The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:15:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 463 Print
Author Topic: The GilmoreGirls.org Great8Mandate  (Read 1764592 times)
Gilmore_Lover
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 77

*Jenny*

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 20, 2007, 10:24:18 am »

I just can't believe that so many people would pick Veronica or Gilmore Girls? Are they seriously? How are they coming to this conclusion? Gilmore Girls has quadruple the ratings of Veronica, so all of the Veronica watchers must be crazy internet people, or each person has five different profiles on tvguide.com  It's just annoying...I think everyone that watches that show is 12.  Ok, enough with my lude behaviour...

Well at least we know what we are talking about  Grin

God I hope there is another season!  I have my fingers, toes, hands, legs, arms and eyes crossed...I look like a pretzel 

I have never had such a strong continuous feeling of nervousness in my life and apparently I am going to feel this way for another month...goody!  But it is worth it if we get our girls for one more season.

Hhahaha I look like a pretzel...that was cute.
And I know really, I don't know anyone hardly who watches Veronica Mars.
And if they do, I sure don't know of any diehard fans, I'll tell you that much.
<3

<333 WATCH THIS--It'll change your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 .ONE LOVE.
LoganNRory4ever
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

My best friend and I on my 21st birthday!

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 20, 2007, 10:26:40 am »

I do know people who watch VM... myself included.. but I don't know any diehard fans either.

I cetainly dont believe that VM should have people pushing for it like GG. GG is a classic... MOST people only started watching VM because it was on after GG!

:::Ashley Rohlfing:::
www.myspace.com/great8mandatesavegg
Richard: I need you to focus!
Lorelai: I'm a camera!!

"In Omnia Paratus!!!"

laurla205
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 384

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:51 am »

- Who's leaking the 'Alexis is holding up season 8' information?  Is it a leak to try and pressure her to sign ... or is it common knowledge that everyone else is willing to move forward?  Will holding out on season 8 hurt her career in the short-term?  Long-term?  Do we think she already has something else lined up and that's why she's so willing to jump ship?

Here's another thought I saw brought up somewhere else: How happy is the studio that all of these leaks are out?  The reasoning behind this thought was that they are getting a ton of attention as a result.  And to go one step further, how much of it are they purposely leaking in order to gain attention? 

Just one of those fleeting thoughts I saw Smiley
gilmoregirlforever
Town Resident

Community Points: 6

Bring the blue hat back!

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:15 am »

Hey guys...

You need to watch this -->  http://cw11.trb.com/entertainment/network/gilmoregirls/stv-gilmoregirls-pkgmedia,0,6458734.special

It is a video of an interview with Ed Herrmann, where viewers sent in questions.  He is such a great person, so the whole video is great, but at the end someones asks about Season 8.  I think he feels that Richard's relationship with Lorelai still needs more time.  He says he would love to do another season and that Lauren is willing to do another season.  He says he hasn't really talked to Alexis about a Season 8, but he doesn't know if she really wants to be an actress anymore.  Well I'm not going to tell you the whole thing, so watch it...very important!

We need Lauren to realize that she needs to do the show without Alexis, if we know for sure Alexis doesn't want to do it anymore.  Yes, the main part of the show is Lorelai and Rory.  However, it started really with Lorelai and her parents.  Also, throughout these seven years, other characters on the show have become more 3 dimensional and can carry the show as well, and Lauren wouldn't have to work so many hours.  Lauren needs to see that closure for Lorelai is more important than having both girls on the show.  If they can get Alexis to agree to a shorter contract, even 10 episodes would be ideal, I think that the show could really work that way.  Rory will have a fulfilling ending, but we don't want Lorelai left in the dust.  The show must go on!  ...so why are you still reading my comments...you are supposed to be watching the video! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:50:35 pm by gilmoregirlforever » Logged

"I saw this guy in front of me, who was a real man...he was solid and he was strong...he would protect me, but he...he got me." ~ Lorelai
ShutUpRob
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 98

Unlike Rune, I <3 Tall Irish Innkeepers.

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 20, 2007, 11:52:54 am »

- Who's leaking the 'Alexis is holding up season 8' information?  Is it a leak to try and pressure her to sign ... or is it common knowledge that everyone else is willing to move forward?  Will holding out on season 8 hurt her career in the short-term?  Long-term?  Do we think she already has something else lined up and that's why she's so willing to jump ship?

- How much do we believe that Lauren wants to do season 8?  Food for thought ... pretend Lauren doesn't want to do season 8, but also doesn't want to upset fans in the process.  If she knows Alexis is definitely against another season, all Lauren has to say is that she won't do season 8 without Alexis and then Lauren comes off looking squeaky clean.  Remember, the entertainment industry is a business.  Or, is Lauren genuinely interested in doing another season, but is using the 'I won't move on without Alexis' as a tactic to negotiate?  Again, remember this is a business.

I think these questions are interrelated, so I'll give it a shot.  The rumor about Alexis holding up s8 was more or less verified by both Ausiello and Kristin Veitch at various times -- MA going so far as to state outright that Lauren is more "amenable" to renewing her contract than Alexis is.  But Lauren's still got what I call her "unity vow" in play from her interview with Ausiello last fall, in which she said she isn't interested in doing the show without Alexis.  (Lauren's view strongly confirms my personal opinion that the show is about Lorelai and Rory, NOT Lorelai and Luke, BID.)  That's a fairly stickey wicket to have to deal with even when the network and studio have obviously started making concessions to try to persuade Lauren to stay with the show next season such as the producer credit (which reportedly will go up to Executive Producer status should next season go.)

Furthermore, if Lauren and/or Alexis were absolutely, for sure, not going to sign on for s8, I think they would have issued a joint official statement with the network a *long* time ago (January at the *latest* would have been the most proper time time to do so) in order to give both the writing staff a decent lead time in order to write a proper series finale and to get the viewers far more adjusted to the show ending this season.  But they haven't.  And Alexis, being the reported sticking point, is suffering in reputation for it.  So my theory is that Alexis is quite possibly open -- at least minimally -- to reconsidering coming back, that's the only reason I think that she would be willing to risk even the appearance of burning bridges in Hollywood this way. 

Now, the simplest, most reasonable explanation, barring the presence of other factors, for an actor being firm in not coming back to her hit series would be twofold:  1) she's done with the show and 2) determined to make the jump into movies.  I myself was originally working under that twofold assumption and I think that most viewers and fans of Gg have also been working under these assumptions and have been thinking less of Bledel for it.  Moreover, while the first factor (Alexis is done with the show) seems to be true according to certain reports I find credible, but the second (that she wants to jump into movies) does NOT seem to be true.  Reports have it that Alexis is burnt out on showbiz in general and wants to take a long vacation from the whole thing.  In that context, I'm reconsidering my original perceptions of Alexis's motivations and can now hardly blame her for wanting to not do the show.

So we're left with Lauren and her conflicting interests.  First, she seems to want to continue to do the show, yes, I think the lack of official announcement means that it's quite possible, even *likely,* that she's using the unity vow as a negotiating tactic -- which IMO is why the talks are ongoing.  There seems to be some sort of agreement in principal that Lauren will remain at the bargaining table -- perhaps to give the show/studio/network (I'll refer to it as the network or the CW from here on out for simplicity's sake) more time to try to persuade Alexis to change her mind to *some* extent, with some sort of minimal committment or, more likely, to try to persuade Lauren to continue to do the show without Alexis, regardless of her unity vow from last September.  In both scenarios, the network doesn't seem to be the problem and everyone else involved is reportedly signed up for (but scrambling for "second position" committments to "CYA").  The problem is convincing Lauren that the show is worth doing *without* Alexis (for the creative reasons, the money, production deal and other inducements that they're offering) for at the very least one more year.

In that context, any campaign that we do seems to be something of the equivalent of a bank shot in the game of pool.  Metaphorically speaking, the issue isn't straightforward, it's a multi-ball set-up that must be approached from a difficult angle -- and that's not something that a campaign is naturally set up to do.  But there's a bright side, a bright side that the letter-writing campaign IMO can still help with, but needs a *lot* of explaining.

The show is still clearly popular enough to come back, but it absolutely MUST retain Lauren in order to do so.  Moreover, the direction of the story this season clearly indicates that it can go with or without Alexis, dealing with the continuation of Lorelai's "empty nest syndrome" storyline that has been growing over the past couple of episodes (particularly GGO) and will clearly be continuing over the course of the rest of what would be season 8.  Also clearly, a Rory-less or Rory-lite s8 would mandate continuing with this storyline -- and thus, s8 would *still* be about Lorelai and Rory, whether Rory is on the show or not.  Simply put, such a storyline would have a *lot* of creative potential, specifically toward continuing the show's overall premise.

And then there's the mere subplot of Lor and Luke's romance, which absolutely *must* end in a stronger, more upbeat place than it seems to be headed with the tentative reconciliation that they seem to be headed for at the end of this season.  That's no different in any way, shape or form from ending the season on a cliffhanger.  When Invasion and John Doe (and even Fast Lane) ended on unresolved cliffhangers, it destroyed the creative integrity of those shows -- and those were only first-year shows.  Longer-lasting shows have also ended on unresolved cliffhangers -- shows like Caroline in the City, which occasionally guest-starred Lauren.  To do so with a hit series in its seventh season would IMO reduce Gg from a classic to a near-miss.  Especially after the past two controversial seasons -- which I loved but nevertheless have provoked a lot of argument among critics and viewers alike.  The reconciliation of Lor and Luke and the further development of the already ongoing storyline of their extended, always expanding family (both blood relatives like April and surrogate children like Lane, Paris and Kirk) would still inherently inform the overall premise of the show being about Lorelai and Rory growing up, Coming of Age and learning to lead their lives separate from each other.  And would, moreover, make a great season-long epilogue to the series, if it absolutely *has* to end at the end of next season.  The show doesn't need Rory to be physically present to continue that storyline if Alexis doesn't want to be there.

So the question remains -- why are negotiations still going?  Yes, the CW is desperate to keep its #2-rated scripted show, especially since its ratings are so high and Veronica Mars is so clearly doomed (and because there will likely be other ginormous holes in the CW's schedule). 

The network seems to think that it can persuade Lauren to stay whether or not Alexis changes her mind -- moreover, it *needs* at least Lauren to change her mind.  Maybe they're convinced that Alexis won't change her mind.  So it may be that we don't hear any word either way until the upfronts, which will just become more and more frustrating for viewers over the course of the next two months as the final two episodes of the season are filmed and the final five episodes of the season start to air. 

If, as reports go, Alexis is done with the show and they've accepted that Alexis is done with the show (no harm, no foul if she's truly burnt out on the entirety of showbiz and is going to take an extended vacation from in from which she may never return), then they're nevertheless *still* hanging Alexis out to dry with even the *appearance* of making her the sticking point.  Even the existence of Lauren's unity vow *still* makes Alexis look like the sticking point as -- well, no Alexis, then no Lauren, then, no show.  That's not a fair burden to hang on Alexis at this point, IMO, but persuading her to help keep the show going even without her is.  I'm willing to understand and accept the absence of Alexis, but speaking as a fan of the show, I would hope that she would be willing to help to keep the show on the air, even with her absence, long enough to give us a better, more unified whole than the show seems to be headed at the end of the season, so there are several questions to consider:

1) Could Alexis be persuaded to "release" Lauren from that fershlugginer unity vow ("if she goes, I go")? 

2) If so, could Alexis be persuaded to ask, as a favor to the viewers and the rest of the cast, to persuade Lauren to take the best offer she thinks the network can give her and stay with the show, thus saving the hundred or so jobs of the rest of the cast and crew for at least one more year?

3) If so, could Alexis be persuaded to come back to the show for occasional guest appearances at appropriate moments -- births, deaths, common-law marriages, bat mitzvahs, etc.-- or most importantly, whatever final four-or-five episode arc to close out the show, whenever it would happen, perhaps even during a season 9 or 10 or 11 whatever?

These are the bank shots that I think a letter writing campaign to keep Rory on the show could help to answer, however indirectly.  Or maybe the attempt to encourage Alexis to fulfill these questions could become a stated, official purpose of my idea to send in newspaper logos stapled to our letters to save the show.  I mean, if we and/or the network could get Alexis to come on board with the idea to persuade Lauren that the show to go on without her (Alexis), for even a season, then perhaps that would get Lauren to so deeply reconsider her unity vow (since Alexis would essentially be releasing her from it) that she would agree to come back.

But like I said, I don't know if it would be possible for a letter-writing campaign to accomplish these specific goals, to get positive answers from Alexis to these questions -- a letter writing campaign may just be too blunt an instrument with which to finesse these kinds of questions.  But there's still every reason to send these letters and to do a banner of "Will you still be our Lorelai Gilmore(s) for at least one more year?"  The (s) cheerfully and nonjudgmentally implying "with or without Alexis."

Perhaps the debate here and on TVG at the Gg vs. VM thread are the best places to finesse this level of the debate regarding Lauren and Alexis.  The ideal would be for both actresses to remain on the show, but short of that, I would certainly hope that there are lurkers here from the show or from the network that would pass this message and any follow-ups onto Lauren and Alexis as soon as possible to discuss the issue and convince Lauren that at the very least Lorelai's storyline needs much more time to finish, that *we* need at the very least one more season for Lorelai's storyline to finish, even if Rory's storyline has finished a year or more earlier than Lorelai's.

So, I hope that my response has contributed to answering Heidi's questions.

-- Rob

----------------------
Season 8:  Because Lorelai is such a mass of mysteries and contradictions and hilarity and empathy and sexiness that we need to have at least one more year of her.  Let's hear it for TV Guide's Sexiest Mom of 2007 -- and hopefully, beyond!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:26:15 pm by ShutUpRob » Logged
gilmoregirlforever
Town Resident

Community Points: 6

Bring the blue hat back!

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 20, 2007, 12:13:50 pm »

ShutUpRob I agree.  I would type more about how I agree, but my eyes are watering from staring at the screen reading that long post. Smiley  I will say that I agree with the point that even if Rory isn't there, the story will still revolve around her not being there.  She will still be part of it. 

I think, if Alexis is for sure leaving, we need to get her to realize that the show must go on, and that she needs to talk with Lauren and explain that she would not be hurt if Lauren continued to do the show.

Lauren needs to see that another season is important because:
- The Luke/Lorelai relationship needs more time and needs a better ending then what we assume will be the ending, if it ends this season.  Scott Patterson will more than able to pick up the slack of a Rory-lite season.

- A stronger closer relationship with Emily and Richard.  There is so much potential there.  There is much more for them to get into fights about and then have a fulfilling ending.  So much more to be resolved.  The Emily/Lorelai dynamic in this show is maybe the best relationship on television.

- I think it would be nice to have Lorelai become close with April, because after Luke and Lorelai become friends/eventually more, Luke will be hopefully more open to Lorelai being close with April.  April is going to need a woman in Stars Hollow to help her with things.  Also Anna is being a real mean so-and-so to Luke and I think that could be a really good dynamic for a mini plotline, Anna vs Lorelai, Lorelai finally getting involved with that whole situation.

Also: 
- Always more town stuff to include, I want one more Firelight Festival!
- Hep Alien needs to come back...Gwen Stefani is on the road with her kid, why can't Lane and Zack be.
- Sookie and/or Jackson could write a cookbook and get recognition that way
- etc etc etc

"I saw this guy in front of me, who was a real man...he was solid and he was strong...he would protect me, but he...he got me." ~ Lorelai
LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 20, 2007, 01:13:17 pm »

I also agree with ShutUpRob.  Very nicely put.  I definately think the show could continue and be great with or without Alexis.  I also agree with gilmoregirlforever that Scott Patterson could fill the gap of not having Rory on.  There would be so many storylines just with Lorelai.  I enjoy scenes between Lorelai and April, i wouldn't mind seeing them develop a Lorelai/Rory-type relationship.  It almost seems like the writers are setting up the show for next season to have either a Roryless season or a very Rory-lite season.  Rory could always be working at a newspaper in, lets say, Seattle.  Only coming back to the Hollow for weddings and such.  I think the CW needs Gilmore Girls to come back as much as the fans do!  I think they will work a lot with Lauren to get her to sign on for a season 8, starting with the producer credit.  We shall see...
WeezerNerd182
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 20, 2007, 01:27:05 pm »

Please GG do another season. PLEASE :-)
CathyCoffee
Diner Regular

Community Points: 169

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 20, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »

Hey guys...

You need to watch this -->  http://cw11.trb.com/entertainment/network/gilmoregirls/stv-gilmoregirls-pkgmedia,0,6458734.special

It is a video of an interview with Ed Herrmann, where viewers sent in questions.  He is such a great person, so the whole video is great, but at the end someones asks about Season 8.  I think he feels that Richard's relationship with Lorelai still needs more time.  He says he would love to do another season and that Lauren is willing to do another season.  He says he hasn't really talked to Alexis about a Season 8, but he doesn't know if she really wants to be an actress anymore.  Well I'm not going to tell you the whole thing, so watch it...very important!

I thought Ed was great in that!

I agree that we need to convince Lauren do do another one.

I would also looove to see a resolution between Lor and Richard.

love is blind so you didn't see me.
LoveMeSomeGG
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:49 pm »

I just watched the Ed Herrmann video.  Hes great!  It was interesting to hear what he said about Alexis.  Perhaps thats why she doesn't want to continue on the show, she doesn't enjoy acting.  If thats the case hopefully Lauren understands how important it is to give the show a proper ending and will sign up with or without Alexis.  As far as i've heard, everyone else is more than willing to do an eighth season. 
aryan2003
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 21

--> Aryan . The . Apprentice <-- in omnia paratus

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 20, 2007, 03:08:44 pm »

when do we find out??? toay is the 18th, on day after!!

We could find out anytime between now and May 17th.

~Heidi

oh. Thanks. I how its all over the headlines the hopefully great news!

"It's like once your president, your president for life... Unless you get assassinated"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 --. it
ObessedwithGG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 16

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: March 20, 2007, 04:29:08 pm »

Here's another thought I saw brought up somewhere else: How happy is the studio that all of these leaks are out?  The reasoning behind this thought was that they are getting a ton of attention as a result.  And to go one step further, how much of it are they purposely leaking in order to gain attention? 

Just one of those fleeting thoughts I saw Smiley

That was something I was thinking about the other day...are they stalling and leaking information only to gain the attention that it is obviously giving the show?  There are so many rumors going around it is tough to believe what are true and what aren't.  I'm hoping that a season 8 is just around the corner...

Keep 'em crossed!

LUKE: You knew what I was doing!
LORELAI: Well, no, not officially.
LUKE: Not officially? Oh, come on. I mean, I didn't have a ref present, but other than that.
LORELAI: Well, you didn't say anything official.
conradv
Diner Owner

Community Points: 318

"I'll do the Chicken Dance on my Lunch Break."

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 20, 2007, 04:32:02 pm »

That's pretty much what I've been thinking from the start.  The CW is not a Ratings Giant.

How much exposure have they gotten through this whole Season 8 discussion?

A heck of a lot more than they would have if they would have just said "oh yeah, we'll have a season 8" at the beginning of the season.

At least that's what I HOPE is going on....   Smiley

(Thanks Melissa for the sig)
LoganNRory4ever
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

My best friend and I on my 21st birthday!

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 20, 2007, 04:56:30 pm »

That's pretty much what I've been thinking from the start. The CW is not a Ratings Giant.
A heck of a lot more than they would have if they would have just said "oh yeah, we'll have a season 8" at the beginning of the season.
At least that's what I HOPE is going on.... Smiley

I agree... the CW hasnt done very well since it emerged. Look at Runaway.. their breakaway hit,.... it was cancelled as soon as I began to gain interest. I feel as though this might not be so dramatic if it was still the WB.

:::Ashley Rohlfing:::
www.myspace.com/great8mandatesavegg
Richard: I need you to focus!
Lorelai: I'm a camera!!

"In Omnia Paratus!!!"

conradv
Diner Owner

Community Points: 318

"I'll do the Chicken Dance on my Lunch Break."

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 20, 2007, 04:59:47 pm »

That's pretty much what I've been thinking from the start. The CW is not a Ratings Giant.
At least that's what I HOPE is going on.... Smiley

I agree... the CW hasnt done very well since it emerged. Look at Runaway.. their breakaway hit,.... it was cancelled as soon as I began to gain interest. I feel as though this might not be so dramatic if it was still the WB.

But that's just me wishful thinking too.  We really don't know what's going on.  More letters & emails are our only option.

(Thanks Melissa for the sig)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 463 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: