The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:50:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1733386 times)
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5115 on: May 17, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »

There are several problems with your money raising idea, I'm afraid to say. One of them is that we would be breaking a federal law and that would hurt us more. A network can't accept money from veiwers unless from promotional funds, product/advertisers, merchandise and charity funds. Ratings is basically where all those funds merge together because networks get paid more when they have more ratings which reflects veiwers. At least that's what I think. ShutUpRob might have more information on this to confirm it or not. Sending flowers is all ready risky because I'm not sure a network is allowed to accept gifts.

There's probably many loopholes, one might be making the money a "personal gift"  which I think is still legal; of course if Bledel and Graham didn't decide to do the show, they would "refuse" the gift...

...certainly thinking "it CAN'T be done" would become a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who believed that.

Mike

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off all "The Secret" with my last remark, there:)

I meant my main post to be an imaginative exercise, a rejection of feeling like a "victim", and an inner search for what it means to me to be a fan--what COULD I do, what WOULD I do?

More than likely I would stop short of "pledging" ...or making a "gift" of said money...for I'd feel guilty that there were more "worthy" causes.

I wanted to get to the place where I could "see", could "envision" that I had some power, beyond the online voting and phone calls, which seems to me more a metaphorical stomping of feet...though certainly, if you stomp long enough, and LOUD enough, you can get that encore. Maybe 2 or 3...

Perhaps I will come to see that a "fan" is a powerless "victim" who must take what the networks dish out, or simply not watch: no third option...but I'm not there yet:)

Mike

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:54:51 pm by closemike » Logged
heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: May 17, 2007, 10:49:36 pm »

Found this from Mike Ausiello's column -- not sure if it's already been posted, but it seems like he's feeling the same way we are ...

Question: Michael, here's your last chance of answering a Gilmore Girls-related question. Take a moment to compose yourself, and then answer this: What did you think of the series finale?— Leila
Ausiello: Like the Grey's spin-off, it read much better on paper. On screen, it felt rushed, overly shmaltzy and, ultimately, unfulfilling — and the whole thing kind of depresses me. I'll have more to say in this week's podcast.

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
SerenitylovesGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: May 17, 2007, 11:25:27 pm »

Ok the CW has posted their fall lineup and they also have clips of the new shows. I dont know about any of you but i think that they are all really bad. Might I add I came to them with a positive attitude and I truly was looking for some glims of hope that atleast one would be as good as GG but sad to say they were really bad. After seeing the new shows I think that there will be alot of ended shows just like what happened to the Black Donallys. I really enjoyed that show but if ended with out warning. If a show like that cant get on its feet then the CW line up will also fall. I dont feel that we will have a need to boycot as some say and that is because the CW will do it for us. I do feel that it is very important to keep going as one person mis quoted it is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" but the point is still the same. The longer we keep at it the more the network will see that we really want this and that is the chance we will have to change things. Keep up the hard work

Oh and the postcards that were put together I have been having trouble with them. can you please email me so i can print them off and send them thanks so much
SerenitylovesGG
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: May 17, 2007, 11:35:34 pm »

Mondays
8-everybody hates chris
8:30-aliens in america
9-girlfriends
9:30-the game

Tuesday
8-beauty and the geek
9-reaper

wednesday
8-Americans next top model
9-reaper

Thursday
8-smallville
9-supernatural

Firday
8-Friday night smackdown

Sunday
7-CW Now
7:30-Online Nation
8-Life is wild
9-America's Next top model encore

Comming soons

Pussycat dolls present
Farmer wants a wife
Crowned
One Tree Hill
SerenitylovesGG
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:23 pm »

sorry opps wednesday at 9 is Gossip girl
KuKuLeNiLeNi
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

There Must Be A SEASON 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5120 on: May 17, 2007, 11:40:56 pm »

I think Ms. D.O is trying to kill the CW,she won't be getting viewers if she keeps that schedule,I'm talking from the Basque Country now, but I'll be living in Colorado from August to February,so that new Fall schedule also affects me....I just hate it!

We must keep mandating!

SerenitylovesGG
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:26 pm »

they have clips for
aliens in america - this does not look good
Gossip girls- this is ok it could have some potential but hmmmmmmmm more than likely not
reaper- are they really trying to creat another supernatural- dont get me wrong I love supernatural but another one two at once are they really that stupid? and this one looks really bad
Life is wild- hmmm this one I think could be ok as well but the jury is still out on it.
SerenitylovesGG
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:31 pm »

Has anyone found out anything new Has anyone been able to talk to the CW in person or on the phone. Is there a way to be able to contact a person. Can anyone living near the studio try to talk to the network? I am in WA state so I cant other wise I would try
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: May 18, 2007, 12:14:36 am »

It is 10PM. I just called Paul Mcguire's personal voice mail and was able to leave a message. I commented on my great disappointment with the upfronts and asked that they  begin negotiations to bring back Gilmore Girls. I also mentioned the ratings. Fill up the mailbox, people.
818-977-0040
What could be said, Rob, that would concerning his particular interests?    theladyjedi

Since Mcguire's position is VP of Media Relations/Publicity, it's probably best to stress that he's got a disaster on his hands with 1) Dawn Ostroff's condescending and wholly misleading brush-off of Gilmore Girls, 2) the overall disaster of the lineup regardless of whether or not Gg or VM are on it and 3) how little there is to interest viewers in your demo who want to escape from the reality crap on E! and VH-1, to escape from American Idol and Dancing With the Stars, and who want stories that aren't forensics procedurals. 

-- Rob

------------------------
Season 8:  Because Gossip Girl should be on Tuesday nights at 8, but due to the initials can never go there because of how badly the CW handled the Gilmore situation. 

So is it really over or can we still save the Gilmores? Undecided I thought the fall lineup was going to  come out today did it?

Technically, the show is cancelled, but we can get it back if we work at it hard enough.  I don't want to sound like [really old, obscure movie reference] Mickey Rooney in 'Babes In Arms' [/really old, obscure movie reference] but now's the time to barrage them.  If you want to do petitions, do petitions in your own area, have them signed by people that you want to have save it.  Online petitions don't work.  Someone can make up a design for a petition and I could write up a petition text, but you really should have people sign the petitions, name, age, gender email address and address (for those too paranoid, city and state would be fine, but full address should be the goal).

Keep up the letter writing -- if you've written to them already, write to them again, once or twice a week -- now's the time where you can start elaborating on stuff you didn't write about the first time.  If you haven't sent your letters by registered mail/return receipt (which is extra, of course) then do that, too, as at least you know the letter was received.

Also, please, make copies of either my Operation: Daisy Duke manifesto or my Letter Writing campaign message or both and have them with you to hand out to people.  Please print the most recent ones out as there are a LOT of tpyos sotyp typos in earlier versions.  The daisy sending should not end.  If you can send more, send more -- you may be able to send them by the dozen (which should be cheaper, in the $20 range) rather than in a huge, expensive vase of the $40 range.  If you find someone who wants to help out that's just joining in, ask them to send daisies to their choice of Alexis, Lauren or Dawn Ostroff.  If you sent your daisies to Lauren or Dawn, maybe have them send their daisies to Alexis.

Spread the word through your facebook pages and myspace pages and blogs.  Link to this thread -- when I link, I tend to insert a link to the page with the most recent version of the ODD Manifesto or the Letter-Writing Campaign.  Start emailing to television critics -- don't ask them *if* the show's going to come back, they'll just try to break to you what we already know, that it's cancelled.  Just tell them that you're ticked off and you want them to tell Ostroff that cancelling Gg was wrong, the entire schedule is wrong and insulting us in so many ways since May 2nd has been totally wrong.  Be polite and direct -- no namecalling, keep it to "I want" and "I feel" statements, that sort of thing.  ("I needs" are begging statements -- don't use them.) and "With these shows gone, there's nothing here for me to watch.  Be sure to identify yourself by name, age and city/state.  Same goes for leaving voicemail with the network.

-- Rob

---------------------
Season 8:  Because there's definitely too little scripted programming on the network's Fall Schedule.  The network needs to be saved from itself.

Hello all,

I read through the last few pages of this long thread. I'm upset by the cancellation as well; but the phone calls, the online voting, the flowers...I have mixed feelings on how effective that kind of campaign will work.

Please humor me for a moment as I truly don't understand "big business"...and I don't know if you've already talked about this...but

there IS ONE SUREFIRE WAY TO GET A SEASON 8!

....(sorry for yelling, I wanted to get all yours attention)...

Money is the reason negotiations broke down, and money is the only thing that will bring the three main parties back to the table to negotiate anew.

Here is what I am proposing COULD be done: we offer to "pay the difference" between what CW offerred and what Lauren and Alexis asked for. Plain and simple...of course, executing this plan entails an AMAZING amount of
organizing, and a reputable business law firm would need to be hired to handle the negotiations, and advise on how to collect the pledged money, among other things.

I'm just spitballin' here:)

[snip!]

Now, feel free to rip these ideas apart!

Mike

That was actually tried with Star Trek: Enterprise.  Someone rich (a dotcommer, I suppose) actually put up the entire budget for one episode (around $2 million) in an effort to try to get a money-matching idea going and told by either the studio or the network not to, that they wouldn't accept the money -- because buying in means that you own not just a piece of the show, but the entire given episode of the show.  No network is going to give up rights to their properties in that way, it only happens through mergers, acquistions and hostile takeovers of entire studios and networks to pull that off.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because Richard and Emily have too much time and money on their hands.

Edited to merge three posts in a row when I noticed that they were three posts in a row.   Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:25:44 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
Nemova
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: May 18, 2007, 12:57:06 am »

UPDATE:

http://www.savemyshow.com/shows/gilmoregirls.htm

94% - 9143 votes

EDITED:

94% - 9214 votes

in less than ten minutes!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:12:19 am by Nemova » Logged

Not ready to let go of Gilmore Girls - it ain't over 'til it's over.
smallactor5
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: May 18, 2007, 01:33:40 am »

For anyone on Facebook, there is a Great8Mandate group that right now has 237 members.  I'm not sure what we can do with that, but I know several people I've invited have joined and probably found out about this site that way.  We can use all the publicity we can get!
asense0fhope
Town Troubadour

WE WONT GIVE IN TIL WE SEE A WEDDING!

View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: May 18, 2007, 02:19:36 am »

unfortunately i think the saveoneshow.com vote is kinda useless =(

although i AM voting, the page is ONLY for if you want gilmore girls and not, and most likely, if you're NOT a gilmore fan (how could this be?!) you're not going around for ways to DESTROY it.
you're simply not watching it.

I don't look for ways to get shows i don't like canceled - so i'm assuming most others don't either.

so therefore i think only gilmore FANS are why we're holding it at 94%

(as for the other 6 % of people, go find something better to do with your time rather then just getting on people's nerves, stop looking up ways to make other people unhappy, and start looking up things that you LIKE.)

it's 5 am, please excuse the rant.

OY WITH THE POODLES ALREADY!
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: May 18, 2007, 02:36:11 am »

That was actually tried with Star Trek: Enterprise.  Someone rich (a dotcommer, I suppose) actually put up the entire budget for one episode (around $2 million) in an effort to try to get a money-matching idea going and told by either the studio or the network not to, that they wouldn't accept the money -- because buying in means that you own not just a piece of the show, but the entire given episode of the show.  No network is going to give up rights to their properties in that way, it only happens through mergers, acquistions and hostile takeovers of entire studios and networks to pull that off.

-- Rob

-----------------------

Still, it's a question of money and desire.  With enough money and desire, there would be season 8. CW did NOT have the desire or the money... or the desire to pay Bledel and Graham the money (that they asked for)...

If CW had more money to offer, would they have? Probably not, as they appear to be attempting to appeal to the lowest common demonator of viewer, now. In there minds, with the money they were shelling out on GG, they can do ten reality/game shows...How did Robert Duvall put it in "Network" ....

CHANEY

(stands) All I know is that this violates every canon of respectable broadcasting.

HACKETT

We're not a respectable network. We're a whorehouse network, and we have to take whatever we can get.

*************************************************************************************************

Your approach is much more practical, and seems to be a variation of organized, peaceful protest, where overwhelming and filibustering the target is the goal.

But as long as it's just CW vs. GG fans, I wonder how effective a barrage of snailmail and phone calls will be. Certainly there is precedent for this method working; the longer and more persistent, the more chance of succeeding. Wear them down over time. Some protests succeed; the ones the media cover especially so.

If CW DOES give in and makes Graham and Bledel a better offer, one problem still remains: CW is STILL the network that axed them ifor "America's Next Top Alien-Geek" or some such nonsense; iow, they would STILL be a bottom scraping network--- albeit with one quality show....Okay maybe two or three if you count "Superboy" and "One Tree Hill" but I wouldn't know.

I wish there were enough of us that we could have the financial clout of one filthy rich person in love with GG and willing to do whatever it took to put it on a respectable network, and pay EVERYONE involved an amount of money that after seven years was not highly insulting.

Until that happens, its peaceful protest

...a wonderful American tradition Smiley

Mike

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:01:22 am by closemike » Logged
Wonny
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: May 18, 2007, 04:50:45 am »

-- Rob

-----------------------

Still, it's a question of money and desire.  With enough money and desire, there would be season 8. CW did NOT have the desire or the money... or the desire to pay Bledel and Graham the money (that they asked for)...

If CW had more money to offer, would they have? Probably not, as they appear to be attempting to appeal to the lowest common demonator of viewer, now. In there minds, with the money they were shelling out on GG, they can do ten reality/game shows...How did Robert Duvall put it in "Network" ....

CHANEY

(stands) All I know is that this violates every canon of respectable broadcasting.

HACKETT

We're not a respectable network. We're a whorehouse network, and we have to take whatever we can get.

*************************************************************************************************

Your approach is much more practical, and seems to be a variation of organized, peaceful protest, where overwhelming and filibustering the target is the goal.

But as long as it's just CW vs. GG fans, I wonder how effective a barrage of snailmail and phone calls will be. Certainly there is precedent for this method working; the longer and more persistent, the more chance of succeeding. Wear them down over time. Some protests succeed; the ones the media cover especially so.

If CW DOES give in and makes Graham and Bledel a better offer, one problem still remains: CW is STILL the network that axed them ifor "America's Next Top Alien-Geek" or some such nonsense; iow, they would STILL be a bottom scraping network--- albeit with one quality show....Okay maybe two or three if you count "Superboy" and "One Tree Hill" but I wouldn't know.

I wish there were enough of us that we could have the financial clout of one filthy rich person in love with GG and willing to do whatever it took to put it on a respectable network, and pay EVERYONE involved an amount of money that after seven years was not highly insulting.

Until that happens, its peaceful protest

...a wonderful American tradition Smiley

Mike

GET READY FOR THIS!!!!
I HAVE THE ARTICLE, AND THERE IS STANDING THAT LAUREN AND ALEXIS HOPED FOR THE AT LEAST 8TH SEASON. GILMORE GIRLS HAS BEEN CANCELED BECAUSE OF THE MISSING QUALITY NOT BECAUSE OF LESS
VIEWERS. LAUREN GRAHAM SAID: THE SERIES WAS, WHEN YOU SEE IT CREATIVE AT THE END.

KEEP VOTEING!!!!!! OUR GIRLS WANT TO COME BACK!!!!!!

www.savemyshow.com

-Wonny
iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: May 18, 2007, 05:04:58 am »

That is great news! But would they really come back if they thought the show had no more to offer. I don't think so because after all the interviews I have raed it seems to be that Lauren is really set on wanting the show to stay at the same in qualty and I think if she thought it was not going to be that way she wouldn't do it. I hate to say but I think it's true. Never mind that lets still keep are hopes up Grin
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: