The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:44:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
476534 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1734276 times)
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: May 08, 2007, 03:25:13 pm »

More from SassyPaws:

From SassyPaws:

Apparently the girls were under the impression that the advertisers had threatened the CW with withdrawing all network ad money if they did not deliver Gilmore's coveted females teen audience. That led the girls to believe that they had the backing of the advertisers and could force the network do anything they wanted. They greatly miscalculated since apparently the advertisers are really pleased with the crop of new pilots and, though they like GG, they aren’t that concern with its demise.
Despite the public persona that has been presented by Lauren, according to my sources, she was totally shocked when the network ended negotiations and is not happy at all with the fallout that is rippling through Hollywood.

Uhhhhh, exCUSE me, but first Sassypaws is saying that they wanted to do only 8 episodes and THEN 'Paws says that the gals thought that they had the backing of advertisers -- which would be ridonkulous for a merely 8-episode season?

About the only thing that I believe is that Lauren was indeed shocked by the cancellation because that's how she comes off in both Ausiello's extensive interview with her and in Ellen's short interview with her.  It's notable, to, that in regards to the Ellen interview, she so simplifies it into the whole, "It was a mutual decision" shpiel that you can tell that she was just doing that because she had less than ten minutes of airtime to go into it  and didn't have the time to mention that she and Alexis were separately negotiating with the network at nearly every interval.  It's increasingly sounding to me like Sassypaws needs to stop doing damage control for the network because it's becoming more and more obvious that s/he is a plant, an infiltrator into fandom by the studio's publicity machine that's quickly trying to do damage control (badly).

Now, I can believe it in when Stephen Battaglio said in his article this week at TV Guide online that the CW is confident in the selection of pilots that it's got to choose from, but the problem is, they don't recognize that one of them is The Reaping, a Supernatural ripoff, one of them is a remake of the Bionic Woman (an expensive concept in and of itself -- it's dead in the water even if it gets greenlit to series) and one of them, Gossip Girl, is being showrun by the hugely inconsistent Josh Schwartz (not to mention that if a show with those initials gets the 8pm Tuesday timeslot under these conditions, it's, again, dead in the water.)

Guys, it's time to look at who's advertising in tonight's episode of Gilmore Girls.  Find out where they can be contacted and tell them that you're very displeased with the CW's decision to cancel Gg and that you don't find the CW's potential lineup to be promising.  Compliment whichever show whose description you like (check www.thefutoncritic.com or next week's TV Guide (on stands tomorrow) for more details on pilot season.

If anybody can compile a list of advertisers, their products and their addresses, please post them here.  We *can* have an effect.  KFC, for example, was *very* cooperative with the Save Farscape campaign.  If they advertise on Gg, then totally glom onto that and find an address.  But we need the addresses of every advertiser we can get to change their minds or, if they weren't changed in the first place and want to see Gg continue, to persuade them to lean on the network to go back to the negotiating table.

In some very weird ways, the spin that Sassypaws is trying to put on it is having the exact opposite effect of what s/he apparently intends.  Hee.

-- Rob

------------------------------
Season 8:  Because advertisers need to be reminded that Gilmore Girls has been the *only* show to get any traction against American Idol's target audience in the past six years and *still* gets high ratings in those target demographics that it shares with Idol.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:27:28 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
flashwalker5582
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

gilmore girl power

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4516 on: May 08, 2007, 03:31:52 pm »

How can i get one of those buttons to stick unto one of my online profiles???
Please help me!

I'm Ashley the turtle
one of the biggest gilmore girls freaks!!!
go_clo

Community Points: 46

Season 8 or bust!!

View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: May 08, 2007, 03:33:16 pm »

Love your posts Rob, you are too brilliant to be watching The CW hehe GG should move to a new network.

K guys, I'm trying to write my letter to Dawn (I hope to write more to others like Alexis and Lauren) and I don't really know if I like it, I feel like it may need something or there is too much written and I should cut something but I don't know what to cut! I want it to be perfect before I send it so can you guys take a look at it and help me out please?! I don't write alot of letters. Constructive critisism welcome! Smiley

Dear Dawn Ostroff,

Hello, my name is Chloie. I'm Canadian and I'm writing you in regards to the cancellation of, one of CW's finest, Gilmore Girls! I'm guessing you have probably gottan more then a billion letters and emails on this subject already and you must be rather sick of them but I'm writing this anyway cause I just love the show too much to let it go without doing something!

First off, I know you have probably gottan alot of extremely angry letters on this matter filled with capatals and exclamation marks and I would like to assure you that this won't be one of them. I would simply like to state my opinion, suggest a couple thing's and try to bribe you with a bit of flattery which probably won't work but at least I can try right?

Moving on, I would like to thank you so much for keeping Gilmore Girls on for as long as you did and from the rumours I've been hearing, you did almost everything you could to bring the show back for yet another year and I am extremely thankful for that. It is an amazing show and deserves at least 8 seasons!! You've done a great job with the network so far and I think Gilmore Girls would make the network even more successful then it already is.

Now I don't know exactly what happened but from rumours spreading around the net, the network did alot to get the show back and almost succeeded but for some reason, at the last minute, the show was cancelled. Now from interviews with Lauren Graham, she wanted to come back but the schedule was way too exhausting and time consuming which I can understand. Well after hearing this, me and my fellow Mandaters at The Great8Mandate over at gilmoregirls.org (thats right, we are still fighting) started brainstorming on ideas we could send to help change that. Most of the more obvious things like lessening the episode numbers from 22 to 13 were not disscussed for obvious reasons, we knew you had already brought that up with the girls and was apparently turned down cause even 13 episodes was too much work but from gathering all info and rumours put out their for us, we came up with a couple ideas that may or may not have been discussed

1. You could go through with the 13 episodes but since even that is too much for the girls to handle why don't you try something a little different. Instead of doing the 13 episodes in the same time it takes to do 13 episodes now, why don't you drag the airing of those 13 episodes out to take as long as 22 episodes would take to air. You could make longer hiatus' for the show, maybe take random week breaks every now and then and the girls (and everyone else involved) would get a chance to take their time filming, they would get longer breaks and we would still get a S8. Or instead of giving them longer breaks after they are done shooting a few episodes, they could take the same amount of days they take to film 13 episodes now but give them shorter hour days like instead of filming for 14-16 hours a day, cut their hours to about 9 or 10.

Now if this isn't possible for some strange reason or it was already brought up at the negotiation table but turned down, someone else at the org came up with another idea. After she came up with it though, Lauren went on Ellen and they coincidentally started talking about the same thing but were joking about it like it wasn't possible so I'm having doubts about it. I'll mention it anyway though:

2. Why don't you wait a year to make S8, I've never heard of a show doing this but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. This would give everyone a year long break, they would get some time to breath, Alexis could film her movie, the new pilots lined up could get a bit of a chance and you can see which ones are the most popular ones and cancel the ones that don't do well cause lets face it, not all those pilots will do good and definately not as good as Gilmore Girls. At least then you would have GG as a backup for any pilot that doesn't do well at the end of the year! Everyone could come back after a year and do the final 13-22 episodes that everyone is begging for. Right now Gilmore Girls fans will do anything to get more GG including wait a year to get it!

That's all we came up with so far. Sorry if you had already discussed this or if these suggestions just aren't possible. If they are somewhat possible, please take them into consideration and maybe go back to the negotiations table Smiley

So thats all I have to say, please take it into consideration and do anything it takes to bring Gilmore Girls back. The show is absolutely amazing and deserves more, it deserves a planned out series finale, not one that could serve as either or. It deserves a season planned out to be the last, all storylines that have been anticipated since the pilot started and ended in a timely matter, all loose ends tied and a year or so to say goodbye. Not 2 weeks!

Yours Truly,
Chloie *********
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:34:57 pm by go_clo » Logged

Keep The Faith For Season 8! Cause 8 Is Fate!
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: May 08, 2007, 03:44:48 pm »

go_clo, actuallly, The Sopranos has normally had 18-month-to-two year hiatuses between seasons.  The Shield and Nip/Tuck seem to take an extra six months between seasons than the usual 3-month hiatuses for regular broadcast shows, too.  Wink

OTOH, that sort of a model really wouldn't work for a broadcast TV show.  I think what *would* work is taking 2 1/2 weeks or so of 8-10 hour workdays (ie: reasonable working hours) to do the show.  Start filming when they normally do, start airing the episodes in January.  Even though the whole season wouldn't be in the can by a January premiere date, they'd certainly be done with a 13-episode season a month before the last episode would air.

-- Rob

-----------------------
Season 8:  Because, well, Lauren needs to be just busy enough to NOT go and buy a really bad frock from Madonna's clothing line, but not enough to not have a love life.
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: May 08, 2007, 03:45:57 pm »

I'm confused at what we are doing with the advertisers.
Some please explain!

And didn't Alias take a year break one time? Or am I just imagining that??

love is blind so you didn't see me.
soxgrrl33
« Reply #4520 on: May 08, 2007, 03:50:12 pm »

Chloe-- loved the letter, hope she reads it and realizes what great ideas thay are!! I sent 1 yesterday, but it wasn't nearly as good as yours!
logansLover
« Reply #4521 on: May 08, 2007, 03:52:52 pm »

Chloe--- Love yur letter hun! It's amazing! If these letters don't inspire Dawn and the Girls, I really don't think anything can!
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: May 08, 2007, 03:54:06 pm »

Hey Everyone.
I just thought of something, and I have no clue if It has been mentioned yet, but, it is worth putting out there just to see opinions.
Do you think that it would be possible/likely to show episodes every OTHER week, so then cutting the work time in half (4-5 hours a day 6 or so days a week/8-10 hours a day, three days a week?).  I don't know the inner workings of television, but is this at all possible?  

logansLover
« Reply #4523 on: May 08, 2007, 03:56:17 pm »

It has been mentioned before, but there was really no duscussion of it. I really have no Idea what it would do with the network, but i think it is something that we need to talkovber, and maybe take asction on
KrazyKutie318
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 6

I'm Trish! LUKE*<3*LORELAI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4524 on: May 08, 2007, 04:02:51 pm »

I agree with rob, none of the pilotes sound good at alll.  The only one I would even concider watching is the one that sounds suspitiously like E! Daily Top 10, and the Gossip Girl one, just because I read the books.  Sad, sad lineup.....

Lorelai: Bicycle, unicycle, unitard, hockey puck, rattlesnake monkey monkey underpants!
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: May 08, 2007, 04:03:35 pm »

It has been mentioned before, but there was really no duscussion of it. I really have no Idea what it would do with the network, but i think it is something that we need to talkovber, and maybe take asction on
Yeah, it seems like it could be a possibility.  A Reruns everyother week? Or something like it.  I mean, they allready have enough re runs as it is

copperboom21
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: May 08, 2007, 04:07:26 pm »

Chloe: I thought your letter was good. but it may sound more polite and professional if you referred to her as Ms. Ostroff, I wrote letters to Alexis and Lauren just today and that is what I did as well.

I don't know if anyone has already come up with this, but I thought about something that would at least be a decent compromise for me if an 8th season doesn't happen. When Dawson's Creek ended they did a series finale in which it was like 5 years in the future with what happened to all of them, they could do something like that with Gilmore Girls. I realize that making that the series finale is out of the question since it is airing next week and they'd still have to film this and I have heard people suggesting a reunion like a made for TV move or something, which Growing Pains did that and trust me, it was lame. However my thoughts were putting this hour special on the 7th season DVD. Since the season isn't over yet and they don't have a release date for the DVD of this season that I know of, I think it would be reasonable to film this special over the summer, possibly get ASP on board if possible and put it on as a special feature, to me that would be a nice gesture to the fans and a way to get more sets sold since people would be more inclined to buy it to see what happened. This would be really nice, especially after the lame move of not putting special features on the season 6 set. I mean after everything everyone is doing I think we deserve as much, but who would we need to contact about this possibility? Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other ideas.
ObessedwithGG

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4527 on: May 08, 2007, 04:09:08 pm »

Chloe: I thought your letter was good. but it may sound more polite and professional if you referred to her as Ms. Ostroff, I wrote letters to Alexis and Lauren just today and that is what I did as well.

I don't know if anyone has already come up with this, but I thought about something that would at least be a decent compromise for me if an 8th season doesn't happen. When Dawson's Creek ended they did a series finale in which it was like 5 years in the future with what happened to all of them, they could do something like that with Gilmore Girls. I realize that making that the series finale is out of the question since it is airing next week and they'd still have to film this and I have heard people suggesting a reunion like a made for TV move or something, which Growing Pains did that and trust me, it was lame. However my thoughts were putting this hour special on the 7th season DVD. Since the season isn't over yet and they don't have a release date for the DVD of this season that I know of, I think it would be reasonable to film this special over the summer, possibly get ASP on board if possible and put it on as a special feature, to me that would be a nice gesture to the fans and a way to get more sets sold since people would be more inclined to buy it to see what happened. This would be really nice, especially after the lame move of not putting special features on the season 6 set. I mean after everything everyone is doing I think we deserve as much, but who would we need to contact about this possibility? Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other ideas.

I actually wouldn't mind this option.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a season 8, short or not, but this could possibly be a very good copromise.  **PrettyStick** to you for an orginally idea!

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
ShutUpRob

View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: May 08, 2007, 04:15:27 pm »

Hey Everyone.
I just thought of something, and I have no clue if It has been mentioned yet, but, it is worth putting out there just to see opinions.
Do you think that it would be possible/likely to show episodes every OTHER week, so then cutting the work time in half (4-5 hours a day 6 or so days a week/8-10 hours a day, three days a week?).  I don't know the inner workings of television, but is this at all possible?  

It's not possible.  When a show airs, it has to air weekly or people won't tune into it, so the only thing that they can really do is shorten the work day to 8-10 hours per day, film the given episode over a few extra days (10-12 working days rather than 7-8 as is the current model), then bank the episodes to start airing weekly at the earliest they can start airing it and never have to skip a week for that episode. 13 episodes straight through, but with normal-person working hours.  That would suggest a January premiere date for a 13-episode season.

CathyCoffee -- Alias skipped 2 years in timeline between seasons 2 and 3, but didn't change its filming schedule.  Alias did, however, take an extra long break in filming somewhere in late fall/early winter during its last season to work around Jennifer Garner's maternity leave.  I think it turned out to be around about 2 months interrupting the middle of the shooting of that last season.  But otherwise, the shooting schedule was the same in terms of hours per day as it is on any other show.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Lorelai and Emily should drink Mojitos together.  But keep Emily away from the cigarettes!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:18:15 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
KaraGilmore
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: May 08, 2007, 04:22:36 pm »

Hey Everyone.

It's not possible.  When a show airs, it has to air weekly or people won't tune into it, so the only thing that they can really do is shorten the work day to 8-10 hours per day, film the given episode over a few extra days (10-12 working days rather than 7-8 as is the current model), then bank the episodes to start airing weekly at the earliest they can start airing it and never have to skip a week for that episode. 13 episodes straight through, but with normal-person working hours.  That would suggest a January premiere date for a 13-episode season.

-- Rob

--------------------------
Season 8:  Because Lorelai and Emily should drink Mojitos together.  But keep Emily away from the cigarettes!
I think I understand.  Except, can we make this happen?  Is there anyone we can write to to suggest this?  Who would be the most appropriate person?  I would be more than willing to help, if its possible.

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: