The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:53:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1733262 times)
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: May 08, 2007, 04:24:47 pm »

Chloe: I thought your letter was good. but it may sound more polite and professional if you referred to her as Ms. Ostroff, I wrote letters to Alexis and Lauren just today and that is what I did as well.

I don't know if anyone has already come up with this, but I thought about something that would at least be a decent compromise for me if an 8th season doesn't happen. When Dawson's Creek ended they did a series finale in which it was like 5 years in the future with what happened to all of them, they could do something like that with Gilmore Girls. I realize that making that the series finale is out of the question since it is airing next week and they'd still have to film this and I have heard people suggesting a reunion like a made for TV move or something, which Growing Pains did that and trust me, it was lame. However my thoughts were putting this hour special on the 7th season DVD. Since the season isn't over yet and they don't have a release date for the DVD of this season that I know of, I think it would be reasonable to film this special over the summer, possibly get ASP on board if possible and put it on as a special feature, to me that would be a nice gesture to the fans and a way to get more sets sold since people would be more inclined to buy it to see what happened. This would be really nice, especially after the lame move of not putting special features on the season 6 set. I mean after everything everyone is doing I think we deserve as much, but who would we need to contact about this possibility? Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other ideas.
It is better than nothing.  Not my first choice, but oh well.  and especially the whole marketing idea, where more people would buy it.  I would definately be more interested in buying it [even though I most likely will, I have all 6 others].  But, it also doesn't seem fair to others who can't get the DVD's.  They are generally 40-50 dollars, which is pretty pricey compared to other television shows.  But, it is worth mentioning, they may go for it.

copperboom21
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:55 pm »

Yeah, I would totally prefer a season 8 as well, but part of the reason I am so upset about this whole thing is that I really want to have closure and know what happens in the end, at least a sort of special feature on a DVD would be a way of getting that if the cast is not willing to do an 8th season, I don't see the harm in doing the equivalent of an additional episode, although it may require more creative writing features since it would be set like 5 years down the line. How can we propose this idea to the powers that be though, would we contact the cast, the CW, the writers or proudcers, who? Any suggestions? I am so pleased though that you guys like the idea, maybe its something we can work on after the 17th if our 8th seasons efforts fail?
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »

For those of you who are new to the Great 8 Mandate Thread, Welcome!  The energy that everyone is feeling is almost tangible to me and I know that a lot of you are wondering what you can do to help try to convince the CW to uncancel Gilmore Girls.  This post is about voicemail, email and snail mail.  Here’s what you can do:

1)  SEND SNAIL MAIL.

Handwriting is fine if your penmanship is good because it's such a personal form of communication.  Otherwise, typing and signing and mailing by snail mail is the single BEST way to contact them.  They expect to be deluged with email and voicemail and that helps as far as it goes, but the amount of effort that it takes to write/type a letter on paper and send it in an envelope always  makes a bigger impression than email and voicemail and the like.  There's a rule of thumb that floats about in various media industries that every individual piece of correspondence that's written on paper and delivered by mail represents the sentiments of at least 7 other people.  So if literally tens of thousands of pieces of snailmail are received, that's going to make a MUCH bigger impact on them than electronic forms of mail.

There are various addresses you can send your correspondence to, which are posted on page 1 of the thread, but IMO, the person who has the most potential to help is IMO, the CW’s President of Entertainment, Dawn Ostroff, who is the nexus of all network realities at the CW.  She can be contacted at the following address:

Ms. Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

Now, I have a few tips/suggestions to help make you make your letters as effective as possible:

* BE BRIEF.  Keep the length of your letter down to ONE side of ONE page, double space it and use a simple 10 or 12-point Times font.  (Arial font is hard to read.)   If your letter goes on for only one or two more lines beyond a page, don't sweat it, but the longer the letter is, the less of it they'll read before they move on to the next one.  Double-spacing is the exact opposite in print as it is online -- it's much  easier to read on paper than single spacing is -- and again, the need to be as brief as possible will make you more concise and to-the-point.  Conversely, single spacing will make you look a little wacky, especially if you go on for more than one page.

* BE BRIEF (AGAIN):  If you must single-space to get all you want on one page, skip a line between each paragraph as that will help maximize readability.  But definitely do not go over one side of one page at all.  And I'd suggest if you're going to do single-spacing your message should take up no more than 2/3rds of the page, not counting your signature.

* BE POLITE. I know that there's a lot of anger and sadness going on right now, but don't unleash any of it on the person that you're writing too (s/he may not even be responsible for what's happening to the show).  Just tell them why you like the show, the actors, the stories, how it affects you, why you think it should continue, etc.  If your letter is all tone and no substance, they won't read it.  Or maybe the first person who reads it won't pass it on to someone else at the studio or directly involved with the show.

* BE POLITE (Again):  DON'T mention the salary issues because it's not our place to address them.  Some form of "I hope that you are still looking for a solution that results in the show going on" would IMO be a great way to sidestep that issue.

2)  If you are going to send an email or leave a voice mail, that’s okay as a reinforcement of your Snail Mail, but DO NOT AS AN INDIVIDUAL FLOOD ANY INDIVIDUAL AT THE CW OR WARNERS WITH MULTIPLE VOICE MAILS OR E-MAILS.  It will do the exact opposite of what you intend because it's considered spamming and more or less harrassment.[/i]  They want to hear from as many individuals as possible.  And Snail Mail is a better way to do it than either email or voicemail because it's a tangible representation of the viewership's sentiments while electronic forms of correspondence are more abstract (because you can't hold them in your hands) and therefore easy to forget.  And remember to BE POLITE AND POSITIVE.  They already know that we're all upset, we just need to reinforce our presence in terms of the sheer number of individuals contacting them.

3) If you send mail to anyone other than Dawn Ostroff (ie:  Lauren and Alexis), I’m sure as heck not gonna try to discourage you.  Just please make contacting Ms. Ostroff your first priority.  If she gets the mail, she is sure to contact everybody else involved, including her bosses at the CW’s corporate parent companies, CBS/Paramount and Warner Brothers, as well as the actors.  (Or else they’ll hear it through the grapevine.)

4) And send them daisies.

-- Rob

-------------------------
Season 8:  Because Lauren's next movie, Evan Almighty, would be great advertising for it.
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: May 08, 2007, 04:40:28 pm »

Yeah, I would totally prefer a season 8 as well, but part of the reason I am so upset about this whole thing is that I really want to have closure and know what happens in the end, at least a sort of special feature on a DVD would be a way of getting that if the cast is not willing to do an 8th season, I don't see the harm in doing the equivalent of an additional episode, although it may require more creative writing features since it would be set like 5 years down the line. How can we propose this idea to the powers that be though, would we contact the cast, the CW, the writers or proudcers, who? Any suggestions? I am so pleased though that you guys like the idea, maybe its something we can work on after the 17th if our 8th seasons efforts fail?
I think writers and producers first, and they can suggest it to the cast/crew.  And also, I think five years is a little too far, maybe 1-2 is more appropriate.  But yeah, I am totally on the bandwagon for this one.  Anything to help.  

bellatrix318
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: May 08, 2007, 04:46:42 pm »

Chloe's letter was great! I just want to say that I watched Lauren on Ellen today and she really seemed like she didn't care whether GG lived or not.
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: May 08, 2007, 04:48:18 pm »

Chloe's letter was great! I just want to say that I watched Lauren on Ellen today and she really seemed like she didn't care whether GG lived or not.
Yeah, some points that she made were positive, and some were negitive.
VERY negitive.
"7 Seasons is a long time"-Ellen
"Too Long"-Lauren.
That really disappointed me
And it seemed weird that she got a phone call in the middle of dinner.  It seemed like if it was really up to her, it would have been finally announced at a negotiating table, but that is just how I imagined it. 

ameroo
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: May 08, 2007, 04:55:17 pm »

Hi Everyone!

I am on the West Coast so I just saw the Lauren Graham interview.  I firmly believe that when she said "the show will be a good season finale, and then said uh...and a good series finale" that she did not believe it at all.  I know a lot of talk has been going around on different forums since her Ausiello interview that she does not care about her fans but I think it was truly heartfelt when she thanked the fans and she does believe the show has gone on so long because of this.   This actually gives me a little more hope that we can pull this off.   Now I think it isn't just for us, it is for the actors as well!
LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: May 08, 2007, 05:11:16 pm »

Kara- I think Lauren was joking when she said 7 seasons was too long.  At least thats how i interpreted it...
gillies-down under
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12:11 pm »

Clover

I mailed some cards to Dawn, Lauren and Alexis yesterday,  They are cards from Cafe Press which have lots of Gilmore"isms" on them with the title " Everything I need to Know about life  I've learned from the Gilmores .  That along with the Aussie stamp (believe it or not with a wombat on it) and all the airmail stickers should look pretty good.

I've also just contributed to Heidi's Daisy campaign on Paypal.  and sent heaps of emails.   I still think we have a great fighting chance, and from what I've read here Lauren seems to want to do it.

Keep pushing,  we need this fabulous series to get the respect it deserves with a proper ending   GO SERIES 8  
Lauren is my idol
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 277

.:.Lauren is such an inspiration to me!.:.

View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: May 08, 2007, 05:23:16 pm »

I saw Lauren on Ellen like 30 minutes ago (when it was on lol) and yeah, she did sound disappointed...It was almost a fake laugh.

Java Junkie Pleased
"I just like to see you happy"
My names Gena. Like Jenna =]
ILY mel, olivia, amber, dybbi, maggie, myra, britney, grace, rory, spence
yelnatslp
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: May 08, 2007, 06:03:58 pm »

the commercial just now said "series finale"....
ive been gone for 2 wks, did we know tht already?
Stillstanding
Town Resident

Community Points: 16

View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: May 08, 2007, 06:05:23 pm »

Ahh... I can't believe there is only one episode left ever!!! i think i cried this whole episode.. wanting to to come on but not at the same time so i still have time with GG, to look forward to it.. this episode was sooooo great.. they are just getting better and better, and now we just get cut off.. it makes me so sad.. and the realty of seeing next weeks preview and it saying, after 7 years, we say goodbye with the series finale of Gilmore Girls.. and luke and lorelai...  Cry   i wanna see the wedding!!!! im gonna be so upset next tuesday, it will be a day we will remember forever, im so sad about what happened in the episode tho.. no details b/c I know alot of you havn't seen it yet or whatever) just know its the best one yet.. and next weeks will be better.. its happy and sad at the same time i think.  the previews for next week give away alot tho.. i think im gonna watch it like 50 times lol..Bon voyage Gilmore Girls!

gillies-down under
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: May 08, 2007, 06:08:48 pm »

Coffee

Just saw a "series final" design for t shirts etc on Cafe Press ...... Looks like the word is out..   LETS FIX THIS NOW SERIES 8 IS A NECESSITY

GilmoreFanatic203
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4543 on: May 08, 2007, 06:10:50 pm »

It's so sad to think that after next week Gilmore Girls will be no more. I cried this whole episode and it looks like next week is going to see me bawling my eyes out too. Bon voyage Gilmore Girls!!!

Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 647

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4544 on: May 08, 2007, 06:12:25 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that I have good news regarding the Great8Mandate Daisy Campaign.  In all, we raised about $450 ... which, as I'm sure you can imagine, buys a fair amount of daises.

Operating under the assumption 'the sooner, the better' I began calling different florists earlier today in order to find the best possible fit for our needs (I probably called at least 15 different shops).  You might be surprised to learn that some florists weren't entirely willing to deal with my request.  Whether that was due to Mother's Day being right around the corner or because of the quantity of daisies involved, who knows.  Not to be deterred, I wasn't going to rest until I found someone who understood our cause and wanted to work with us.

And I did just that.  Have you ever had a feeling that all was right with the world?  That you've had a great day and are totally pleased with yourself?  That's me right now.  I feel confident in saying that I didn't pick a good florist, I picked the florist.  Going into this project I had a list of requirements in mind that I wanted a florist to meet, Bent Willow Florist met and exceeded those expectations. 

So, how many daisies does $450 buy?  A whooole lot!  When I stopped by the shop to drop off our cards that will be included with the arrangements I was given a preview ... pure yellowness all around.  (For those of you wondering, the daisy contributions were specifically used to buy Lauren, Alexis, and Dawn flower arrangements.  The deliveries will be made tomorrow.)  At my request, Bent Willow Florist will also be e-mailing me photos of the final products.  I'll definitely post the images here as soon as possible.

Handwritten (by me) inside each card was some form of the following (depending on who the exact recipient was):  "For seven seasons we watched as Lorelai and Rory worked to find their place in the world.  We delighted in the show's vibrant characters, followed the girls through their ups and downs, and researched obscure pop-culture references.  Every week we felt like residents of Stars Hollow and as the credits began to roll we were always left wanting more.  Once the Gilmore Girls are in your life, they're in your life forever ... and if there's any possible way to extend the Gilmore life by 13 episodes please consider whatever it takes."  I then included a little more season 8 commentary, added another thank you, and signed things on behalf of the entire GilmoreGirls.org community.  I also included my e-mail address and snail mail address in hopes of getting some kind of reply.  ::fingers crossed::

I hope those sentiments were to everyone's liking.  I put a lot of thought into what we should say.  As most of you know, Lauren, Alexis, and Dawn also received photo books from the Great8Mandate Fan Photo Campaign and in those books I included information on the Great8Mandate, season 8 desires, and GilmoreGirls.org ... so I didn't want to be repetitive.

- Receipt for daisies
- Front of cards
- Inside of cards

Anyone have questions that I didn't answer? Smiley

~Heidi
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:29:51 pm by Heidi » Logged

Flame    Flame
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: