No invite? No problem. GilmoreGirls.org 'attends' the TCA Press Tour
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 11:38:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Star  We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's best Gilmore Girls forum. The ORG Forum will be just that. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.  Star 
476536 Posts in 1593 Topics by 19873 Members
Latest Member: MadeleineF

DVD7
Copperboom! Season seven DVD sets are now on sale!
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  GilmoreGirls.org Forum
|-+  Gilmore Girls
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  No invite? No problem. GilmoreGirls.org 'attends' the TCA Press Tour
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: No invite? No problem. GilmoreGirls.org 'attends' the TCA Press Tour  (Read 37119 times)
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 647

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:10:24 am »

No invite? No problem. GilmoreGirls.org 'attends' the TCA Press Tour
By Heidi
July 17th, 2006

Cost of gas roundtrip: $16.00
Today's temperature: 96°F
Bottles of water consumed: 2
Number of times the 'slightly older' security guard smiled at me: 11? Maybe more
Number of east coast journalists wearing a white and green plaid shirt: 1 (Michael Ausiello)
Almost having ice water dumped on my head from the second story of The Ritz-Carlton while trying to obtain a GilmoreGirl.org exclusive: Priceless

Every January and July, the Television Critics Association holds a Press Tour in some swanky Los Angeles locale.  The tour, which gives television networks the opportunity to 'pimp' their shows, is covered by numerous entertainment journalists and columnists (including Internet favorites Kristin Veitch from E! Online and Michael Ausiello from TV Guide).  Networks normally use the tour to promote new television shows, often by having show-runners and cast talent explain to the critics why their show will be the next 'It'.  But this year, with The WB and UPN merging to become The CW, the network also opted to promote returning shows such as Veronica Mars and our favorite, Gilmore Girls.  And thus, an idea was born.

Thanks to a friend who kindly tipped me off about the date and time of the The CW's Gilmore Girls discussion panel (with Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, and David Rosenthal), I figured I might as well drop by.  After all, it's called a press tour, right?  I've run a Gilmore Girls fan site for six years.  I'm the ultimate press resource.  Who needs an invite?  I've got chutzpah.

As chronicled on GilmoreGirls.org in the past, I've met some of the show's cast members on a few different occasions.  Each time, my main goal is to try and obtain some kind of exclusive for the site (it's the journalist in me).  I want to ask the questions that fans want the answers to.  Yes, getting a photo or two for the site is nice.  But, interviews and inside scoop are so much better.     

The Gilmore panel was scheduled for 3:30pm and I arrived about an hour early.  I'd planned on arriving sooner, but in California traffic you can never tell if 30 miles equals 30 minutes (as it should) or if 30 miles equals an hour and a half (as it usually does).  Right as I was walking up to the lobby of The Ritz-Carlton, Huntington Hotel & Spa (the location for The CW's show panels), I spotted Alexis Bledel walking inside one of the hotel's ballrooms.  She was wearing a white dress with a brown belt and her hair was longer than in the season six finale.  And ... that's all I've got on Alexis.  I spotted her just the one time, which lasted all of 2 seconds.  I do hear that she made a wardrobe change (into "something blue") and attended The CW's party later in the evening, but that's from a secondhand source.

Lauren Graham arrived about an hour later; I think my watch said it was 3:27pm.  Because of her late arrival (the different show panels seemed to be running a little behind anyway) she opted not to walk down the small press line on her way in and instead promised to on the way out.

Judging by when all of the journalists entered and exited the main ballroom, I'm guesstimating that the Gilmore discussion started around 3:40pm and ended at 4:10pm.  It crossed my mind many times to simply walk through the double-doors and enter the ballroom with all of the journalists and other entertainment-types (I seriously doubt anyone would have stopped me), but I opted against it because, well, I didn't want to become known as 'that webmaster who tried to sneak in, but got caught, and was kicked out'. 

Once the panel was over and the journalists mingled about, I hit up some random folks to try and get the inside scoop.  I chatted up a reporter from the San Jose Mercury News who was standing next to me but unfortunately, he was not a Chatty Cathy.  When I asked him about the goings-on of the panel and if he learned anything interesting, he replied, "No.  It's safe to say no."  Well, thank you Mr. Helpful.  After talking to a few other columnists, I learned that the discussion was pretty much standard fare.  (If you'd like a more in-depth look at what Lauren, Alexis, and David had to say, I suggest reading this and this.)

Shortly after the panel ended, one of The CW's handlers (an unfancy word for someone who helps direct celebrities down a press line) announced that Lauren would be posing for photos and signing a few autographs before she left.  It was at this point that I realized there would be no time to ask my journalistic questions on this day and I'd instead have to settle for photos and video.

(Click images for larger views.)

While I didn't get the chance to interview anyone from the show, I was able to obtain this video as Lauren was doing press (make sure your speakers are on).  I suppose it will have to suffice as the GilmoreGirls.org exclusive.  (As far as I know, I was the only one with a video camera.)

So, that was my day.  Not fully successful, but not altogether unsuccessful either.  We can't win 'em all.

In case anyone was wondering about the 'almost having ice water dumped on my head' ... that came as I was leaving.  Actually, it came as I was deciding whether or not to stay a little longer or go home.  A hotel employee and I were talking just underneath a first-story overhang when out of no where came the sound of rushing water.  The next thing I knew a couple droplets hit me in the back of the head and I took a few steps forward.  Just as I was doing so, a gushing waterfall appeared from the roof because someone had apparently dumped out their old ice bucket.  (Classy.)  Afterward, the hotel employee turned to me and said, "That could have been bad."  Bad?  Having someone's dirty ice water dumped on my freshly washed and perfectly straightened hair, not to mention new jacket ... bad?  Ok, it's settled.  I'm going home. 

~Heidi

P.S. - Save the date ... September 26th marks the season seven premiere of the show. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:42:27 pm by Heidi » Logged

Flame    Flame
Culwings
Gilmore Maid

Community Points: 52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:36:31 am »

Very nice story ....Iīm glad we have a webmaster who has actually seen cast members ...makes you look credible  Wink

Shame that you didnīt get any inside scoop, but as I donīt want to know anything about season 7 until it starts on September 26 (Thankyou for at least finding that out Smiley ) I donīt really mind.

Nice photos from Lauren but did that woman put on weight  Huh

Never mind anyways well done

Java Junkie, Headliner and Gilmore Guy
honkifuluvGG
Pretty Town Spinster

Community Points: 1943

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:35:55 am »

hahahha great story Heidi, and how lucky are we to have such a dedicated administrator!! Smiley

The photos are great and the video sensational actually, very candid and god I would've hated to be her. Lotsa flashes and buzz it did my head in.  Shame there was no scoop to be had, but hey you tell it very well, and at least you tried.

BTW Cul, are you on drugs?Huh Wink   Lauren looks great, are we looking at the same pictures?? And shame on you for being so superficial - make sure you watch the video, because the pattern of her top is giving a bit of an optical illusion effect but when you see her moving around, she looks in tip top shape to me Grin

Thanks again Heidi Kiss

Please read Forum Rules
SydneyGirl
Diner Owner

Community Points: 250

bathroom kisses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:48:02 am »

yeah thanks for that and especially thanks for the pics and the vid. but boy that must be just horrible standing in front of all those cameras!!! i really felt a bit sorry for her (although it s ppart of the job) but she obviously can handle that...waht did she say to one of the photographers? "you re taking butt shots are u serious?!" she seemed a little bit annoyed i have to say..but who wouldn t be with all those cameras pointed at you!

and please?! put on weight? I don t think so...shame on u for saying that  Grin Cheesy Grin i think she looks amazing (as usual!!!)

www.myspace.com/sydneygirl1903

I kissed a Peds surgeon ...
She’s perky, and has butterflies on her scrubcap. But she’s also hot. Really hot ...
Help me get over the butterflies
Culwings
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:04:53 am »

ok ok she just looks slightly chubby round the face but after seeing the video she still looks woah hello there women 4 years younger then my mother . Roll Eyes

sternen-nest
Town Selectman

Community Points: 241

[ katrin ]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 08:46:41 am »

Heidi, the video is super and the pics are too. Iīd say you were very succesfull! Smiley
And your way of writing is really funny. The hotel employee is rondonculous!
Thanks so much for sharing all this.

Chocolate Club Member ~ DW at heart! [/tt]
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 09:09:51 am »

So cool!  Thanks for all of your hard work Heidi.

I hate to second Culwings, but I have to admit that my first thought was it looked like she has put on a couple of pounds. It could just be the outfit and stuff, but I know there have been rumors of her being pregnant and I have to admit it makes me wonder...

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Culwings
Gilmore Maid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:38:59 am »

thanks for the trust that you hate doing that Grin ....but i think 6-10 pounds at the most

Janich O
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:56:42 am »

Great writing, nice pictures and eksklusive video. And the fact that you don't gatecrash. You are a success, Heidi. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:58:34 am by Janich O » Logged
MasBYUgal
Inn Concierge

Community Points: 595

Org Awards : Best Sig Creator '06 & '07

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:24 am »

Hey Heidi!  I've got a question.  You mention the seperate arrival times of Lauren and Alexis, but that got me thinking.  You also mentioned the crazy LA traffic, which spawns this question -- How did Lauren and Alexis arrive at the event?  Did they drive in their own cars or did they have drivers?  I know this might be difficult, but I was curious.  Like did Lauren hit major traffic or was it her driver?  Or did Alexis make it with plenty of time to spare because she planned in advance?

I'm Melissa.

Just say, "Yes, M.A.M.M. !"
/Member of Queen B
Heidi
Administrator
Diner Chef

Community Points: 647

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:58:36 am »

Hey Heidi!  I've got a question.  You mention the seperate arrival times of Lauren and Alexis, but that got me thinking.  You also mentioned the crazy LA traffic, which spawns this question -- How did Lauren and Alexis arrive at the event?  Did they drive in their own cars or did they have drivers?  I know this might be difficult, but I was curious.  Like did Lauren hit major traffic or was it her driver?  Or did Alexis make it with plenty of time to spare because she planned in advance?

I only saw Alexis for that one split second, so I don't know how she arrived.  As for Lauren, I did see that she drove herself on the way out ... so I imagine that she drove herself to the event as well.

I also spotted a few other celebrities ... Chris Rock (Everybody Hates Chris), Leslie Hope (24/Everwood) and Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars).  I simply had bad timing for the day.  If I had stayed a little longer I most likely would have also been able to see Scott Patterson, Keiko Agena, Melissa McCarthy, Liza Weil, and Matt Czuchry.  If you take all that into consideration ... I wasn't altogether very successful.  I keep telling myself to be thankful that I got anything at all.  Undecided

~Heidi

Flame    Flame
Janich O
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:58 pm »

You missed Liza Shocked... gromble, grumble.
 Wink Kiss
kamibeaR
Diner Chef

Community Points: 452

Elphaba, Elphie, Fabala, Fae

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:06 pm »

Smiley i liked reading what you were able to get.
i don't know if i missed something somewhere, but do you or have writen for anything? magazines or something?
you're quite good.  Grin

*Kami*

"You know black, is this years pink!"

Sig by Laura.

Hearts Wicked and Twilight
Honourary Aussie
SPREE
Java Junkie
Narco/Headliner
sternen-nest
Town Selectman

Community Points: 241

[ katrin ]

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:34 pm »

You missed Liza Shocked... gromble, grumble.
 Wink Kiss

You missed Keiko? Just kidding!
Heidi, we love what you got for us.
And itīs the rondonculous employeeīs and ice-water-dumperīs fault that you didnīt get more. Shame on them.  Grin

Chocolate Club Member ~ DW at heart! [/tt]
talkingfriend
Inn Manager

Community Points: 341

Thanks Fanny!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 12:19:30 pm »

I wasn't altogether very successful.  I keep telling myself to be thankful that I got anything at all.  Undecided

come on...katrin is right, we love what you do for us

and anyway you are lucky you have seen lauren...i would really love to see somebody from gg, which i have not cause i live far far away

Gigi fan + narco + java junkie + spree + pts at Hearts + photography nerd + Austrian + British = marlies
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: