Rory Gilmore Unappreciation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 11:16:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

TV  Remember that feeling you got when watching Gilmore episodes for the first time?  Relive it!  With us!  Join the viewing party, A Gilmore RevisitingTV
475986 Posts in 1571 Topics by 111210 Members
Latest Member: Pubidcq

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  Cast and Characters
| | |-+  Unappreciation Threads
| | | |-+  Rory Gilmore Unappreciation
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: Rory Gilmore Unappreciation  (Read 69639 times)
Seni
Town Selectman

Community Points: 594

Literati forever

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2008, 03:49:23 am »

Exactly. There is only a certain amount of Rory-Gilmore-perfectness a person can take  Grin

Which got me thinking...maybe the not-so-Rory things she did, like sleep with a married man, irrational immature fights with Lorelai, dropping out of Yale, maybe the writers made her have "big" and "major" problems because she really was perfect. A little problem wouldn't be so out of the ordinary. Every young person has problems. And since Rory was always so great, maybe they made it so out of character just to make a big contrast, otherwise it wouldn't make a big difference.

Grey's Anatomy - McLove
-Me and Amber never stop eating - Betty when you call me, you can call me Al-
-The Lit Who Couldn't Decide-
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:22 am »

I wonder what Logan would think if he knew Rory had slept with a married man.  And it was her first time.

I don't think Rory was ever that "perfect" as her mother always says.  It's one of the themes of the show, that her mother thinks she is so perfect, and will say things like,   "This isn't like Rory" and "Rory never does anything wrong."  From the first season she is not the perfect child.  She talks back to her mom a lot in the first 3 seasons when she's in high school.  Sure her mom taught her that, but she still did.

And I don't get her in Seasons 5-7.  She's become much more assertive, which is good, but doesn't call Logan on his bull nearly enough.   She's not very assertive with him.  Once in a while she is, but never carries it through.  See my post on Logan Unappreciation to see what I mean (I don't want to double post).
SIDNEY
Chilton Graduate

Community Points: 321

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2008, 03:06:18 am »

I wonder what Logan would think if he knew Rory had slept with a married man.  And it was her first time.

I don't think Rory was ever that "perfect" as her mother always says.  It's one of the themes of the show, that her mother thinks she is so perfect, and will say things like,   "This isn't like Rory" and "Rory never does anything wrong."  From the first season she is not the perfect child.  She talks back to her mom a lot in the first 3 seasons when she's in high school.  Sure her mom taught her that, but she still did.

And I don't get her in Seasons 5-7.  She's become much more assertive, which is good, but doesn't call Logan on his bull nearly enough.   She's not very assertive with him.  Once in a while she is, but never carries it through.  See my post on Logan Unappreciation to see what I mean (I don't want to double post).

First of all, why does it matter what Logan thinks? Everyone has a past, everyone has done mistakes and if Logan can't accept that then Rory is better off without him. Besides, he hasn't exacly been the perfect guy himself.

The Lorelai/Rory relationship was about communication and expressing their feelings. Lorelai didn't want to raise a daughter that she can control, she wanted someone to talk back to her. To let Rory have as much freedom as possible. So i don't really see anything bad about their relationship in early seasons. It was the relationship Lorelai wanted and i see that it was healthy. How many teenagers do you know can talk openly to their mothers? How many want to?

As for Logan, she loved him. Probably more than anyone else that came before him. They both have grown by knowing one another. They didn't tell each other what to do. I think they accepted each other with flaws and all. I don't think Rory had that much to complain about to Logan and neither did he.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:07:53 am by SIDNEY » Logged

Billy: Are we over the rainbow, Ally? Is this it? We used to sing as kids "over the rainbow".
We've gone from being people with bright futures to people who should be living their futures now.
roryshmory
Town Troubadour

Community Points: 11

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2008, 09:12:48 am »

First of all, why does it matter what Logan thinks? Everyone has a past, everyone has done mistakes and if Logan can't accept that then Rory is better off without him. Besides, he hasn't exacly been the perfect guy himself.

The Lorelai/Rory relationship was about communication and expressing their feelings. Lorelai didn't want to raise a daughter that she can control, she wanted someone to talk back to her. To let Rory have as much freedom as possible. So i don't really see anything bad about their relationship in early seasons. It was the relationship Lorelai wanted and i see that it was healthy. How many teenagers do you know can talk openly to their mothers? How many want to?

As for Logan, she loved him. Probably more than anyone else that came before him. They both have grown by knowing one another. They didn't tell each other what to do. I think they accepted each other with flaws and all. I don't think Rory had that much to complain about to Logan and neither did he.

However, this is the Rory UNAPPRECIATION thread.  It is where we post things we don't like about Rory.  If you do not agree then you need to post in the Rory APPRECIATION thread.
PascalÅ
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2009, 07:24:17 pm »

I just joined and wanted to emphasize something here:

In my view, a lot of what is disturbing about Rory that was never fully addressed falls on the writing that fell apart in Season 6.  Maybe the Palladinos were overhwelmed with the production, as they said, and lost control of the writing.  But Amy set up a beautiful denunciation of Rory's behavior from the judge in the Season 6 opener, and Jess did some minor follow through in the otherwise slow Episode 8 from that season ("Let Your Balalaikas Ring Out").   And it's sad we never had the follow through, because the final episodes in Season 5 set it up beautifully, performed amazingly by Lauren Graham (see what she does in "But I'm a Gilmore" with that pillow).

As some of you have said, we never got the payoff from someone in Rory's family letting her have it and getting through to her, largely because Lorelai (and probably Richard and Emily) were all trying to avoid the past.  But this, it seems to me, is where we had enormous missed opportunity – those really frighteningly bad episodes between episodes 2-9, where Lorelai was already at odds with Rory and had a chance to tell her the truth she was avoiding for so long.  The biggest missed opportunity was in Episode 4, the dreadful "Always a Godmother..." episode where they actually fought.   With better editing, that could have been a powerful moment, where one argument led to another and truths could have been spoken.

Of course, it could have been something more pervasive – we were treated to numerous horrible comments out of Rory's mouth trashing her father as a screwup and Luke with brilliant insight like "Men are stupid sometimes" – a fine sexist remark from an alleged genius, especially one who missed her mother's graduation for a guy, broke up a marriage for another guy, and committed a felony with yet another guy.  Maybe she's not as smart as she thinks, and someone should have told her just that. 
sid
Stars Hollow Tourist

Community Points: 3

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:47 am »

we never got the payoff from someone in Rory's family letting her

I quite agree - that was my problem with Rory - she never seemed to have any real serious long term consequences thrown at her for what she did, but there was for everybody else in her age group.  Jess drops out of school - he gets kicked out of Luke's, Lane has a fight with her mother and her mother tells her to leave so she moves in with the band, Paris becomes a dictator and is sacked as Yale News editor or her meltdown because she didn't get into Harvard, Dean cheating on his wife his life goes down the toilet, Logan jumping of a cliff at least landed him in hospital.

Rory on the other hand - nothing.  She misses her mother's graduation to go see Jess and her and her mother are alright five minutes later. She sleeps with a married man and everybody in Stars Hollow seems to pat her on the head and let her get on with things, in fact it seems she gets to get a free trip to Europe for it and then they breakup and then she is over it just like that, even if she had five minutes to say I wish I hadn't done that and I realise now I never really loved him and I promise not to do it again would have been nice. She steals a boat and then becomes the darling of the chain gang, and they ask her advice on things?!?   She drops out of Yale, seems to only live to run around after Logan and only Jess really calls her on it?

Then there is the thing with the dinner with the Huntzburgers, where she states 'But I'm a Gilmore' it isn't like she has sat there and watched her Grandparents trash every boyfriend she has had as not good enough, but she seems genuinaly shocked that someone might want to do it to her and even then there seems to be no realisation that Jess and Dean must have gone through the exact same thing.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: