Lorelai Gilmore Unappreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 07:46:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  Are you new to the ORG Forum?  Perhaps you're a longtime member.  Either way, read the Forum rules to stay informed on proper etiquette.  Cheerio!  Star
475988 Posts in 1571 Topics by 118301 Members
Latest Member: BDuckett

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Unappreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Lorelai Gilmore Unappreciation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Lorelai Gilmore Unappreciation  (Read 26640 times)
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »

omg! Angry Angry Angry Angry
People! What are you thinking. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES! I'm tired of people hating her for sleeping with chris! I mean i hate chris as much as everyone! I mean believe me i want to beat him up but lorelai is a good character and she just flipped out.no one is perfect right?  Huh Huh Huh I back lorelai up 1,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 percent, we all make bad choices but life goes on and we learn from our mistakes.
P.S. LORELAI WILL ALWAYS BE LORELAI NO ONE OR NO THING CAN CHANGE LORELAI'S AMAZING PERSONALITIY! SHE ROCS AND ALWAYS WILL ROC OK?!?!?!?!
Now who wants tea? lol
P.S.S.LUKE AND LORELAI FOREVER!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin
P.S.S.S. Sorry i freaked i just love this character!

Just because you like a character that doesn't make it perfect. I like Lorelai and many other charcters in the show but i do realize that non of them is perfect which make them interesting.
Besides i think that when Lorelai slept with Chris wasn't just a mistake but somehow so typical of her character. As i said she always makes big decision when she is in a bad state of mind. She is a grown-up and should know better.

And one more thing, this thread is called "Lorelai Gilmore Unappreciation" so we are supposed to say the things we do not like about her.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:32:31 pm by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
Lauren is my idol
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 277

.:.Lauren is such an inspiration to me!.:.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 03:17:04 pm »

K I love Lorelai and I'm not here to say anything bad but I just wanted to say that I agree with you Sidney... this is the UNappreciation thread so just say things you don't like about her...If you do however want to say something you like about her...etc., then post in the Appreciation thread.

Java Junkie Pleased
"I just like to see you happy"
My names Gena. Like Jenna =]
ILY mel, olivia, amber, dybbi, maggie, myra, britney, grace, rory, spence
gracelandia
Town Selectman

Community Points: 220

{GrAcE}

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »

I love Lorelai, but I think it's kind of odd that she is (sorry) kind of a slut.  You would think she would have learned something from being a teenage mother, but she sleeps with people without thinking about it at all.  A few examples: the much-discussed time with Chris at the end of season 6, with Jason on their first date, with Max when she went to his house that one time. etc.

AT LAST A MEMBER OF THE CRAZIEE CLUB
I don't look a day over 89 years and 364 days!
Me and Lexie love pink lemonade!!
Edelweiss
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 09:37:47 am »

I love Lorelai, but I think it's kind of odd that she is (sorry) kind of a slut.  You would think she would have learned something from being a teenage mother, but she sleeps with people without thinking about it at all.  A few examples: the much-discussed time with Chris at the end of season 6, with Jason on their first date, with Max when she went to his house that one time. etc.

Well think about it... Since childhood, Lorelai has been finding love in other places because it was not available at home. Since she was a child, she was on her own WITH a child. Marriage was introduced to her as a way of escape. To Lorelai, committing to marriage could mean a lot of things: For one, it could mean giving up her independance. For a woman like Lorelai, whos been out on her own FOREVER, independance is 100% of who she is. She has never needed anyone, at least claimed to never need anyone.

Christopher is her "F-B'. Hes her f*** buddy. She goes to Christopher because hes just as emotionally screwed up as she is. Christopher makes her feel better about herself and, not to mention, is always there for a little roll in the sheets when she feels like she needs someone to just be romantic to her. Lorelai is 38 years old... shes nearly 40 and is still un-married. That can be very traumatising for A LOT of women. Having a man there who you dont need to commit to but can still make you feel like a woman is very appealing to a woman like Lorelai, but for all the wrong reasons.

am I making any sence?

roryshmory
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 10:35:52 pm »

I'm trying to figure out what I think Lorelai and Emily were REALLY like as mother and daughter when Lorelai was growing up.  I'm starting to think Lorelai was the brat with all these weird notions and Emily was doing her best.  I'll have to study the episodes better but this is my opinion after watching the pilot episode yet again.

Emily does seem awfully difficult.  And she is definitely part of the reason for their poor relationship in the present.  I mean, all she does is focus on how horrible Lorelai was and Lorelai is trying to focus on the present.

But...in the pilot episode Lorelai is the one saying I was a grown up at 16, you wouldn't give me my independence.  And she ran away.  Oh, I see, is THAT how grown ups handle situations?

Um no.  Just because "the strip turned pink" or whatever, didn't mean you became mature.  I mean, duh.  Basis of the character is that she is more immature in some ways than her daughter.

I am highly open to other opinions.  Anyone?Huh
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:53 am »

I'm trying to figure out what I think Lorelai and Emily were REALLY like as mother and daughter when Lorelai was growing up.  I'm starting to think Lorelai was the brat with all these weird notions and Emily was doing her best.  I'll have to study the episodes better but this is my opinion after watching the pilot episode yet again.

If you want another opinion, then i have to say that i think Lorelai was a bad girl as a teenager but Emily did not do her best. She was controlling. I remember Lorelai once said about her childhood that while Other kids were hugged and kissed, she was taught to maintain proper spacing and distance ! And even when Lorelai was in labor, all Emily did was yell at her. Didn't she see the timing there?! I think Emily defines a good parenting by material things and of course that only create misery.

As maturity goes, i think Lorelai is more mature than we think. She was 17 when she left her parents' house but she did an amazingly outstanding job in raising her daughter. I don't think any mother have done a better job. She even separated her dating life from Rory because she was so worried about not giving her a sense of security.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:47:03 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 05:59:14 pm »

\ And even when Lorelai was in labor, all Emily did was yell at her. Didn't she see the timing there?! I think Emily defines a good parenting by material things and of course that only create misery.

As maturity goes, i think Lorelai is more mature than we think. She was 17 when she left her parents' house but she did an amazingly outstanding job in raising her daughter. I don't think any mother have done a better job. She even separated her dating life from Rory because she was so worried about not giving her a sense of security.

Oh yeah I forgot about how she yelled at her.  I remember now thinking how wrong that was and how even if my daughter was in the same situation I would help her and be nice at least while she's in labor.  I mean, OW (to put it mildly).

This may be a mean judgmental comment, but I am actually surprised that Lorelai could do so well with Rory all by herself when she was so young, too.  I think I would have had a nervous breakdown
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:00:20 pm by roryshmory » Logged
katlyn13579
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 18

Happy Birthday Lauren!!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 04:46:57 pm »

Lorelai is my most favorite in the Gilmore Girls but she did make a lot lf huge mistakes. Like sleeping with Chris when she and Luke broke up, marring Chris, yelling at luke for when Jess crashed Rorys car, and a lot of other stuff. I  hated it when she went to Chris and when she woke up the next morning i think she knew she had done wrong. Lorelai is my favorite but sometimes i think she needs to get her act toghter!  Coffee

gilmoregirls1fan
Town Resident

Community Points: 13

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 08:06:15 pm »

the only thing i hate about her is...
When she dates CHRIS!!
UGH I HATE HIM
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 11:49:57 am »

Someone made a good point.  If Lorelai got pregnant the first time she had sex, then she is pretty fertile.  She had sex a lot.  Why didn't she get pregnant again?  I mean, you could argue that she had protection, but she went into it  pretty fast on some occasions.

Plus, she has always been in denial of Rory's "perfectness."  Rory was not perfect in any of the seasons.  Some more so than others.  Lorelai just wants to keep thinking she is, no matter what she does.
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 02:53:21 am »

Plus, she has always been in denial of Rory's "perfectness."  Rory was not perfect in any of the seasons.  Some more so than others.  Lorelai just wants to keep thinking she is, no matter what she does.

Well, of course she does. She is her mother so naturally she want to think that her daughter is the best. Nothing wrong with that. Also Rory was pretty special in early seasons, very mature with a great heart. She often covered her feelings for the sake of others. Plus she is smart and talented so of course many think of her as a perfect girl.

roryshmory
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:20 am »

Well, of course she does. She is her mother so naturally she want to think that her daughter is the best. Nothing wrong with that. Also Rory was pretty special in early seasons, very mature with a great heart. She often covered her feelings for the sake of others. Plus she is smart and talented so of course many think of her as a perfect girl.

Again, this is an UNAPPRECIATION THREAD.
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 11:03:30 am »

Again, this is an UNAPPRECIATION THREAD.

I know what an "UNAPPRECIATION THREAD" means but you said in one of your posts up there that you want to hear something opposite so execuse me if i got you wrong!

roryshmory
Town Troubadour

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:47 am »

I did a while ago, I must have forgotten where I was writing, too.   But that was a month ago.

K I love Lorelai and I'm not here to say anything bad but I just wanted to say that I agree with you Sidney... this is the UNappreciation thread so just say things you don't like about her...If you do however want to say something you like about her...etc., then post in the Appreciation thread.
thevoid99
Diner Regular

Community Points: 19

Shame on our dirty little hearts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:39 pm »

I've been hesitant to write about Lorelai in this section because she is a great character yet after watching Season 7 and having some time to think about what happened to her.  It became clear that she became an unlikeable character.

Yeah, for the first 5 season, there were moments of her immaturity.  She was jealous that her parents liked Rory more than her.  The fact that she didn't want to believe that Rory would be into that posh world she ran away from.  Eventually, she got over that.

Then, there's her relationships and I think for the longest time.  She had been desperate to find "the one".  The man who would take care of her.  Be there for her.  Be there for Rory.  Be the guy she can count on and always will let her be herself.  That man turned out to be Luke in the end.

I think for a longtime, Lorelai had tried to find someone that was going to be all of those things.  There was Max Medina who was this consumate romantic.  A fun guy, very smart, and charming.  It wasn't fair what happened to him but I think for Lorelai, she thought she was ready but realized she wasn't in love with him nor was she ready to have him move in to her place.

Then there was a brief thing with Alex that ended after Max's brief return and then, there was Jason Stiles.  The only reason she went out with him was just to annoy Emily though it was mostly a secretive relationship just on that.  It was good though he was neurotic and all of those things.  It just didn't work out.

Then there's Christopher.  Christopher for better and worse brings Lorelai's youthful side and spontaneity.  Yet, he's a total f*ck-up.  He comes to Lorelai, things seem to be good and then, things go bad.  It becomes this pattern where after he knocks up Sherry.  He just ruins what could be the real chance for Lorelai and Christopher to really be together after all of those years that they know each other. 

By Season 7, I think what Lorelai did to Luke and all that had happened clearly showed that one thing as I was saying in my mind just as she was describing through all of her mumbo-jumbo about the collapse of her and Luke.  What I saying was...

Who in the hell is this woman and what has she done to Lorelai Gilmore?

Lorelai Gilmore is an independent, quirky, coffee-loving, stubborn, cheery, caring, romantic kind of woman.

This new Lorelai was a desperate, selfish, unethical, and cold b*tch. 

Luke makes one big mistake over postponing the wedding and not including her in his relationship with his just-discovered daughter in comparison to the millions and millions of mistakes that Christopher made over the years.  Yet, she blames Luke for all that had happened?  That was unfair. 

Then when Rory finds out what really happened, it seemed like Lorelai was just not trying to really settle things and be evasive about it.  Of course Rory got pissed off. 

Then comes this existential thing Lorelai had over pop tarts and cotillions.  Ok, maybe the thing about cotillions and all those things her parents wanted weren't really so bad but the did I really like pop tarts thing didn't feel right with the entire series. 

Lorelai's big flaw is that when it comes to relationships, she is pretty much an impatient person.  I think she made a mistake in proposing to Luke.  The truth was, she was emotional over what happened with Rory and she needed someone to be there for her.  Luke loves Rory more than anything and what both of them should've done is just try and deal with Rory.  Instead, Lorelai proposed to him and he said yes.  Luke gave her the time to try and fix things with Rory but she should've had the same courtesy to give him the time to get to know his own daughter.  Yet, he should've maybe not worried so much about what Anna would've think and such. 

I think Lorelai definitely became lost during that first half of the seventh season and in marrying Christopher.  That was the biggest mistake she made in her life because she thought, "OK, here's a guy who loves me and wants to marry me.  Here is someone who I've known all of my life and that is willing to be there for me despite all that he had done in the past.  He's not the guy who wasn't willing to fight for me or even include me in his life".  She said yes and I think in saying yes to Christopher to marry was her not thinking. 

The fact that she didn't include Rory, Sookie, or even her parents was hurtful on Lorelai's part.  Of course Rory was upset about it.  Richard and Emily may have been happy that they got married but probably were a bit hurt that they eloped.  Sookie however, I think was confused.  I think the reaction from the town showed that no matter how much they love Lorelai, they're going to stick with Luke no matter what he's done, well except Taylor.  Even the things Lorelai said about Luke in comparison to Christopher was bad because she thought Christopher was so perfect and stuff. 

Sure, she didn't care what people thought about what she's doing yet it seemed like she was moving backwards into what her parents wanted but I think maybe Richard and Emily later on didn't like where things were going either.  Even as they see that there were cracks in the Lorelai-Christopher marriage.  Lorelai was unfair to Christopher in some respects to about not wanting a big wedding and such.  Really, Lorelai was just trying to deny all of these feelings she had for Luke. 

Then came the character reference, the blow-up with Chris, and Luke's return to the hospital when her dad got sick.  I think Lorelai began to realize she made a huge mistake and probably woke-up realizing she had no idea who she is anymore.  I think in being Lorelai Hayden, she hated herself for going into this huge mess and then go into something so traumatic. 

I think it was Emily that kind of steered her back on course to who she really is.  The truth is, she doesn't need a man to define her.  Luke never wanted to do that to her.  He always enjoyed her independence as well.  I think in the end, Lorelai did learn a lot from her marriage to Christopher, it's fall out and what happened with Luke and all of those relationships. 

The lesson was that she needed to be patient, see how things fall through, and just do what she needs to do for herself. 

Otherwise, she would become that awful woman known as Lorelai Hayden.  Ugh...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: