The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:11:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1734186 times)
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4725 on: May 12, 2007, 05:27:53 am »

I'm sorry I'm stupid at 8am, but would it be effective if I wrote to any Procter & Gamble Company at this point, or only Cascade/Swiffer? Or just the P&G ones that advertised during GG, or just those ones that I really use?
Should we specifically target one company? Or try out a bunch of see what kind of different responses we may get?

And congrats on writing anc actually getting a response- that is VERY encouraging!
wh0a-is that my hangover rambling? i need pancakes...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:39:27 am by neverapuff » Logged

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
runningsb05
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 4

Life's short. Talk fast. :]

View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: May 12, 2007, 07:00:33 am »

Teavee.com UPDATE:

Gilmore Girls
Current vote total is 33243. Rank is #5. (1571 away from #4 and 2705 ahead of #6)

KEEP VOTING!

True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends. Saying goodbye is saying I love you.   - Headliners for life.

Rory: Asher Flemming is dead.
Marty: In bed?
Rory: No
Marty: Damn, I lost the pool
gg4evr
Town Resident

I Heart Rory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4727 on: May 12, 2007, 07:10:00 am »

Indeed, we're getting to the #4 spot soon at teave.com!! Thanks for continuing supporting our girls!!  20 days of voting left this month!! Let's shower our favorite girls with lots of votes and love!!  Voting is at 10 minute intervals, so please try to vote whenever you're online!!  Hope to see you there!! GO GILMORE GIRLS!!  Smiley

Top 10 TV shows as of 5/12/07:
1. Veronica Mars
2. One Tree Hill
3. Stargate SG-1
4. Xena: Warrior Princess
5. Gilmore Girls
6. JAG
7. McLeod's Daughters
8. Grey's Anatomy
9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
10. Supernatural

Vote for Gilmore Girls as your favorite show and let TV executives know what fans really care about!!   http://www.teavee.com/gilmoregirls/

runningsb05
Gilmore Maid

Life's short. Talk fast. :]

View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: May 12, 2007, 07:58:35 am »

Teavee.com update (because we have closed the gap even more since the last update!)

Current vote total is 33495. Rank is #5. (1412 away from #4 and 2697 ahead of #6)

Com support GG and vote. We closing in on 1,000 away from #4!

True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends. Saying goodbye is saying I love you.   - Headliners for life.

Rory: Asher Flemming is dead.
Marty: In bed?
Rory: No
Marty: Damn, I lost the pool
Lorelai999
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -2

View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: May 12, 2007, 08:49:31 am »

i want to everything i can to help the show because i am not going to let this happen
smallactor5
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: May 12, 2007, 09:34:03 am »

Come on, guys!  I know it's getting rough, but we've got to keep our head up!  I'm still sending out regular e-mails.  Just found this from Scott Patterson on the TV Guide website:

TVG: Were you satisfied with the way the Luke and Lorelai story was wrapped up?
Patterson: No, I wasn't, because there was still a lot of life left in it. But also, less is more, because it leaves in the audience's imagination where it could go, and that's really good writing. Why give them the full meal? And I know fans are a little upset because they feel unsatisfied. They feel like they hung in there for so long and didn't get the full monty, so to speak. But I think the show will live in their imaginations longer as a result of this type of an ending.

You can read the full interview here: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Q38a-Gilmore/800014859

Come on, guys; after seven faithful years we deserve more!
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: May 12, 2007, 09:40:28 am »

I'm sorry I'm stupid at 8am, but would it be effective if I wrote to any Procter & Gamble Company at this point, or only Cascade/Swiffer? Or just the P&G ones that advertised during GG, or just those ones that I really use?
Should we specifically target one company? Or try out a bunch of see what kind of different responses we may get?

And congrats on writing anc actually getting a response- that is VERY encouraging!

P&G is a huge company, so I would say without looking for the number for Cascade & Swiffer that the customer service # for all P&G products is likely the same. My suggestion would be to see how many of your household cleaning products (kitchen & bathroom, down to cleansers and paper products) are P&G and mention those, too.

Don't just target one company -- try as many of them as you can.

Be Polite, be specific about 1) how you love the show 2) how you've already contacted the CW and 3) how bad the CW's new programmikng judgement has been for the past five years, including its time as both The WB and UPN. You can even let them know how angry you are at the CW for cancelling Gg, but DON'T make it look like you're blaming the sponsor because it's not their fault.

Also, look up the number for your local CW station (those who watch through KTLA already know it due the the fires Wink ) and be prepared to call them right after the series season finale. Be sure to tape Veronica Mars because you're likely to get a busy signal and have to redial for a while. But that's okay -- your willingness to skip VM in order to dial your local CW affiliate will help them put the pressure on the network. THEN call the network once you've called the affiliate. (It's prpobably about time to start posting CW phone numbers again.) And it's okay to call your CW affiliates and the network after VM (if you can't hold out and just have to watch it live) and to call on Wednesday.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8: Because the preview monkeys blew the ending of the season finale, so we now need a series finale that they can't blow (Uh, dirty?) at least a year from now.
Junkie
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

We NEED season 8! Keep on fighting! ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: May 12, 2007, 09:42:08 am »

I'm glad Scott wasn't satisfied with the ending neither! He's the first actor who said he didn't like it, right? That makes me like him even more Grin

Anyway, I don't want the show to live in my imagination, I want THE FULL MEAL!!! Cry

BTW, thanks for posting the interview Smiley

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: May 12, 2007, 09:50:14 am »

Hope the pancakes helped Wink

Divine and Rob you are very right. The more I ignored the first paragraph of her e-mail the more I appreciated the second one. Nod

Thought Id give a little more info, the link I used for them was the one on the list: homemadesimple.custhelp.com. Or you can e-mail directly at [email protected]. I couldnt find a phone number. They have a dropdown of different products you can chose to contact them about on this particular site. I chose Swiffer because that thing saved my sanity more than once (black dog hair all over white tile will drive you crazy and I was sure to say so in the e-mail) but this particular one also had Febreeze, Dawn and Mr. Clean. The list of P&G products is endless, Duracell, Oral B, Charmin, etc. You can get to their full website contact page here: http://www.pg.com/getintouch/index.jhtml. I hope that helps anyone else looking to contact them

I received an auto-response from Jeep and nothing else from any of the other companies I contacted but I will be attempting to call a few today as well.

Keep up the good fight!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: May 12, 2007, 10:11:47 am »

My reactions to Patterson's interview with Ausiello (not nearly as long as my reaction to his interview with Lauren because, well, I'd be touching on some of the same things, so I'll limit this one to two questions:

Ausiello
Patterson
Me, Rob

Were you satisfied with the way the Luke and Lorelai story was wrapped up?
Patterson: No, I wasn't, because there was still a lot of life left in it. But also, less is more, because it leaves in the audience's imagination where it could go, and that's really good writing. Why give them the full meal? And I know fans are a little upset because they feel unsatisfied. They feel like they hung in there for so long and didn't get the full monty, so to speak. But I think the show will live in their imaginations longer as a result of this type of an ending.

I agree with Junkie, Patteson clearly is not satisfied with the way the show ended -- he might be satisfied with it being a season finale, but series finale -- not so much. But to answer one of his rhetorical questions: "Why give them the full meal?" I have two words for him: The X-Files. And one more word, Angel. Open endings, ESPECIALLY when they're structurally unbalanced, as this one will be given that the Lor/Chris storyline was 14 episodes long while the Lor-Luke reconciliation is barely five episodes long, is patently unfair and doesn't even qualify as an epilogue. It makes the Lor-Chris divorce the climax of the entire series and to go to Scott's next answer . . .

A lot of fans Luke and Lorelai fans feel cheated because she spent so much of the season with Christopher.
Patterson: But what could they do? They were really faced with doing it the way they did it or pull a Deus ex machina, and that would have been really bad. I think that would've turned the fans off even more. Look, the fans were the show. We really felt the presence of the fans. What a terrific and loyal group of people they are. I think they have 152 episodes of Gilmore Girls to go over again and again and relive. It's a lot of work that's in there and I think at the end of the day, they're going to take away from this that they've had a good run as well.

. . . it makes Lor and Luke starting to get back together a blatant Deus Ex Machina, a too-quick, perfunctory, forced ending, the very thing that Scott says that the show *shouldn't* have. That's a not just a bitter taste to end the show on, it's a sour taste to end the show on. IMO, it's clear that Patterson is, like Graham, trying to spin the premature end of the show, but clearly, he was just as taken by surprise as everyone else. Maybe a little less concerned because his signing for s8 was one of those convertible holding deals. But again, the more anyone and everyone involved in the show try to spin it, the show ended prematurely and even the two of the three leads who have spoken can't hide their displeasure beneath the customary spin. Can't blame him for *trying* to spin, though.

Also, I have to go back to a point that Lauren said at the end of her Ausiello interview that I missed initially, but stuck out like a sore thumb when I reposted my comments to alt.tv.gilmore-girls:

So, when's the Gilmore Girls reunion?
Graham: (Laughs) We're totally doing the Gilmore Girls movie. I'm never, ever going to do anything else. There's Gilmore Girls: The
Musical. The line of clothing called Lorelai. And the perfume called Stars Hollow... You know, I'm promoting Evan Almighty, which comes out in June. And I have been reading a lot. And sleeping. (Laughs) But I'm auditioning for things, and I'm going to try and do another movie soon.

Regarding Lauren's comment about starting to audition for things. That's one of the huge clues, IMO, to decoding and reading between the lines about how upset Lauren probably is that the show ended before she was ready to end it. *NO* actor looks forward to auditioning again. Yes, it's part of the job and you have to find your own ways to accept that that part of your job is to get 1 job per 40 auditions that you go on. Fewer auditions when you are or have been a star, yes, but even then, it's more like 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 20 auditions. She's soooooooooooooo not looking forward to the auditions and the fact that she's even mentioning them, that that's what she's doing is thus IMO a Freudian slip about how much she does NOT want to be auditioning.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8: Because The CW is just kidding itself if it thinks that the series season finale is structurally a final episode. We know it, the actors know it, the writers know it, everybody knows it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:15:15 am by ShutUpRob » Logged
Bill
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: May 12, 2007, 10:27:16 am »

OK.. My snail mail letter went off to Lauren Graham today..

I know it'll take a miracle if she ever sees it.. or even the person in charge of the person who reads the mail..  Sad

I did point to the fact that the young teen woman isn't the only demographic that has watched these characters grow.. felt happy for them.. sad for them.

Even us men on the backside of 40, only a few years from receiving AARP crud in the mail that we can send to the trash heap.. enjoy our Tuesday nights with the Gilmore Girls.
soxgrrl33
« Reply #4736 on: May 12, 2007, 10:43:58 am »

I sent a letter too, but does anyone think i should add in that gg pretty much has the most difficult timeslot in the entire week because of american idol? I bet the ratings would be WAY higher if it were in a different timeslot, though it would be hard to get used to a new time.
Lauren is my idol
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 277

.:.Lauren is such an inspiration to me!.:.

View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: May 12, 2007, 10:50:59 am »

I think that Scott pretty much wanted anbother season as well, like he said how there "is still a lot left in it". And Rob, you are right...it is verrrrrry hard to get an actual job from an audition...you have to audition for so many things just to get one spot, if you're lucky. So that may be a part that Lauren isn't looking forward to.

Java Junkie Pleased
"I just like to see you happy"
My names Gena. Like Jenna =]
ILY mel, olivia, amber, dybbi, maggie, myra, britney, grace, rory, spence
Chrissi
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: May 12, 2007, 10:54:53 am »

hi guys.
unfortunately i had no time to go online.
i just saw the pictures of the daisies - lovely!!! thanks heidi,for all of your time & work.
you (we) need to get an answer from lauren,alexis and dawn...that was so much work.
hopefully the flowers really got to them!

i read that they dismantle the gg-set Sad that's soo sad because i'm going to visit LA next year
and i sooo wanted to visit the set of my fav. tv-show.
i think i was to slow or they were to fast Sad

love,chrissi

ps: did we get any response to the campaign recently? i could not read all the pages
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:56:02 am by Chrissi » Logged

...angel without wings
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: May 12, 2007, 11:21:36 am »

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  The energy that everyone is feeling is almost tangible to me and I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Heres what you can do:

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL.

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snailmail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the person who has the most potential to help is IMO, the CWs President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  She can be contacted at the following address:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

As we get closer to the broadcast of the series season finale, email and voicemail can become handier than Snail Mail, but don't discount Snail Mail as the network can always change its mind even after the Upfronts.  So I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters, voicemail and email as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF.  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE BRIEF (FOR VOICEMAIL AND EMAIL):  If you leave a long voicemail, it sounds like a ramble by somebody who's unstable.  Just say who you are, where you're from, your approximate age, why you like Gg and why you think it shouldn't end/why you think the season finale is not enough.  And thank them for their time.

* BE POLITE. I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):  DON'T mention the salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

2)  If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, thats okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harrassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.

3) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff (ie:  Lauren and Alexis), Im sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you.  Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff your first priority.  If she gets the mail, she is sure to contact everybody else involved, including her bosses at the CWs corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the actors.  (Or else theyll hear it through the grapevine.)

4) And send them daisies.

BONUS ALERT:  Divine has set up a word document that can be downloaded at http://root.pcmasters.at/upload/files/2659036-List_of_Advertisers.doc  If you contact any of them, please follow the same rules as I list above and also keep in mind the following: 

Pllease be sure to compliment them on their support of Gg, add that you like their product if you use it (but don't lie if you don't use it) and let them know about how pleased you are for the companies' support of Gg given Gg's continued high ratings even in the face of the Griffith Park fire earlier this week and in light of how VM's ratings continue to plummet.  Don't othewise knock VM (it's a good show that, unfortunately has no potential whatsoever to grow in the ratings), but let them know something like, "If the CW is so close to keeping VM around with such low ratings, doesn't it make more sense for you as an advertiser to demand that The CW keep Gilmore Girls, too, since it gets *much* better ratings?"

BTW, do NOT copy what I wrote word-for-word.  It's not that I'm withholding permission, it's just that letters that are written with the same wording are considered astroturf, a type of spamming particular to letter-writing campaigns.  Speak/write from the heart about why you like the show/what the show means to you, what you know about what the ratings mean and that you would appreciate the advertisers' support since the networks unveil their new fall schedules to you advertisers next week.  As I said above, BE POLITE, BE ORIGINAL -- the advertisers want to know about your likes and dislikes as it helps them to decide where they're gonig to put their television advertising dollars.  It's okay to tell the advertisers that you're mad at the network, just don't do it in a way that even implies that you might be mad at the advertisers as the current cancelled state of the show is not their fault.  After all, they'd rather have the show with the higher ratings, y'know.

-- Rob

----------------------
Season 8:  Since  Lor and Luke go All-In, we should, too.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: