Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 09:34:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475982 Posts in 1571 Topics by 106555 Members
Latest Member: FFinley

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Relationship Threads
| | | |-+  Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: Reconcilers (Emily and Richard) - You've been Gilmore'd  (Read 32152 times)
reallifegilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

lor & luke forever

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »

one of my favorite scenes with them together was at the inn when richard finally confessed he had lost his job and emily was so understanding - great writing & acting
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2007, 06:06:23 pm »

I like in season 6 when they were having breakfast and emily kept talking and Richard would only make noises, and then she stops and he  just  repeats everything back.

Sorry, that was very very vauge....

any way hilariously great couple.

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2008, 06:21:06 pm »

Emily at times does want to be like Lorelai.  I can't remember the episodes but she has asked Lorelai stuff like, how do you do that? or...oh yeah one time she asked why they can't have a relationship like her and Rory.  But Emily can be SO Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.  It bugs me that she insists on focusing on Lorelai's "mistake."  I think that subject/idea should be off limits.  Lorelai sometimes does the same thing to her mom, but only to defend herself.  I wish we could determine the specific reason Emily is the way she is.  Because she can be SO awful.  It's like she was traumatized or something.  I mean, when she was a kid or something.  I guess it's established that she learned it from her mother??  Anyway, Everyone knows she cares about Lorelai, but she sure doesn't show it in very nice ways sometimes. 

For a minute I was thinking that she is WAY too involved in Rory's life for just a grandmother.  Of course, my opinion on that is based on my own relationship with my grandmothers.  But then I thought that it's probably natural for her situation because she really doesn't have anyone else.

Sometimes I think she needs some Xanax.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure.
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2008, 02:49:58 pm »

Emily and Richard have the hardest relationship to figure out. I have almost no doubt they love each other but on what is their relationship based? They don't spend much time together. hey don't talk much to each other. They don't seem interested in the same things. The only thing they have in common is their pride..... and their thoughts about the rich and Luke. Having said that, i like their romantic moments, they are few but so worth the wait like when they talked about the way he proposed, typical E&R. Also i love their dance in that Wedding Blues episode. Also, i like when Richard yelled at Lorelai "if my wife wants the first cup of tea then she will get the first cup of tea".

Personally, i think Richard makes a worse parent than Emily, he never showed any interest in being in Lorelai's life and he never tried to really know her. Worse than that, he always looked at Rory as a replacement to Lorelai.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:54:15 pm by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1266

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2008, 09:22:59 am »

Dearest Em & Richie are that kind of old-fashioned couple whose roles are very clearly laid-out; they each have their own sphere of influence in the marriage. To me, this doesn't make anything puzzling about their relationship, it provides a good balance between them. I think of them as two sides of the same coin. They have similar sensibilities about their place in life, as a kind of cause for the Gilmore name. Like any long-term marriage they go through their ruts but beneath the surface they are usually on the same page. Their season 5 separation ultimately served to show how well they fit with each other. On a more practical level, they do share certain interests. Richard loves to gripe about attending the DAR functions, but i think he enjoys cultural events such as the symphony and theatre as much as she does. Of their generation, there was less divorce and more a tendency to stick it out in a marriage for better or worse. With E & R, they were not simply sticking it out. They were very content to be with each other for the long haul. I also loved Richard's line about Emily getting the first cup of tea!

As far as their parenting skills, or lacek thereof, difficult to choose between the aloof provider and the hyper-critical tormentor. I've always suspected that teenager Lorelai ran away from Emily more than Richard between the two of them. On the other hand, Lorelai is less guarded about shooting off her mouth towards Emily, not only in snarky moments but on those rare occasions when she and Emily talk without tension like two grown-ups.

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:05 pm »

Dearest Em & Richie are that kind of old-fashioned couple whose roles are very clearly laid-out;

As far as their parenting skills, or lacek thereof, difficult to choose between the aloof provider and the hyper-critical tormentor. I've always suspected that teenager Lorelai ran away from Emily more than Richard between the two of them. On the other hand, Lorelai is less guarded about shooting off her mouth towards Emily, not only in snarky moments but on those rare occasions when she and Emily talk without tension like two grown-ups.

Richie??? I know there is a right respond to this but i'll just say wow!  Shocked  Cheesy

I feel the same way that Lorelai ran because of Emily more than Richard. I think that is because she doesn't have any sort of relationship with him. As she said, he went to work, read the paper and went to work again, something like that. It's funny because he loves Lorelai but doesn't show it. In the first episode when Emily first came up with the idea of Friday Dinners, he smiled and was happy about it. But i still can't get over the awkwardness when they sat alone together for a minute  in "Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers".

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
PrettyTownSpinster
Diner Regular

Community Points: 354

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2008, 11:30:44 am »

I feel the same way that Lorelai ran because of Emily more than Richard. I think that is because she doesn't have any sort of relationship with him. As she said, he went to work, read the paper and went to work again, something like that. It's funny because he loves Lorelai but doesn't show it. In the first episode when Emily first came up with the idea of Friday Dinners, he smiled and was happy about it. But i still can't get over the awkwardness when they sat alone together for a minute  in "Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers".

Yeah Lorelai was running away from the nagging her mother continually gave her.  At least thats how I saw it.  My mother used to nag a lot too and I kindda felt trapped in my own house.  Its really bad because I have noticed that I started doing it to my current live in boyfriend.  Its somehting that I really don't like about myself.  but I plan on changing it

Lorelai's relationship with her father is awkward I agree.  They always seems so tense around one another.  You can cut the air with a butr knife.  But I guess they just don't know what to say to one another.  Either there is a lot of resentment built up or they just plain don't share any similar conversation pieces.  Possibly a little of both. 

I really like this thread.  I'm so glad I came across it (just popped in)

My New Website
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: