The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:39:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1733466 times)
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4770 on: May 13, 2007, 07:53:36 am »

OOooh, is it just me, or does it seem like this is kind of all picking up steam a little too late?! I mean, maybe its never too late, but...the SP interview was very enlightening; I really love that guy. I'm so happy that someone finally came out and said it's not great the show's over. sigh. I think we should be more ferocious about contacting advertisers; that really could work. I checked the list and then around my house, and it turns out that I use a ton of different P&G products, and I'm a late 20s Mom- I think I'm the kind of viewer they want to hear from, I just don't know what to tell them???

But hey, on a good note- for mother day this morning, my husband gave me a dozen yellow gerber daisies! Does he know me well or what?  Grin

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
Love_the_Lorelais
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

Luke + Lorelai = Love

View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: May 13, 2007, 10:07:56 am »

If this helps, I just purchased season 6 at Walmart for $24.96! They had season 5 too for the same price, but I already have it. This is just information if anyone wants to buy the DVDs at Walmart!

~Java Junkie and proud of it!~
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:04 am »

Welcome!  It’s time for another installment of . . .

Operation:  Daisy Duke.

episode 10:  "The Post-Modern Mother's Day Present"

In which we send real daisies to Dawn Ostroff, President of the CW (address later in this post) in order to urge her to work one last time with Lauren and Alexis to revoke the cancellation of Gilmore Girls.

TODAY’S GOALS for “Operation: Daisy Duke” are 1) to STRONLY encourage those viewers who want to send daisies to Dawn Ostroff on their own to order and send a bouquet of daisies to her on MONDAY OR TUESAY in honor of Mother's Day and Gilmore Day or Wednesday, in time for the Upfronts and  2) to stock up on the rest of your Gilmore Girls DVD at the Mother's Day prices that such stores as Wal-Mart and Target may be selling them at.

Without further adieu, I present to you “Operation: Daisy Duke.”

1)  Why "Operation:  Daisy Duke"?  Because it just wouldn't be a Save Gilmore Girls campaign without a funny pop culture reference coming from left field.  The show has made some very amusing equations between Lorelai and the hottest Dukes cousin, including having Lorelai drive a jeep (just like Daisy did), having Lorelai wear Daisy Dukes to her meeting with Headmaster Charleston on Rory's first day at Chilton, because Stars Hollow is the set where Hazzard County used to exist and because the exterior of Lorelai's house is the exterior of Uncle Jesse's house.  And because the many ironies inherent in the show's premise strongly suggest that we'll have better luck than Max did with his daisies.

2) It's time to double our resolve, not to give in!   Lauren's exit interview with Michael Ausiello at TV Guide does NOT mean that all is lost.  Scott Patterson said in no uncertain terms in his exist interview with Ausiello that he is not happy with the way that the show ended.  Moreover, Farscape got its four-hour miniseries LONG after the show was cancelleld.  Firefly's "Serenity" epilogue was greenlit LONG after that show was cancelled -- and that became a theatrical movie.  Not saying that Gg would go to the big screen, but the perseverance of these show's fandoms BEYOND their shows' so-called endings resulted in proper endings for those shows.

3)  There are many sources from your local florisst to the internet through which you can send daisies to Ms. Ostroff.  Two of the biggest online alternatives include FTD.com and, 1-800flowers.com, both of whom operate national delivery services through local florists anyway.  Many of the online florists only promote $40 vase arrangements of daisies, which may be beyond a Gg fan's budget.  A dozen daisies would likely come in a typical cellophane wrap if they're bought by the stem.  Order the daisies in the way that is best for you. 

4) Send yellow daisies ONLY because that's the color of Lorelai.  If whoever you order from is out of yellow daisies (unlikely, but still . . .) then, sure, go with white daisies, but Yellow is the color.

5) Send your daisies to Dawn Ostroff at the following address: 

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

6) DEADLINE: EVERYDAY is the official deadline. Any day that Daisies or letters or voicemails or email arrive between now and the Upfronts on the 17th (and even beyond) WILL still help!

7)  You can, of course, send small message cards with your bouquet.  The rule is this:  BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  Do NOT write anything like "I hate you because you cancelled Gilmore Girls!" or "I'm sad that you cancelled Gimore Girls" or "I won't watch The CW ever again unless you uncancel Gilmore Girls."  I totally understand, respect and even share those feelings, but, after all, it's not something that Lorelai or Rory would do in this situation.  Instead, write something like "Please renew Gilmore Girls!" or "Please uncancel Gilmore Girls" and sign it with at least your name and address so that they know how far Gg's fanbase has spread throughout the country and the world.

Cool  There is no 8 yet.  That’s the whole point.

9) Please post to this thread when you've sent a bouquet.  Even one hundred bouquets of just a dozen daisies sent to Ms. Ostroff will surpass the 1000 mark of daisies from LD&T and I am sure that we'll send a lot more than that.

10)  Please spread the word of "Operation:  Daisy Duke" around to other MBs and forums that have enthusiastic Gilmore supporters.  Some of the obvious boards are FanForum, the cwtv.com lounge, TwoP, E!, etc.  If you recruit at any other forum, please post here with which one you posted at so that we get an idea of how it's spreading and so that we don't duplicate the news too often (no more than once per day).  We don't want to annoy people, especially since there are people who post to multiple MBs.  But still, let us know which MBs it gets posted to and provide a link to this here Great 8 Mandate thread or even copy this entire post to that forum.

Okay?  Okay!

Let's spread the word!  "Operation:  Daisy Duke" continues!

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because it would be a great Mother's Day present.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:00:33 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
Chrissi
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: May 13, 2007, 11:09:10 am »

@cathy:wow,you got an answer and autographs!!!that's sooo cool!!!
i thought they'd never answer Wink

...angel without wings
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: May 13, 2007, 11:32:15 am »

OOooh, is it just me, or does it seem like this is kind of all picking up steam a little too late?! I mean, maybe its never too late, but...

Sure, it feels kinda late -- but that's because it is.  Remember, until the CW cancelled the show with very little warning on May 2nd, we didn't really have any reason to pursue the campaign so aggresively.  The CW cancelling the show so abruptly on the 2nd, so soon before the Upfronts has left very little time to organize -- that's not our fault, it's the CW's fault for leaving us in the lurch with leaving little warning.

the SP interview was very enlightening; I really love that guy. I'm so happy that someone finally came out and said it's not great the show's over. sigh. I think we should be more ferocious about contacting advertisers; that really could work. I checked the list and then around my house, and it turns out that I use a ton of different P&G products, and I'm a late 20s Mom- I think I'm the kind of viewer they want to hear from, I just don't know what to tell them???

Speak from the heart, be polite, be brief.  Don't ramble, don't threaten a boycott, don't let your feelings of being upset override saying what you like about the show, why you want it to be renewed, why you think it should be renewed, why the ratings justify renewing it (especially if they're going to renew Veronica Mars in any form) and why you think that the late cancellation was patently unfair to us -- they know that we're upset, so staying on-topic about the reasons why it should be renewed will help.  Pick two or three of the reasons above that I've mentioned or come up with some of your own.

And spread the word about every way that fans can help -- send daisies 'cause the nationwide same-day and next-day delivery services make it fast, fast, faster than snail mail at this point, call your local affiliate any time, especially on Tuesday night right after the show has aired.  Call the network, call the advertisers, call Lauren and Alexis's agents.  Keep on doing snail mail as even if/when the Upfronts are announced that doesn't automatically preclude bringing the show back at midseason (in fact, I think the extended vacation of waiting to do a final season as a midseason replacement would give the gals the vacation that they need to come back recharged.)

Stuff like that.  But most importantly, spread the word, both online and offline.  Don't necessarily spread the lists of things to do -- actually *organize* the people in other forums to do those tasks -- get five or six volunteers to call the advertisers, get six or ten people to send daisies, etc.  This phase of the Campaign is one in which we've got to strike fast, strike hard and strike with sheer numbers.

There's a lot of anger out there among younger fans regarding the cancellation of the show -- many of them want to blame whoever they can think of first and it's often been the actors (which, of course, I think is patently unfair in this case).  We need to channel their anger where it needs to be directed, where it is *meant* to be most effective -- toward the network.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because Gg is the network's #2-rated scripted show and therefore, it's got so large a fanbase relative to the network's endemic structural problems that the network can't afford to lose it no matter how much they may be focused on the short-term savings of cancelling it.
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: May 13, 2007, 12:06:56 pm »

Does Anyone have a snail mail address for David Rosenthal?

Razzlefrat!
Town Resident

Community Points: 10

coffee, coffee, coffee

View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: May 13, 2007, 01:23:47 pm »

A picture of Lauren and Alexis with their autographs on it.

OMG you're so lucky! Grin

Literati <3

/\ by Razzlefrat!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: May 13, 2007, 02:27:23 pm »

It would be the same address as sending a letter to any cast member in care of the studio:

Cast (or Crew) Member's Name
Gilmore Girls
Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd.
Building 2222
Burbank, CA 91522

-- Rob

Season 8:  Because Uncancellation would be the most excellent early birthday present for me!  (I'm a Gemini cusping out of Taurus.)
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: May 13, 2007, 02:35:06 pm »

It would be the same address as sending a letter to any cast member in care of the studio:

Cast (or Crew) Member's Name
Gilmore Girls
Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd.
Building 2222
Burbank, CA 91522

-- Rob

Season 8:  Because Uncancellation would be the most excellent early birthday present for me!  (I'm a Gemini cusping out of Taurus.)
Yeah, ok that is what I figured.
Thanks!
[Happy Early Birthday, too!!]

smallactor5
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: May 13, 2007, 02:46:36 pm »

I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten any e-mail back from either Dawn Ostroff or the CW.  I've been sending almost daily e-mails, and plan to continue to kindly do so, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone knows if they're going through?
Still trying to come up with new ideas, new information.  I don't know how I'll survive without my Gilmores!
go_clo

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: May 13, 2007, 03:49:48 pm »

I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten any e-mail back from either Dawn Ostroff or the CW.  I've been sending almost daily e-mails, and plan to continue to kindly do so, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone knows if they're going through?
Still trying to come up with new ideas, new information.  I don't know how I'll survive without my Gilmores!

I have never gottan a reply. I think they are getting threw though but they just don't reply. Imagine the hundreds of emails they get a day, they probably just don't have the time to check them all and reply, ours may not even be getting read. Theres a good chance that only some of our emails get read and the others deleted which is why snail mail is much better.

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: May 13, 2007, 04:21:09 pm »

Just thought I'd throw this news article into the ring as I think it provides us some extra ammunition.  Yahoo news links tend to expire within a few days, so that's why I'm providing both the link and the entire article.  I will add my comments after the article itself, below a set of dashes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070512/ap_en_ot/hollywood_labor;_ylt=AkdaBMI78ror09CqClwgijFX24cA

By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Hollywood studios are speeding production on movies and TV shows, preparing for a possible strike by writers and more trouble next year when contracts with actors and directors expire.

TV networks, which are in the midst of planning fall schedules, also might pack their lineups with more reality shows and other unscripted fare as protection against a possible strike.

"It's simply sound business," said J. Nicholas Counter, president of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which negotiates on behalf of the studios.

"Based upon the public statements of the Writers Guild, it's quite clear these are going to be very contentious negotiations," he said.
"Their statements are bellicose, so we've got to prepare for the worst."

Among the shows accelerating production is NBC's "Las Vegas," which started three months earlier than usual with the aim of finishing 18 to 24 episodes before the fall. Normally, the show would have only about seven or eight episodes filmed.

"In essence, it makes us strike proof," said Gary Scott Thompson, the show's writer and executive producer and a veteran of the last writer's strike in 1988.

Another NBC show, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" began shooting two months early.

The three-year pact between studios and the Writers Guild of America expires Oct. 31 and talks are scheduled to begin in July.

That gives both sides little time to resolve complex issues involving how much TV and film writers should be paid when their work is
distributed on new media platforms, including the Internet, cell phones, digital media players and other devices. The writers argue the
payments - modeled after the structures used for DVD rights - are too low.

Older battles also remain to be resolved, including the revision of a decades-old formula for compensating writers for work that ppears on DVD.

"There's no question in my mind this is not simply about emerging technology, but the perception that the guilds pretty much got screwed in previous negotiations in what were then emerging technologies," TV writer and producer Steven Bochco said.

"All the guilds feel strongly that they don't want to be caught in a position that doesn't anticipate rapidly shifting technological advancements that leave them high and dry."

Bochco, the Emmy Award-winning creator of such shows as "NYPD Blue" and "Hill Street Blues" is creating a legal drama pilot for TNT. He said the issue of stockpiling always arises as a negotiating tactic.

Both the WGA and Screen Actors Guild elected new leaders after the current contracts were signed who have promised to get tougher with studios.

The WGA, in particular, has led an effort to organize the editors and producers the guild say actually "write" reality TV shows. Several
lawsuits have been filed against networks and the union supported a brief strike by about a dozen staff of the show "America's Next Top Model."

Actors and writers have also taken a tough stand against the increasing use of product placement in shows, a growing practice as more people zap ads recorded on a TiVo or similar device. The guilds have said their members deserve a piece of the revenue generated by the mention or appearance of products.

The WGA also angered the studios by rejecting a request to start contract talks in January, opting instead to begin meeting in July. That presents a special problem for theatrical film productions, which have a particularly long lead time and could be halted halfway by a strike.

Studios are considering rushing some productions so they finish filming by Oct. 31, or delaying the start of production until next year.

The result is a "de facto" strike, where production is compressed before the contract expiration, leading to a long period of inactivity even after a new pact is reached.

Despite the rhetoric, there are powerful incentives for both sides to avoid a strike. Network programming is losing viewers and advertisers are spending less on TV and more on the Internet.

Networks have also had success with reality shows such as "Deal or No Deal" and "Dancing With the Stars," leaving less room on the schedule for scripted shows.

"There is already lot of that kind of programming to fill space with in a worst case scenario," said Carolyn Finger, vice president of TVtracker.com, an Internet-based consulting firm.

The last time writers struck was in 1988, a bitter five-month walkout.

In 2001, studios also stockpiled scripts and accelerated production in anticipation of a strike. While a walkout was averted, thousands of technicians, carpenters and people who service the entertainment industry were out of work because of the de facto strike.

Bochco said a strike this year could be extremely difficult because TV and film operations represent a small part of the income earned by the huge conglomerates that own studios and networks.

"When you strike, you're not striking Universal or Paramount, or NBC," Bochco said. "You're striking News Corp. You're striking Viacom Inc., You're striking General Electric Co. Those are much deeper pockets and those are companies that can afford to hold out for a far longer period of time."

-----------------------------

My observations:

[1] As a producer, Bochco is clearly trying to intimidate writers into not striking.  IMO, that's not going to work.  The deeper pockets of the parent conglomerates gives the union every reason to hold out longer and strangle TV production longer because the WGA knows that the conglomerates won't give in soon.  It's a total incentive for the WGA to stick to their guns.

[2] Since they've tried to unionize the reality shows and were union-busted by the conglomerates, it's very likely that reality show writers/editors will support the WGA by not crossing the picket lines.  Hence, the networks' threat to use reality shows to shore up the blank spots is a weak one.

That leaves:

[3] Encouraging the networks to stock up on existing shows.  That IMO means encouraging them to uncancel shows shows that have just been cancelled, not just Gg, but also Crossing Jordan and the like for limited-run seasons.  (Studio 60, however, is an entirely lost cause.)

If the networks were to uncancel shows like these and start filming 13-episode runs, what's the worst that could happen?  Shows that got the reprieves get aired and finish more properly?  The networks have a test run of stockpiled scripted shows from which they could start gauging year-'round programming like they've always been threatening, but have been screwing up on because they only air obvious burn-off shows during the summer?  There's no downside to commissioning 13 more episodes of Gg for a midseason replacement run.  They could have all the scripts quickly, since it's only 13 episodes, they could start filming soon thereafter, and they could do it on a schedule that would giving Lauren and Alexis some time off *during* the shoot (see #5 below).  And best of all, Gg gets a proper ending.

[4] BTW, this gives us a LOT of incentive to not give up even *if* the show isn't uncancelled by the time of the Upfronts on Thursday.  It gives us all the more reason to push the network, Lauren and Alexis back to the bargaining table.  I would even say that we should prepare to start petitioning all three in even more earnest after the Upfronts.

[5] The potential of the situation offers a lot of opportunities to help Alexis and Lauren stave off whatever exhaustion they're feeling.  They could possibly get the relaxed schedules that they want.  For instance, if Alexis only wants to return for 8 episodes, then let her return for 8 episodes, if Lauren only wants to return for 8 episodes, the minimize her presence to opening and closing acts for, like, three of the Rory episodes and two of the other episodes (because Lauren can't not be in an episode), things like that.

CONCLUSION:   For any of you who are writing to Ostroff, Lauren and/or Alexis this week, please consider writing about the upcoming strikes and how it would be a win-win-win situation for everyone if the CW worked out a deal to have the show return for the 13 more episodes.  It's quite possible that the complication of the writers' strike did affect the CW's patience with trying to work out a deal with Lauren and Alexis -- ie: because the network possibly wanted them to come back to the show earlier than they coudl handle -- and IMO, if so, that was not an acceptable reason to cancel the show.

@ smallactor5:  I don't know if anyone's gotten a response from Ostroff or The CW itself.  It's quite possible that no one will.  But OTOH, that might be because they've been getting deluged with mail and daisies and whatnot and its just taking them time to sort through the mail during the very week that they're trying to finalize their fall schedule.  So send them mail, snailmail, email, voicemail, daisies anyway.  It'll all help, especially with the pressure of this writers' strike looming.  IMO, they'll probably send thank you notes to at least *some* of the better-written snail mail and email letters eventually.

-- Rob

Season 8:  Because, well, the networks shouldn't be counting on reality shows to save them.  Not when they've got itchy trigger fingers regarding scripted shows.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 04:25:16 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
JillianLovesFood

Community Points: 97

Life is funny, the thing to remember is to laugh

View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: May 13, 2007, 05:08:45 pm »

I think I'll be able to send daisies tomorrow. I just want to know what address you used Heidi to send the one to Lauren Graham. I might be able to send one to her, one to Dawn and one to Alexis.... hm, maybe one to Scott next week just in case. I might have more income tax money coming my way so I can afford them this time... hopefully.

7.1-Luke to Lorelai- "It's like my life isn't even real to me unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you..."
theladyjedi
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: May 13, 2007, 05:19:01 pm »

For those wanting to contact Representatives of actors, call the Screen Actors' Guild 323-954-1600
I think their website is sag.org
Does anyone know the status of the actors' contracts? Everyone signed Season Eight contracts except for Alexis and Lauren. Does anyone know how the other actors contracts are legally written? Did they expire with the cancellation or would they still be valid if there is an uncancellation?
Would someone please post the "Daisy Duke" promotion as a topic at twop. It is very, very active. Thank you.
        theladyjedi
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4784 on: May 13, 2007, 06:01:01 pm »

That's a good idea- maybe Rob's Daisy Duke Promo can be a "sticky topic" or whatever its called, or moved to the first page of this thread...? (I think people like how its chock full of details and forceful yet encouraging demands  Tongue) My hubby got a bonus, so I can also send daisies of my own this week! (And no, I'm not just re-gifting my Mother's Day flowers...although...) Should I try to arrange it so they arrive on Tuesday?

I emailed some advertisers...I'll update if I get a reply... but this is my newest worry.... How long can a bunch of people wait around for their job? i.e.- the cast and crew... I mean, let's say all our persistence pays off, but not til the fall or winter-- at that point, won't the dozens and dozens of actors, writers, crew members etc., all be scattered around Hollywood (on different shows, under different contracts, waiting tables, working at McDonalds, back home in Nebraska, whatever)? That seems impossible for everyone to just "snap to it" because the CW finally had the realization that they are complete morons and ruined television and peoples lives......Rob explained how MM could finagle it with that sitcom, but....

Any why isn't Alexis Bledel doing an exit interview? Is she as aloof she she keeps coming across or just shy?

And, this might be my 100th post! yes, it is!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:06:55 pm by neverapuff » Logged

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: