GilmoreGirls.org Forum
January 22, 2022, 10:14:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Snap  Heidi's Soapbox, now with a new poll! Vote, vote, vote!  Good times.  Best times!  Chomp

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.14 - That Damn Donna Reed  (Read 55559 times)
window lej
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2007, 06:33:04 pm »

Rory, "Ow man, I forgot the rolls."

Lorelali, "OMG, I just saw the pearls."
#1DeanLover
Diner Regular

Community Points: 24

I love Dean, and I am insane!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 04:21:45 pm »

I love it when Luke and Dean took out the trash and they saw each other. they looked like they were going to kill each other!

LOL.

~#1DeanLover
wheredidmickgo
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 10:03:11 pm »

since when does lorelai's house have a the front door in the living room??  ridiculous.  watch the scene when luke knocks at the door and enters to help lorelai find the loose chick. 

i love love love the luke and lorelai chemistry in this episode.  and to think, it took them 4 more seasons to get started.  the writers are awesome for plausibly delaying it that long. 

spunkie
java junkie
half literati/half headliner
"nice, not great?
great, not fabulous?
fabulous, not mondofabulous?"
jfb44
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26:10 pm »

The expression on Luke's, Rory's and Lorelai's faces are priceless when Lorelai was singing her "Paint Song".
GiLmOrE_fAnAtIc122
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 2

Matt Czuchry + Me = (in my dreams) Love4Ever!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:48 pm »

Grin Cheesy  Yeah... Lorelai is just singing on and Rory and Luke are just staring blankly... haha, could not stop laughing.  My favorite epi was "Love, Daisies and Troubadors".  The beginning was hilarious...

Lorelai: Dear god almighty and mr. Mirkle!"
Lorelai: Hey!
Rory: What?
Lorelai: You are not sleeping through this!
Rory: Sleeping through what?
Lorelai: The friking blue man group is outside our house!
Rory: I was sleeping through it!
Lorelai: It had to have woken you up!
Rory: No my insane mother Margot Kidder Gilmore woke me up!

Lol... greatest conversation ever...

Oy with the poodles already! <3
Lor:Hey!
Rory:What?
Lor:You are NOT sleeping through this!
Rory:Sleeping through what?
Lor:The freaking blue man group is outside our house!
Rory:I WAS sleeping through it!
Lorelai:It had to have woken you up!
Rory:No my insane mother Margot Kidder Gilmore woke me up!
~*SailorMoonFan*~
Town Resident

Community Points: 14

We are not what you think we are, we are golden!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2007, 01:12:20 pm »

I love it when Luke and Dean took out the trash and they saw each other. they looked like they were going to kill each other!

LOL.

OhMyGod yes! that is personally *the* most classic part of the episode. Along with the paint song, of course.

Anyway, i think Rory looked really cute in that dress. And when emily asked why rory was wearing an apron and lorelai said she was becoming a maid--classic!

Narco:Because I love you, you idiot!

~This one's for the girls~
logansLover
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2007, 09:54:24 am »

The alternative dialouge for the Donna Reed show was the best part. "It's not the second saturday of the month..."

But I also agree with Lorelai and Rory on the stay home and cook thing. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to do that for your husband or boyfriend once and a while, but I think women should be able to get jobs, and work without the man making them feel guilty, like their only place is in the home, waiting on them hand and foot.
GilmoreAddict7899
Diner Chef

Community Points: 399

in Omnia Paratus...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2007, 11:45:59 am »

\
But I also agree with Lorelai and Rory on the stay home and cook thing. I mean, yeah, it would be nice to do that for your husband or boyfriend once and a while, but I think women should be able to get jobs, and work without the man making them feel guilty, like their only place is in the home, waiting on them hand and foot=

yAh, i mena it is nice once in a while but Donna Reed was a little over the top.

I think Rory blew it way out of proportion. Dean wasn't saying that Donna Reed is the ideal women (What she does) He was just saying the concept of making dinner for your family is nice! Rory took that too far!

Java Junkie-Litliner.....Kim =)
logansLover
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2007, 12:03:18 pm »

Totally out of proportion. I mean, They were right to be appalled by Deans Confession of "Stay home and cook" but then for her to turn around and to that, it was like surrendering to a war. I think that eppi displays what woman will do to please man. Rory should have help to her guns about the dinner thing. Her going back was almost a example to what woman is doing now.
Dani257
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 242

I post. Deal with it.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2007, 01:49:50 pm »

I didn't see anything appalling by Dean's statement.   There was never a question or comment in anything he said about women not having the right to have jobs.  He never said women should stay at home and cook.  He said it was kind of nice (keeping in mind that he was talking about a scripted 50's tv show, and the plight of real women) to have the family together eating a home cooked meal.  There was nothing about staying at home (or, more importantly having to, or feeling guilty if they don't).  He mentioned his mother, who does work, and also happens to cook. He brought up the question of what if a woman was happy doing it?  I'm a feminist, but I think it's crazy of Lorelai and Rory to think that no woman could possibly be content with that life.  At least Rory's point about the script being written by a man had some validity.  It wasn't a woman's point of view, it was how a man interpreted it.  But, Lorelai saying Donna Reed was medicated?  (Ugh, I do know Donna Reed wasn't real.  Really I do)  Like there's no way any intelligent, competent woman could possibly not hate being a stay at home wife and mother.  Limiting a woman to the role of wife and mother (which is in no way what Dean said) is bad. But, it's equally as bad to limit a woman to only going out in the workplace. 

There were two sides to the story.  It got sidetracked by Dean saying Rory only felt the way she did because it was how Lorelai felt.  But, Rory only saw it from the women who did feel oppressed and who were forced to give up their dreams because of expectations of what a woman should do.  But, the other side were the women who were content with their lives and felt fulfilled with their identity being wives and mothers. It shouldn't be assumed that every woman who stays at home, or even just cooks while holding a job is oppressed and miserable.  Or that someone who likes the basic concept is trying to oppress women.

A bit leaner, but still chock full of demonic glory.  (Still pro Logan)
100% supportive of Alexis Bledel

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/8624/angela_tircuit.html
Razzlefratz91
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: -1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:47 pm »

This has to be one of my favorite episodes of all time.  Not only do we get to see Rory in big dress and pearls, but we see the first signs of Lorelai and Luke as a couple.  We also see another side of Rory, with her newly discovered feminism!

I also just love that kitten, Apricot!  Babette has such good taste!
(am I a total dork for still watching all of these episodes??  I think not!)

Luke and Lorelai Forever!!
LoveMe011
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 104

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2007, 12:18:56 pm »

even though luke suspected that the hunt for stella was a romantic invitation, his response tells us for SURE that he's interested in lorelai because he JUMPED at that romantic invitation for sure, and his reaction when he realized that they really WERE looking for a baby chic was a little disappointed. poor luke.

i don't think dean realized what he was getting himself into when he mentioned that he kinda liked the idea of the whole donna reed housewife scene. don't ever tell a woman that you like the idea of being the only one with the career and that it would be nice if she focused all her time and attention on housework and cooking and blah blah blah. you have officially walked into the lion's den at that point. however, i don't think he said it in a condescending or accusatory way, and i do think rory overreacted. but i think her apology [dressing up and doing dinner] was more than sufficient.

[Cassy]
-Literati.
-Java Junkie.

Rory:I love you, mom.
Lorelai:Aw...kid, you have no idea.
bingbong
Town Selectman

Community Points: 1271

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:45 pm »

even though luke suspected that the hunt for stella was a romantic invitation, his response tells us for SURE that he's interested in lorelai because he JUMPED at that romantic invitation for sure, and his reaction when he realized that they really WERE looking for a baby chic was a little disappointed. poor luke.

i don't think dean realized what he was getting himself into when he mentioned that he kinda liked the idea of the whole donna reed housewife scene. don't ever tell a woman that you like the idea of being the only one with the career and that it would be nice if she focused all her time and attention on housework and cooking and blah blah blah. you have officially walked into the lion's den at that point. however, i don't think he said it in a condescending or accusatory way, and i do think rory overreacted. but i think her apology [dressing up and doing dinner] was more than sufficient.

Yep, just one of many, many, many hints of the TRUE feelings that Luke had for Lorelai under the veneer of being "just friends". From Lorelai's point of view, as Sookie pointed out, Lorelai called LUKE, not someone else. How about that!?! 

Dean was getting himself into hot water by bringing up the subject, but i agree he meant well. I did not see anything in his statement that suggested a woman should not have a job outside the home. I took his comment to be more of a warm & fuzzy feeling about a family being together, with the mom being around for the kids. He was speaking from a teenager's point of view, someone who wants the mom around. However, it did not help that the statement came while watching the silliness of the '50s tv show. Also, when you consider that he later married Lindsay, who was essentially a Donna Reed type, that might put his statement into different perspective (and when he was working long hours during their marriage, burning himself out while she did not work at all, he might have regretted the whole concept).

Signature courtesy of SKFTEX
Tucker
Town Resident

Community Points: 22

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »

one of my favourites as well.

And I love all the conversations in the early seasons  when sookie tries to convince lorelai that luke is really into her.

lessa
Diner Chef

Community Points: 286

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2007, 04:48:04 pm »

Not to mention how Sookie tries to convince Lorelai she's into Luke. Apparently only Emily, uber reverse psychologist, has that power. Make Lorelai admit she likes Luke, then tell her not to. How could it fail? By the end of the epi Lorelai was actually going to buy some fruit. That is, until Christopher showed up.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: