The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:02:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1732636 times)
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: May 13, 2007, 07:29:28 pm »

Does anyone know the status of the actors' contracts? Everyone signed Season Eight contracts except for Alexis and Lauren. Does anyone know how the other actors contracts are legally written? Did they expire with the cancellation or would they still be valid if there is an uncancellation?
Would someone please post the "Daisy Duke" promotion as a topic at twop. It is very, very active. Thank you.
        theladyjedi

Feel free to repost my Daisy Duke promotion at TwoP (I'm not registered there), if you want to do it ASAP.  You'll probably have to cut and paste it as is from here, page 319 and reformat it yourself, otherwise, I can email my copy of it with HTML markings (that may not translate over to TwoP's way of formatting anyway) if you email me at [email protected] and then post it at TwoP tomorrow morning.

Or, if you just want to down and dirty it until then, you can just say that we're doing a campaign called Operation: Daisy Duke to send real daisies to Dawn Ostroff, with the current push being to order them on Monday in time to get them delivered to Ostroff on Tuesday or Tuesday for Ostroff to get them on Wednesday and to send them to her office address at:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

The operative things to write about are that it's a do-it-yourself campaign to send real yellow daisies to Ostroff via that address and because of the speed of delivery of flowers nationwide it's not just a spectacular way to represent Gg's fans to Ostroff, it's the *quickest* way to do so between now and Thursday.  (And even then, it doesn't have to stop.)

As for actor contracts, after salaries are negotiated and the boilerplate having to do with SAG rules and working conditions and conduct are followed, it comes down to the individual actor and his/her stature on the show.  For instance:

* Scott Patterson's contract with the studio and with Warner included a holding deal with Warner -- that means that the studio wants him bad enough that they contracted with him to try to find him another lead-level part in a TV series for the duration of his contract, which may be a set number of episodes, or, more typically a set number of years (1, 2 or 3 most typically, but Patterson usually signs only 1-year contracts).  We know from his exit interview with Ausiello that he's not happy that the season finale is a series finale, so while we shouldn't take him for granted, it's very likely that if the show were uncancelled, he'd stay with it to give it a proper ending.

* Lauren's contract with the studio and network when she signed back on through s7 included a production deal with Warner that was set to expire when her contract with the show expired.  (How do I know?  Because Variety and the Hollywood Reporter both reported it when Lauren signed back onto the show).  That resulted in her production shingle, Good Game.  It's entirely possible that during this round of renegotiations, she and Warner made a side-agreement to extend her production deal anyway because, as has been reported in certain interviews with her, she has several pilots in various stages of development as a producer.  But that's something we won't know for sure until/unless it's reported.

* Anyone else besides Lauren and Alexis and Scott, those who were reported to have already been signed on for season 8, were probably only signed to OPTIONS, which have an expiration date which is most typically either the end of the month in which the show is cancelled or the end of the TV season (technically, May 31st).  The network/studio can, however, release the actors from their contract options immediately if they want to.  But I would think that this close to the Upfronts, Warner probably hasn't released the Gg actors from their options yet just in case.

But even then, the network and studio can still change their minds.  Ostroff set the precedent by uncancelling 7th Heaven just hours before the Upfronts, a couple of months after the show was officially cancelled.  She contacted showrunner Brenda Hampton and they hashed out with Stephen Collins, Beverly Mitchell and Catherine Hicks unofficial agreements to take pay and budget cuts to make the show more affordable, then Ostroff announced the renewal of 7th Heaven (and cancellation of Everwood) at the Upfronts and *then* they took the time to put the contracts down on paper after the Upfronts.

* Even then, USA and NBC have set a new precedent with the renewal of L&O: Criminal Intent for another season, with new episodes of CI premiering on USA and *then* being repeated on NBC rather than the other way around, as it's been for several years.  I call it "reverse-bursting" (because repeating new episodes on basic cable a week after they've aired on a network is commonly known as "double-bursting.")  L&O: CI does have an advantage over Gg in this precedent, though, as both USA and NBC are owned by CI's producing studio, NBC Universal, so they have the sort of corporate synergy that Gg lacks between The CW and the channel that airs Gg's syndicated reruns, ABC Family.  Doesn't mean, however, that a reverse-burst situation couldn't happen -- as I said, the precedent's been set -- but ABC Family probably doesn't have the budget to do it.  (If I were Warner, I'd buy into ABC Family if not buy it outright and then just reverse-burst Gg anyway.  BID.)  ABC Family, has, however, tried to replicate the success of Gilmore Girls with the "original" but short-lived series "Beautiful People" and "Three Moons Over Stars Hollow Milford, so they might have the incentive to air another season of Gg as it would 1) make the reruns more valuable to them by providing a proper ending to the series, 2) make the show more valuable to them by bringing alll new episodes of a beloved, popular series to their network and 3) provide them with data on how to make a more Gilmore-ish type dramedy work than simply, infamously trying to replicate it as they did with Milford.

If I were the person at Warner who could arrange a reverse-burst, I'd seriously be considering trying to make such a reverse-burst arrangement.  It could provide Lauren and Alexis with an extended vacation and a less exhaustive working schedule if ABC Family, say, chose to air the show starting in January, when network shows are still in repeats.  Perhaps offer the network a discount on an extended rerun cycle or two of the first seven seasons as part of an incentive to reverse-burst.  It's a longshot, but thanks to USA & NBC, it's now no longer an unreasonable longshot.

First priority, however, is to get The CW to uncancel the series.  The next four days are the most critical in getting the show renewed *fast.*  After that, it's *still* not impossible.  And this goes back to the question of contracts.

The Farscape actors and studio set their own precedents regarding show revivals:  because even though the Farscape actors were released from their contracts at the end of the month that that show was cancelled, they all had so much personal passion for the show that they all took short-term jobs for as long as they could in order to keep windows open for the return of the show, whether as a new season or as a miniseries.  Eventually, Henson (the producing studio) decided to fund a four-hour concluding miniseries themselves and because the actors kept taking short-term jobs even though they were no longer under contract to Farscape, they were easily signed back onto the show for the miniseries, thus providing it with a proper conclusion.  Warner could do the same thing if they want to.  Agree to some sort of a compromise with Lauren and Alexis that addresses their exhaustion concerns such as shorter hours per day (and a consequent 2 to 2-1/2 work weeks to film each episode rather than 7-8 work days to film), no Saturday shoots, a longer vacation before they come back to shoot the new season, whatever their demands might be -- other than to shoot as few as 8 episodes, which is just dumb given the complexity of the series.  It's gotta be 13 episodes minimum with an option for a back nine *still.*  BID.

Anyway, it's just mindboggling how many more options and precedents have been set just by how Farscape was allowed to conclude and by how L&O: CI has just been renewed.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because contracts are such malleable things.
pebbles
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: May 13, 2007, 11:28:26 pm »

Hi,
I sent an email to the CW.  Has anybody at the CW responded to the Great 8 Mandate !
What about the daisy campaign?

Pebbles
smallactor5
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30:19 am »

I have a suggestion for those of us sending e-mail, since I get the feeling that lots of our letters are being trashed without even being opened: put something in the subject line about "Gilmore Girls," like "Please don't cancel 'Gilmore' " or "Please reconsider the 'Gilmores,' "  those are corny ideas, I know, but you get the point.  That way, even if they aren't read, they can at least see the insane amount of e-mails being received about the show and get a feel for the support without opening the e-mails.  I don't know if you guys have been doing that, but I started out with just "Gilmore Girls" and then realized that that could be taken as an e-mail telling them how good it was to cancel it if they didn't read it!
Don't give up yet!  After all, there are tons of us and only...well, tons of them, but we keep them in business, so that counts for more.  We can still do this!
And I realize that a lot of that post was spent rambling, I guess that's the Lorelai coming out in me.  I haven't had coffee yet.
iluvgilmoregirls!

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: May 14, 2007, 05:17:41 am »

Yeah thats I good idea I just started doing that like last week and I think your right even if they just look at the title they will know we want another season
GG3
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: May 14, 2007, 05:26:29 am »

Looks like we are back up to #4.  Someone has been voting for one the top 3 quite a bit in the last day.  Look how the numbers have changed.  Yesterday we were something like 350 ish away from 3 and from 2 now there thousands of votes!  Seriously how did we drop when we have voted over 7000 times since the last ranking listed here!?

Current vote total is 42229. Rank is #4. (2228 away from #3 and 2536 ahead of #5)

1. Veronica Mars
2. One Tree Hill
3. Stargate SG-1
4. Gilmore Girls
5. Xena: Warrior Princess
6. JAG
7. McLeod's Daughters
8. Grey's Anatomy
9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
10. Supernatural
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:28:49 am by GG3 » Logged
ObessedwithGG

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4790 on: May 14, 2007, 05:58:35 am »

I just order by boquet of daisies for delievery tomorrow!!  I surely hopes that Gilmore Girls gets uncancelled!  Good work everyone will sending and mailing. We can not let Gilmore Girls die like this.  We just can not.

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4791 on: May 14, 2007, 06:49:54 am »

A really specific subject is a good point, and make sure you're emailing to Dawn Ostroff specifiically. It turns out the [email protected] email is really just spam. However, like others have encouraged us from the getgo, SNAIL MAIL is MOST EFFECTIVE.

I think I can only do one bouquet of daisies- Heidi or Rob--- Do you really think it should be Dawn to send them to???

Please, folks- the show is tomorrow- (eeek!) pay homage by sending a letter today!!

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
write2amy

Community Points: 11

the wicked witch of the east

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4792 on: May 14, 2007, 08:18:18 am »

sending flowers today!!!

Im amy
Im on facebook & myspace
I will b tracy
Im in drama
im co-co
i may not hav a good voice but i hav a good charecter voice

(y r u in here(girls dressing room)) b/c im jordan and im gay.
Simply Cynical
Diner Regular

Community Points: -32

Can you please tell me why you're snarking me?

View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: May 14, 2007, 08:19:15 am »

Sending flowers and letters out the wazoo people!

Also, in sign for mourning the loss, black clothing people; wear it if you have it!

jaystar
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: May 14, 2007, 09:14:36 am »

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have sent a few emails to Ms. Ostruff but just want to verify that I have the correct address.  Would someone post it again because I'm confused that it still shows "upn" in it since it is the CW.

Thanks.
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: May 14, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

OMG i can't believe tomorrow is the last episode!  Cry i'm already afraid of the upfronts on thursday and i'm gonna be even more disappointed if the show doesn't get uncancelled... but i'm still hoping of course  Smiley

ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: May 14, 2007, 09:33:27 am »

A really specific subject is a good point, and make sure you're emailing to Dawn Ostroff specifiically. It turns out the [email protected] email is really just spam. However, like others have encouraged us from the getgo, SNAIL MAIL is MOST EFFECTIVE.

I think I can only do one bouquet of daisies- Heidi or Rob--- Do you really think it should be Dawn to send them to???

Yes, it should be Ostroff that we send the daisies to, IMO.  Whether or not she made the actual decision to cancel the show -- it may not have been up to her, could have been a bean counter, could have been someone above her in the conglomerate of CBS/Paramount whose execs (ie: Les Moonves) are more the Suits behind the network than Warners' peeps are.  Sending daisies to a particular person is a more focused campaign and IMO it's that Dawn Ostroff is the one who can bring everyone back to the bargaining table, since she's the one that did it with 7th Heaven.

Please, folks- the show is tomorrow- (eeek!) pay homage by sending a letter today!!

Yes, Snail Mail is far more effective than email -- but it'll take longer.  Hence, right now, so close to the upfronts, the daisies IMO are the most effective form of delivering something to Ostroff as soon as possible.  Buy them today through your local florist or FTD.com or 1800flowers.com, etc.  They can be ordered today for delivery tomorrow and some sites even offer same-day delivery (except on Mondays).  Ordering daisies today for delivery tomorrow gets the point across.  Ordering daisies tomorrow for delivery on Wednesday gets the point across, too.  While the websites are geared toward kinda expensive vase settings -- the cheapest daisy arrangements I've seen run about $40, less expensive arrangements can likely be arranged through your local florist (possibly reluctantly as Mother's Day was their Christmas and they may be kinda tired right now).

Keep sending letters, too.  And since Jaystar asked, I'm going to repost my letter-writing campaign welcome post.

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  The energy that everyone is feeling is almost tangible to me and I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL.

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snailmail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the person who has the most potential to help is IMO, the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  She can be contacted at the following address:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

As we get closer to the broadcast of the series season finale, email and voicemail can become handier than Snail Mail, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network can always change its mind even after the Upfronts.  So I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF.  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  And thank them for their time.

* BE POLITE. I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):  DON'T mention the salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

2)  If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harrassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.

3) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff (ie:  Lauren and Alexis), I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you.  Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff your first priority.  If she gets the mail, she is sure to contact everybody else involved, including her bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)

4) And send them daisies.  Dawn Ostroff's office address above is the address that any daisies should be delivered to.

BONUS ALERT:  Divine has set up a word document that can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/2659036-List_of_Advertisers.doc  If you contact any of them, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following:  

Pllease be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings even in the face of the Griffith Park fire earlier this week and in light of how VM's ratings continue to plummet.  Don't othewise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is so close to keeping VM around with such low ratings, doesn't it make more sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls, too, since it gets *much* better ratings?"

BTW, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered astroturf, a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're gonig to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

-- Rob

----------------------------
Season 8:  Because even though it takes a lot of hard work and patience, it can happen and has happened before.  More times than you think.

Gilmores-Forever
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 38

View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: May 14, 2007, 12:44:11 pm »

so once the episode is over tommorow we cant get a season 8? is that true? or over the summer if we keep sending stuff they might give in..?

sarah =)
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: May 14, 2007, 01:44:17 pm »

so once the episode is over tommorow we cant get a season 8? is that true? or over the summer if we keep sending stuff they might give in..?
no, it's not really true that after the episode tomorrow we can't get a season 8! as rob said before, it happened several times that shows got uncancelled long time after being finished, so there's still hope for us! so keep on fightig for GG!!!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:45:32 pm by Junkie » Logged

rory1027
Town Resident

Community Points: -9

View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:28 pm »

I really hope the show is uncanceled i cried when i heard the season premier was tomorrow and when Rory said no to Logan i can not bieleve the preview for tomorrows episode it looks like luke and lor are gonna kiss i hope it does not end lers keep trying

images06.alloy.com/.../1398/degr
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: