesday -- Tuesday in particular since the VM fans will probably try to max the voice line out, too.
Voicemail, once per day, guys, be persistent.  Long-distance time on cell phones is cheaper on the bigger plans, too, so since these are generallly 1-3 minute calls, it doesn't use up much time at all.  1-818-977-6878.

--------------------

2... but the encore is also an additional, unexpected performance added to the end of the show due to the popular demand of the audience.
Going back to the music analogy for a minute, the encore sort of requires a show-stopping number within the encore set -- a song that Lauren wants to avoid (ie: a big wedding), which frankly, it would be soooooooooooooo easy for me to figure out how to achieve that goal, to play that song.  So if I can do it, the showrunners/writers of a hypothetical s8 should be able to do it, too.

As to:  "due to the popular DEMAND of the audience...": this is especially true if the performer's show seems "slight" to the audience: "demand" becomes palpable in the encore noise. This correlates nicely with the general consensus on the last episode.

As to "the encore sort of requires a show-stopping number..." : I agree conditionally: if a music performer leaves a signature song out of his/her sets, the audience oft times will chant specifically for that--often times it's a show-stopper, but not necessarily. Many "signature tunes" come with no bells and whistles.

ITA -- for instance, it would be a crime for Clapton to leave "Tears In Heaven' out of a set no matter that it's not a show-stopper.  It's a brilliantly underplayed, wistful tune.  More to the Gg point, Sam Phillips probably can't ever leave her song "Reflecting Light" out of any concert because of the show now -- and it's so much a song of underplayed emotion that sweeps *because* it's underplayed.

As to Lauren Graham being against the big wedding idea; I tend to agree with her, though I COULD be drawn in to the idea if it could be "Gilmore-ized" somehow. Truly, it's hard to see any reason why Luke and Lorelai would want or need a big wedding at all. On the other hand, the thought of the "whole town" being present has a certain seductive quality to it as well. 

The Big Wedding Idea could be "Gilmoreized" so to speak -- and I'd front-load it into the first episode back.  I figured out a way to do it that would screw with people's heads *without* breaking Lor and Luke up *and* not finding out about the resolution of it until a soft fade on a real series finale.  All I've got to say is that Lorelai and Luke have never done anything in the right order, so it would be easy IMO to break the story in a way that makes everyone happy, Lauren, Scott, the fans, etc. WITHOUT the Big Wedding Event or The Big Birth event.  There are certain things that can happen on the show due to its internal logic (and a certain amount of math) that would defy the expected conventions while embracing them at the same time.  I think there's a way to end the show that would end it on a crazier, yet quieter, less rushed note than this season left us on and *still* find a way to bring Rory into the episodes as little or as much as Alexis might want (so totally can't read her mind) as long as Lauren wanted to do another season (can't read her mind either).  If I were someone at Warner in the DVD or studio departments, I'd seriously be calculating if it would be worthwhile to put out a 13-episode final season on DVD only.  And then I'd just disregard any math that said, "No" in favor of saying "This completes the show, so any projected short-term losses are mitigated by the creative contribution of ending it the way it should end."  Which is what we need to convince the CW of, too.

-- Rob

---------------------------
Season 8:  Because stories should end when they're supposed to end, not even a minute before, much less a year too early.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:07:50 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
ChocolatGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: May 19, 2007, 04:00:09 am »

I just wanted to say let's keep the positive attitudes up here[/u]!  It's great to see so many positive voices.  Please keep in mind that if you have an opinion about why season 8 might not be a good idea, it's great that you have that opinion, but our mission here is the Great8Mandate.  That's our specific task.  And we know based on 7th Heaven that this is anything but a long shot!  So let's keep those attitudes high and please, if you don't want a season 8, that's fine, but don't come here to harp on why it's not going to happen. 

Great point!     Smiley

{Daisy Duke. Java Junkie. Literati. Closet Case.}
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: May 19, 2007, 05:54:56 am »

i' very disappointed in many of you, acting like its time to give up. Sure it's a long shot, but every now and then long shots win.....(don't you guys remember Giachmo in the 2005 Kentucky Derby, lond shot! but he won and theres a million just like him) I say we boost up this campagine so much they have no choice but to bring GG back. I think we need to start thinking bigger...were going toneed alot of people to save GG, myspace is good way to start recruting (everone send bullitens tellling Gilmore fans what they can do to save the show) i don't know if anyone been to that facebok page yet but their not most positive group of people. I know somebody already said an online petition wasn't very effective, but we have alrady sent letters and emails, so one more thing couldn't hert. So just don'tgive up and just spread the word.....the most effective campage has lots of people.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
britni
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: May 19, 2007, 06:03:35 am »

Also,i've got one more idea....lets make our goal to get David Lettermen to say something to Alexis about the great8mandate on friday, below I put the adress and e-mailadress star writing people....and be positive, write only good thing about Alexis....things that Dave will want to read. If nothing else it willget the word out that there are people out there trying to save GG.

P.S. Don't give up....we can do it, and remeber Myspace bullitens, those things spread like wildfire....just mak sure youwrite something like repost this or you will have bad luck for 10 years or somthing like that.

Ed Sullivan Theater
(212) 975-4321
1697 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

[email protected]

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: May 19, 2007, 06:31:58 am »

@ britni: i don't really get why you think that we're giving up  Embarrassed IMO the atmosphere is positive here and most of the people want to help! so don't worry, we won't give up!  Wink

Nvr2old4GG
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: May 19, 2007, 06:47:04 am »

Hello!                                                                                                                                                  I have never done anything like this before!  I joined to share my protests, ideas and information.  First of all, I recently purchased the first 6 seasons of GG.  I am enjoying the extras on each of the DVDs.  I found particularly interesting ASP's take on putting a positive intelligent show on TV.  She made the comment that if you give people higher quality, they will respond to it.  Well, it is a shame that she decided to mess with her own show formula in the contract negotiations she and her husband went through last year. As I looked through the pamphlets that came with the DVDs, I noticed that there were alot of episodes NOT written by either she or her husband.  That made me wonder.  As the years went on, she and her husband seemed to take over writing and directing.  I guess my point is that there are others around who wrote shows....WHERE did they go?  If all of this got dumped on DR, why didn't someone think to get this man some assistance from former writers?  (or maybe he did get help by January.)

As for this season, I wasn't able to find the CW on my cable system for awhile, so I did miss a few episodes but I must say my stomach turned when I realized what Chris and Lor had done.  I was very disappointed at the last 2 weeks' shows.  All plotlines seemed to move in "warp speed " to the end.  The "finale" was a season finale that was possibly re-edited to look a little more like a series finale.  I know that I read that Lauren ask DR to "take a look at the show" to make sure there was closure in some parts of the story.  I didn't feel that that happened and I feel that it was unfair to give us a 2 epidsode warning for the final show.

I am not in the right demographic area."  I found this show on ABC Family Channel.  I am a recently retired elementary school teacher.  I am 55.....way out of the demographic area!  LOL! At first I heard promos...single mom/daughter relationship. I face(d) that situation every day at my job, so I didn't think I wanted to watch it at home. (I really realize how difficult that job is!!!)  HOWEVER, there was a promo where Rory made some comment( I know.....lots of you have all of these quotes memorized!) about dating and "not being Amish."  That caught my attention....I do like witty, smart banter, so I started to tune in.  I was hooked. I admire the strong messages about getting a good eduaction.  Rory (and Paris) really gave young women, especially, fine messages for learning how to take control of their own futures.  They had goals and the show let us see how they handled the problems or roadblocks in their lives.  There aren't many shows like this left on ANY television station.

AND, it goes without saying that Lorelai/ LG was the "guiding light" in so many ways on this show.  I understand that she is worn out/wanting to try other things.  I also understand that the "mother/daughter" relationship we saw glowing on the screen has to be a result of the amazing friendship these 2 actresses have.  I can understand why LG didn't want to come back without AB.  And I am sure that everyone can understand how a talented young woman (AB) would want to try something else or just take a break.  With all of that said, we are all missing something.

The name of the show is/was Gilmore Girls...meaning more than one.  If you really think about it, there are THREE Gilmore Girls.  It just so happened that the inital focus was on Lorelai and Rory.  At the end of 7 seasons, it was so obvious that Lorelai had "given Rory everything that she needed" to leave home.  But what the show took so long to bring out is that stuffy "New England Emily" needs Lorelai's guidance even more than Rory did.  Actually, they are just life skills.  I could remind everyone of the many times Lorelai's influence changed Emily for the better but I will just list a few:  Emily tasted the "mashed bananna on toast" that she had given Lorelai as a child and ran screaming from the room......"What was I thinking?  This is awful?" (paraphrased).
Emily learned tennis shoes didn't look so bad with her prim suits, what and where the "Food Court" was in the local mall, that going out to a "club" wearing "vicious trollop" red lipstick,  eating peanuts from a common bowl at the bar  (where she was actually going to eat her dinner..shock), and best of all....stealing that wonderful robe from the spa!  Every episode enlightened Emily a little more. When Lor showed Emily where and how to access the accounts in the computer that she and Richard owned, she really showed utter amazement that Lorelai could do all of those things! (But, of course, the next day, she was back to her critical self!)   Even Rory breathed a new energy into Emily's DAR group. Emily seemed to take her lessons better from Rory because she still resented Lorelai's different behavior as a teenager and possibly envied the fact that Lor did rebel and make a new kind of life for herself and Rory! "You make me proud to be your grandmother!")

So, in the end, is Emily as prepared for the rest of her life as Rory?  I don't think so.  There is still alot of story that can be told about Emily and Lorelai and maybe April.  (But I never bought that Scienc Fair DNA thing!)  I know....it wouldn't be the same with AB, but why can't AB make guest appearances?  The writers can take a hint from Dick Wolf of the Law&Order shows....." stories ripped from the headlines" concerning the presidential campaign and weave them into Rory's reports back to her family.  There is plenty of "hay" to be made from today's political scene!!!

Several times in the final episode, Emily alluded to getting involved in the Dragonfly's business.  It wouldn't be hard to see Emily buy out Sookie's share of the Inn.  Sookie could stay on but have more free time for her children.  Emily has seen what a capable businesswoman Lorelai is at times but this would give her a new perspective.  And Richard has mellowed and come to appreciate Lorelai for the person she has become and would probably side with Lorelai in business decisions.  LASTLY, these extra shows (13 but I would settle for Cool would be a great time to let Emily and Richard see Luke in the same light that Lorelai does.  AND HOW STRONG THEIR LOVE REALLY IS!!

I have written and called the CW.  I found a list of sponsors somewhere on this site and emailed EVERY sponsor concerning the situation. I hit Toyota really hard because Rory drives a Prius!  I got responses back from them all saying they would forward my messages to the marketing department.  I have some snail mail to get out yet and I am not going to give up.  I know Lauren said that doing a few more episodes might be an "Oops".....didn't need those...... but I really think the network owes all of the the viewers a complete, well-written send-off.  I would even settle for a 2 hour movie.  I wouldn't feel cheated with that!!
Well, those are my ideas....   Heck, wait and bring them back in January or February if they need extra time.  There is nothing left for me to watch on the CW!

AND "Where they lead, I will follow....." as long as it ends in a great finale!

DID RORY EVER GO TO FEZ?.....I think NOT!................ YET!

Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: