GilmoreGirls.org Forum
May 23, 2019, 02:58:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: MBTI types of the characters  (Read 32278 times)
ella
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 10:14:57 am »

I love personality typing--I was really addicted to it when I first read about MTBI types.  I pretty much always score as INFP (hence my excessively long posts when I post here; INFPs usually love writing.)

Lorelai--definitely ENFP
Rory--probably INTP (or J?  She's supposed to be very organized.) 
Christopher--ESFP
Luke--classic ISTJ
Logan--ESTP (maybe F?)
Richard--ESTJ
Emily--ISTJ?
Sookie--ESFP

I just realized, I think this show does a really good job balancing out all the character types.  On some TV shows I've seen, practically every character is one of the four most common character types.
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 10:51:40 am »

Thanks for the reply, Ella!

Rory--probably INTP (or J?  She's supposed to be very organized.)

I wonder if she is truly organized or just relatively more organized than Lorelai, which may not be that high a bar. Smiley  Also, INTJ can be very determined and anti-social and I just don't see that from Rory.  I'm INTJ myself btw. Wink

Luke--classic ISTJ

Do you feel that he has always been so?  In the earlier seasons I felt he was really much more INFJ.

Richard--ESTJ
Emily--ISTJ?

I thought Richard might be an E because he is more studious, likes reading all the time and usually is not out trying to change the world.  Emily on the other hand seems to be out doing things with the DAR, charities and busying herself in others' lives, which seems E.

By the way, I suspect that Rory's two "bohemian" friends are both ISFP.
ella
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »

I haven't seen all the earlier seasons of the show so I don't know how different Luke was back then.  But I don't think he would ever be an N just because he seems like an earthy type of person--doing things with his hands, not into ideas, literature, music or anything like that.  Besides which, all these things from the ISTJ description seems to fit him very well:

ISTJs are quiet and reserved individuals who are interested in security and peaceful living. They have a strongly-felt internal sense of duty, which lends them a serious air and the motivation to follow through on tasks. Organized and methodical in their approach, they can generally succeed at any task which they undertake.

ISTJs are very loyal, faithful, and dependable. They place great importance on honesty and integrity. They are "good citizens" who can be depended on to do the right thing for their families and communities. While they generally take things very seriously, they also usually have an offbeat sense of humor and can be a lot of fun - especially at family or work-related gatherings.

The ISTJ is extremely dependable on following through with things which he or she has promised. For this reason, they sometimes get more and more work piled on them. Because the ISTJ has such a strong sense of duty, they may have a difficult time saying "no" when they are given more work than they can reasonably handle. For this reason, the ISTJ often works long hours, and may be unwittingly taken advantage of.

The ISTJ is extremely faithful and loyal. Traditional and family-minded, they will put forth great amounts of effort at making their homes and families running smoothly. They are responsible parents, taking their parenting roles seriously. They are usually good and generous providers to their families. They care deeply about those close to them, although they usually are not comfortable with expressing their love. The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words.

As for Rory's friends, I think Lucy is portrayed as a lot more extraverted than the other girl (don't remember her name).  Lucy can be quite a chatterbox.
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:30 am »

Thanks, Ella.

I hear you, but in the early days Luke could seem quite intuitive.  Of course maybe we just didn't know him so well then...  if you see the earlier seasons let us know what you think!

You could certainly be right about the bohemian girls.  One thing I would like to note though is that being a chatterbox doesn't necessarily indicate E.  An I person can actually talk quite a lot if conditions are right, i.e. in a very small group or one-on-one.  In fact they may talk more than an E in those situations since they have more things suppressed from other situations.
Southern Lorelai
Diner Owner

Community Points: 77

Hi! I'm Ashlee, and I'm from Louisiana... I'm 21.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

Lots of kudos and pretty sticks to whoever created this thread! I love it!

Logan: Thank you for being who I want to get out of hospital for.
I love Amber, Brenda, and Dayna!
I only like coffee with my oxygen.
Coofie
Town Resident

Community Points: 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 12:31:56 pm »

I scored  INTP like Rory yay

Luke and Lorelai for ever

Southern Lorelai
Diner Owner

Community Points: 77

Hi! I'm Ashlee, and I'm from Louisiana... I'm 21.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 12:54:09 pm »

I would think that Rory would be J -- she's so orderly.

Logan: Thank you for being who I want to get out of hospital for.
I love Amber, Brenda, and Dayna!
I only like coffee with my oxygen.
gilmoreren
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 36

Fairtrade Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 01:09:12 pm »

I'm an  INFJ - don't think i match any major GG characters - but we are the rarest MBTI types!

--
I'm a C19 girl

Gilmoreren an aunty soon...
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 11:31:12 am »

Now that we are kind of settling on which types the characters are, let's see if we can take the next step and apply the findings.

It appears that Luke and Lorelai are an ENFP-ISTJ couple.  Since they don't share a single letter, being opposite in every single category, does this bode well for their relationship?  Here's one analysis of ENFP with ISTJ:

In problem solving, ISTJ will want a clear idea of the problem (I) and attack it by looking for the facts (S) and by relying on a logical, impersonal (T), step-by-step approach in reaching conclusions. In contrast, ENFP will throw out all sorts of possibilities (N), seeking feedback from the environment to clarify the problem (E). Brainstorming (NP) will be enjoyed. The human aspects of the problem (F) are likely to be emphasized over impersonal, technical issues (T). To the ISTJ, the ENFP approach is likely to seem irrational or scattered. To the ENFP, the ISTJ approach is likely to seem slow and unimaginative.

(From http://chiron.valdosta.edu/whuitt/papers/prbsmbti.html)

Also, what about Rory and her hoped-for career as a reporter?  One usually thinks of reporters as people interested in going out into the world, enjoying talking to lots and lots of people to get the story.  But we have classified her as an Introverted I.  Is it possible that becoming a reporter would be going against the grain for her and that writing as a columnist or analyst might be a more natural fit?
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 03:49:13 pm »

I hate to see this thread fall back so many pages.  My problem is, everytime I think I've hit on Rory's MBTI type, there's always a roadblock.  I'd say INTP fits her best, but it's not exact.  But, who says people can't have some traits outside of their main type?  She might have a little bit of J in being organized (all those lists) but not enough to be classified as an INTJ fully.  And, to me, Rory being a reporter has been one of the least convincing aspects of her character. So, I don't think her personality matches her job.

Now, for relationships. This is all from http://www.typelogic.com  Interesting, if Rory is an INTP and Lorelai is an ENFP, then they share a tribesman relationship:  share a sense of culture, but with different interests and abilities.  You could say they share a sense of culture.  Pop culture, the culture of Stars Hollow, etc.  And, they have different interests and abilities, even though their interests also overlap.  And, tribesmen would be family, too.

Logan is also hard to pin down.  I could easily put him in ESFP, ENTP, or ESTP, and none of them fit fully. 

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 04:12:50 pm »

Thanks, Dani. Nice to feel I'm not just talking to myself. Smiley

Yes, I agree Rory is hard to figure out.  I put it down to different writers seeing different aspects. Also, though important, Rory isn't really the main character -- Lorelai is.  So if they need a story to throw Lorelai into a new direction, it sometimes happens that Rory is compromised a bit.

Actually it's too bad that they haven't defined Rory better over the years.  If they had, maybe she could be the center of a spinoff show.  But I don't see that being possible as things are at this point.

The tribal thing makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks for contributing it!

Logan seems like a fun-loving ESFP to me who is currently trying to buckle down, but probably backsliding fast (i.e. Vegas).

As to ENFP-INTP relations, the socionics.com site might also be interesting here:

Illusionary relations between psychological ("personality") types

These are relations of growing laziness. There are no other intertype relations that can deactivate partners so much as Illusionary relations. Illusionary partners find it comfortable being relaxed together, discussing different subjects. What one partner is talking about is always interesting, but in order to understand the partner better the other partner needs to force themselves. This difficulty in making an effort also makes achieving goals together almost impossible.

Mutual business or other activity is complicated, because Illusionary partners do not understand the reasons and motives of each other's actions. Whatever one partner tries to achieve usually appears insufficient and worthless to the other. Because partners expect different kinds of activity from each other, they become negative and may criticise each other's intentions and objectives. For an observer, this misunderstanding between partners can appear to be humorous.

The introvert partner usually tries to free themselves from the attempts of the extrovert partner to impose their opinions. The introverts seek independence. The extrovert partner wants to make their introvert partner into what they consider to be a "normal person". Both partners are distrustful of each other abilities.

Disagreements in these relations are usually short because partners are drawn to each other. From time to time Illusionary relations become really warm and caring. It normally happens when partners work together but not on the same task. Partners may feel inspired with the result of a successfully finished project, however when they try to start a new project, they again meet the same difficulties in co-operation.

tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 03:34:45 pm »

On last night's episode, when Luke realized why Zach was peppering him with so many questions/concerns about fatherhood, I thought that for a moment Luke was once again an INFJ using his iNtuition and Feelings to understand Zach, something which Luke used to do all the time in seasons 1-5, but has not done much at all in the last season and a half.
kamakazedeer
Diner Owner

Community Points: 71

Emily Gilmore Life Ruiner- she ruins peoples lives

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 08:28:32 am »

What about when Luke came ot the hospital for Lorelai, a couple of episodes ago...that action could be deemed one of an INFJ (helping people in distress). Or even to an extent when he punched Christopher (both times), he was I guess getting some kind of revenge. What would you say April is? It would be interesting to see how their relationship works, because it is a very strange one. I wonder if April to an extent is affecting his personality, because he seems different with her than with other characters. Or maybe Luke's story arc does involve a personality change from grumpy hermit to overall nice cheery guy.

On another note, I read through this thread and find it quite interesting. Its clued me in a little to why I like certain characters or relate to certain characters more. I am an ESFP and now it makes perfect sense to me why I was such a big Christopher fan (sorry people) because I related to him more than anyone else. Just one point to make about the ESFPs in this show...why are they portrayed in such a negative light? Christopher is the bad guy and Logan to an extent has been in past episodes, and his partying is always shown as something bad. I just don't understand what's wrong with that? It is possible to have an ESFP be just a fun loving good person!! I also read somewhere that ESFPs will insult someone because they get extremely offended, and then turn around and apologize lavishly to make up to them...classic Logan move...and I love it!

tyger
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:33 am »

I agree, that those too could be the actions of an INFJ, though also SJs are very good in this kind of crisis too because of their innate desire to be providers.

Yes, the fights with Christopher could be NF behavior because NFs tend to be quite zealous.  Many missionaries have probably been NFs.

I would think that, nerdy as she is, April is probably an NT (as am I by the way) Rational, the scientist type.  I'm not quite sure what her other two letters would be yet.

I suppose the writers would have us feel that Luke is different now because he has finally solved his crises over April -- has overcome his stress, but the idea that April has made him a more well-rounded person is definitely an interesting one.

I agree with you about ESFPs -- very fun people.  For example, it's practically impossible to have a good party without one.  xSFP types are also very generous and Christopher has also demonstrated this.  In real life I suspect that most actors are ESFPs, including on this show.  I would not be bothered at all by a Lorelai-Christopher outcome as it seems to me they had a good foundation and his leaving was rather too abrupt for me to buy.  But I guess a TV show thrives on conflict and problems in order to give the characters an emotional workout so ESFP characters tend to come in to trigger it.  *Sigh* once again it's the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper, isn't it?  When is a show going to give us the Grasshopper's point of view?  (Well probably some do but I'm just not thinking of them right now.)

Thanks so much for joining the conversation with this interesting post!

P.S.  After watching Tuesday's show, seems like Mia is likely to be an NF type, like Lorelai, which might help explain why the two got along so well, and another reason why she's not so popular with Emily.
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 12:16:35 pm »

My gosh, how am I only just learning of this?!

I hate personality typing and I hate being typefied. Naturally, since I'm an INFP, and I have paranoid delusions about people being watched and sorted on a global scale. I don't want to get off on a rant...Smiley Apparently I'm kind of a borderline case, the person Luke and Jess would have been if they'd avoided human contact and based their worldview only on the emotional responses and rants they usually just heard inside their own heads.

That's kind of interesting how a highly responsive ENFP can draw the perceptions of an INFP to the outside world (making him an INFJ.) Until now, I never realized how much I was relying on my own "Lorelai Gilmore" to avoid withdrawing from stressful events in my life.

This is a great idea, tyger, I wish I had thought of it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: