Dean Forester Unappreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 01:10:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 115400 Members
Latest Member: S86G

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Unappreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Dean Forester Unappreciation
Poll
Question: how much do you hate dean??
HATE HATE HATE!!!! - 37 (34.9%)
YUCK! - 15 (14.2%)
moderatly gross - 4 (3.8%)
somtimes alot, sometimes a little - 32 (30.2%)
ok, I guess - 18 (17%)
Total Voters: 106

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Dean Forester Unappreciation  (Read 36662 times)
gilmorefriend
Official Gilmore Girl

Community Points: 1354

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2007, 10:04:15 am »

Why are there symbols? They are confusing!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:50:10 pm by gilmorefriend » Logged

THIS ACCOUNT IS SO OLD BUT I DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO DELETE IT PRETEND I DON'T EXIST
ggcare
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2007, 01:26:30 pm »

i don't like dean in season 1. And the way he broke with rory. So much humiliation. I don't like him either when he proposed & married to Lindsay eventhough he is still in love with Rory. And I hated him for committing adultery. Although, it was also Rory's fault too. Anyway, sad to know that they did commit adultery when they are not in love..
I like him being nice to most of the people, but most of the time too nice which is boring.
Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2007, 03:46:58 pm »

Did anyone else hate the way jared always rocked back and forward when he was on camera?

Lilly Gilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2007, 12:48:16 pm »

I certainly don't hate Dean, in fact I don't hate any of the Characters.

But I do think that when Lorelai said he was a good first boyfriend, she was right. But then he started acting funny when Rory was with Jess and then that bugged. It was more like, 'Come on Dean, you're bigger then this!'

And then he got married, it was just a big slap on the forehead. I didn't like it so much when he and Rory were back together. I mean, I think it was good for the two of them, because the got some real closer with each other, but that's about it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, behold! The Thing That Reads A Lot!"
Seni
Town Selectman

Community Points: 594

Literati forever

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2007, 01:19:12 pm »

i don't like dean in season 1. And the way he broke with rory. So much humiliation.

I always though about this as some sort of teenage drama almost every first relationship has. Or maybe I was just to darn happy that she could finally be with Jess and didn't think about it enough  Grin

Did anyone else hate the way jared always rocked back and forward when he was on camera?

I never noticed that...maybe when he has his hands in his pockets, then?

But then he started acting funny when Rory was with Jess and then that bugged.

hmm...I always think that if Dean hadn't kept interfering with Jess' and Rory's relationship it would have been maybe a little easier for them.

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2007, 01:12:46 am »

hmm...I always think that if Dean hadn't kept interfering with Jess' and Rory's relationship it would have been maybe a little easier for them.

I was watching some of  season 3 the other day and was annoyed by how Jess was so jealous of Dean. I mean Jess already is with Rory so why would he be jealous of Dean. It felt silly! I think we can unappreciate a lot of things about Dean of season 5 but i think it's sooooo unfair to blame him for Rory/Jess messed up relationship. The fault was all Jess's. He should've known better. He has a big head but hardly ever used it!

Back to Dean, he is so stupid. He was accepted at college but he didn't go, why? To work in a little store that isn't even his store all his life. He knew he was in love with Rory but he went and got married anyway. He knew Lindsay was jealous of his suspecious friendship with Rory but he ignored it. Even when he got divorced he went back to his parent's house! How dependant is that?! He became so bitter after his second break-up with Rory. He never feels he's good enough and yet he never does anything to change anything. Kind of a loser.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:26:34 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Seni
Town Selectman

Community Points: 594

Literati forever

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2007, 01:47:37 am »

I was watching some of  season 3 the other day and was annoyed by how Jess was so jealous of Dean. I mean Jess already is with Rory so why would he be jealous of Dean. It felt silly! I think we can unappreciate a lot of things about Dean of season 5 but i think it's sooooo unfair to blame him for Rory/Jess messed up relationship. The fault was all Jess's. He should've known better. He has a big head but hardly ever used it!

Yeah, I agree Jess was acting weird and it was almost a lost cause in season 3, but imagine there was no Dean at all. Like if they took him out of the storyline, just maybe if he were on the street sometime just so we know he didn't disappear. I really would like to know would it be better then, or would Jess find something else to fuss over?

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-
RJandRL4ever
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

"Why did you come?" "You didn't say goodbye"

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2007, 02:46:59 pm »

ugh don't even get me started on Dean!
he is soo needy and always gets mad at the smallest thing
i mean take jess he just came over for dinner and he got so mad at rory!
PARIS had to jump it.......come on seriously PARIS........
i just hate dean! he was an ok boyfriend but he got soooooo old after so little.....
ew dean.....
yes i have a lot of hatred towards him! hehehe
hey just FYI i'm new here so i don't know much.......just saying.

The Universe
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2008, 11:14:40 am »

he is soo needy and always gets mad at the smallest thing

Agreed.
He reminds me of MY first boyfriend.  Two thumbs down.
jessandrory4ever
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:45 pm »

Dean and Rory were cute together--until the first time they broke up. (That's so telling about him--the first time--I can't believe HE broke up with her THREE times!) But they never had any real chemistry. You didn't feel it when they were onscreen together. And then he turned into such a jerk. He was socially awkward and so ridiculously possessive. Rory should have broken up with him right after she kissed Jess. Speaking of that kiss--there's a little moment right before she leans in, if you look at her face you can just SEE it. That's chemistry. Back to Dean--much as I thoroughly abhor him, I have to say in his defense that it was totally OOC for him to commit adultery. He was annoying, but still he had some innate sense of honor and rightness. And the dialogue between Rory and him at this point is absurd. Dean: I--like--your hair. Rory: I--got it cut. Dean: I--like--it. And then they make out. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT ANYWAY?!?!
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »

I just saw 5.04-Tippecanoe & Taylor, Too.  I'm re-watching the show through ABC Family and after going from Season 1 to Season 5.  It's clear that there's a sense of evolution and de-evolution of Dean Forester.

I liked him in Season 1.  He was the dependable good boy who liked Rory, he was willing to read books that she recommended.  Lorelai liked him a lot, she gave him a chance.  He was protective, managed to impress Madeline & Louise.  Sure, he was possessive when it came to people like Tristan or how Rory reacted to him saying "I Love You".  Yet, he was a good first boyfriend.

Then came Jess Mariano, Rory's intellectual equal.  He definitely saw Jess as a threat.  Yet, he tried to hold on to his relationship with Rory but realized that she had feelings for Jess.  Rory tried to be loyal to Dean and tried to be the good girlfriend but breaking up with her in front of everyone had to be embarrassing.  Sure, Jess played around and teased Dean for a bit.  Yet, Dean really humilated Rory leaving her upset.  When Jess dated Rory, Dean gave him a hard time.  Jess was trying to be the good guy but Dean just kept being around.  While Jess wasn't the dependable, protective character that Dean was in Season 1.  He admitted to having guilt and shame of how he treated Rory and tried to redeem himself in Season 4 but Rory never gave him that chance.

Dean definitely became the stalker character of sorts by parts of Season 3 and Season 4.  When he told Rory the news that he was getting married to Lindsay.  Rory was like "what the hell" and Dean got angry over the fact that she couldn't accept it when she was still with Jess.  When Rory and Jess broke up, it was too late.  Dean was in a relationship with Lindsay and was still pining for Rory.  When Luke saw a drunken Dean saying "Rory", he knew that Dean would cause a whole lot of trouble for Rory.  Luke always put Rory first before anyone.  He wanted to talk to Dean about the upcoming wedding and Dean just left.  When Luke saw Dean pine for Rory, even as Dean is married.  Luke knew things weren't going to work out for Dean and Lindsay while Rory would end up being hurt. 

In 4.14-The Incredible Shrinking Lorelais, Dean was trying to help Rory but because he's married.  He went against his own judgement and such.  Luke may have been doing the same thing in the same situation to his marriage with Nicole, but he had no romantic history with Lorelai at that time.  Sure, giving Lorelai a check for $30,000 may have helped contribute the end of Luke's marriage to Nicole but Luke did it as an act of friendship.  Dean though, because he's young and having just been married while carrying feelings for Rory definitely puts him in a bad place. 

Dean's claims that the marriage wasn't working may have been true from his mind but Lindsay was the one who wasn't giving up.  Lindsay may have not been smart either by making him work, drop out of school, and such.  Yet, did she tell him to do those things because she wanted some town house?  I can understand why Rory always needed him to help her out in situations but she really should've explored her options a bit more.  There's Lane, Paris, her mother.  I think because Rory had been overwhelmed by her first year in Yale and the disappointment over her relationship with Jess the year before and his unpredictable nature.  Dean was someone that she can depend on.  Yet, she was asking questions on whether he was doing the right thing. 

Dean lied to Rory about the state of his marriage only to get her into bed.  That was the moment I think audiences and especially Lorelai lost all respect for Dean.  Lorelai cared about Dean because he protected and cared for Rory.  Yet, the moment she saw him come out of Rory's room.  She couldn't really look at him.  Then he comes home, yells at Lindsay for answering his cell phone.  He treated Lindsay like crap and it was totally uncalled for.  He became a cheating husband and then when Rory left for Europe, he probably got upset and once again, was stuck with Lindsay.  The girl trying to be the good wife.  Then came the letter and... tick, tick, tick... BOOM!!!!

I think Rory's intention in that letter was to stay away from Dean and let him deal with his marriage to Lindsay.  Rory I don't think, wanted to hurt Lindsay but after the exposure of the letter.  She felt extremely horrible and got an awful lecture from Lindsay's mother.  I don't think Lindsay blamed Rory fully.  I think she was more angry at Dean and just humilated.  Then when Rory visited Dean at his home.  I remember him saying "I feel like an idiot" and my response is, "oh really!"  He blamed Rory for what happened not taking any responsibility for what happened. 

Then they tried to maintain a relationship that was mostly about sex and that wasn't working.  Rory I think wanted more while Dean I think, when he had sex with Rory the first time and other times, was thinking with his d*ck than the small brain inside his head.  When Rory later asked him if he still would've left if Lindsay hadn't found that letter.  I don't think he was being honest.  Then came the double-date with Luke & Lorelai and Luke was definitely bothered by Dean's presence.  He was more concerned about Rory and Dean's irresponsible ways.  It was clear that Luke had vehmently disapproved of Dean.  Though Luke may have been acting like a jerk and later apologized, it was only because he wanted to protect Rory. 

Rory-Dean III was definitely doomed not because there were people disapproving the relationship including Richard and Emily Gilmore.  It was also because they were both in different worlds.  Rory has a life filled with promise and potential and she's moving on her way up.  He's stuck working at Doose's like he did the time he arrived at Stars Hollow years ago.  Making things worse, he's got debts to pay for the aftermath of his marriage and everything else.  The final blow for me in that relationship was when Rory asked him questions about the Life & Death Brigade article she wrote and he couldn't give her straight answers.  Then came the Yale Party which was Richard and Emily's plan to get rid of Dean for good and they succeeded thanks to the arrival of Logan Huntzberger and his buddies.  Rory had a great time and when Dean showed up, he realized he doesn't belong in Rory's world anymore.  While I give him credit for conceding and realizing everything else, the fact he did it again in front of other people was not the way to go.  Rory was humilated but felt better thanks to Logan.

Dean's final appearance in 5.18-To Live & Let Diorama showed the final evolution of Dean Forester.  The dependable, loyal, and caring boyfriend of Season 1 had now become a bitter ex-lover.  Dean seeing Luke with Lorelai really must've pissed him off.  Yet, Luke and Lorelai's relationship is different because it's more adult than what Rory and Dean had.  Dean gave Luke some bad looks and Luke admitted that he acted like a jerk that night in the double date and apologized.  Yet, Dean said things that were totally uncalled for about Luke's situation.  I doubt the fact that he and Luke are the same.  Sure, Luke is a loner, not really to be worldly or anything.  Yet, I don't think Dean knows Lorelai that well either.  Dean ends up putting doubts into Luke's head and would not be seen again for the show.

Though what Dean said would have some merit, Luke ended up in the series a changed man of sorts with a daughter, a surrogate daughter, and a woman he can always talk to and be with. 

It's funny that Dean was a such huge character yet in post-Season 7 fan-fiction, not much was written about him.  Writers prefer to write about Jess or Logan.  In Virtual Gilmore Girls Season 8, only Jess and Logan each made an appearance to help Rory out.  It's clear that in the end, Jess became the guy Rory can depend on and talk to as he grew up into a stable, accomplished young man.  The only problem is that since Luke & Lorelai are together and are likely to be married, they'd become step-cousins.  Ew!  Logan meanwhile, is also the same thing though he's trying to seek out his own goals and independence away from his father.  Yet, he helped Rory in her own situation as Rory realize she's glad she's got Logan to talk to as well.  Jess and Logan bring out the best in Rory and can understand her in ways Dean couldn't. 

Season 9, via fan fiction, is coming Tues.  It's likely that Jess and Logan will make an appearance (especially Jess since Heroes is not going very well), will Dean? 

I would compare Dean more to Christopher since they were the first loves of the Gilmore Girls.  They were dependable, understanding, and caring yet they were also posessive, immature, and often lacking in common sense.  Unlike Dean, Christopher at least is accepting in the fact that he's not the right guy for Lorelai no matter how much it hurt.  Dean ends up just sulking and blaming whoever he thinks caused harm in that relationship. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: