7.04 - `S Wonderful, `S Marvelous
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 03:25:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 122054 Members
Latest Member: KDigiovan

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Episode Discussion
| |-+  Season 7
| | |-+  7.04 - `S Wonderful, `S Marvelous
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: 7.04 - `S Wonderful, `S Marvelous  (Read 64854 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 643

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »

`S Wonderful, `S Marvelous: Lorelai and Christopher start dating; Rory covers an art show for the paper and makes some new friends; April arrives to stay with Luke for a few weeks while Anna is away; Richard takes a position as guest lecturer at Yale; and Lorelai is surprised by some unbelievable news regarding her mother.

Flame    Flame
nikki
Stars Hollow High Student

Community Points: 37

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:36:31 pm »

Hi everyone!

For those of you who haven't spent much time on a fresh new episode thread, I just wanted to share a couple reminders of a couple good practices.

Please DO NOT discuss the previews for the next episode here since they are sort of like spoilers to some people.  To discuss preview information from a promo, please go the Assorted Previews thread, found here.  This method has been going on for about a year now, so please join us Smiley

Remember, no spoilers, either here or in the Preview thread (even with a "spoiler alert").  For spoilers, please go to the Spoiler board, found here.

If you missed the episode and want to find someone who can help you get a copy of it, please go to the Tape Trading thread, found here.  Or if you would like a summary, TwoP writes a detailed summary/commentary about a week after the episode airs in the US.  Downloading the show when it is not provided by the network is illegal and not condoned by gg.org and therefore that information should not be discussed here.

Thanks!

I'll be back with my thoughts!

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
Canuck
Town Resident

Community Points: 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:38:39 pm »

FUNNY FACE!!!  Kiss  It's one of my favourite movies of all time. That's why I love this show: it's filled with pop cultural references I get and like.

"Good morning Miss Prescott".

'Marion, dear. What are you reading?'
"Minute men from Mars!'.

"Maaaarvellous mouth".

Great movie!

'I am having a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt. WHO would like a Gooseberry and Cinnamon yogourt?
crzygilmorefanatic
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:25 pm »

Chrisotpher and Lorelai were so cute, the date was so romantic.Emily getting arested was so funny, I mean come on Emily Gilmore? Other than that, I thought the episode was setting the foundation for the rest of season 7.

Life’s Short….. Talk Fast!
 Love Gilmores, love yourself
x_ch0c0
Inn Chef

Community Points: 492

xxx Pri

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:41:28 pm »

I didn't like this episode. Mainly, cause I'm a Java Junkie. But, Emily getting into jail was HILARIOUS!

||Never say good-bye, because good-bye means going away, and going away..means forgetting.||

Don't worry, I'm not forgetting. Smiley Bye bye, ORG.
emmagilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:43:20 pm »

I was very impressed with this episode. I thought Chris's date was awesome, because he really is the only one who can understand her situation with her mother. I also love Rory's new friends, they're funny. Though I wish that there could have been some Lane and Zack in this episode, all in all, it was... genius! Wink
khadijahnm
Town Resident

Community Points: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 07:48:27 pm »

I have to be brutally honest. Mr. Rosenthal, you only have a few more episodes in order to keep me watching. I need to get some strong inclination that the Lor & Chris are over once and for all. I understand plot twists and turns but you can see how forced this relationship is for Lorelai, she can only fool herself for so long.

Luke and Lorelai forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:51:25 pm »

It figures Luke would treat his daughter the same way he treated everyone else he cared about: "You don't need to take care of me." Hmph! Someone does...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:53:52 pm by lessa » Logged

emmagilmore
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:56:42 pm »

I agree! I would never stop watching but still, I hate Lorelai and Christopher together. I mean, people didn't even think about that in, let's say, Season 5, did they? No one cared! He's been gone from basically the whole show and Luke's been there. There's (or WAS) chemistry between them Christopher and Lorelai will never have. And now it's gone! I understand if you want to keep them apart for awhile, but come on! They need to have a confrontaion or SOMETHING!
So what I'm saying is the Chris is substance. Nothing more.
Feel free to disagree; I'm Paris in this sense.
nikki

Come check out the Great8Mandate!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:01:15 pm »

Just a quickie note before my full blown assessment in the future.

I just LOVE the fact that this episode featured and was titled in reference to Audrey.  Audrey is my favorite actor of all time, as a person, as a beauty, as a woman, as a star, so I was just tickled by this feature Smiley  (I don't know if I could tell you how many calendars, books and movies of her I have).

I'm also glad I didn't hear about the title of this episode until after it aired, because I would have definitely caught the reference and that would have spoiled Christopher's surprise for me.

In a previous thread I had mentioned my impression that Christopher is good at wooing himself into a relationship but not maintaining said relationship, and to me this episode further supported my theory.  Frankly I was a little squicked by him this episode.  First, at her door, he does the "so..." as in "so, can I come in?" and she immediately deflects to discussing candy.  Does he take the hint?  No.  Instead they kiss and he starts walking them to the door, forcing her to have to stop him more bluntly.  Frankly I think she should speak up more (I'm sick of how they've made Lorelai a "he should be able to read my mind" person), but then again pushy is pushy and decent is decent.

Second, he plans this big romantic evening.  Was it nice?  Yes, very.  But to me it said "well, I couldn't get into her pants the other night, so maybe I should make a big gesture to seal the deal."  Again, good at the wooing, but I doubt good at the maintaining.

Third, he ends the movie part of the date with "So Gigi's at my parents house."  What a classy gent.  I'm sure Fred used that line on Audrey as they drifted off on the raft.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not a Chris hater like so many others.  I don't blame him one bit for the issues between Luke and Lorelai, nor do I blame him at all for sleeping with Lorelai that key night (bad decision, yes, but no blame).  So this ick I'm feeling isn't due to a long term anti-Chris issue, but just due to his behavior tonight.

Also, was it just me, or were the circumstances around Lorelai inviting Christopher in weird?  An hour ago she said how she wanted to take things slow since she didn't trust them.  Then Chris pouts that his fabulous evening got overshadowed by Emily's arrest.  Then Lorelai invites Christopher in?  It just said so many negative things to me.  The thought bubble I see over Lorelai's head is one or all of the following.  "Aww, poor guy.  He made all that effort and now he's bummed.  It's the least I could do."  "Well, he did do a lot of work tonight, I guess I owe him."  "I made him feel bad, how can I cheer him up?"  "He laughed along with my evil cackling at my mother's plight, he really gets me.  Trust issues over!"

These were the kinds of messages I received from her invitation in that last scene, but I realize I am probably being oversensitive and overanalytical.

Wore my Coffee-Shirt tonight, woo hoo!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:05:56 pm by nikki » Logged

Click here to become part of the Great8Mandate!
lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:02:22 pm »

Well, until Lorelai let down her guard and stopped trying to protect herself (now that, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call open, direct communication) he was probably afraid to argue with her. Once they progress to a less fragile relationship, they may be more open about any negative feelings they have or develop.
Not to sound too down on C&L - they look wonderful together in the moment.

On a side note: What on Earth did Christopher say to Rory that prompted her to give Lorelai the same speech Lorelai gave her when she decided to be friends with Jess?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:05:17 pm by lessa » Logged

Erin

The poster formerly known as lovingg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 08:10:03 pm »

I thought that Emily getting arrested was the highlight of the episode.  I really couldn't have cared less about Rory and her new "friends," who seemed a little odd and slightly rude, but I think it's interesting that she really doesn't have any people besides Logan and Lane in her life (well, there's Paris, but it's Paris).  I wonder if these new girls will be sticking around or if they were just there for this episode.  And I wonder if her putting off talking to Logan until later will be addressed, or if that was just to show us that she's trying to make a life for herself at Yale and not just attach herself to Logan, who is a continent away. 

I have mixed feelings about the whole Christopher thing.  The romantic in me really appreciated the thoughtfulness of his date, and I loved that he showed Funny Face (it's one of my favorites).  I also think that the interaction between Christopher and Lorelai is really natural and easygoing, and that's a nice change from the strained relationship we had to endure between Luke and Lorelai.  I don't think he planned the evening as a way of "getting into her pants," but I, like Nikki, do have my doubts about his ability to maintain a relationship.  However, I have my doubts about Lorelai's ability to maintain a relationship as well, so I'm interested to see how this all plays out.  And even if it's been six weeks in Gilmore land since the L&L split, I don't think it's wise at all for her to be in another relationship.  She can't be completely over Luke yet; she just can't be. 

Is it bad that I really don't care about Luke's storyline if Lorelai's not part of it? 

lisa00
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:41 pm »

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. However, I didn't particularly like seeing Christopher and Lorelai together (I'm a total JJ). Ok, the things I loved about this episode. My favorite part would have to be Sookie. She is the voice of reason. Sookie cracks me up. How could you not love her making all those noises in the background while Lorelai and Chris were planning their date?? Even though the whole date was very sweet and romantic, it's just so hard to beleive Lorelai can move on that quick. Does anyone else agree with me on that? If you think about it, 6 weeks isn't really all that long of time to get over such a serious relationship, even if L/C have a history. Or even if it's something familiar and comfortable. Enough about that though.

I love Emily. She is hilarious. It's cool that Lorelai gets to hold that over her head and tease her about it.

I like that April and Luke's relationship is growing. It's very sweet, in my opinion. I loved how they went to Target to spruce his place up. I'm very happy that we didn't have to see a "I told you so" moment from Anna though.

Rory's new friends are a trip. It's cool to see her making new friends and bonding with other girls besides Lane or Paris (don't get me wrong, I love them both). Kinda sad how she just sort of blew Logan off like that though. I'm sure he'll get over it. (That one girl, don't remember her name, her dress was very short!!)

One more thing, when Lorelai was telling Chris how no one would have got how much she enjoyed the whole thing with her mother, my first thought was, ummm, Luke would have enjoyed this and got it and understand it. Does anyone else think he would have??

flex151
Diner Waitress

Community Points: 255

she's a wonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 08:13:45 pm »

I cannot begin to describe how much I loved tonight's episode. Everything just felt right again! It was funny, it was fresh, it was honest, it felt real...as Pedro would put it, all my wildest dreams came true. I love that things seem to be shaping up well between Lorelai and Christopher (put the rotten tomatoes down), but I still can't shake the feeling that this is all just a set-up to make Luke and Lorelai's reunion more exciting. Funny Face is one of my favorite movies, 'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous is such a beautiful song (the original version is by Ray Conniff, if anyone wants to download it), and that date was one of a kind. Lovely all around.

I have to say that I had a déjà vu moment when Lorelai was ranting about Snakes on a Plane. I swear, it was almost word for word my reaction to the movie after having gone to see it with a friend! It was creepy! Ask Laurance, I went on and on and on about how mind-numbing the constant snakes on a plane, snakes on a plane, snakes on a plane was, and he said, "Well Shary, what did you expect, it's called Snakes on a Plane." And my response was almost verbatim what Lorelai said, minus the Driving Miss Daisy and Dances With Wolves references (I'm not that quick). It's true! A movie shouldn't just be what the title says! There needs to be more than just the constant drilling into your head that there are snakes on the plane!

I really liked the moments between Luke and April, and I thought it was telling that instead of suggesting her mother to Luke right away (as most kids would, wanting their parents to be together) she had thought of one of her school teachers instead. April is a very smart and mature girl, she is beyond "I want mommy and daddy to get married!" and can see that them being her parents doesn't automatically qualify them to be a couple. Though I have another one of those "can't shake it" feelings that there is a romantic future for Anna and Luke (yeah, why don't I just kick you JJ's while I'm at it..I'm sorry!).

Favorite line:
EMILY: "You know, someone's robbing a Qwiki Mart right now and you're wasting time here harassing me!"

Random Facts I Learned From This Episode:

1. bagels are hip

2. poppy seeds are a gateway drug

3. Chris is a big heavy bowling ball

4. Paris is a lunatic (well, that's not news)

*Kate's Stalker*

What the snap, crackle, and pop is going on?!
caitlin
Stars Hollow Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 08:14:09 pm »

Thoughts about tonight: (which I loved, besides Chris)

Lorelai didnt' seem very comfortable with Chris in the beginning, when they kissed at her doorstop her hands just seemed off, and not natural like it came with Luke, I know it's a new thing for her and Chris, but I'm not complaning, because I don't want them comfortable.

I'm glad people are worried about Lorelai and telling her to be safe, because she needs to hear it. I'm also confident that Luke & Lorelai will end up being together, especially with the things that Sookie was saying, made it sound as if it won't last, and Sookie doesn't really like the fact of L/C, so that just makes it all the better. I think she kind of jumped in with her relationship with Christopher kind of fast as well.

Sookie is hysterical, I LOVED her voices, haha. Especially the one at the end .. "sounds like somebody's got a date". I loved her clanking of the pan lid and her chopping of the gord, hysterical. She always cracks me up. Chris makes me want to gag, and saying "Lor" just gets on my nerves.

I bet something will happen with April and Luke will handle it really well so that Anna will be proud - and then I guess we'll see what happens with them from there, if anything. I'm glad he's deciding to sorta redecorate his place and add some color to it.

Hah, I loved the way Lorelai reacted when Chris picked her up for the date and the "steps" lines over and over again with her jumping, haha. She always talks so much, so fast, and it never gets old, hah. Smiley Luke's place looks nice redone with the bed comforters and the table and things, seems like soon he will start to date again, hmmm. I have to admit, what Chris did was really sweet, but he doesn't gain total respect from me, yet. Nor, do I think he will anytime soon.

I also love Paris' new hair, it looks so pretty. And, I think Logan thought that Rory was blowing him off.

Emily was absolutely hysterical to the police officer, I loved her remarks. And, then when Lorelai found out and how it made her night better, so great, hah. Then, when Lorelai picked Emily up from jail, classic. Her and her taking pictures on her cell phone and the 'Jail House Rock' comment was perfect.

The ending, ugh fjdska;j. He just seems so fake a lot of the times and makes me want to throw up inside myself.

Plus, how weird would it be if Luke started dating Anna - with Lorelai dating Chris - one dad and mom of their daughter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: