Reading Thread - Cause it's still sexy!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2014, 09:24:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 113555 Members
Latest Member: CHersh

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Reading Thread - Cause it's still sexy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 177 Print
Author Topic: Reading Thread - Cause it's still sexy!  (Read 256822 times)
Lily
Town Resident

Community Points: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 05:35:05 pm »

::claps:: You are the most amazing girl, Vicki. Seriously. I admire you.

Lindsay
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 05:36:11 pm »

I haven't been able to read anything lately, college takes up a lot of time. I almost bought The Time Travelers Wife the other day though.

Forever FFF #5

Lorelai: Its like falling 600 feet to your death. You know, its fun the first 599 feet, but its just that last foot--total sucko
Tina
Town Resident

Community Points: 20

The Artist Formally Known as CaliforniaDreamin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 05:46:15 pm »

I almost bought The Time Travelers Wife the other day though.
Squee! I adore TTW. To the point of obsession. Heh. Seriously, yesterday, I found the dates/places for a book tour the author's doing, and sulked when I realized that she's not coming anywhere near me. Bah.

*Clachellina*
4CL/Gang Bang/SEAMCFtSoR/Lit Mafia

You can't take the sky from me

Reading is sexy.
Beth
Town Resident

Community Points: 35

sunshine014 back in action!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 05:49:04 pm »

Reading something for pleasure is a dream, I don't dare to dream anymore.

Not to pimp myself, but did you read the editorial I wrote on that?

Do you think my hair looks cool? 'Cause, you know, some days I wake up and I'm like, cool. Some days I'm like, could be cooler. Like today I got up and I was like, left side cool, right side not so cool.
~~~
Fox Force Five #4
Vicks
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 05:58:45 pm »

Oh wow, guys. Now i'm blushing. It's not that amazing. I have some friends that are taking 6! (Two AP sciences plus Government this semester.)
Besides, AP Spanish is slowly, but surely killing me.

Beth-I read it before! Awesome and so true!

I've always wanted to read "The Time Traveler's wife" what is it about?

FFF#3
B.A.D member

Patience, Grasshopper

Don't forget to vote at the GG T-shirt thread!
Tina
Town Resident

The Artist Formally Known as CaliforniaDreamin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2005, 06:08:20 pm »

Hmm, well, I'm bad at explaining things, but I'll try for you, Vicksin dear. Teehee.

Henry DeTamble travels through time, involuntarily. It's a like a disease, he can't control where he goes, or when he goes, and he can never take anything with him. So he tends to show up in random places, not knowing what year he's in, stark naked. He tends to travel many times to his wife, Clare's childhood, kind of intertangling his future and her past...for example, when they meet in real time, Clare has known him since he was a little girl, but none of that's happened for him yet, so he doesn't know her at all. It's basically a story about their relationship, and dealing with obstacles that come with his conditions, and it's really just beautiful.

*Clachellina*
4CL/Gang Bang/SEAMCFtSoR/Lit Mafia

You can't take the sky from me

Reading is sexy.
Claire
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

Formerly of the cbear.ca variety

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2005, 08:10:57 pm »

Hmm, well, I'm bad at explaining things, but I'll try for you, Vicksin dear. Teehee.

Henry DeTamble travels through time, involuntarily. It's a like a disease, he can't control where he goes, or when he goes, and he can never take anything with him. So he tends to show up in random places, not knowing what year he's in, stark naked. He tends to travel many times to his wife, Clare's childhood, kind of intertangling his future and her past...for example, when they meet in real time, Clare has known him since he was a little girl, but none of that's happened for him yet, so he doesn't know her at all. It's basically a story about their relationship, and dealing with obstacles that come with his conditions, and it's really just beautiful.

Great summation. I'd like to share that I was so touched by this story that every time I see it in the bookstore, I feel proud and happy. It's such a great book.

Quote from: Tina
...High Fidelity, the Chocolate War

Have you read The Chocolate War before? We read it in grade 9 and I was not too impressed. However, seeing as we read it for school, that may have had an influence on my opinion, lol. Also...High Fidelity! That's my next book to read! I loved the movie like whoa.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 08:15:01 pm by Claire » Logged

Claire |Clachellina|

Lit/4Cl/Gang Banger/Vendelis/JJ
Now I am up in arms again
Michelle
Town Resident

Known in my newbie days as rorynjess4ever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 12:25:05 pm »

I bough the sequel to The Chocolate War at a booksale in like, 5th grade. I never read it, though. I think I started it, but I wasn't like, invested in it at all.

Has anyone read 1984, before? I'm sure someone has. I finished it like, two weeks ago, and yeah.. I hated the ending. How depressing.

We just got the book "Red Badge Of Courage" to read for English. It's about war. We haven't started it yet, but.. meh. I'm not big on war stories. Undecided

Michelle (Clachellina!)

4CL. Gang Bangers. SEAMCftSoR. Lit/JJ Mafia.

"Am I throwing you with these refrences?"
Not a chance, bitch.
TheHumanCoffeePot
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 58

Full-on Poltergeist voice: I'm baaaaaack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »

1984 is one of my favorite books, but yeah, it is really depressing.  The last sentence just makes you want to rewind the book.

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

Community Points: 57

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 01:54:43 pm »

I have to read the Lord of the Ring series for a class this semester (yes, I'm serious) and I cannot sit through them. Seriously. I'm like, on page 8 of the first one. Do they get anymore interesting?

...And I thought the movies were boring.

Vicks
Town Resident

Community Points: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 02:38:39 pm »

1984 is one of my all-time favorite books. I love it. We will be reading it this year sometime, I'm excited.

Has anyone read Tess of the D'urbervilles?

Summer- The beginning of the first one, imo, is kinda boring. But it does get interesting! Until the middle of the second, that's when I stopped reading for several months. The rest of the series is good though! Oh and the end of the last is boring as well. It's because he describes way too much.

FFF#3
B.A.D member

Patience, Grasshopper

Don't forget to vote at the GG T-shirt thread!
TheHumanCoffeePot
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 58

Full-on Poltergeist voice: I'm baaaaaack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 02:54:32 pm »

Right now, for school I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which I really hate.  Not the book, because I've read it before, but I hate reading it for school.  My English teacher is way too picky...she goes in depth, makes you pick out stupid stuff like similes and metaphors.  Gah.  Makes my head hurt.

She almost managed to ruin Fahrenheit 451 for me.  But not quite.

...JavaJunkie above all else...Noddie...Foodie...Logan-Loather...closet Literati...Lauren fan...
Michelle
Town Resident

Known in my newbie days as rorynjess4ever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 04:27:40 pm »

I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird and Farenheit 451 last year. *nods*

I <3ed To Kill A Mockingbird, a lot. A lot of people in my class thought it was boring, but I really liked it. As far as Farenheit 451 goes.. meh. I think it went too fast and a lot more could've been added to the story.

Michelle (Clachellina!)

4CL. Gang Bangers. SEAMCftSoR. Lit/JJ Mafia.

"Am I throwing you with these refrences?"
Not a chance, bitch.
Amanda
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 49

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 08:30:33 pm »

I read TTW over the summer because of how much everone on this thread talked about it, and I have to agree it is an awesome book.

I'm with you too Vicks, I can't read for fun anymore.  My AP English Class just got done reading A Separate Peace and now we're moving on to a Scarlet Letter, and for my book report I am reading Cold Sassy Tree, which I had never heard of, but my teacher recommended it so I thought why not.  I'm still angry that my class will probably have to skip The Catcher in the Rye because we don't have enough time, but that book is definately one of my all time favorites.

~Amanda~
~JJ~Teacher's Pet~SA~Noddie~

Sexy-it's sexy squash

Spree!
Summer
twirling in the twilight
Diner Regular

Community Points: 57

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 09:00:35 pm »

Summer- The beginning of the first one, imo, is kinda boring. But it does get interesting! Until the middle of the second, that's when I stopped reading for several months. The rest of the series is good though! Oh and the end of the last is boring as well. It's because he describes way too much.

Soooo.... basically what I got out of that is that the beginning, middle and end of the trilogy are boring?

...Comforting.

Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 177 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: