Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 10:40:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475981 Posts in 1571 Topics by 98982 Members
Latest Member: Opisesmerohor

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Relationship Threads
| | | |-+  Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd  (Read 31416 times)
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

Community Points: 349

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 02:43:21 pm »

One of the worst moments was when Emily and Richard found out about Jason and Lorelai. The look in Emily's eyes was so cold.

~ Foodie ~ Teacher's Pet ~
Survivor of the GG Drinking Game
Lindsay
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 02:48:43 pm »

One of the worst moments was when Emily and Richard found out about Jason and Lorelai. The look in Emily's eyes was so cold.

Yeah Very cold! But I think I would be the same way. Im sure she was very hurt. I wish Lorelai would share more with her.

Forever FFF #5

Lorelai: Its like falling 600 feet to your death. You know, its fun the first 599 feet, but its just that last foot--total sucko
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 02:56:52 pm »

I will get that look from my mom when she finds out that I have a mobile phone. Wink Sometimes their relationship is a bit like mine with my mother.

Lindsay
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 47

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 03:10:26 pm »

Awww im sorry that your relationship is kinda like that with your mom. I would have to say I am more on the side of Lorelai and Rory with my mom...but not all the time.

Forever FFF #5

Lorelai: Its like falling 600 feet to your death. You know, its fun the first 599 feet, but its just that last foot--total sucko
Lorein_ARG
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 52

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 08:20:28 pm »

I think Richard's been amazing from the beginning. I mean, this characters are those we want to hate but we can't. And I like how the show makes us think about parents-children relationship. Luckily my mom's and I are not like Emily and Lorelai, but my mom also thinks that my boyfriend isn't good enough for me too (ugly, isn't it)... ĦI'm not that good either! But the times they can really share thinks are memorable!

Oh, I can't stop drinking the coffee. I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing and walking and the words putting-into-sentence doing.
mecca
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 06:52:37 pm »

I think both actors are terrific, but would like to talk about the character of Emily right now.  I think she is often overlooked as one of the "Gilmore Girls".  The mom-daughter relationship between Rory and Lorelai would not be as interesting, especially to older viewers, without the juxtaposition to the relationship between Emily and Lorelai.  And, their relationship is constantly evolving in what is to me a more interesting way than the younger 2.  I think my mom would be surprised that Emily often reminds me of her, because my mother is not that rich, mean or evil.  However, she does give me the impression often that she is disappointed in me.  She also has strong opinions about everything.  And she is always there for me, even though she never says it.

Over 40 and lovin' the GGirls
kaylarox
Diner Regular

Community Points: 7

Rory is one of my favorite characters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 05:44:21 pm »

I think this season of GG has really shown some good acting and talent skills from Kelly Bishop! She has been talented from the start, but this season there's something different. I can't put my finger on it, but it's a good different. She has shown way more emotions so far and it's just been a rollercoaster for her character Emily. What do you guys think?

Phoenix
Town Resident

Community Points: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 03:57:31 pm »

I've gotta say I enjoy the characters of Emily & Richard.  Sure, Emily can be cold, but when she shows her human side, she's great.  Richard's a great character too.  I like the bond he & Rory have.  It always amuses me when I watch Season 1 and see how uncomfortable he was at the thought of spending time at the Club with Rory.  How far they've come.

Get Firefox 1.5
Happily a spree.
fuzzysnowflake
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 11:22:28 pm »

Has anyone ever noticed just how much Emily's hair changes?  And I mean not just from season to season but also from episode to episode!
Kukalaka
Inn Owner

~ Fanny ~

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 11:49:53 am »

I totally agree about the hair thing. I've noticed that too. She always looks stylish.

And I like Emily's look on her face, when Lorelai finally told her something about her live, like that she doesn't know if she has feelings for Luke in season 1.

kaylarox
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 03:10:08 pm »

OMG! Shocked I just saw Edward Herrmann on The Lost Boys last night!!!!!!!!! That movie had it's funny parts!  He was great in it! I loved that movie. I'm going to buy it with one of the gift cards I still have from Christmas! He's a good actor. Grin Here's a quick picture of him and Diane Wiest in the movie........

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:33:22 pm by kaylarox » Logged

Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 12:51:32 pm »

Anyone else think these last seasons have done a huge disservice to the character of Emily?  They took significant growth of her and wiped it away.  Especially with the Lorelai/Luke relationship.  I could see her not being gung ho about it.  The whole class issue I think would be something she would be concerned about, but not to the extent that she took it.  A few snide barbs at Luke's expense?  I could see her doing that.  Actively setting out to break them up and put Lorelai with Christopher (which would have been slightly more plausible if she even liked the guy)?  It smacked of them needing a villian and Emily was it.  Yeah, Richard played a part, and I actually think Richard is worse than Emily in some ways, but I also don't think he's experienced the growth Emily has, so it's not as shocking to see him play the black cape, mustache twirly cliche villain.

I mean, Emily actually had a pretty nice conversation with Luke in Forgiveness and Stuff.  And, while I know it's different once Lorelai actually started dating him, it still seems they carried her reaction too far.  I mean, this is also the woman who managed to be civil to both Dean and Jess when they came to dinner, even if she felt they weren't worthy of Rory.  But, again, later events made Emily seem more one dimensional.  The whole Yale boys party she threw.  Emily's always been manipulative, but that was really much too obvious.  She's usually more subtle. 

Also, they seem to have taken away her ability to empathize.  There are two moments that still stand out for me as Emily's best.  First, her speech to Rory in Christopher Returns.  I practically have it memorized.  Just going in to make Rory feel better would have been enough, but it went beyond that, where she actually could sense that Rory might have been bothered by more than one argument.  And, second when Emily told Christopher to leave after he went back to Sherry and then came to talk to Lorelai.  That, iirc, was the first time she saw Lorelai in real emotional pain and didn't use it as an opportunity to taunt her or lecture her.  And, then, there were the times where Emily showed admiration for Lorelai's successes.  Admiration, to me, that was more about who Lorelai was and valuing the life Lorelai showed, unlike Richard who seemed to admire Lorelai only if he could see some sense that she was fitting into his world.  And, they've taken all that away.  Emily will always be critical and a snob, which is why she'll never be my favorite character, but it's like they took away the things that made her three dimensional.  And, worse, they've made her fairly cartoonish.

One thing I'm glad is that they readdressed Richard's feelings about the life Emily leads.  I thought that was a good storyline.  Emily feeling obsolete, Emily working hard at this entire life (as Lorelai said, her job is being a corporate wife) and then realizing that Richard thinks it's all fluff.  I had thought that was going to be the underlying plot for the two of them, and then it got sidetracked.  And, now, although I like that they're returning to it (they'd better, since they brought it completely in the open when Emily realized that Richard didn't want Rory to turn into Emily) I'm also afraid that the damage they did to her character is going to make me not as interested as I could be.  Unless they show her retaking those forward steps in her relationship with Lorelai, I don't know if I'll feel sorry for her when Richard demeans her life.

Sorry for the long dissertation.  The thoughts just came to me and I wanted to get them out.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
kaylarox
Diner Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 03:48:33 pm »

Here are some more pics of Emily and Richard...

gilmore-girl
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 30

Forward, Remember, Forward::Proud to be a Huskie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 08:37:36 am »

I love the episode when Emily got drunk after finding a letter that Richards mother didn't want them to get married. That was the best!!  Cheesy

- gilmore-girl
Save yourself some time and the forum some space...read the rules!!

Canuck
Town Resident

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 09:08:42 am »

Emily has had some great one-liners. Two of my favourites are: 'Would you like a mirror so you can finish your conversation' (to Loreli); and 'Do you have turrets?' (again to Loreli). I may have got some of the wording wrong, but you get the gist. What are your favourite Emily-isms?

x

'I am having a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt. WHO would like a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: