7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 10:45:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp
475985 Posts in 1571 Topics by 109016 Members
Latest Member: KTopp

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 7
| | |-+  7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Print
Author Topic: 7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs  (Read 104172 times)
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 12, 2007, 10:39:45 pm »

Nothing else had worked either. The relationship didn't end because she demanded a marriage or slept with Christopher. She was anxious not to juggle his elbows while he was concentrating on his daughter, so she kept her mouth shut about her needs as long as she could. Even if it's what broke their relationship, I find it admirable that Lorelai put April before herself at the outset.

I still don't see why he chose separating Lorelai and April after the slumber party instead of just marrying Lorelai and getting it over with, but for some reason Liz's remark abut his "serial monogamy" springs to mind. Luke is a giver in his relationships with women. Better men than he have been daunted by the prospect of making two women happy at once!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:40:46 pm by lessa » Logged

RORY69
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 19, 2007, 09:31:11 pm »

LUKE AND LORELAI NEED TO GET MARRIED AND STAY THAT WAY 4 EVER!!!!!!!!
           AND RORY AND LOGAN ARE REALLY GOOD TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
katie_lou
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 34

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 22, 2007, 06:58:52 pm »

If I can just say one thing... GO EMILY! Seriously what she said to Lorelai at the end needed to be said. And I sided with Christopher over the lack of compromise issue. Lorelai did it with Max as well. No thought as to how they would work together as a couple, no compromise, no discussion, its "my way in my house because I said so". Yes Chris did come in a little too fast with the "let's have a child right now" thing but if they were really in love as he believes and are financially stable and want to have children eventually, there aren't a lot of reasons to not have a child. Ok maybe running the Inn, but Sookie pulled that off with 2 pregnancies.

Also Logan was justified in what he said to Olivia or is it Lucy? whichever (they both annoy me and therefore I can't be bothered to learn which is which). He was asked a direct question, he gave a direct answer. It had to come out eventually. Why should he continue the whole thing?
And Marty's passive-aggressive "I'm waiting for my trust fund to kick in" What the? He needs to get over the fact that Logan is with Rory, because Rory wasn't interested in him in the first place. And on the trust fund issue. Logan didn't ask to be born wealthy and shouldn't have to feel guilty about it, he actually does work rather than lie on a beach somewhere all day and you can't tell me that if Marty had a trust fund that he wouldn't do all the things Logan does. 
gilmore2972
Town Resident

Community Points: 3

Gilmore Girls isn't just a show, it's a life style

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2007, 02:17:33 pm »

i think chris and lorelai dont mix, so thats why they had these problems
Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2007, 02:06:22 am »

I didn't read through this whole thread because its way long.... and it's probably been said before, but...

did anyone else notice, in this conversation:

LORELAI: Wait a minute. Is this an ambush and you guys ambushing me?

EMILY: No one is ambushing you, Lorelai. The idea of your exchanging vows in front of all your family and friends isn't so outrageous.

LORELAI: Mom, the whole reason we eloped is to avoid the wedding thing.

CHRISTOPHER: Ah now thatís not the reason we eloped, we eloped because we love each other and we wanted to get married.

LORELAI: Well you know what I mean.

CHRISTOPHER: No, I don't.

If anyone else remember's it was her and Luke who were going to do the whole Elopement thing to avoid the wedding thing... back in season 6:15 Vineyard Valentine

LUKE: What about - eloping?

LORELAI: What?

LUKE: Eloping. We could do that, right? Instead of planning this whole big thing?

LORELAI [smiling]: I don't know, maybe! I guess we could. [She gasps.] But Rory has to come. Is it still eloping if Rory comes?

LUKE: Sure, why not? Let's start planning it.

LORELAI: You don't plan an elopement, you just do it!

Nicely put in by the writers, if it was intentional.

bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1266

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 05, 2007, 08:20:20 pm »

I don't know what Luke had to fight about. He had his chance with Lorelai and he blew it. If he is angry at anyone it should be himself. Christopher has something to feel angry about, however. He is married to Lorelai, he has made the commitment and he correctly suspects her heart is not fully in it.

Right on to Emily. Her speech to Lorelai at the end of the episode was perfect. She is not often a calm speaker of wisdom but she really shined in that moment.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Carrie Ann
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 8

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 06, 2007, 08:31:37 am »

I think Luke just seemed to have a lot of pent-up testosterone-fueled anger against Christopher, stemming from way back from season 1 when Lorelai blew off their painting date to have relations with Christopher on her parents' balony, plus the season 5 debacle when Emily tried to break them up at her wedding vow renewal. I think Luke felt like Christopher deserved a smackdown from way back. Plus, Luke was always father-figure with Christopher's constant absense.

I think bingbong is right-on about Emily's speech. It was thoughtful and calm, which isn't like her. However, wasn't Lorelai at the Inn late doing inventory? What the heck time is it when she gets back home and Emily is there? Seemed like after midnight or something.

Carrie
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2007, 09:52:53 am »

I know Luke and Christopher had a loooooong history of antagonism and this fight was the gladiator culmination of their rivalry. No doubt, as in "Wedding Bell Blues" from season 5, Luke had things to be pissed about. But the timing of this fight comes after the season 6 fiasco between Luke & Lorelai, for which Luke messed-up big-time. And as of this episode had not fully admited to his mistakes (that didn't come in earnest until "Hay Bale Maze"). To me, despite the long history, the fight has the feel of being the aftermath of the events in season 6. Besides, if Luke had any class he would respect the fact that Christopher and Lorelai are now married. If he had not been such a blockhead in season 6, he could have been Lorelai's husband.† By fighting Christopher it has the implication that he is trying to get in the middle of their marriage. That's how i see it.

kimono
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 04, 2008, 07:56:29 pm »

Watching my season seven on dvd again (yay!!)
The Fight between Luke and Chris in the middle of town, so awkward, so expressive, so stupid, so hilarious!
They are having it out on top of  :santa:Santa's Christmas wonderland in the middle of the night, sure, but no one notices? C'mon, all eyes are always open in Stars Hollow... pretty sure when Sookie and Jackson tried to rid themselves of the "pickles" the priest caught them! Where was Father during these Merry Fisticuffs? if anyone needs a little religion right now - it's Luke and Chris...

superstarmonkey
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 37

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:50 pm »

I have FINALLY got season 7 (Stupid uk doesnt really show it on tv and has only realed up to S.4 on dvd so I have to get rest shipped from Aus)!!! It's been a very...odd season so far (I'm only up to this eppy though). Like all the ingrediants are there it just doesn't quite make the cake...

Anyway, my thoughts on the episode. Each season 7 eppy is getting better and more Gilmore-esq. The fight was funny and incredibly weird. It seemed quite sad actually. This was no exciting testosterone-fuelled teenage fight (a la Jess and Dean season 3).  It was two nearing - middle aged guys fighting, badly, trying to vent their anger in a 'macho way' but failing pathetically. 

I agree that Logan should have not gone along with the lying to Lucy thing, but there is a time and place. And it certainly wasn't the time and it wasn't his place to tell, it was Rory's. And I feel like I have to defend Marty here. Everyone is going on about what a big jerk he is and "why can't he get over Rory coz can't he see she's with Logan". Am I the only one who feels liek the writers are deliberatly manipulating us to feel that way about him? In the two seasons we've seen him in he has been nothing but sweet, kind and a good friend to Rory. Even when he liked her and knew she probably didn't he still hung out with her a was a good friend. Now they bring him back and suddenly he's this jerky, immature guy who is STILL habouring feelings for Rory years later (a littel unrealistic methinks, as they never went out and nothing EVER happened between them) and being a bad boyfriend because of it. I just think that they have written him totally OOC compared to every single time we have seen him before.

And also. CAN NO GUYS EVER GET OVER RORY? Just once, please, one guy who no longer ahs feelings for her. She's great and pretty and all but she's not a freaking goddess.

Thanks to honkifuluvGG for the signature
bingbong
Town Selectman

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2008, 11:32:33 pm »

^ ^ Ha, i'm almost surprised Tristan didn't stroll in and beg Rory for a date.

Logan could have taken the high road and spoken to Rory in private about his feelings towards the silly deception with Marty. But that aside, i put the blame on Rory for allowing herself to get involved in the silliness, more than Logan's handling of it. If it wasn't Logan's secret to tell, then Rory should not have put him in such an awkward position and make him part of the cover-up. Marty is the one who initiated the deception but Rory went along with it. Rory expressed regret over it but she did not do anything to end it and gave no indication she would end it. As Rory's bf, it would bother Logan that this other guy, who he knows has or had feelings for Rory, is concealing a prior friendship/crush. It's a mess that involves Logan's girlfriend and now it's starting to involve him. I'm not a fan of this story line.

I agree that Marty has been altered, although not fundamentally. Underneath the surface he's still the same uncertain guy he was before; i felt like he was searching for a new image for himself through Lucy. It didn't suit him well, but he gave it a shot. The aspect of being deceptive does seem very much OOC though; i never liked Lucy or her sidekick and i will scapegoat them for having a negative effect on Marty. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:29:04 am by bingbong » Logged

katie_lou
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 34

In Omnia Paratus

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 16, 2008, 03:28:04 am »

Anyway, my thoughts on the episode. Each season 7 eppy is getting better and more Gilmore-esq. The fight was funny and incredibly weird. It seemed quite sad actually. This was no exciting testosterone-fuelled teenage fight (a la Jess and Dean season 3).  It was two nearing - middle aged guys fighting, badly, trying to vent their anger in a 'macho way' but failing pathetically. 

And also. CAN NO GUYS EVER GET OVER RORY? Just once, please, one guy who no longer ahs feelings for her. She's great and pretty and all but she's not a freaking goddess.
For the 1st part - did anyone else have Bridget Jones' Diary flashbacks? Hugh Grant and Colin Firth brawling in the street. Too grown men attempting to act tough, but degenerating into almost slap stick comedy?

For the 2nd - I liked it how in season 4, Rory asked that guy out and he said no. It was a nice, come back to earth moment. She's gorgeous and incredibly smart and funny but at least this showed that not everyone becomes infatuated with her on sight.
Gilmore Gyrlie
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2009, 07:10:25 pm »

Marty is a dumb arse, the only reason Logan BLEW HIM UP was because  of the trust fund remark.

With that said, that whole mess was stupid and Rory shouldn't have went along with it.

If Lucy and the other chick don't forgive Rory, they won't be missed by me.

The fight between Luke/Chris was loooooong overdue and funny as hell.

Chris is such a wet blanket, pouting because Lorelai was holding little Doula.

Then wanting to immediatley impregnate her that night...L0SER!
James
Town Troubadour

Community Points: -12

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2009, 01:56:01 am »

It was a great episode. I liked it very much.

Rock gives children, on a silver platter, with all the public authority of the entertainment industry, everything their parents always used to tell them they had to wait for until they grew up and would understand later.
-Allan Bloom
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:50 pm »

This was a pretty good episode though clunky at best.

Marty is a dumb ass.  In fact, why did they even bring him back in the first place?  They really did a bad job on his character and to have him return to be rejected by Rory and end up with no one again.  What a loser.

I think what he made Rory do was bad and it was Rory's fault that she went along with it.  Logan was irked by Marty's trust fund comment and when Lucy asked how he and Rory met.  Logan was just being honest.  It wasn't his fault.  It was more Rory's fault for her dishonesty though I do feel bad for her because she realized she screwed up. 

She's been born 11 days and already, Doula is doing good things around her uncle.  First, she got him to fight for April.  Then, she got him and Lorelai to reunite for a bit as they were just so glee on her.  And Christopher got jealous of Luke.  Man, he acted like a whiny little b*tch and then he threw that "Let's make a baby" thing. 

I think Lorelai is confused at this point.  She eloped to avoid the wedding thing.  I think in her head, though she isn't trying to say anything, is that she feels embarrassed that she has to marry Christopher in front of friends and people who knew her for so long and look on with disapproval.  Obviously, the townies aren't into Christopher very much.  The baby thing just put Lorelai into some kind of emotional tailspin. 

Yet, for all of Lorelai's emotional troubles and commitment issues.  What Emily Gilmore said about marriage and compromise is dead on.  Though I don't agree with Emily about it.  She is right because now that Lorelai is married.  She can't have things her way all the time and it's Christopher's opinion that matters as well whether Emily likes him or not.  It's two people that run a marriage. 

Is it me or did I hear Christopher say "Da dunna duy!"? (translation:  "That diner guy") 

Boy, he's got some issues. 

I think Luke right now, has the worst luck in the world.  I mean, let's face it.  All he's done in his life is just lose things and the people around him.  His mother died when he was a kid.  His dad died when he was going into adulthood.  His sister and nephew were both messes and he nearly lost them.  He's screwed up a couple of relationships in Rachel and Anna.  He blew a marriage with Nicole.  He also screwed up this best relationship of his life with Lorelai.  And now he's about to lose his daughter.  The lawyer told him some harsh truths and that time he beat up a car wasn't the smart thing to do.  I think all of this and the now realization that he probably did screw things up with Lorelai is just boiling down to a lot of emotional frustration.  Well, who better to take out all those frustrations from the guy who had been a threat to him since 1.15-Christopher Returns.  That's right, Christopher Hayden.  Max, Alex, and Jason were small potatoes compared to Christopher so why the hell not?  Go beat his ass Luke.

Then there's Christopher, he's now finding himself compared to a blue-collar, diner owner who had Lorelai for a couple of years.  That must be degrading. 

And now IT'S ON!!!  LET'S GET READY TO RRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

It kinda sucked.  The Jess-Dean fight had much more excitement.  Christopher can't really fight though he got a good punch and tackle on Luke.  Yet, neither of them won.

It was kinda funny but also kind of silly.  I was expecting them to just go at it to the death.  That was underwhelming. 

They stopped because Luke knows if he keeps going like this.  He's risking more of a chance to lose April while Christopher is already in shaky ground with Lorelai so they did the right thing to stop because they're both in trouble. 
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: