The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:21:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1765099 times)
iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5100 on: May 17, 2007, 06:57:41 pm »

So is it really over or can we still save the Gilmores? Undecided I thought the fall lineup was going to  come out today did it?
theladyjedi
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: May 17, 2007, 07:13:00 pm »

It is 10PM. I just called Paul Mcguire's personal voice mail and was able to leave a message. I commented on my great disappointment with the upfronts and asked that they  begin negotiations to bring back Gilmore Girls. I also mentioned the ratings. Fill up the mailbox, people.
818-977-0040
What could be said, Rob, that would concerning his particular interests?    theladyjedi
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:50 pm »

Has there been any updates from anyone at CW or anyone else about uncancelling our Gilmore Girls. Im in Australia so that is why im asking. ill keep on voting and sending snail mail to save our wonderful show. at the moment on savemyshow is stands at 8278 with 93%.
gimoregirls1992ab
Town Troubadour

Oy with the poodles already!

View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: May 17, 2007, 07:38:28 pm »

I totally don't get why D.O. is trying so hard to reach the younger generation. I mean, yes, I am 14, as well as most of my friends who are fans (somewhat obvious), but what is so bad about appealing to more than one generation? Isn't that good? They are drawing more fans from different backgrounds and stuff, which means that the show appeals to all different people. I don't see why that is such a problem... What is so bad about mothers AND daughters watching Gilmore Girls, and together at that?

It's hard to wait around for something that you
know might never happen but its even
harder to give up especially when its
everything that you ever wanted....
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5104 on: May 17, 2007, 07:45:42 pm »

I also can't leave a comment tonight because I can't think of words more mature than, "What are you, total morons?" and "You suck!"

It almost seems like they might be too stupid to reason with...Huh

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
asense0fhope
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 0

WE WONT GIVE IN TIL WE SEE A WEDDING!

View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:41 pm »

okay i unfortunately leave in a few hours for my vacation! (an 8 hour drive ahead of me - i'm gonna need my rest!)

but in one day, i've missed so much!

are they referring to the new show "gossip girls" as a tv made from the book series? becuase yes, i did enjoy the book series (5 years ago.) but if htey think something like this could ever be as close as gilmore girls they are sorely mistaken.

ugh. this ruined my vacation.

OY WITH THE POODLES ALREADY!
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:36 pm »

ive just checked the votes on savemyshow and total yes votes are over 8362 still at 93%. im going to vote more today as im in australia and today is friday, and we have weekend, no computer access. but i will be writing a whole lot of snail mail and sending them off. check in again on monday.

How is it all going, are we getting anywhere with them??? How did the daisies go?? any word back from anyone??
Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: May 17, 2007, 08:24:01 pm »

jsut did my last vote for the day in save my show it now stands at 8432 still at 93% for all yes votes. Can not vote now until Monday. Keep up the goodwork guys. and i will continue my voting again my monday your sunday as i am a day a head of u. But sending heaps of snail mail out to all concerned.

Hope you hear something back before then? check back Monday. Cheers, and i do hope we acheive wnat we very much want. For Gilmore Girls return ASAP. Cool Coffee
Irminsul
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -1

View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: May 17, 2007, 09:14:57 pm »

Don´t get me wrong about this, I love the Gilmore Girls, but wouldn´t you want the crew, in particular Alexis and Lauren, to go on and do other things? Given what Lauren has said in interviews I wouldn´t think either of them would like to come back. You can cry all you want about the networks ¨not giving them their dues¨, I understand that particularly in regards to the Amy Sherman-Palladino incident before, but the crew has to want to come back and do this.

I read in an article posted from another member here that Lauren said if there was another season it would be like ¨Oops. Never mind.¨, much like dragging the whole story on. I don´t see how the writers could extend from Season 7 personally without it being drab and boring. Everything has happened in the previous seasons, pretty much everything that needs to be said and done to get the overall story out there. Can anyone else think of what they would do in Season 8 if there was one? Lorelai & Luke being back together? Watching Rory on the campaign trail? Watching the crew grow old on TV? Personally, I´d find that boring not to mention kind of sadistic. I´m glad it finished here but also like many of you I´m sad it´s gone (kind of a paradox). I´d like to see the actors in new things, watching them grow out to their full potential rather stay in something that is essentially ¨finished¨ (the story, that is).

I must sound like the worst kind of person for airing my thoughts like this (and this not a flame towards anyone) but I think people should stop complaining about that it´s finished or that the networks ¨are total jerks!¨, rather love that this show happened, let go and move on. Smiley
Stillstanding
Town Resident

Community Points: 16

View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:50 pm »

Who is this Paul Miguire guy or whatever?  I havn't heard his name before.. is he of any significance?  I wonder how hard it would be to obtain a phone number for Rosenthal.. or Dawn herself.. im sure theres a number.. people gotta reach them somehow right?  oh well.. Is anyone actually getting through to the person that they are calling or just leaving messages?

Stillstanding
Town Resident

Community Points: 16

View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: May 17, 2007, 09:27:58 pm »

Um, we're not ready to move on.. its not over until its over.. I believe we still have a chance.. and all of us here are still hopeful after all of this and that.. so... join in and help us, even if its just for the fun of it for you.. I think its better to do something even in bad times.. rather than not do anything at all.. we feel we made an impact and can keep making an impact.. who knows.. after all this, we could get an announcement.. "this just in.. b/c of the overwhelming amount of fan support, everything from letters to sending flowers.. the CW finally convinced GG to come back for an 8th season" and this could happen at any time down the line.. just like 7th heaven.. they have this show for the fans.. so if they want to keep us.. they need to make us happy!  Grin

closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: May 17, 2007, 09:44:18 pm »

Hello all,

I read through the last few pages of this long thread. I'm upset by the cancellation as well; but the phone calls, the online voting, the flowers...I have mixed feelings on how effective that kind of campaign will work.

Please humor me for a moment as I truly don't understand "big business"...and I don't know if you've already talked about this...but

there IS ONE SUREFIRE WAY TO GET A SEASON 8!

....(sorry for yelling, I wanted to get all yours attention)...

Money is the reason negotiations broke down, and money is the only thing that will bring the three main parties back to the table to negotiate anew.

Here is what I am proposing COULD be done: we offer to "pay the difference" between what CW offerred and what Lauren and Alexis asked for. Plain and simple...of course, executing this plan entails an AMAZING amount of
organizing, and a reputable business law firm would need to be hired to handle the negotiations, and advise on how to collect the pledged money, among other things.

I'm just spitballin' here:)

Let's get an idea how much money, and how many fans this endeavor would take. Let's say our stars both asked for 175 grand per episode, and CW could only go, say, 100 grand...that (difference) would be 75 grand times two
(Alexis and Lauren) times 12 (episodes)...or $1,800,000.00 ... that's one million 8 ....

Sounds like alot of money, huh? Well...the difference is probably not as great as in my example, but let's continue on...how many GG fans would it take, if ALL pledged fifty dollars? That would be 36,000 fans... At 100 dollars per pledge, that would be 18,000 fans...At this point I'm just trying to get an idea if this is feasable, numbers wise...certainly it would make more sense that each fan be asked how much he/she would be willing to
pledge...also, it isn't necessary to know exactly how much would make up said difference.

...let's say we opened talks with all the other GG forums with regards to this single idea: have each website president poll each member as to how much he/she would be willing to pledge towards a GG season 8, and then
totalize the figures, then aggregate the totals of each fansite, then give this number to the lawyer who acts and speaks the behalf of all the "pledgees", getting a seat at the table with the three main players.

It comes down to this: how badly do we want a season 8, and what WE, the fans, would be willing to do to get it. I'd guess, if 60% of all true GG fans pledged between $10 and $500, with an average of, say, $45, that the $1,800,000 could be raised.

What about the (I imagine) 75% of the fans that don't belong to ANY fan-site...how to reach them? Could advertising be bought DURING GG reruns,
perhaps?

This would be a big "Variety" news item, if we actually got past the initial stages:

"UNPRECEDENTED: GG FANS NEGOTIATE WITH CW TO HELP PAY STARS SALARIES"

Graham and Bledel would be so moved, they might even say, "thank you, keep
your money, we will give you a season 8!"

If nothing more, in doing this we would AT LEAST be taking back our power...

If nothing more Graham and Bledel would see how much GG fans appreciated them--enough to try something unprecedented!

On the other hand...

let's say we convince ourselves we COULD do this.

WOULD WE REALLY WANT TO??

...when there are, for instance, millions of starving people across the globe, so many other perhaps more important reasons to raise money....

I think we should still take a little time to sort our feelings out. Maybe this was a good place for GG to end, and we're all just a little too heartbroken right now to think clearly.

Thanks for letting me "run" my imagination!

Now, feel free to rip these ideas apart!

Mike

--just a 49 year old musician who's currently taking care of his 90 year old mother, and we enjoy watching GG together Smiley

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:00:14 pm by closemike » Logged
JillianLovesFood
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: May 17, 2007, 09:54:17 pm »

There are several problems with your money raising idea, I'm afraid to say. One of them is that we would be breaking a federal law and that would hurt us more. A network can't accept money from veiwers unless from promotional funds, product/advertisers, merchandise and charity funds. Ratings is basically where all those funds merge together because networks get paid more when they have more ratings which reflects veiwers. At least that's what I think. ShutUpRob might have more information on this to confirm it or not. Sending flowers is all ready risky because I'm not sure a network is allowed to accept gifts.

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
closemike
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: May 17, 2007, 10:07:18 pm »

There are several problems with your money raising idea, I'm afraid to say. One of them is that we would be breaking a federal law and that would hurt us more. A network can't accept money from veiwers unless from promotional funds, product/advertisers, merchandise and charity funds. Ratings is basically where all those funds merge together because networks get paid more when they have more ratings which reflects veiwers. At least that's what I think. ShutUpRob might have more information on this to confirm it or not. Sending flowers is all ready risky because I'm not sure a network is allowed to accept gifts.

There's probably many loopholes, one might be making the money a "personal gift"  which I think is still legal; of course if Bledel and Graham didn't decide to do the show, they would "refuse" the gift...

...certainly thinking "it CAN'T be done" would become a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who believed that.

Mike

heatherkilpatrick
Town Resident

Community Points: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:17 pm »

Don´t get me wrong about this, I love the Gilmore Girls, but wouldn´t you want the crew, in particular Alexis and Lauren, to go on and do other things? Given what Lauren has said in interviews I wouldn´t think either of them would like to come back. You can cry all you want about the networks ¨not giving them their dues¨, I understand that particularly in regards to the Amy Sherman-Palladino incident before, but the crew has to want to come back and do this.

I read in an article posted from another member here that Lauren said if there was another season it would be like ¨Oops. Never mind.¨, much like dragging the whole story on. I don´t see how the writers could extend from Season 7 personally without it being drab and boring. Everything has happened in the previous seasons, pretty much everything that needs to be said and done to get the overall story out there. Can anyone else think of what they would do in Season 8 if there was one? Lorelai & Luke being back together? Watching Rory on the campaign trail? Watching the crew grow old on TV? Personally, I´d find that boring not to mention kind of sadistic. I´m glad it finished here but also like many of you I´m sad it´s gone (kind of a paradox). I´d like to see the actors in new things, watching them grow out to their full potential rather stay in something that is essentially ¨finished¨ (the story, that is).

I must sound like the worst kind of person for airing my thoughts like this (and this not a flame towards anyone) but I think people should stop complaining about that it´s finished or that the networks ¨are total jerks!¨, rather love that this show happened, let go and move on. Smiley

Hi there,

While we all respect that you have the right to have your own opinion -- 'cause we do -- BUT this is a thread for those interested in finding ways to bring the show back.  If that's your philosophy, that's wonderful, and we're glad that you're happy with the way things ended -- you're entitled to that opinion, and it's cool. Smiley  BUT ... likewise, we have our own opinion and are operating under a different premise.   We're trying to keep the attitudes positive here because we are well aware that, based on past precedents (i.e. 7th Heaven) that what we are striving for is not an impossibility.  We know that there are odds against us -- but there are also odds for us.

So thank you for your input, but this is something we all believe in and want to keep fighting for.  It's cool if you don't, but please don't rain on our parade, so to speak. 

Have a good one!  :-D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:43:47 pm by heatherkilpatrick » Logged

We don't know how to say goodbye to you, we're not good at things that we don't want to do. (So we won't.)
"It's unfortunate that, I think, a lot of those fans are going to think there isn't closure," says Liza Weil. "Hopefully, there won't be toilet paper in the trees of all the writers."
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: