The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 08:03:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1762438 times)
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: May 18, 2007, 09:50:23 am »

Okay im obviously new to this forum, so could someone whos been around for a while tell me what i can do to help support a gilmore girls 8th season.
you can find the instructions on the first page of this thread!  Wink just check out the first post which is updated by heidi regularly.
you could call the network, send mails / daisies or contact advertisers! all the addresses are listed on the first page! it's cool that you want to help too!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:52:16 am by Junkie » Logged

lalaliz2005
« Reply #5161 on: May 18, 2007, 09:51:27 am »

Okay im obviously new to this forum, so could someone whos been around for a while tell me what i can do to help support a gilmore girls 8th season.

The best thing to do is go to the first page of this thread and read about sending letters. All the addresses are listed. Don't send letter to Alexis/Lorelai to the CW studio... use the address for their managers. We've been sending letters like crazy. There is also a Daisy Campaign going and we are calling the CW Comment line. The number is 1-818-977-6878.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:54:01 am by lalaliz2005 » Logged
heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: May 18, 2007, 10:18:02 am »

Sooo, I just called the comment line and left what I call a polite and cheerful rant.  (Disguise the disgruntledness with kindess!)

Here are some points that I hit, for those of you who want to call but want something over to say than "Bring Gilmore Girls back," or who are at a loss.

1.) The CW had the opportunity this past fall (2006) to become one of the premiere networks on TV.  With the merging of the WB and UPN, there was a lot of potentialy for all parties and shows involved to benefit.  However, with the loss of family dramas like Everwood, 7th Heaven, Veronica Mars, and now Gilmore Girls, they are going to experience a drop in ratings.  They may be trying to appeal to a younger audience -- but viewers are viewers.  Who cares what age they are if you're blowing the ratings out of the water? 

2.) As a fan, I found it really disappointing and deeply saddening that president Dawn Ostroff was relatively disparaging about the fans.  I don't run a network, so I can't say for sure, but I am relatively positive that most fans like to feel like the network they watch appreciate their interest. 

3.) To say that the Gilmore Girls appealed to a different audience is not necessarily true.  While yes, Gilmore Girls does appeal to a broad range of people - from 10 to 100 - it does really appeal to what their target audience is, as well -- that 14-24 age bracket or thereabout.  I am 21 and I can say, for certain, that Gilmore Girls is my favorite show.  As a middle school cheerleading coach, a dance instructor for ages 5+ and a member of a sorority at a public university, I can say for a fact that this show is widely popular among all those age gaps.  Also, in the promotion of a show like the Next Pussycat Doll and America's Next Top Model, you can't tell me that they are appealing to the 12-14 old crowd.  Those shows draw just as many 20-something as they do younger kids -- but if I were a parent, I can say I wouldn't let my daughter or son watch "The Next Pussycat Doll" or "Farmer Finds a Wife" or "America's Next Top Model," because while they may be entertaining, they wouldn't promote the values I want a young, impressionable mind to wrap their brain around.  I would, however, let them watch Gilmore Girls, a quality show of substance with positive messages.

4.) I am 21 years old, so I have better things to do in my life than boycott a TV network -- I just find the shows that I like and I watch them, regardless of station.  Honestly speaking, there is nothing in the fall lineup for the CW that catches my attention.  This will be the first time since I was 11 years old that there isn't one fall show I'm interested in.  The CW Network should be interested in retention -- that is, retaining the fans of the WB and UPN, while gaining new fans.  However, in the past year, the CW has effectively pulled the rug out of all the very loyal WB fans who, with this kind of lineup, will not likely come back.  A sizeable chunk of America may love every single reality show, and that's great.  But there is another sizeable chunk, the kind that is forgotten about, who like a show that has substance and humor without being crude.  (Of course, there is the intersecting fraction that loves both.)  Keeping Gilmore Girls would appeal to larger audiences than something like Beauty and the Geek.

5.) Finally, I encouraged them to do some research.  Google "Great8Mandate," or go to www.gilmoregirls.org to see the outpouring of fans deeply sad about the loss of a quality show.  Go to websites like savemyshow.com and teavee.com to see how well Gilmore Girls does, consistently in voting.  I also provided my email address.

It sounds like it was a long message, but it was really only about 2 minutes or so (I talk at Lorelai speed!).  However, I think I got the important things in.  I will call again tomorrow or later this evening.

Keep dialing, folks!  Smiley

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: May 18, 2007, 10:24:03 am »

I get what you're saying Brit; but alot of people are finding it really hard to let go --Hell, I'm one of them.

That sounds like "5 Stages of Death" and you're saying we're stuck in "denial".

But in doing so, aren't you treating GG, the series, as if it were a human being? ...meaning "metaphorically", since TV series' don't die really, they just stop being made.

One can't bring a human back to life once they've been dead for a while--not yet at least. With a TV Series, you can, and it has already been done--at least once: hence our "glimmer of hope."

Personally, I feel a strange mixture of "lovesickness" and grief......and this board will be excellent "therapy" for me since, like most everyone else here, I believe we can help eachother feel better, while we go about doing what we can  to make a difference and maybe bring about a "change of heart."

What we are doing also DOUBLES as a wonderful compliment to Graham and Bledel and cast, not unlike how an appreciative audience will clap and stomp their feet after a music concert. If nothing more, I want them to know that GG has been an intregal part of my life, an "irrational love" that I knew one day would have to end, but hopefully not yet:)

Mike
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:38:17 am by closemike » Logged
javalova
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: May 18, 2007, 10:37:15 am »

As of 12:30 Central, the comment line is still open.  I told them that I was very insulted by D.O.'s comments about their viewers.  I told them that when the networks merged, I (as well as thousands of other viewers) were really hoping that they would keep their programs to a higher standard-which they have not.  I also said that in addition to losing Gilmore Girls, we now have to be insulted by D.O.'s comments! Huh Angry
iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:20 am »

When we call that number who are we calling?
britni
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: May 18, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

I've been thinking about and the finale was really left wide open, its almost like they wrote before they decided there wasn't going to be an 8th season. didn't they talk about makining the show with just lorali and luke for season 8, if so I think it really gives me hope, beacuse it was left wide open for that.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/great8mandate

Also be sure to visit www.savethelorelais.org
Junkie
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: May 18, 2007, 10:50:28 am »

I've been thinking about and the finale was really left wide open, its almost like they wrote before they decided there wasn't going to be an 8th season. didn't they talk about makining the show with just lorali and luke for season 8, if so I think it really gives me hope, beacuse it was left wide open for that.
when they shot the final, it was considered as either a season or a series final.  Undecided and a season with just luke and lorelai wouldn't work, i think, because lauren once said that she would only come back for another season with alexis. and besides it's called "gilmore gilrs" so it would be weird if rory was gone all the time.

britni
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: May 18, 2007, 11:03:43 am »

it would be different, but if you think about it the show is about more than just Rory and Loreali, yeah its called gilmore girls but really its about all of stars hallow...LUke, suke, jackson, lane zach, kirk.......they have all influenced that show just as much as Loreali and rory, and i think it could work with just luke and loreali.

If you want closure to Gilmore Girls story, either by movie or a season 8 be sure to sign the petition at:

Junkie
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: May 18, 2007, 11:08:07 am »

it might work, but as i said before, lauren wouldn't do it without alexis... i can imagine that they could handle it with guest appearances of alexis though. rory is in iowa anyway... whatever... the most important thing is to fight on for season 8  Wink

ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: May 18, 2007, 11:17:28 am »

It's a voicemail line that more than likely is operated under the auspices of the media/public relations/publicity department under VP of Media Relations, etc., Paul Macguire (sic?).  It's also almost surely maintained by the same people who take care of the similar comments section at cwtv.com's Lounge at www.cwtv.com .  That's why it's even more important to write letters to Dawn Ostroff, to Alexis (who may have been the big holdout) and to Lauren and send them by snail mail -- registered/return receipt if possible.  A return as a midseason replacement isn't out of the realm of possibility, much less plausibility, so just spreading the word to others to also write snail mail about getting them all to rebuild the burnt bridges and work something out will help -- every little bit helps.  Blamethrowing, of course, *won't* help -- I mean, we *don't* care who cancelled the show or why, we certainly want the show to come back, but at the same time, the way that the CW has handled the cancellation has been badly done even in light of not considering who's at fault for it all.  Moreover, the schedule that they've announced is *terrible* and virtually all of the possible demographics, from the target demos of younger women to college age men like me are totally alienated by the schedule in general.  Letting Ostroff know that renewing Gg for a real final season would be a good step to regain the trust that they've totally lost -- but the simple fact of the matter is now that it may be one or both of the actresses that may need the most convincing.

BTW, just as something to spitball out there to anyone who lives within real commute distance of New York City -- Alexis is going to be on Letterman on Friday night, May 25th (a week from tonight).  Letterman actually shoots something like two or three shows at a time, so Bledel's appearance may be taped on Wednesday or Thursday of next week (it almost certainly won't be Friday).

MISSION REQUEST:    "Assignment:  Alexis"[/b]

(cue Mission: Impossible theme music)

I'm asking any of you who might live around NYC to go to the Ed Sullivan Theater or call it to ask when Alexis is going to be there next week to tape her episode and if there are any tickets still available?  If you can still get in, then great!  Book tickets (IIRC, they're cheap).  Even if they say it's totally booked (and it might not be), please psot here and/or to the facebook group when she's going to be there.  

Organize a Save Gilmore ad hoc meeting outside the theater on the taping day -- taping generally starts IIRC around 5:00pm ET or so, so arriving around 4pm or earlier would be optimal, but for those of you who can't, get there as soon as you can.  Buy yellow daisies to have delivered to her (somebody ask Biff Henderson or an assistant stage manager if daisies can be sent to her at the theater).  Print out large season 8 logos and either make your own buttons out of them or just pin the paper print out (cut it out into a circle) onto your shirt or jacket/hoodie and wear them outside the theater as an ID.  Give her daisies, give her written letters that you might otherwise send by snail mail.  Those of you who arrive during the taping, still try to get flowers and your letters delivered to her *during* the taping. Take my suggestions for letter-writing ettiquette that I'lll post here again in a few minutes (as soon as I'm finished editing them again).  Please remember to politely ask the Letterman crew if you can do this -- they might want to make something of it on the show (and if they don't ask you if they can make something of it on the show, ask them yourselves.)

Also, we need someone to volunteer to lead this project ASAP!  I'm in Central Missouri, so I obviously can't do it.  Wink  Bringing out your banners and T-shirts and placards -- everything that you'd do if you were in front of the Today Show window would be super, too.  Heck, stand in front of the Today Show window that morning, too, if you can!

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because there's still story left to tell about RORY, too.  Even without Logan.
britni
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: May 18, 2007, 11:33:09 am »

I was really upset, but now im just mad....we wated seven years to see a weding ad we never got to see it. The more I thik about that finale the more mad I get. We have to get a Gilmore Girls season 8. I mea is theere anything else we can do besides send letters and emails.....probaly not but im still thinking.

MonicaKeller
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5172 on: May 18, 2007, 11:41:13 am »

Maybe anyone that lives in New York City can bring signs to TRL? If you can get inside to be in the audience, you can where buttons, t-shirts, etc. Maybe tell them what you are doing, and they might put you on the air.

I have another idea. Since we know that Alexis is going to be on Letterman, why not send letters and/or e-mails directly to him? If he gets enough of those, and if he then sees people there with the buttons, letter, t-shirts, etc, he might be more willing to do or say something.

Just a thought. I, as well am trying to think of other ideas.

I was just on web site of the late show with David Letterman and came across an e-mail address and regular address. Here they are:

For all show-related topics, e-mail us at:
[email protected]

Late Show with David Letterman
c/o David Letterman
1697 Broadway
New York, NY 10019
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:45:24 am by MonicaKeller » Logged

Gilmores-Forever
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 38

View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: May 18, 2007, 11:42:40 am »

good thoughts =)
i would do that if i ilved in NYC, and i will most deffinatly send in emails!

sarah =)
lalaliz2005
« Reply #5174 on: May 18, 2007, 11:43:43 am »

It's a voicemail line that more than likely is operated under the auspices of the media/public relations/publicity department under VP of Media Relations, etc., Paul Macguire (sic?).  It's also almost surely maintained by the same people who take care of the similar comments section at cwtv.com's Lounge at www.cwtv.com .  That's why it's even more important to write letters to Dawn Ostroff, to Alexis (who may have been the big holdout) and to Lauren and send them by snail mail -- registered/return receipt if possible.  A return as a midseason replacement isn't out of the realm of possibility, much less plausibility, so just spreading the word to others to also write snail mail about getting them all to rebuild the burnt bridges and work something out will help -- every little bit helps.  Blamethrowing, of course, *won't* help -- I mean, we *don't* care who cancelled the show or why, we certainly want the show to come back, but at the same time, the way that the CW has handled the cancellation has been badly done even in light of not considering who's at fault for it all.  Moreover, the schedule that they've announced is *terrible* and virtually all of the possible demographics, from the target demos of younger women to college age men like me are totally alienated by the schedule in general.  Letting Ostroff know that renewing Gg for a real final season would be a good step to regain the trust that they've totally lost -- but the simple fact of the matter is now that it may be one or both of the actresses that may need the most convincing.

BTW, just as something to spitball out there to anyone who lives within real commute distance of New York City -- Alexis is going to be on Letterman on Friday night, May 25th (a week from tonight).  Letterman actually shoots something like two or three shows at a time, so Bledel's appearance may be taped on Wednesday or Thursday of next week (it almost certainly won't be Friday).

MISSION REQUEST:    "Assignment:  Alexis"[/b]

(cue Mission: Impossible theme music)

I'm asking any of you who might live around NYC to go to the Ed Sullivan Theater or call it to ask when Alexis is going to be there next week to tape her episode and if there are any tickets still available?  If you can still get in, then great!  Book tickets (IIRC, they're cheap).  Even if they say it's totally booked (and it might not be), please psot here and/or to the facebook group when she's going to be there.  

Organize a Save Gilmore ad hoc meeting outside the theater on the taping day -- taping generally starts IIRC around 5:00pm ET or so, so arriving around 4pm or earlier would be optimal, but for those of you who can't, get there as soon as you can.  Buy yellow daisies to have delivered to her (somebody ask Biff Henderson or an assistant stage manager if daisies can be sent to her at the theater).  Print out large season 8 logos and either make your own buttons out of them or just pin the paper print out (cut it out into a circle) onto your shirt or jacket/hoodie and wear them outside the theater as an ID.  Give her daisies, give her written letters that you might otherwise send by snail mail.  Those of you who arrive during the taping, still try to get flowers and your letters delivered to her *during* the taping. Take my suggestions for letter-writing ettiquette that I'lll post here again in a few minutes (as soon as I'm finished editing them again).  Please remember to politely ask the Letterman crew if you can do this -- they might want to make something of it on the show (and if they don't ask you if they can make something of it on the show, ask them yourselves.)

Also, we need someone to volunteer to lead this project ASAP!  I'm in Central Missouri, so I obviously can't do it.  Wink  Bringing out your banners and T-shirts and placards -- everything that you'd do if you were in front of the Today Show window would be super, too.  Heck, stand in front of the Today Show window that morning, too, if you can!

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because there's still story left to tell about RORY, too.  Even without Logan.

Ahh....Rob. I love you! LoL. You have the best ideas!!!! I hope this works. This is one time I actually wished I live in NYC. Have you posted your idea in the NYC thread? There's also a Northeast Thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:51:01 am by lalaliz2005 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: