The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 12:52:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1766728 times)
skftex
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 287

View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:18 pm »

Actually, I think that it'd be a mistake to threaten to boycott.  As someone said above, this great8mandate should be about respect as well.  So when its over that everyone can feel they did it the right way.  Threatening boycott comes off a bit like a false threat, because they wouldn't know if you stopped watching their show, because the rating system doesn't work that way.  What I watch, what mostly everyone on this message board watch have nothing to do what the final ratings are going to be, unless someone on here is a Nielson family and I doubt it.  So to the network, they don't see a boycott threat as anything real in terms of ratings anyway.

Sharon

nicoleg
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: May 15, 2007, 10:35:04 pm »

we need to make "Save The Gilmore Girls" tshirts. like they have "save martha" and "save wynona" tshirts. this could be a totally stupid idea. just a thought. haha. my mom and i are heartbroken that the show ended to abruptly. we hoped for at least an 8th or 9th season. it's one of only a few decent sitcoms still on tv these days. we are going to do whatever possible to help let the CW network know what a terrible mistake they have made. like lorelai said.. " It's too soon..."
Tissie
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4937 on: May 15, 2007, 10:41:13 pm »

i never said anything about a theart. a boycot has nothing to do with a theat. its about being heard, and taken serious. we are not being listen to from my point of view. they oviously havent shown the fans, who kept this show on the air for 7 season (which alot of show never make it this far without the fans)the respect we deserve, with giving us a proper final show. i am sorry that you think a boycot is a threat but it not. its just like when people take a stand from shopping some place until they store does something, its not a theat they are just trying to get their point across when nothing else will work. i saw nothing wrong with the suggestion. im just sorry you had to make me sound like i was trying to rip down the network....which im not!!!!!!! i just was trying to come up with a diffrent way to be heard...

~*~Kris~*~
mac911
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:10 pm »

I think your suggestion was fine, but I agree saying we'd boycott wouldn't do too much in these times.  It's not like boycotting a local store or something.  Only a few people are Nielsen households, and they are the entire ratings. 

I think being nice about it is more effective, but that is JMHO.

I have not seen the final 2 episodes yet.  They are both on my HD DVR, so I will watch them on a very special night.  I'm so sad the show is over.  I thought this season was a step forward actually, and I've been enjoying it more than I have in a couple years. 

What a shame the shortened 8th season came so close.  I wish we could still make it happen.  Such a shame they cut negotiations so early on.

I'll keep doing what I can to push for season 8.
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37:44 pm »

Organized boycotts regarding television do not work -- they have the opposite effect.  Particularly because it makes the boycotters look looney.  Do a wiki search on Terry Rakolta and Married With Children -- boycotters have been stuck with Rakolta's legacy ever since and the boycott has ceased to be a useful tool ever since.

That doesn't mean that you can't tell them something like, oh, since Gg and VM are cancelled, I'm just going to be down to watching Supernatural on The CW and if that goes, well, it makes me wonder who you're trying to reach as viewers as I'm actually part of your target demographics.  Stuff like that. 

Well, a little less smug than that -- but the jist is the same, just let them know that you're in their target demographics and they're making less and less of the stuff that you like and more and more stuff that you don't like.  Gets the same point across better than a boycott -- they're alienating their target viewership.

Also, keep in mind with the Macguire phone number -- yes, he's the Vice-President of Marketing and Publicity, which IMO means he probably does have oversight over the comments line, but remember, his office phone number is that of an actual person rather than a more general rant line.  Perhaps write down what you want to say first -- keep it down to a paragraph or so -- and then read what you wrote into his voicemail.  Be respectful of his time, be polite, but do let him know how you feel about the show ending.  Don't say, "I hate you for cancelling the show!"  Say something along the lines of "I feel that while this was a great season finale, it's not a series finale.  And you've hurt a great episode by putting it under pressure it wasn't destined to have as a sum-up of the series."  (DO NOT QUOTE what i just said, just go with something along those lines in tone.  Speak from your heart, say it's good, worth the hour, worth it as a sum up of the season, but it naturally falls short of a series-ender.

ETA:  It's now about an hour after I posted this (2:36am CT) and I think I'm gonna wake up late this morning and won't update the Operation: Daisy Duke manifesto until then, but I just wanted to add in these reminders:

Keep calling The CW's main comment line until you get through to the voicemail at:  1-818-977-6878

Remember that anytime the voicemail is full over the next week, it's likely due to Gilmore fans.  And that's a good sign, so keep calling until you get through.

Keep writing Dawn Ostroff, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel by snail mail.  Their addresses are listed below, and you can send them daisies at these addresses, too.  You can go back to this page for further details:  http://www.gilmoregirls.org/forum/index.php?topic=6630.4845 until I update it in the morning.

Ms. Dawn Ostroff
President of Entertainment, The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

Lauren Graham
c/o John Carrabino Management
100 North Crescent Dr.
G-400
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Alexis Bledel
c/o Flutie Entertainment
6500 Wilshire Blvd
Suite 2240
Los Angeles, CA 90048

And go to this page for the latest installment of the Operation: Daisy Duke Manifesto at:

http://www.gilmoregirls.org/forum/index.php?topic=6630.4830

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because we STILL need to find out how Taylor got his job as Town Selectman back from Jackson.  When was the coup?  Why did the town *let* him steal the job back when they were just going to mutiny against him in this season's finale anyway?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:48:56 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
purpleflippers
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: May 16, 2007, 04:35:10 am »

I definitely spent an hour on the phone with my mom last night crying because I can't watch the finale with her tonight.  I'm waiting another month to watch the last two episodes; it's just not right to watch them without my Lorelai Gilmore.

I know what you mean, I watched the show, and my mom watchedit, but from different houses (we live over an hour apart, and both of us had work today).............I missed her, and ta;led on the phone during commercials
copperboom21
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: May 16, 2007, 04:52:34 am »

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that I just tried to call, it's about 7:45 am eastern time and Paul's mailbox is full! I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't leave a message, but hey, it's a great thing that his mailbox is full since its probably becauase of us. I woke up with a pit in my stomach thinking about the ending of the show, but then I thought of the mandate and I felt better...especially after realizing the mailbox was full, it definitely shows that we do have a chance of bringing it back. Thanks everyone!
purpleflippers
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: May 16, 2007, 05:16:57 am »

I have been sending out a message about the great8mandate and how the fans feel about this, to the media this morning [local news stations and Entertainments News programs (ET, Extra, Access Hollywood)]. Lets try to get the word out through the media!!!
ObessedwithGG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4943 on: May 16, 2007, 05:32:30 am »

I've been trying the comment line since I finished watching the episode late last night and the comment line has been full everytime.  And, hey!  I got the confirmation email yesterday that my flowers had been delievered!  Whoo-hoo!  Daisies to Dawn O.  Good job with Operation Daisy Duke people!  And keep up the great Mandating!

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: May 16, 2007, 06:39:18 am »

Hey Guys!
I have had terrible sleep all night, so in the middle of the night I have tried to call both Mr.Macguire's mailbox and the main CW comment box and  both are still full!!  Good job on stuffing the mailboxes guys.  Maybe we can keep those boxes stuffed for a while and they will finally get the idea, we thrive for a season eight.  Keep up the good work!!

--Kara =]]

LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: May 16, 2007, 07:02:25 am »

Anyone know how the finale did in the ratings last night?
mandate_supporter
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 12

View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: May 16, 2007, 07:25:22 am »

I'm sorry, but after seeing last night's episode I can't imagine it being anything other than a series finale.  The slow pans through all the townies, the many goodbyes between Lorelai and Rory, the closure with Emily and Richard, and even the ending for Lorelai and Luke.  Not to say that I wouldn't be thrilled with an 8th season (I would) but it would seem odd for them to bring the show back at this point, in my opinion.  I'm not saying anything about the Mandate itself by any means, I just wanted to show that not everyone was dissatisfied with last night's episode.

Vote for your favorite Gilmore Girls episodes!  http://gilmorevote.blogspot.com/
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: May 16, 2007, 07:30:13 am »

I'm sorry, but after seeing last night's episode I can't imagine it being anything other than a series finale.  The slow pans through all the townies, the many goodbyes between Lorelai and Rory, the closure with Emily and Richard, and even the ending for Lorelai and Luke.  Not to say that I wouldn't be thrilled with an 8th season (I would) but it would seem odd for them to bring the show back at this point, in my opinion.  I'm not saying anything about the Mandate itself by any means, I just wanted to show that not everyone was dissatisfied with last night's episode.
It's not that we weren't satisfied, it is that we knew that we deserved more.  And, even if it was a season finale, it would've worked.  And, anything that can work for both just doesn't seem proper, like it hasn't really closed.  The town would've still said goodbye to Rory, because she was going to Iowa for who knows how long.  So, I just think that we expected/deserved more from them, and they could've done better.  And, the network gave away just about the whole point of the finale in the previews, wish was extremely disappointing. 

Luv2CGG
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

I heart GG!

View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: May 16, 2007, 08:00:27 am »

Post your comments about GG ending over at People.com or try this direct link:

http://tvsweeps.people.com/2007/05/goodbye_gilmore.html#comment

skftex
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 287

View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: May 16, 2007, 08:12:36 am »

i never said anything about a theart. a boycot has nothing to do with a theat. its about being heard, and taken serious. we are not being listen to from my point of view. they oviously havent shown the fans, who kept this show on the air for 7 season (which alot of show never make it this far without the fans)the respect we deserve, with giving us a proper final show. i am sorry that you think a boycot is a threat but it not. its just like when people take a stand from shopping some place until they store does something, its not a theat they are just trying to get their point across when nothing else will work. i saw nothing wrong with the suggestion. im just sorry you had to make me sound like i was trying to rip down the network....which im not!!!!!!! i just was trying to come up with a diffrent way to be heard...

I think you missed my point.  Telling anyone at CW you are going to boycott isn't going to make a point at all to them, because you aren't a Nielson family and they know it won't make a difference in their ratings.  I didn't think you were trying to rip down the network, but you suggested something, and asked for opinions.  I gave mine.  What you choose to do is completely up to you, but I was trying to make you see why not watching the CW wouldn't make any difference.  What the people on this message board watch has NOTHING to do with the ratings, because I've yet to see someone on here come forward and say they are a Nielson family.  And they are the only ones that make a difference in the ratings.  However, contacting the network the way ShutUpRob suggests is a lot more effective because they do care about their sponsors, and if you are in the target age for those sponsors, then that is hitting them where it counts, because THAT is where the money comes from.

Sharon

Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: