The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:46:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1762577 times)
gg4evr
Town Resident

Community Points: 4

I Heart Rory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3465 on: April 20, 2007, 05:24:27 am »

teavee.com update!!

Current vote total is 31331. Rank is #8. (4129 away from #7 and 272 ahead of #9)

Over 31,000 votes so far for our favorite girls and in the Top 10 at #8!!  How appropriate!! Gilmore Girls at #8 for season 8!! Smiley Great job everybody!!  Just 11 days of voting left for the month!! Smiley  Please stop by when you can and show your support for our girls.  Voting is at 10 minute intervals so you can post here in between voting and also chat with GG fans from all over the world there!  Go Gilmore Girls!!! Smiley 

Vote for Gilmore Girls to show TV executives what fans really care about!!    http://www.teavee.com/gilmoregirls/

neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3466 on: April 20, 2007, 07:14:29 am »

Wow, I am really out of the loop. The CW doesn't air all over the country? I know that everyone's TV watching is so diverse now, but I figured it was at least "available". It's just included in my 'local' channels...

thanks go_clo for some insight on Nielsen boxes; that still seems lame. Like Gallop polls. It's all about *which* random group of people happen to be polled, it's not truly representative of the whole- like it would really be that difficult to just keep track of everyone's Direct Tv/comcast box? idk...

Anyway, I still cannot wait to send out my daisy stuff, I really wish it was the 25th already! I also wish that I had DVR so that I could watch Hay Bale Maze again.

And enough with the teasers, when are we going to get an official word about this Season 8 business?! And I don't want Krisitin Veitch to get credit for it.

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3467 on: April 20, 2007, 07:26:14 am »

I don't think we will know anything official until Mid-May

My New Website
Chrissi
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: April 20, 2007, 08:26:05 am »

can anyone tell me why the letters need to be sent till april 25th or on this specific date?
i sent mine on wednesday...is it because they'll all arrive at the same time??? Huh

...angel without wings
the_real_paul_anka
« Reply #3469 on: April 20, 2007, 11:04:45 am »

Chrissi...i am in love with your siggy. did you make it? sorry for getting off topic. lol.
laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: April 20, 2007, 11:47:02 am »

can anyone tell me why the letters need to be sent till april 25th or on this specific date?
i sent mine on wednesday...is it because they'll all arrive at the same time??? Huh

Yes, it was so that they all get there around the same time so they have a bigger impact.  It’s okay, you mailed them and that’s what counts!  Wink
iluvgilmoregirls!
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 9

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:02 pm »

So should I just keep sending letters to like everyone? Smiley
ObessedwithGG

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3472 on: April 20, 2007, 04:08:01 pm »

I think that we can't stop sending letters and mandating until the offical announcement from the CW is made!  I don't think that we are doing any harm by letting them know how we feel and how badly we want another season.  If anything, now we have to start campaigning for a full season...and maybe another... Grin

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
iluvgilmoregirls!

Gilmore Girls 4ever!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: April 20, 2007, 05:39:34 pm »

Ok I am going start writing my letters as soon as possible my friend Amanda is coming over tomorrow and I just got her hooked on Gilmore girls so we could have a great8mandate party like some other people were doing. One question  we sending all the letters on 25th right?
Thanks Smiley
gilmoregirlforever
Town Resident

Community Points: 6

Bring the blue hat back!

View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: April 20, 2007, 07:45:26 pm »

I just listened to the podcast at tvguide.com and Ausiello was saying that he thinks that Lauren will be the deciding factor and the decision about how many episodes next season will come down to her.  Just his opinion, but we have to still make sure we are flooding Lauren with letters and pictures and all our support for another season.  So keep writing letters using those cool flower pictures that people have designed and keep fighting.  Ausiello said that even though people were talking about a season 8 like it's a done deal, that doesn't mean that tomorrow Lauren and others couldn't just decide that they are finished after the current season.  Right now we have to think of all news about next season as rumours and keep showing our support until we have an official announcement because things can change in a second and so we can't lighten up on our mandating.  ~~~

"I saw this guy in front of me, who was a real man...he was solid and he was strong...he would protect me, but he...he got me." ~ Lorelai
ShutUpRob

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: April 20, 2007, 11:28:25 pm »

Wow, I am really out of the loop. The CW doesn't air all over the country? I know that everyone's TV watching is so diverse now, but I figured it was at least "available". It's just included in my 'local' channels...

I live out in the boonies in Central MO -- there's a local CW station, but its signal is so weak that it doesn't reach my house, so we qualify for DishTV's Superstations package.  Used to include three timezones of WB stations and two timezones of UPN stations, now it's got three timezones of the CW (WPIX, KWGN and KTLA) and howevermany useless superstations that were dumb enough to sign up with MyNetwork when they were left without a network after the merger (WWOR and WSBK, I think).  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I sure buried the lede above but did I mention that I get three timezones of the CW?  Yay, me!  Well, it sure makes programming the DVR a whole lot easier on Thursdays, let me tell you.

thanks go_clo for some insight on Nielsen boxes; that still seems lame. Like Gallop polls. It's all about *which* random group of people happen to be polled, it's not truly representative of the whole- like it would really be that difficult to just keep track of everyone's Direct Tv/comcast box? idk...

Oh, I bet if they could just keep it down to extracting data from everyone's satellite or cable box, people would just hack 'em to make the ratings unreliable -- like, say, make the box read that you watched a repeat of Veronica Mars when you were watching a repeat of CSI just to "help" Veronica Mars in the ratings.  So I don't imagine that that's *ever* gonna happen.   Tongue

One of my best friends from the dorms at the real "Hearst" College (aka SDSU), was, of course, my roommate -- and he's pretty much finished up his PhD in psychology by now.  One thing about him is that he had to take a *lot* of statistics classes because certain types of research in psychology are so dependent on statistic analyses of all sorts, not just polls, so I got a bit of a rough knowledge of how statistical sampling works.  There *is* a scientific basis for this type of polling and mathematical algorithms for extrapolating the actual viewerships from these Nielsen viewers.  I know, your eyes just rolled at what just said above  Wink , but what it means is that it has a sound mathematical foundation   

While it's based somewhat on the US Census (which is done every 10 years, of course), they're still always making adjustments to their algorithms to take into account the change of the demographics over time.  They can't not make the adjustments, it just takes time for them to gather the data that tracks the demographic changes, such as the recent addition of college dorms to Nielsen samples -- a change that benefited a *lot* of the CW's shows -- Gg in particular -- because college students are the CW's target demographic but at the same time have been caught in the paradox of not being counted because they most often are citizens of their hometown, not of the city that they're studying in.  IOW, they were falling through the cracks.  Well, to make a long story . . . even longer . . . the Nielsens finally figured out how to take care of that paradox, which was a change had been a long time coming -- and it took so long to implement because they had to figure out how to gather the data when, well, dorms have many different ways and means of viewing TV -- TVs in your dorm room, TVs in communal rooms on your floor, communal rooms for the whole dorm building, classrooms, etc.  But it's gotten more precise.  (Similarly, an adjustment they made to samples of different ethic groups about three years back ended up boosting the ratings of spanish-language/network shows and hurting WB/UPN shows, but, well, the addition of dorms have kinda taken the edge off that one.  BID.)

Anyway, it's mindboggling (and it makes me glad that my BA is in theater and not math *or* psychology), but when you talk to, say, the Temperance Brennan of Stastics (as opposed to forensic anthropology), as my roommate was (okay, he was more of a Hodgins) you realize, "My god, it takes so long to explain but it does make sense after all!

And enough with the teasers, when are we going to get an official word about this Season 8 business?! And I don't want Krisitin Veitch to get credit for it.

Well, remember that article on actor salaries in Entertainment Weekly from a couple of weeks back that made allusions in the first paragraph to certain actresses on the CW being miffed that Kyra Sedwick is making $250K per episode on The Closer -- a show on a basic cable channel, and a show that only films 13 episodes per year, and a show that's, well, just a police procedural.  There's really only three actresses on the network that could reasonably be miffed, IMO -- Lauren, Alexis and Smallville's Kristin Kreuk.  Something tells me that Kyra Sedwick is indirectly making the negotiations for Gg more tricky than they otherwise would have to be.  I just hope that the CW realizes that they can't afford to NOT have Gg on the schedule next year, given the high failure rate of new shows, the high number of empty timeslots on the network even assuming that Gg returns and again, even the need to retain a tentpole show the year after next, when they don't have Smallville anymore.  (Smallville will be ending next season whether they admit it before May 2008 or not.)  Something tells me that if the rumor is true that LG and AB are reportedly going to agree to a 22-episode order with the provision that they can end it at 13-episodes, that strongly suggests to me that they're going to get as close to Kyra money as they can possibly get in exchange for the maximum number of episodes.

If I were an accountant for the WB, I'd probably have the gals contracted to take a lower salary, say, $150K per episode (I'm pulling the number out of my rear-end as an example, but based on the EW article and some discussions I've read, I'm guessing that it's in the ballpark of what LG already makes) if they only opt to do 13-episodes but then bump them up to, say, $200K-$225K or even more, retroactive to the first episode of the season if they stay on for the full 22. 

It's my guess that there's some type of negotiating like that still going on between the network, the studio and the actresses.  Haggling over financial issues, production deals and other incentives to try to get them to stay on for as long as possible while the network and studio at the same time remain able to make a profit (or at least lose as little as possible) from new episodes of the show.  Warner Studio can probably more afford to pay them what they deserve than the network can just because the show does so well on DVD that it's likely that Warner still will make a hefty profit on new episodes even if they, say, given LG and AB (more?) profit participation in the DVDs (NOTE: many lead TV actors do NOT get profit participation on DVDs, or the profit participation is so minimal as to be a joke.  Heck, a lot of the time, they don't even get the comp copies of the DVDs that they're owed because comps tend to get ransacked from production offices.)  But I think that now that the show has wrapped for the season, they're likely working to close the deal as soon as possible.  I doubt that they'll let the negotiations drag on until the very last minutes before the Upfronts if at all possible simply because announcing the renewal at the Upfronts would IMO create expectations so high in the network, the studio, the advertisers *and* the audience that any and every returning show would absolutely 100% be unable to fulfill.  With the season finale airing on May 15th and the CW's Upfronts occurring two days later on the 17th, I won't start worrying unless we haven't heard anything by May 8th or so.  Actually, I'll start worrying on May 1st and start freaking out on May 8th.

At this point, though, I'm more worried about whether or not they'll announce if s8 will be the final season when they make any official announcement about its return.  I think it's always a mistake to announce in advance that any given season of any given show is the final season of that show for the same reason that I think it would be a mistake to announce the show's renewal at the Upfronts -- it just pumps up everybody's expectations to heights that cannot possibly be met.  And besides which, announcing that a given show's new season will be its final season will create resentment in the audience if, say, everybody changes their mind at the last minute ala 7th Heaven this past season.  Well, really, 7H could never do anything right these past few years, but still . . .

-- Rob

------------------------
Seasons 8 AND 9:  Because in some alternate universe, Lorelai doesn't sing Dolly Parton songs -- she's the fourth Dixie Chick.
Chrissi
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: April 21, 2007, 05:00:02 am »

@the_real_paul_anka: thanks,yes i made it by myself  Wink im glad you like it

@laurla205: thanks for your answer. that's what i thought too ^^
i'd really like to see the faces of the crew or the person who opens the letters...

...angel without wings
neverapuff
Town Resident

Community Points: 59

Want a personalized GG quilt? PM me, I'm Rachael!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3477 on: April 21, 2007, 07:16:48 am »

interesting, I feel so enlightened....

So- polls are legit? ...and, I guess I have to accept the fact that Neilsen boxes are a real thing...hmmm... how do I get one? (However, they might not care to know that half the day one of my tvs is on Nick Jr. BID) But thank you for explaining (as much as I'll understand) the ratings thing... Ausiello mentioning that s8 hinges on Lauren is iinteresting, because I had mentioned before that recently it seems there *hasn't* been much talk of Alexis. At first I thought, 'that's it, she's defnitely out, the only option may be a Rory-less/lite s8'.  Rob is right about the money, I hope; the ladies should be holding out. Anything to do with celebrities and money makes me irrate considering the discrepencies among the classes in this country and all that, but it is what is and putting it aside: if Kira freakin Sedgwick (no offense, but come on) can make 250k, for less episodes after one (?) season... LG and AB deserve at least that. Hopefully, everyone will come to their senses. And yes, I agree that when they announce it I hope they just say, "yes, GG will be back for an 8th season!" I don't want the hear the word "last" at all... Rob, you mentioned what happened to Friends before, and you were very right about Jennifer (blah) and Courtnery (still sharp) but even the story lines were so flat, I don't want that to happen to the Ladies Smiley
...and wow, wouldn't a season 9 just be dreamy?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 07:29:15 am by neverapuff » Logged

Visit www.savethelorelais.org to keep fighting!

Thank you SKFTEX for making this sig!
stracciatella
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: April 21, 2007, 08:19:45 am »

http://media.www.columbiaspectator.com/media/storage/paper865/news/2007/04/20/ArtsEntertainment/A.Gilmore.Girl.Is.Back.In.Town-2871082.shtml

http://media.www.columbiaspectator.com/media/storage/paper865/news/2007/04/20/ArtsEntertainment/The-Most.Talkative.Furnald.Resident.Ever-2871057-page1.shtml

ObessedwithGG

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3479 on: April 21, 2007, 08:21:58 am »

The only thing I'm glad about right now is the fact that we are getting closer and closer to May, and to an offical announcement.  Though, I certainly agree with Rob, if they announce season 8, don't say, final season.  Just leave it at the fact the Girls are coming back.  You never know what might happen, and a season 9 would be utterly Fabulous!  Now, I'm not counting my chickens or anything, I'm fully aware that currently and officially we don't even have a season 8.  And I'm fully aware of the speculation and rumors going around, but I still believe that the season 8 announcement will come soon, and hopefully it'll be everything we want it to be.  Four episodes is just not enough.

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: