GilmoreGirls.org Forum
October 26, 2021, 11:43:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 177
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Thread - Cause it's still sexy!  (Read 781967 times)
Lorein_ARG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 52

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2005, 02:13:43 pm »

I quoted this from Curry
"Da Vinci Code", I liked it, I read it in a day, it is really interesting, but I don´t think it is such a good piece of literature.
Thank you for typing this. People keep telling me how well written it is and I always want to bite into my thumb when I hear that.

You're welcome! You can quote that whenever you want  Wink
I read that book just because it was there, and I wanted to see why people were so obsessed with that book. I also study history so I found that it was good history became massive because a book like that, as long as people don´t think Dan Brown is a good historian.
Well, it was a good thriller. And I'm secretly jealous of him, "how to write a book and retire yourself after that"... or better... "how to make a lot of money with only a book (or two)". I want that recipe!

Did the Gilmores ever make references to that book?

Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.
Lorein_ARG

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2005, 05:01:44 pm »

hey, another question
I've just rewatched "Always a godmother..." and when the priest interviews Rory and Lorelai about their religious values, Rory points that she read "The lion and the wardrobe"... and i wondered: how is it related to religion?

Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.
kaylarox
Diner Regular

Community Points: 7

Rory is one of my favorite characters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2005, 05:22:04 pm »

Please don't double post, and I don't know your answer. I've never read the book The Lion,The Witch,and the Wardrobe.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:23:41 pm by kaylarox » Logged

Lorein_ARG

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2005, 08:54:42 pm »

Sorry! Thought that, as there were 4 days between the posts it didn't count as double post!
Next time i'll edit the previous

Kukalaka
Inn Owner

Community Points: 349

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2005, 10:34:49 am »

I think, to double post after 4 days is okay.

I didn't get any books either. But it is okay, because I won't have time to read till summer. But I really look forward to read my books that are still waiting.

~ Foodie ~ Teacher's Pet ~
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
leebeasy
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2005, 11:15:40 am »

I got "The Queen and I" by Sue Townsend. It was good read, set in the early 90s and is a fictional tale when the British Royal family was over thrown and forced to live on an estate. It was a funny read but the ending bugged me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:17:57 am by leebeasy » Logged

beckilina
Town Resident

Community Points: 26

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 30, 2005, 11:31:37 am »

hey, another question
I've just rewatched "Always a godmother..." and when the priest interviews Rory and Lorelai about their religious values, Rory points that she read "The lion and the wardrobe"... and i wondered: how is it related to religion?

The lion, the witch and the wardrobe is said to be religious because C.S. Lewis was a Christian and Aslan the lion is like God who watches over everyone whereas the animals and other things are like us. I don't know to much about it though.

Java Junkie
CaptainClawdy
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2005, 01:52:51 pm »

I read the Da Vinci code recently, it was alright, good story but not exactly well written. I'm reading Hunter S Thompson's The Rum Diary at the moment, it's good, but i'm so used to his gonzo stuff like Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, i can't help but think that this actually happened to him, when it's actually a novel.  :Smiley

Magster
Town Resident

Community Points: 19

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 30, 2005, 04:12:52 pm »

I'm not allowed to read The DaVinci Code for another two years. Believe me, I'm bummed.

Has anyone here read My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult?

Lorelai: Ethics?
Rory: Highly subjective and completely overrated.
Lorelai: That's my girl!

Java Junkie ~ Literati ~ SAEMCftSoR
Amanda
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 49

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2005, 04:33:42 pm »

hey, another question

I don't really know a lot about it either, but some of the motifs and themes are explained here.

~Amanda~
~JJ~Teacher's Pet~SA~Noddie~

Sexy-it's sexy squash

Spree!
Laaaura
Town Resident

Community Points: 50

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2005, 05:22:31 pm »

I'm not allowed to read The DaVinci Code for another two years. Believe me, I'm bummed.

Why, who's not allowing you to read it? Your parents? It's a really great book.

For Christmas I got a book about Sweden (I'm studying abroad there in the Spring!) and the book Wicked, that the musical with the same title was based on.

The most recent book that I read was The Kite Runner. I read it for my English class. It was a very good book. I was surprised, as books you're required to read for school normally aren't all that interesting. But I got really into this book. It was really good.

Amanda
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 49

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2005, 05:43:57 pm »

I've been wanting to read The Kite Runner for a while now.

I just finished reading Cold Sassy Tree, it was alright.  I don't really have any strong feelings for it either way, but now I have to write a report on it  Sad.

~Amanda~
~JJ~Teacher's Pet~SA~Noddie~

Sexy-it's sexy squash

Spree!
CaptainClawdy
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2005, 02:07:37 am »

I hated writing reports on books when i was in school, i found i studyed the book so much i began to hate it. But one book i really enjoyed that i had to do an exam on was Of Mice And Men, i love that book.
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

Community Points: 349

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 31, 2005, 02:10:08 am »

I know what you mean. I also hated the books I had to read for school, because of the over-analyzing. Some of them might have been really good. I only loved one, it was a play by Alan Ayckburn. I've read it in only one day (it was quite short).

~ Foodie ~ Teacher's Pet ~
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
beckilina
Town Resident

Community Points: 26

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 31, 2005, 03:00:21 pm »

Yeah, Lord of the Flies, Shakespeare plays, and those were horrible because we read them in class and analyzed them like none other but I loved To Kill a Mockingbird....it's one of the best books that I've ever read.

Java Junkie
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 177
  Print  

Jump to: