7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 05:56:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475981 Posts in 1571 Topics by 100472 Members
Latest Member: MTraill

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 7
| | |-+  7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 Print
Author Topic: 7.10 - Merry Fisticuffs  (Read 103518 times)
AbFab
Town Resident

Community Points: 8

AbFab Darling Ab Fab!

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 05, 2007, 12:16:16 pm »

yaa..i remember.. i wish we had gotten more of the article so we could see how mean she actually was...but yeah, rory talks about logan as if she has no connection to the rich life he leads..um...emily and richard!!

I like your pic/signature--"Don't let Chris get you down"-  Grin Cheesy

Help mummy up, sweetie, I got my foot stuck below a chakra
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 05, 2007, 12:34:24 pm »

Her connection aside, right up until she got called on her hypocrisy, she was living the life and chose to give it up to be true to herself instead of keeping it and simply resisting the urge to snark her peers. She's not a trust fund baby, she just has a trust fund. Much like Logan has it stuck in his mind that he is a child of privilege with no choice in the matter, Rory has convinced herself that she will always be an outsider to that mentality. It really isn't as black-and-white as all that, and I don't think the negative connotations that go with the term are really descriptive of either Rory or Logan.
Well, maybe Logan. But when I've seen as much of someone's life as us viewers have seen of Logan's "life," I start resisting one-word descriptions of them.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't air the whole article is because some might not have found it very mean to name-call the overprivileged. Besides, left to the imagination, the article can say whatever the beholder thinks is meanest.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:45:16 pm by lessa » Logged

Nov78
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 05, 2007, 01:24:32 pm »

Actually I thought the Rory Gilmore building did come up this season.  Didn't Logan mention it during the ep when Rory wrote the article critical of the rich people at his party?  I thought he said it to show her that she's part of that world too, even if she doesn't admit it.  Does anyone else remember this?  I think the ep was "Introducing Lorelai Planetarium."

I remember that episode but I don't remember anything in the episode but the title that referred to the building. I remember realizing that the Lorelai Planetarium title actually referred to something other than Rory's building but I may be wrong. I'll have to go back and rewatch that episode. If you have a building erected in your honor don't they usually have a ground breaking where you would be present or a grand opening where you would cut the ribbon and take a tour of your own building??? These things haven't happened yet and I was looking forward to the hilarity of it. Oh well...I just can't wait for the next episode.

I think the planetarium in the title referred to when Lorelai said she didn't want to be known as Mrs. Hayden Planetarium if she took Chris's last name (referring to the Hayden Planetarium in NYC).  I never thought about it, but I do suppose the title could have dual meaning and refer to Rory's astronomy building too.

Actually the astronomy building thing kind of bugged me last season, because I know Richard and Emily are rich, but I didn't think they were THAT rich.  I would think it would cost millions to build an entire astronomy building at Yale.  Otherwise wouldn't every rich set of parents at Yale be building buildings in their kids' names?  Are Richard and Emily supposed to be so unbelievably rich that they can afford that?  They're not Bill Gates rich, or even Huntzberger rich.  Ok, I know it's just a nit-picky point, but it still bugs me.  But I'll get over it, since it made for a funny scene when Rory was asking if the letters in the model building were to scale.

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 05, 2007, 01:38:27 pm »

They announced they were using the money they'd gotten after Emily sued they eye-laser guy, Doctor Handsome. Logan mentioned that her grandparents were building her a legacy, but I think it was worded so it wasn't built already. Besides, it's a big building. Maybe it's taking awhile, or they're saving the ribbon-cutting ceremony for a future plot.

AbFab
Town Resident

AbFab Darling Ab Fab!

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 05, 2007, 03:00:34 pm »

Actually I thought the Rory Gilmore building did come up this season.  Didn't Logan mention it during the ep when Rory wrote the article critical of the rich people at his party?  I thought he said it to show her that she's part of that world too, even if she doesn't admit it.  Does anyone else remember this?  I think the ep was "Introducing Lorelai Planetarium."

I remember that episode but I don't remember anything in the episode but the title that referred to the building. I remember realizing that the Lorelai Planetarium title actually referred to something other than Rory's building but I may be wrong. I'll have to go back and rewatch that episode. If you have a building erected in your honor don't they usually have a ground breaking where you would be present or a grand opening where you would cut the ribbon and take a tour of your own building??? These things haven't happened yet and I was looking forward to the hilarity of it. Oh well...I just can't wait for the next episode.

I think the planetarium in the title referred to when Lorelai said she didn't want to be known as Mrs. Hayden Planetarium if she took Chris's last name (referring to the Hayden Planetarium in NYC).  I never thought about it, but I do suppose the title could have dual meaning and refer to Rory's astronomy building too.

Actually the astronomy building thing kind of bugged me last season, because I know Richard and Emily are rich, but I didn't think they were THAT rich.  I would think it would cost millions to build an entire astronomy building at Yale.  Otherwise wouldn't every rich set of parents at Yale be building buildings in their kids' names?  Are Richard and Emily supposed to be so unbelievably rich that they can afford that?  They're not Bill Gates rich, or even Huntzberger rich.  Ok, I know it's just a nit-picky point, but it still bugs me.  But I'll get over it, since it made for a funny scene when Rory was asking if the letters in the model building were to scale.

Thank You! That's right, so they haven't explored the building for Rory yet.

I wonder if Rory is going to be really mad at Logan for outing her to the Tweedle for a long time. I hope she doesn't blame him for the whole situation as it's not all his fault. I don't like it when they fight b/c I like them together. I would love to see a double wedding for Rory and Lorelai with Logan and Luke!! No wait that's too soap opera-ish. I just hope Rory realizes her own fault in this and doesn't make it a big deal blaming Logan for everything.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:01:35 pm by AbFab » Logged

jayde
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 05, 2007, 04:06:14 pm »

Rory did show her discomfort at having a building in her name while she still attended Yale. Perhaps they are waiting for her to graduate before building it.
Nov78
Town Resident

Community Points: 7

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:40 pm »

They announced they were using the money they'd gotten after Emily sued they eye-laser guy, Doctor Handsome.

Oh that's right!  I'd totally forgotten about that.  Thanks for clarifying, Lessa.

I guess it would take awhile to get up to the groundbreaking, because they would first need to get plans drawn up, find a suitable spot on campus, hire contractors, etc.  So it's realistic that it's taking awhile, and we shouldn't despair that they will never show anything about it.  A groundbreaking ceremony would definitely make for a great GG event!
ggrox
Diner Regular

Community Points: 226

All we can do is keep breathing....

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 07, 2007, 08:07:51 am »

yaa..i remember.. i wish we had gotten more of the article so we could see how mean she actually was...but yeah, rory talks about logan as if she has no connection to the rich life he leads..um...emily and richard!!

I like your pic/signature--"Don't let Chris get you down"-  Grin Cheesy

thanx! MaBYUsgal made it for me....hopefully chris will be the one down soon

Thanx so much Elise Gilmore!^
Lorelai, this thing we're doing here - me, you  I just want you to know I'm in. I am all in.
vaibhavi
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

~*Queen of the Looney Bin*~

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:02 am »

WHAT IS CHRIS' PROBLEM?! doesnt he want a happy marriagE? the idiot!and i actually love the guy, always wanted them to ed up together

Girl (looking out the window): "Is it raining?"
Paris (obviously wet): "No, it's National Baptism Day. Tie your tubes, idiot!"

"oy with the poodles already!"
Southern Lorelai
Diner Owner

Community Points: 77

Hi! I'm Ashlee, and I'm from Louisiana... I'm 21.

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 12, 2007, 06:44:17 am »

It's not that I don't like Chris... it's just the fact that I don't want to see him with Lorelai. Lorelai belongs with Luke. She doesn't need someone from that kind of 'blue blood' - that's what she ran away from.

Luke is more down to earth, and that is what she needs. Not someone to buy her troubles away.

But that is just me... I wish that they would have fought more!

Logan: Thank you for being who I want to get out of hospital for.
I love Amber, Brenda, and Dayna!
I only like coffee with my oxygen.
lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 12, 2007, 11:10:23 am »

The problem being that Luke isn't ready yet. What's she supposed to do, lock herself up in a closet until he comes around?
I wonder what would happen, though, if he faced her, apologized, and asked her nicely to get a divorce so she could marry him. I guess we'd get to see how fast she is when she's really under pressure! Or hesitant, for that matter...

BTW, tvguide.com has posted the listing for the new episode airing on Jan. 23. I've pasted it into the Season Seven Assorted Previews thread, so I won't spoil it here.

khadijahnm
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:11 am »

The problem being that Luke isn't ready yet. What's she supposed to do, lock herself up in a closet until he comes around?
I wonder what would happen, though, if he faced her, apologized, and asked her nicely to get a divorce so she could marry him. I guess we'd get to see how fast she is when she's really under pressure! Or hesitant, for that matter...

I happen to disagree with you Lessa, at least partly. I don't think that either one of them WAS ready. I mean in season 6 both Luke and Lorelai made mistakes that brought the relationship down.

Luke was insistent that they had to be completely honest with each other and then keeping April's existence a secret. Then, Lorelai for some strange reason not telling Luke how she felt about the postponing of the wedding and him excluding her from getting to know April. I think that what they are each going through now, is showing them what it means to be a grownup while acting like one as well.

Since I am a JJ through and through, I hope that with these new found self-realizations both L&L will realize that the best person to have at their side (as a married couple) is each other.

Bring on the Emily & Richard fancy wedding party for Luke and Lorelai, with those SH townsfolk in tow. (just dreaming out loud right now)

AbFab
Town Resident

AbFab Darling Ab Fab!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 12, 2007, 02:54:10 pm »

Christopher seems to be like one of those puppies that just follow you everywhere and beg for attention!

lessa
Diner Chef

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 12, 2007, 03:12:16 pm »

I happen to disagree with you Lessa, at least partly. I don't think that either one of them WAS ready. I mean in season 6 both Luke and Lorelai made mistakes that brought the relationship down.

Luke was insistent that they had to be completely honest with each other and then keeping April's existence a secret. Then, Lorelai for some strange reason not telling Luke how she felt about the postponing of the wedding and him excluding her from getting to know April. I think that what they are each going through now, is showing them what it means to be a grownup while acting like one as well.
Since I am a JJ through and through, I hope that with these new found self-realizations both L&L will realize that the best person to have at their side (as a married couple) is each other.
Bring on the Emily & Richard fancy wedding party for Luke and Lorelai, with those SH townsfolk in tow. (just dreaming out loud right now)

Well, she was clearly prepared to go through with it, ready or not. Whether it was faith or arrogance that prompted her, Luke wasn't ready for it, and he said 'no.' Why should she believe that he was ever going to be ready, let alone say 'yes?' It's not like he said 'not yet' or gave any indication that he was trying to get ready.

I'm not saying the whole mess is Luke's fault or anything, I'm just laying it out as I guess Lorelai is supposed to see it: She loves Luke, enough to marry him and take care of his little Luke Jrs., but he's not an option because he wouldn't take a chance on marrying her until he got his neverending family problems sorted. What would you do in her shoes?

khadijahnm
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 12, 2007, 06:19:01 pm »

Lessa,

I think it would have been more plausible for the writers to have shown Lorelai actually telling Luke her feelings from the beginning. Maybe with her at his side, dealing with Anna would have been much easier for Luke. I think that Lorelai overreacted. Ultimatums never work.

I mean come on. She didn't go see Sookie, she didn't call Rory but instead she went to Chris?HuhHuhHuhHuh

But I think that we are discussing water already under the bridge. I just hope that the powers that be wake up and bring Lorelai back to her previous "Gilmorish" self.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: