GilmoreGirls.org Forum
June 26, 2022, 04:44:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 177
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Thread - Cause it's still sexy!  (Read 901544 times)
TheHumanCoffeePot
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 58

Full-on Poltergeist voice: I'm baaaaaack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2005, 03:44:56 am »

I read TTW over the summer because of how much everone on this thread talked about it, and I have to agree it is an awesome book.

I'm with you too Vicks, I can't read for fun anymore.  My AP English Class just got done reading A Separate Peace and now we're moving on to a Scarlet Letter, and for my book report I am reading Cold Sassy Tree, which I had never heard of, but my teacher recommended it so I thought why not.  I'm still angry that my class will probably have to skip The Catcher in the Rye because we don't have enough time, but that book is definately one of my all time favorites.

Yeah, I love The Catcher in the Rye.  The Scarlet Letter's kind of...eh...at least for me.

Cold Sassy Tree rocks!  But, whatever you do, DO NOT read the sequel.  Because it's really really bad.  Like...bad.

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
Tina
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

The Artist Formally Known as CaliforniaDreamin

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2005, 03:52:09 am »

Ack, so...since I've started high school, every freaking junior I know has read Catcher in the Rye for Englsih. Which is great, since its one of my favorites. But of course, my class? Isn't reading it. Argh.

Eh, I really didn't like the Scarlet Letter, though. But I loved To Kill A Mockingbird...I liked it better when I read it on my own in like...7th grade, not being forced to freshman year.

*Clachellina*
4CL/Gang Bang/SEAMCFtSoR/Lit Mafia

You can't take the sky from me

Reading is sexy.
TheHumanCoffeePot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2005, 03:55:17 am »

Same with me.  I'm a big reading dork and so's my mom, so I've read a lot of the classics before we get to them in school.  Example: To Kill a Mockingbird.  I'm so glad I read that way back when instead of just getting to it for English class.

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

Community Points: 349

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2005, 04:03:19 am »

I'm still reading Catcher in the Rye. But because of my thesis for ny univerity degree I have no time to finish it. And the newest Hick Hornby book also waits to be read.  Undecided

~ Foodie ~ Teacher's Pet ~
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
Michelle
Town Resident

Known in my newbie days as rorynjess4ever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 02:14:21 pm »

My AP English Class just got done reading A Separate Peace and now we're moving on to a Scarlet Letter, and for my book report I am reading Cold Sassy Tree, which I had never heard of, but my teacher recommended it so I thought why not.

Sounds like a mixture of the College Prep (average) and Honors (AP, because we don't have AP English until 12th grade. So it's called Honors.) classes. For summer CP reade A Separate Peace, and we (Honors) read Scarlet Letter.

I absolutely despised Scarlet Letter. Like, a lot. I hate Hawthorne. But, that's just me. My mom read it when she was my age and loved it. *shrugs*

Tina, how did you end up liking October Sky?

Michelle (Clachellina!)

4CL. Gang Bangers. SEAMCftSoR. Lit/JJ Mafia.

"Am I throwing you with these refrences?"
Not a chance, bitch.
Tina
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 02:21:41 pm »

I liked October Sky. It's not my favorite book, but I liked it a lot more than The Great Gatsby. (The other book I had to read this summer, for those of you who didn't hear my whining on my LJ all summer. Heh.)

Oh, I read A Separate Peace a few years ago, I really liked it. Didn't so much like doing the gigantic project on it for English, but it was a good book.

Heh. My English teacher decided that instead of making us read a ton of books really wuickly, we're only going to read a few, and watch a ton of movies during class for a bunch of the others. I'm not sure that I like that. Heh. I'm just a big nerd who'd rather read. But...I do have to say that I'm kind of glad I didn't actually have to read Moby Dick. (Though...my English class, when we aren't watching movies, might as well be an SAT prep class, honestly. And I'm in honors. Huh.)

*Clachellina*

Reading is sexy.
the4thlorelai
Town Resident

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 02:37:16 pm »

Oh, I read A Separate Peace a few years ago, I really liked it. Didn't so much like doing the gigantic project on it for English, but it was a good book.
Our class had to read that in 8th grade, and also had to do a project. But we did get to watch the movie. The movie was good, but the book was so much better.

~*Lisa*~
.:JavaJunkie:.:Literati:.:Spree:.:Noddie:.
~*Sat and forever am at work here*~
Vicks
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 02:43:20 pm »

Sounds like a mixture of the College Prep (average) and Honors (AP, because we don't have AP English until 12th grade. So it's called Honors.) classes. For summer CP reade A Separate Peace, and we (Honors) read Scarlet Letter.

I absolutely despised Scarlet Letter. Like, a lot. I hate Hawthorne. But, that's just me. My mom read it when she was my age and loved it. *shrugs*

In my school it's the same with the English Honors, 9th, 10th and 11th grade and AP 12th. However, we read "A separate Peace" for freshman honors and the Scarlett Letter for Sophomore Honors. I hated both with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

I'm with you on the Scarlett Letter Hate, Michelle.

FFF#3
B.A.D member

Patience, Grasshopper

Don't forget to vote at the GG T-shirt thread!
TheHumanCoffeePot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 02:58:36 pm »

Apparently the curriculum is almost the same here as other places.  In past years (this is all I can think of from sixth grade up), we've read Tuck Everlasting, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, James and the Giant Peach, Ella Enchanted, The Cay, A Christmas Carol, Where the Red Fern Grows (which is one of the saddest books ever), A Day No Pigs Would Die, Rocket Boys (a.k.a. October Sky), Alas Babylon, Call of the Wild, Romeo and Juliet, Fahrenheit 451, and now we're on To Kill a Mockingbird.

Whoo.  Tiresome.

beckilina
Town Resident

Community Points: 26

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 03:21:20 pm »

I LOVE To Kill A Mockingbird. It was one of te greatest books ever but then we watched the movie and it's nothing what Ithought it would be. You know when you're reading a book and the pictures runthrough your head like your watching a movie. Well, nothing in it was the same, Boo Radley looked different, Scout definetly looked different, Jem kinda the same and Atticus was nothing what I thought he would look like. I think they should to a remake for the fun of it andd try to make it better!

Java Junkie
TheHumanCoffeePot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 03:23:57 pm »

Yeah, movies based on books make me mad.  They are never as good as you want them to be.

What I hate the most is when the reprint the books with the movie pictures on the cover.  Grrr.

beckilina
Town Resident

Community Points: 26

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2005, 03:44:26 pm »

Yeah, that makes me really angry to, like I Capture the Castle, they made that into a movie with Claire Danes, that I didn't like and then changed the front of the book to a picture of Claire Danes when it was such a better cover before. I liked Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants though!

Java Junkie
Shanksta
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 01:58:42 pm »

Since people have mentioned reading Catcher and the Rye, I thought I'd ask this.

I have Catcher and the Rye, Franney and Zooey, Raise High the Roof Beam etc., and 9 Stories. I'm not sure which order to read them in, and I hear it's important because a few (maybe all, not sure) are about the Glass family and I would'nt want to read things out of place.

Anyone have an idea?
Tina
Town Resident

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2005, 04:18:21 pm »

Well, Catcher's separate, not about the Glass family.

Ah, movies from books. Most of them ruin the books, I think. I think it's just hard to really capture a good book on film, because everyone pictures the characters a certain, sees scenes a certain way...it would be hard. There a few that pull it off, sure. (I really loved the Notebook, actually. And I really love Ryan Gosling. Hee.) But then...some completely alter things, switch lines around, and only stick a very basic, threadbare, common plot with the book. (*glares* Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. So. Damn. Bad. And when the hell did werewolves get exoskeltons?)

Actually, I'm kind of scared for the Time Traveler's Wife movie, because it's such a good story, and I know they're going to ruin it, I know it. They've already cast Brad Pitt as Henry. Blah. Who wants to bet they try to get a Dakota Fanning Alba? *rolls eyes*

*Clachellina*

Reading is sexy.
Vicks
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2005, 04:42:53 pm »

Movies into Books...I think it depends. A lot.

As a general rule Movies into Books are a lot different what the readers imagine. I think it is hard to please everyone who is a fan of the books, because obviously everyone has a diferent opinion on the book. In books you imagine what the characters look like, you interpret scenes your own certain way, no one is going to think the same as you, it's impossible. That's why so many people are displeased with movies from books, they already had an idea of what it is supposeds to be like. Often directors change what they have to change. Well, sometimes.
Once a movie is made however it manipulates the reader's mind. Harry Potter for example. I didn't think any of the three main actors really fit the roles (except maybe Ron) but now when reading the books I'm having a hard time imagining someone other than them.
Lord of the rings for example, is in my opinion as close to the original books as you can get. I read all of the books and I saw all of the movies. Almost all scenes that were in the movie were in the books. They cut out some stuff from the books(Tom Bombadil, the burning of the Shire, etc) but had they included those it would have been even longer, so it was necessary, I think.

For the record I don't like most movies that were from books. There are exceptions (lotr, sottp, hp, hamlet, C+P, and a few others).

FFF#3
B.A.D member

Patience, Grasshopper

Don't forget to vote at the GG T-shirt thread!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 177
  Print  

Jump to: